All-female Ghostbusters has been cast.

24,645 Views | 183 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Brian Earl Spilner
Teslag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
I can't speak for everyone, but personally I am OK with getting labelled "idiot" or "weirdo" for not seeing this movie, hating on the casting and speculating on what a massive load of fail this movie will be.

Same here. I'm not watching it. I don't care if it wins an Oscar and they pay me to watch it. This movie is trash.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'll probably watch it, I'll probably hate it, but I may like it. Either way, somebody not seeing a movie will never bother me. Unless we're talking classics like Godfather or Star Wars.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Some movies should never be touched. Halloween and Back to the Future come to mind, though I wouldn't quite put Ghostbusters on the "untouchable" list.

Halloween is the perfect horror movie, and is damn near impossible to improve upon, so a remake was not only pointless, it was a waste of my time and my money. As a huge fan of Halloween, I went to see it out of morbid curiosity, and even though it wasn't the worst movie ever made, there was no point whatsoever in making it.

If they ever decided to BttF, it would legitimately bother me. Nobody can replace Michael J Fox and Christopher Lloyd in those roles.

This movie being made bothers me almost as much as those examples. They're trying to recapture the greatness of Akroyd and Murray, but with women, which seems utterly futile. If you're not gonna be able to improve on it, why even bother. But I will keep an open mind until the day I sit in the theater.
atag
AG
Honestly as something of a feminist....I don't think it is so much of a woman hating thing as it is messing with a classic. A lot of us, myself included, grew up with ghostbusters....heck I had a slimer doll from the animated series. I have no problem with an all female cast.... My concern is they are remaking one of my favorite movies so my expectations will be insanely high and my concern is that they use the all female cast as a gimmick as opposed to just a great cast in general. I will wait on the reviews as we get closer....if we are nearing the release and critics and rt are raving about it I probably won't be able to help myself..... For nostalgia sake.
Sex Panther
AG
Hate to say it, but I can almost guarantee you that eventually... there will be some kind of Back to the Future sequel/reboot. I would bet my life on it.

Nostalgia sells
30_Days
AG
quote:
Hate to say it, but I can almost guarantee you that eventually... there will be some kind of Back to the Future sequel/reboot. I would bet my life on it.

Nostalgia sells
I can think of about 500 million reasons why we're in for an avalanche of 90s reboots in the near future
Knife_Party
Holy ****! That movie has already grossed 1billion worldwide??? I cannot even begin to imagine what star wars 7 is going to look like.
BarryProfit
quote:
I cannot imagine being that closed minded. You guys think you're standing for something, but you honestly just come across as weirdos. Besides, when we revisit this conversation in a year, after all the potentially positive reviews, your staunch, unfounded stance will evaporate, and you'll be in the theater just like everyone else. Again, I'm not saying this movie WILL be good. I'm just saying you have absolutely no idea, and you kind of come across as idiots being this adamant this far out.

Dude, take a Xanax. My choice to not see the movie is bc I think it's going to suck.

Your entire life revolves around movies. For many of us, that's not the case. Movies are a form of entertainment, not some social societal stance.
Bruce Almighty
AG
In 25 years will we be getting reboots of reboots?
wangus12
AG
Its gonna suck. It has that fat chick in it
Saxsoon
AG
quote:
Some movies should never be touched. Halloween and Back to the Future come to mind, though I wouldn't quite put Ghostbusters on the "untouchable" list.

Halloween is the perfect horror movie, and is damn near impossible to improve upon, so a remake was not only pointless, it was a waste of my time and my money. As a huge fan of Halloween, I went to see it out of morbid curiosity, and even though it wasn't the worst movie ever made, there was no point whatsoever in making it.

If they ever decided to BttF, it would legitimately bother me. Nobody can replace Michael J Fox and Christopher Lloyd in those roles.

This movie being made bothers me almost as much as those examples. They're trying to recapture the greatness of Akroyd and Murray, but with women, which seems utterly futile. If you're not gonna be able to improve on it, why even bother. But I will keep an open mind until the day I sit in the theater.
I think BttF is truly the only film that would bother me as well. I grew up on that series.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
In 25 years will we be getting reboots of reboots?
Did you miss the news about a new Spider-man?
MW03
AG
I feel like the board complains about reboots and sequels all the time, with the common theme being that they are made because they make money. The inference then is that if they don't make money, they won't be made in the future. It follows that refusing to see the movie this far out could have as much to do with sequel/reboot principle as it does with misogyny.

I happen to be in the small camp that finds Melissa McCarthy funny (with the noted exception of Tammy, which was Charles Barkley turrible), so I'm interested to see it. I can't say I'm excited about it without Peter Venkman and Ray Stantz, though.

RIP Egon.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Speaking of which.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/film/back-to-the-future/remake-sequel-robert-zemeckis/
Bruce Almighty
AG
Romancing the Stone is going to be remade? I like the movie, but holy crap, it's like they're throwing darts at a list of movies and then make the one it lands on.
Teslag
AG
I wouldn't mind a police academy reboot
Saxsoon
AG
quote:
Speaking of which.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/film/back-to-the-future/remake-sequel-robert-zemeckis/
May he live forever

Also, I miss trailers like that with the voiceover
MW03
AG
quote:
I wouldn't mind a police academy reboot
Now we're talking.
Gigem314
AG
My favorite comment from the Ghostbusters FB page:

This movie is going to be a giant pile of ecto****
easttexasaggie04
AG
Ghostbusters and Back to the Future are my two all time favorite movies. I had hoped they'd never be redone without the original cast. Growing up in the 80's, these movies were the ****.
Knife_Party
Ghostbusters is second only to Star Wars as a childhood defining movie for me. Could you imagine if they wanted to remake star wars and were like "I know! Let's have an all female main cast with the female Han and Leia having a lesbian love story!"
Professor Frick
AG
Would that 'ruin your childhood' somehow?

You know remake doesn't mean replace right? Those originals get to keep existing.
TCTTS
AG
The whining going on in this thread has actually now made me root FOR remakes/reboots. Never thought that'd happen.
TCTTS
AG
This is one of the most irrational arguments I've read yet. That doesn't even make sense.
BarryProfit
I agree with TCTTS that if you have a problem with this movie for any other reason than you think it's going to suck you might want to reevaluate things.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
quote:
I happen to be in the small camp that finds Melissa McCarthy funny (with the noted exception of Tammy, which was Charles Barkley turrible), so I'm interested to see it.
I have seen one movie that she starred in and that was "Spy." And it was f-ing hilarious and so was she. If the same guy who wrote/directed that movie is doing this "Ghostbusters" sequel, then I'll at least give it a chance (and Ghostbusters is maybe the greatest comedy film of all time, imo) .
TCTTS
AG
No rational thought allowed in this thread, Bill!
TajMaballer
AG
quote:
This is one of the most irrational arguments I've read yet. That doesn't even make sense.

Come on TC, remember the poster who said Michael B Jordan playing the Human Torch is the same as a white guy playing Michael Jordan? There's no way I made that up right?

Also, I've met Paul Feig at a screening of Spy and was really nice! Anything he is attached to, I will support fully.
jackie childs

AliasMan02
AG
So is this a sequel? Like these girls are the new ghostbusters with a franchise or something? Or is this a straight up remake (same story... same script, almost) of the original, like when they made an all black version of Death at a Funeral?
TCTTS
AG
Pretty sure it's a remake. 99% certain there haven't been Ghostbusters in this world already.
AliasMan02
AG
If there's a reason to be excited about this movie, it might be the concept of Wiig essentially playing Venkman, hitting on her experiment subject at the beginning of the movie. Basically playing a female Bill Murray without changing a thing. Sort of like Sigourney Weaver playing what was supposed to me a male character in Ripley.

That's not what we'll get, but it would be funny.
Saxsoon
AG
quote:
quote:
I happen to be in the small camp that finds Melissa McCarthy funny (with the noted exception of Tammy, which was Charles Barkley turrible), so I'm interested to see it.
I have seen one movie that she starred in and that was "Spy." And it was f-ing hilarious and so was she. If the same guy who wrote/directed that movie is doing this "Ghostbusters" sequel, then I'll at least give it a chance (and Ghostbusters is maybe the greatest comedy film of all time, imo) .
Spy was really really good. It was a straight up action flick but was hilarious at the same time. . Any chance they make McCarthy the bigger focus they put in promotions and even the movie after the success with Spy? I think most people recognize that she is a great actress that got caught up in a series of ****ty characters (kind of like the terrible disguises in Spy) some due to her own fault granted.

Is this McKinnon's and Jones first movie deal? I like McKinnon as well but agree that Jones is terribad.
MW03
AG
She was pretty funny in The Heat FWIW.
Saxsoon
AG
quote:
She was pretty funny in The Heat FWIW.
I do really like the Heat and she was great but I think it fell in line with some of her other roles in being the crude fat person.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.