All-female Ghostbusters has been cast.

24,637 Views | 183 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Brian Earl Spilner
Mr. White
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
I never understood why anybody would HOPE that a movie does terrible. It's one thing to speculate that it will, but it's another thing to hope that it does.

I hope that EVERY movie is a good movie and that if it is it'll do well. Movies employ hundreds, sometimes thousands, of people. They're the result of the creative energy of many of them and the labor of many more.

I hope this movie is good, and I think it will be.

A lot of people hope all these remakes/reboots fail because they are lazy uncreative productions. When they start failing at the box office, Hollywood stops making them. Then maybe they'll figuratively put the Xbox controller down, get off the couch, take a shower, comb their hair, put some decent clothes on and get to work.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
I thought the original Ghostbusters was meh. Now they're going to make it even worse??
This man has no dick.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
The original is one of the 5 greatest comedies of all time.

That era had a lot of good action comedies. Ghostbusters, Fletch, Romancing the Stone, Jewel of the Nile (not as good as RtS, but still), and Beverly Hills Cop all came out in 84-85. Big Trouble in Little China was 86.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Back to the Future?
Al Bula
AG
quote:
quote:
Rooting for this to fail. Overused SNL cast member (think Amy Poehler) and loudmouth fat chick. Epic fail.

You sound like a really fun person who enjoys life.
I enjoy lots of things in life, and I'm quite fun.

Melissa McCarthy is not one of them. Melissa McCarthy is not funny. Fat dudes like Candy and Farley can pull of fat and funny. Fat women are terrible at comedy. Kate McKinnon is absolutely overused on SNL and is riding that wave to a nice paycheck.

You sound like someone who wouldn't know good comedy if it jumped up and bit you in the ass.
30_Days
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Rooting for this to fail. Overused SNL cast member (think Amy Poehler) and loudmouth fat chick. Epic fail.

Melissa McCarthy is not one of them. Melissa McCarthy is not funny. Fat dudes like Candy and Farley can pull of fat and funny. Fat women are terrible at comedy. Kate McKinnon is absolutely overused on SNL and is riding that wave to a nice paycheck.

You sound like someone who wouldn't know good comedy if it jumped up and bit you in the ass.
"good comedy" is comedy that makes a lot of people laugh. The fact that she doesn't make YOU laugh is irrelevant. Most people think Melissa McCarthy is funny, as evidenced by her success.

Spy is 95% on RT
Bridesmaids is 90%
The Heat is 65%

She's had some big misses, like Tammy and Identity Thief though.

Bruce Almighty
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Blow it out your ass and find yourself a spin cycle.
TCTTS
AG
technoengr
AG
Will see this because I love a good trainwreck.
heddleston
AG
I think Melissa McCarthy is legitimately hilarious. Yeah Mike and Molly is garbage, and so is The Millers. That doesnt make Will Arnett unfunny. She hosted SNL a few years back and it was one of my favorite episodes i'd seen in years.
Cyprian
AG
This is not Ghostbusters.

This is an abomination.
30_Days
AG
quote:
This is not Ghostbusters.

This is an abomination.
you haven't even seen it yet
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
No Bill Murray, no Ghostbusters.
Removed:09182020
AG
Yea, what's next, a female Starbuck in BSG?
Belton Ag
AG
This movie makes me sad.
PatAg
AG
Kristen Wiig is funny, and Melissa McCarthy CAN be hilarious as well. That Leslie Jones or whatever name only has one gimmick, and its not funny. I don't get how she was chosen for SNL, much less this movie.

The thing about Chris Farley is, he wasn't funny because he was fat. He was a funny dude, who happened to be fat. Not all of his humor was based on him being obese.
30_Days
AG
quote:
This movie makes me sad.
so you've seen it?
Belton Ag
AG
quote:
quote:
This movie makes me sad.
so you've seen it?
Nope, and I won't,
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Teslag
AG
Not watching this craptastic mess either and I'm female.
TCTTS
AG
The vast majority of you are going to see this movie, and I'm betting you love it. You can pout in the corner with your arms crossed as much as you want, but at the end of the day, it's Paul Feig (Freaks and Geeks, Bridesmaids, Spy) directing an insanely talented and hilarious female cast (save for Leslie Jones - right there with you guys in not liking her at all). I love and revere the original Ghostbusters as much as anyone, but in the end it's a comedy featuring comedians killing ghosts with lasers. If they want to basically remake it with a phenomenal director and cast, no matter the gender, I'm not going to sulk about it and act like they're remaking Jaws or something. In fact, I'm genuinely looking forward to the spin they put on this thing.
PatAg
AG
Basically I think Jones is going to ruin the movie with how awful she is. Kristen Wiig will hopefully be able to carry her. I like her in the movies where she is allowed to act instead of just being the "hey I'm kinda awkward" character she does a lot on snl.
TCTTS
AG
Surely Jones has the smallest part of the four, and by a significant amount. At least I hope that's the case.
Knife_Party
I won't be seeing this. Lot of hollywood movies I haven't seen.
BarryProfit
Also put me in the camp that won't see it.
TCTTS
AG
I cannot imagine being that closed minded. You guys think you're standing for something, but you honestly just come across as weirdos. Besides, when we revisit this conversation in a year, after all the potentially positive reviews, your staunch, unfounded stance will evaporate, and you'll be in the theater just like everyone else. Again, I'm not saying this movie WILL be good. I'm just saying you have absolutely no idea, and you kind of come across as idiots being this adamant this far out.
Belton Ag
AG
quote:
I cannot imagine being that closed minded. You guys think you're standing for something, but you honestly just come across as weirdos. Besides, when we revisit this conversation in a year, after all the potentially positive reviews, your staunch, unfounded stance will evaporate, and you'll be in the theater just like everyone else. Again, I'm not saying this movie WILL be good. I'm just saying you have absolutely no idea, and you kind of come across as idiots being this adamant this far out.
LOL weirdos and idiots? There are TONS of movies coming out in the next few years that I won't want to watch, and I hardly think it makes someone a "weirdo" for not wanting to watch a movie. Has there ever been a movie that you didn't want to watch?

And keep in mind I'm not judging anyone for wanting to see it.
PatAg
AG
My hope is that my expectations will have been lowered so much, that it should be able to exceed easily. I think TCTTS is talking to the couple of guys whose reason for not going is because of them being women.
If you aren't going because it looks like it has the makings of a bad movie, thats fine.

My plan is to hope someone, whose opinion I trust, goes and says its decent.
PatAg
AG
I also think if it was Adam Sandler and friends, it would get the same reaction. My take, is only Kristen Wiig seems a match for the subject matter, not sure if the others are capable.
Belton Ag
AG
quote:
My hope is that my expectations will have been lowered so much, that it should be able to exceed easily. I think TCTTS is talking to the couple of guys whose reason for not going is because of them being women.
If you aren't going because it looks like it has the makings of a bad movie, thats fine.

My plan is to hope someone, whose opinion I trust, goes and says its decent.
I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not going to see it for reasons other than it just being women. I loved Bridesmaids, went to the theater to see it, and am generally a fan of Kristen Wiig and Melissa McCarthy.
Bruce Almighty
AG
If it's a good movie I'm not going to let the cast keep me from enjoying it. I thought Bridesmaids was going to be horrible. I went and saw it because of the amazing reviews and thought it was the funniest movie of the year. With these types of movies, it's the screenplay that's more important.
TCTTS
AG

quote:
LOL weirdos and idiots? There are TONS of movies coming out in the next few years that I won't want to watch, and I hardly think it makes someone a "weirdo" for not wanting to watch a movie. Has there ever been a movie that you didn't want to watch?

Of course. And no question, I've sh*t-talked PLENTY of movies in advance. But what I don't do is say - a YEAR before the movie comes out - that I definitely WILL NOT see something. Especially something from a director who's made two hilarious movies, and a cast that, for the most part, I genuinely like.

quote:
I think TCTTS is talking to the couple of guys whose reason for not going is because of them being women.

Bingo. This thread has veered at times into some pretty misogynist-seeming territory, which is super lame. So, yes, "weirdos" = the people hating on it because it's four women now, and "idiots" = the people who have NO IDEA how good this movie will or will not be, saying a year out that they won't see it.

Again, this movie could totally suck. And everyone here has every right to express their opinion as to how good or bad it may be. That's not what I have a problem with. The ONLY point I'm making is that it's ridiculous to say RIGHT NOW that you absolutely won't see it, especially out of some misguided stance against an all-women version of this movie, Hollywood's lack of originality, putting the original on a pedestal, or whatever. A funny movie is a funny movie, remake or not, and it's just completely stupid to take these kinds of definitive positions at this point in the game. AT LEAST wait 'til the first trailer hits.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
If it's a good movie I'm not going to let the cast keep me from enjoying it. I thought Bridesmaids was going to be horrible. I went and saw it because of the amazing reviews and thought it was the funniest movie of the year. With these types of movies, it's the screenplay that's more important.
Exactly.
Al Bula
AG
I can't speak for everyone, but personally I am OK with getting labelled "idiot" or "weirdo" for not seeing this movie, hating on the casting and speculating on what a massive load of fail this movie will be.
TCTTS
AG
Again, you're missing my point. Hate on it all you want, I don't care. I'm not arguing whether it looks bad or not. I actually agree with quite a few negative-leaning points made on the thread. Just don't say definitively, a year out, that you WON'T see it. Especially, considering the talent involved, that it actually has a decent chance of being pretty funny. That's all I'm saying.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.