All-female Ghostbusters has been cast.

24,254 Views | 183 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Brian Earl Spilner
swimmerbabe11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
And it will bomb because no matter how much certain elements want and try to completely re-engineer normal gender based roles, it just doesn't work. We are wired they way we are.

I don't agree with this.

I really think the problem is the screaming "THEY ARE FEMALE LOOK AT HOW FEMALE AND FUNNY THEY ARE WE ARE MAKING THIS TO PROVE A POINT"

If they didn't make a big deal about one or two being a chick, it wouldn't be a problem. Assuming the female part was well cast, she'd be funny and unobtrusive. The nonchalant addition of women/diversity as though it was always normal does more for the 'cause' of feminism/diversity/whatever than trying to create these big polarizing statements.
bigjag19
AG
When McCarthy was in Tammy, I commented on her being typecast.

Then learned she wrote that one.
powerbelly
AG
McCarthy and Wiig...

0/10. Will not watch.
COOL LASER FALCON
quote:
When McCarthy was in Tammy, I commented on her being typecast.

Then learned she wrote that one.
Damn, that's disappointing.
tysker
AG
Wait, McCarthy's going to be a Ghostbuster? I thought they were bringing back slimer
G Martin 87
AG
I liked McCarthy in St. Vincent opposite Bill Murray. Her performance was great, and they had good chemistry onscreen. But she was playing a "normal" mom character, not her usual gross out role.
jbsj9698
AG
I just don't see the need to reboot the Ghostbuster franchise no matter who the cast is. I really don't think the movie-going public is clamoring for this movie to be made. Maybe I'm wrong but this looks like a flop in the making.
Saxsoon
AG
quote:
quote:
And it will bomb because no matter how much certain elements want and try to completely re-engineer normal gender based roles, it just doesn't work. We are wired they way we are.

I don't agree with this.

I really think the problem is the screaming "THEY ARE FEMALE LOOK AT HOW FEMALE AND FUNNY THEY ARE WE ARE MAKING THIS TO PROVE A POINT"

If they didn't make a big deal about one or two being a chick, it wouldn't be a problem. Assuming the female part was well cast, she'd be funny and unobtrusive. The nonchalant addition of women/diversity as though it was always normal does more for the 'cause' of feminism/diversity/whatever than trying to create these big polarizing statements.
DCC99
AG
Sidebar: Who would you rather see nude? Melissa McCarthy or Bill Murray?
G Martin 87
AG
quote:
Sidebar: Who would you rather see nude? Melissa McCarthy or Bill Murray?

Sorry, can't help you. You're just going to have to pick your next date on your own.
Worm01
AG
I suppose Ryan Gosling or Chris Pike will play the part of Sigourney Weaver?
FL_Ag1998
AG
A sequel would be more tolerable than a reboot, but the all-female casting is an unnecessary gimmick that's actually a turn-off.
bevokilla
AG
quote:
I guess I'll be the guy who is excited for this! Kate McKinnon is the best thing about SNL right now and am excited to see her in more movies. Also they had me at Paul Feig
She annoys the **** out of me on SNL
israeliag
AG
I'll reserve judgement until I see it at home.
BEaggie08
AG
quote:
I suppose Ryan Gosling or Chris Pine will play the part of Sigourney Weaver?
FIFY...olds
Know Your Enemy
AG
quote:
Winston looks the same.
Gigem314
AG
Honestly, if Murray had ever come around...I would rather have seen a sequel with Peter, Ray, and Winston...even without Egon (may he rest in peace). You simply can't top Peter Venkman. He made the series.

I'm sure this one will have its moments, because Wiig and McCarthy do make me laugh at times. But I have a feeling it will be very 'Bridesmaid's/Tammy'-like with too much CGI.

The thing about Ghostbusters is that while it's a comedy, it was never an SNL-movie type of comedy. I think this one will be too silly. We'll see though.
Knife_Party
I saw Tammy. ****ing awful movie. Did not find it funny. Wiig is good.
phatbc
So I just looked up Kate McKinnon because I was curious to read more about her, all I know her from is SNL.

Homegirl is 31??? I thought she was ~40+. Interesting fact of the day....
Motel California
S
#horrible
Texags is garbage
I liked the old Ghostbusters, but not nearly as much as some of you. Holy crap, this is an absolutely awful idea in every way possible though. I seriously want to beat the **** out of whoever thought this was a good idea. I'm fully convinced ISIS or North Korea is somehow involved with bringing this movie to fruition.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Shouldn't Melissa McCarthy be playing the Stay Puff Marshmallow Man?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
Shouldn't Melissa McCarthy be playing the Stay Puff Marshmallow Man?
Al Bula
AG
Rooting for this to fail. Overused SNL cast member (think Amy Poehler) and loudmouth fat chick. Epic fail.

VanZandt92
quote:
Will not watch. I hate Hollywood.
staedtler
quote:
Rooting for this to fail. Overused SNL cast member (think Amy Poehler) and loudmouth fat chick. Epic fail.

You sound like a really fun person who enjoys life.
Mr. White
There are a lot of fun people who are tired of current lazy Hollywood.
gigemags-99
AG
With very few exceptions, I do not find women funny. Especially when they are trying to be, like stand up comedy and comedy movies.
Agustus Caesar
AG
I think Kristen Wiig is hilarious.

Try not to take yourselves too seriously.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I'll withhold judgement until the movie comes out. If it sucks, it's not because it's a bunch of women.
30_Days
AG
I never understood why anybody would HOPE that a movie does terrible. It's one thing to speculate that it will, but it's another thing to hope that it does.

I hope that EVERY movie is a good movie and that if it is it'll do well. Movies employ hundreds, sometimes thousands, of people. They're the result of the creative energy of many of them and the labor of many more.

I hope this movie is good, and I think it will be.
MW03
AG
I think it could be funny. It all depends on how seriously it takes itself. The best part about Ghostbusters was how serious the characters were (save Venkman) within the confines of what was definitely a comedy.
Kashchei
AG
I thought the original Ghostbusters was meh. Now they're going to make it even worse??
gigemags-99
AG
quote:
I thought the original Ghostbusters was meh. Now they're going to make it even worse??

You shut your filthy mouth!!!!
Bruce Almighty
AG
The original is one of the 5 greatest comedies of all time.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.