*** DC Extended Universe ***

797,419 Views | 7643 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by TCTTS
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Holy sh*t. All this talk made me want to take a peek at Abrams' script again and after skimming a bit I randomly landed at this page. Talk about being unintentionally timely...

Sex Panther
AG
I'd vote for Lex... I like his policy on illegal aliens
TCTTS
AG
Brick Tamland
What's interesting to me is that all the Affleck leaving articles were published in the same week Justice League releases in theaters
YouBet
AG
FTACO97 said:

bthomas98 said:

Agree with finding their Feige. I though they had a guy from the comics (Johns maybe?) that was supposed to be their godfather for the DCEU going forward.

Whoever is running things for the DC animated universe is doing a pretty good job
They did appoint Geoff Johns in sort of their "Feige" role but I have yet to see any substantial leadership from him, and there have continued to be really weird movies announced since he took on the role. He's an awesome story teller and leader in the comics, but not sure he has the abilities that Feige has.

IMO, the failure of Man of Steel, BvS and Justice League was WB/DC's insistence on using Snyder and then continuing with him as each film failed more than the last. Then handing over JL to Whedon in the 11th hour and interfering and sticking with an unrealistic release date gave us a disjointed film that showed potential at points.

To me, the only DC character that fits in the dark Snyder worldview is Batman. The rest, particularly Superman, should have a more colorful and vibrant world.

Good reminder. In this thread or another there was an inside article on his ascension to the Feige role and it talked about how he was taking everything in a new direction and owned the DCEU going forward. Basically kind of writing off the movies up to that point. That doesn't seem to have happened but I also don't quite recall the timing of his takeover. In other words, don't recall after which movie he took full control.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Some additional interesting tidbits...

Brick Tamland
I bet her crew from the first movie is there in flashbacks, Pine included
AgMarauder04
AG
I thought I read something about his grandson being in the movie or something.
Brick Tamland
Interesting way to bring him back
Quad Dog
AG
Quote:

It wasn't until next year, when Man of Steel did less than stellar numbers in June 2013, that WB finally panicked.
This narrative really interests me. Man of Steel did well.
All numbers via wikipedia:
Man of Steel (2013) made $668 million, 43 million in profit, budget of $225 million and is considered a failure.
Winter Soldier (2014) made $714 million, 166.2 million in profit. Budget of $170 million.

Just because it didn't get up into the billions numbers of Batman or Avengers it was a failure. Reduce the budget, make more profit, and it looks much better.
TCTTS
AG
I'm just the messenger. I hear you, but WB simply expected it to make more, as did a lot of people. Reviews weren't all that great, either, and no one was really clamoring for a sequel. So WB panicked.
Gigem314
AG
Sex Panther said:

I'd vote for Lex... I like his policy on illegal aliens
He would probably be a lot more effective at spying on other candidates and coming up with ideas to hurt their chances than Obama and Hillary were.
Brick Tamland
Was reading an article that claims the Flash movie is no longer Flashpoint, at least in name
AliasMan02
AG
Brick Tamland said:

Was reading an article that claims the Flash movie is no longer Flashpoint, at least in name

Now he'll be fighting the Condiment King as the big bad in the film. But a really REALLY DARK take on the character.
israeliag
AG
Brick Tamland said:

Let me help you out.
https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-standalone-flash-movie-is-getting-a-name-change-1824298028
Quote:

The Hollywood Reporter's Borys Kit reports the Flash solo film will not be titled Flashpoint, after allbut the film will allegedly still be loosely adapting the Flashpoint storyline.
Brick Tamland
Thanks, brah
Brick Tamland
It's funny you say that, one of my students bought a Flash LEGO activity book and Condiment King was one of the villains
Brick Tamland
More rumors:

WB "tricked" people into a test screening for Aquaman by saying it was an action movie from New Line. Reviews were very positive.

This guy claims that The Batman will be set before BvS and deal with a younger Bruce and the death of Jason Todd. Might be why Reeves wants a younger Batman for his movie (I know the Affleck rumors, but still).

http://manabyte.com/2018/04/rumor-matt-reeves-the-batman-may-deal-with-a-very-famous-comic-story-line/amp/#click=https://t.co/H4fOk5yxBh
TCTTS
AG
Brick Tamland
Dang.. good find
TCTTS
AG
FTACO97
AG
TCTTS said:

oh darn....

I think they should take the opportunity to cast a lesser known or unknown actor for it
AliasMan02
AG
Aren't there coaches and directors in Hollywood capable of crafting an actor for a role? I know not everyone can act, but if they auditioned 100 nobodies and worked with the best handful for a year, couldn't the right team CREATE a great Batman?
Sex Panther
AG
AliasMan02 said:

Aren't there coaches and directors in Hollywood capable of crafting an actor for a role? I know not everyone can act, but if they auditioned 100 nobodies and worked with the best handful for a year, couldn't the right team CREATE a great Batman?

That's not how it works 95% of the time though for a blockbuster. You have to have a star. There are actors and actresses that can get people to see a movie just because they are in them. I know there are some exceptions but there is no way Batman would get cast without having a draw actor in the role.

I have a buddy in the industry who was telling me about how his company booted Jared Leto from a movie because they said, "he's not a movie star". I responded with "are you crazy? He's absolutely a star". He rattled off the reasons that he's not and it made sense somewhat. Not sure I agreed, but it was interesting nonetheless.

edit: Also the actor they went with instead of Leto was Mark Wahlberg
israeliag
AG
You mean to say we might get the actor we deserve, but not the one we need right now?
AliasMan02
AG
All true. What might tip the balance is, however, if they kept who was playing Bats a total secret. Could be fun.
MooreTrucker
AG
AliasMan02 said:

All true. What might tip the balance is, however, if they kept who was playing Bats a total secret. Could be fun.
But then it would have to be somebody big. Otherwise, it's tease with no payoff.
Whos Juan
AG
MooreTrucker said:

AliasMan02 said:

But then it would have to be somebody big. Otherwise, it's tease with no payoff.
Soooo George Clooney?
AliasMan02
AG
MooreTrucker said:

AliasMan02 said:

No payoff in the DCEU? Crazy talk.
TCTTS
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I guess if this was a Marvel or Star Wars movie, there'd be all kinds of predictions of pending failure, crapfest, etc ... but given the board's general opinion of all things DCU (mostly warranted, I might add), eh, nothing to see here.

edit - with regard to the reshoots
rhutton125
AG
I don't know if I agree on the "you need a star for a blockbuster" conversation. It may be true for most blockbusters but I don't think it is for superhero films. Chris Hemsworth wasn't really anyone before Thor. Chris Evans was only "the old Human Torch" for the most part before Captain America. I think you could cast an up-and-comer as Batman and people would still turn out to see Batman.

Now, that guy needs to at last have done it on some level. I don't think you can just make an actor out of scraps. But superhero movies have been making stars lately, more than stars making superhero movies.

Just my two cents.
Sex Panther
AG
That's a good point...
MooreTrucker
AG
True. Look at the disaster that RDJ was until Iron Man. Now he's one of the faces of the MCU franchise.
First Page Last Page
Page 78 of 219

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.