*** DC Extended Universe ***

798,751 Views | 7643 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by TCTTS
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
He was who I first mentioned way back before Ben Affleck was announced.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

But please, please, please just kill the DCEU and let this be it's own thing. Don't recast and go solo, but then also keep this in the same, stupid world, and the same, stupid continuity.
This would be terrible.

The DCEU is 4 years old at this point. Another reboot would just be exhausting at this point. It would be the third Batman in less than a decade.

We need to stop with the rebooting everything.
TCTTS
AG
Affleck is likely done regardless. Batman is getting recast. And the thought of watching another actor try to play the same role in this world, in this continuity, doesn't even remotely excite me. Do people really want to see a solo Batman movie, with a different actor, set in the same world where aliens now exist? A world with Amazons and Gods and Green Lanterns? Watching Batman go back to playing criminal detective in that world seems kind of dumb and anticlimactic now. Personally, I would much rather Batman exist in his own, more grounded/noir reality, where none of this fantastical sci-fi stuff exists.

I would much rather see the DCEU finish up with Aquaman, a Wonder Woman sequel, and then MAYBE wrap it all up where it began, with Superman in a Man of Steel sequel. And then just call it a day. No reboot of the DCEU after or anything like that. But at that point, start a separate, solo Batman franchise again. The one Reeves is hinting at with more of a detective/noir feel, but it's own thing, not part of any bigger universe.
Sex Panther
AG
TCTTS said:

Do people really want to see a solo Batman movie, with a different actor, set in the same world where aliens now exist? A world with Amazons and Gods and Green Lanterns?

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

Personally, I would much rather Batman exist in his own, more grounded/noir reality, where none of this fantastical sci-fi stuff exists.
So... Nolan's trilogy?

I would assume that this solo Batman would be a prequel and wouldn't necessarily tie into the current DCEU all that much, other than it happens to take place in the same universe. Maybe a couple easter eggs here and there, but nothing beyond that.

Edit: Although it would be cool to get that backstory on Robin's death.
rhutton125
AG
Kind of like Spider-Man: Homecoming, but without the other universe tie-ins, perhaps. (Third actor in 10 years, back to the roots, small adventure in a universe full of aliens)
FTACO97
AG
TCTTS said:

Do people really want to see a solo Batman movie, with a different actor, set in the same world where aliens now exist? A world with Amazons and Gods and Green Lanterns? Watching Batman go back to playing criminal detective in that world seems kind of dumb and anticlimactic now. Personally, I would much rather Batman exist in his own, more grounded/noir reality, where none of this fantastical sci-fi stuff exists.

So essentially you want DC to make Batman movies that don't fit with the comic books that they print every month? Because even though you don't like it, Batman does exist in that world in DC comics. Sure he has his own stories and comics, but he's also part of the Justice League.
TCTTS
AG
What works in the comic books doesn't always work for the screen. Besides, cinematically, the Justice League is dead. Its box office performance this past weekend ensured that.
FTACO97
AG
TCTTS said:

Besides, cinematically, the Justice League is dead. Its box office performance this past weekend ensured that.
I'm seeing this everywhere on forums. Is it because people want to declare it a failure or is it truth? Film is now sitting at $111+mil domestic (almost $300mil worldwide) after yesterday, so it made $18mil on Monday/Tuesday and it's likely to continue to add on quite a bit for this holiday week.

What's the historical data on box office earnings the weekend before Thanksgiving, given that people are traveling to other places, etc. And then what's the historical on what a film released the Friday before makes the Thanksgiving holiday week and weekend?
TCTTS
AG
I'm not trying to be dismissive, but it really doesn't matter. A Justice League movie - one fans have been waiting for even longer than an Avengers movie - made less than $100M at the box office opening weekend. That's an absolute disaster, no matter the circumstances. And to make matters worse, a THIRD Thor movie made far more two weekends prior. Think about that. Thor/Marvel are somehow more popular than Superman/Batman/Wonder Woman/Aquaman/The Flash combined. A junior high AV club couldn't have screwed up this franchise worse.
double aught
AG
I think Thor's budget was significantly lower too.
FL_Ag1998
AG
FTACO97 said:

TCTTS said:

Do people really want to see a solo Batman movie, with a different actor, set in the same world where aliens now exist? A world with Amazons and Gods and Green Lanterns? Watching Batman go back to playing criminal detective in that world seems kind of dumb and anticlimactic now. Personally, I would much rather Batman exist in his own, more grounded/noir reality, where none of this fantastical sci-fi stuff exists.

So essentially you want DC to make Batman movies that don't fit with the comic books that they print every month? Because even though you don't like it, Batman does exist in that world in DC comics. Sure he has his own stories and comics, but he's also part of the Justice League.

Not entirely true. A Batman film universe based on the Long Halloween, Hush, Court of Owls, etc. stories would not only be based on actual comic book stories obviously but based on more "grounded" threats and, flat out awesome, IMO.
Murder Hornet
AG
What we really need is an in depth exploration of Batman's origin. What his parents death did to him,why he started fighting crime. This is something no Batman movie has explored
Murder Hornet
AG
Court of owls would be money
Cromagnum
AG
If they somehow decide to follow up Justice League with a sequel and actually introduce The League of Doom, they better keep Jessie Eisenberg a million miles away. That dude sucked balls as Lex Luther.
AgMarauder04
AG
TCTTS said:

I'm not trying to be dismissive, but it really doesn't matter. A Justice League movie - one fans have been waiting for even longer than an Avengers movie - made less than $100M at the box office opening weekend. That's an absolute disaster, no matter the circumstances. And to make matters worse, a THIRD Thor movie made far more two weekends prior. Think about that. Thor/Marvel are somehow more popular than Superman/Batman/Wonder Woman/Aquaman/The Flash combined. A junior high AV club couldn't have screwed up this franchise worse.

Zack.Snyder.kills.everything.I.love.
Ambres
AG
The funny thing is that .. the issue is not really the scripts.. oh they can be tweaked and improve but their were three good movies in MoS, BvS and JL. The issue is some support character .. just didn't work. Lex was a train wreck.. horrible casting choice.

The second problem is that they try to do too much in BvS and JL. BvS didn't need Doomsday in that story and JL was really two movies crammed together.

So to conclude.. I blame Snyder for what should have been easy money to Warner Brother. Justice League should have been the highest grossing comic book movie of all time.
Ambres
AG
TCTTS said:

What works in the comic books doesn't always work for the screen. Besides, cinematically, the Justice League is dead. Its box office performance this past weekend ensured that.
I agree that JL is dead but don't agree that it won't work in the comic books. Marvel has proven that concepts as technology, magic and gods can work in a movie together. When Dr Strange came out.. people said that it would not work; however, the 5 mins of Dr Strange interaction with Thor was awesome (magic and gods) and then in Skar we saw technology play with gods.

Is it hard to make these concepts work together ..yes but it can be done with the right people directing, writing and producing.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
AggieLitigator
Rumor that Joss Whedon fired from Batgirl
YouBet
AG
Gyllenhaal has Batman? Ug, no. I like him but he's too weird for that role.

I like the Karl Urban idea but I also don't think Nolan's movies will ever be topped and will only ever rent these movies going forward.
Forum Troll
AG
Gyllenhaal seems more workable as Tim Drake than Bruce Wayne imo.
AliasMan02
AG
Some actors have got to be wary about hooking up with DC at this point, right? Who in their lineup is happy? Their true star, Gadot, had to threaten to quit to get the studio to not move on from the director of the best entry in the series (Jenkins). Playing Batman should be, and often was cited as being a dream role for Affleck and he's trying like hell to get out.

Isn't that going to give A-listers pause?
Whos Juan
AG
You think at this point they'd just let Kevin Smith direct a Batman movie, bring back Affleck and have Matt Damon play Robin.
Grimey
If they make Jake Gyllenhall into Batman, and Heath Ledger was Joker, then...?

Living Legend
AG
TCTTS said:

Affleck is likely done regardless. Batman is getting recast. And the thought of watching another actor try to play the same role in this world, in this continuity, doesn't even remotely excite me. Do people really want to see a solo Batman movie, with a different actor, set in the same world where aliens now exist? A world with Amazons and Gods and Green Lanterns? Watching Batman go back to playing criminal detective in that world seems kind of dumb and anticlimactic now. Personally, I would much rather Batman exist in his own, more grounded/noir reality, where none of this fantastical sci-fi stuff exists.

I would much rather see the DCEU finish up with Aquaman, a Wonder Woman sequel, and then MAYBE wrap it all up where it began, with Superman in a Man of Steel sequel. And then just call it a day. No reboot of the DCEU after or anything like that. But at that point, start a separate, solo Batman franchise again. The one Reeves is hinting at with more of a detective/noir feel, but it's own thing, not part of any bigger universe.

This make no sense because nearly every Batman story is set in a world where aliens exist...
Saxsoon
AG
TCTTS said:

The problem is they don't play off of the paranoid "I have a plan for everything" Batman. The Batman in the current iteration is kind of a dolt. This is the world's greatest detective that puts Superman and Wonderwoman to shame with his intellect. We haven't seen that in ANY live action iteration of Batman. That kind of Batman would put the rest of the JLA to shame and wouldn't be relegated to ****ty fight scenes with the grunts. This is the Batman of my childhood with the animated Justice League
TCTTS
AG
Maybe in the comics but not in any of the cinematic iterations to date.
fig96
AG
TCTTS said:

Maybe in the comics but not in any of the cinematic iterations to date.
The problem (or at least one of the many) is that they missed the chance to do that early on.

The Nolan films were pretty grounded but IMO they
a) went too big too fast and
b) skipped out on the World's Greatest Detective aspect

Batman: Year One, which Batman Begins was loosely based on, deals with a young Bruce Wayne returning to Gotham from who knows where and taking on a corrupt Gotham PD as a young-ish Lt Gordon transfers into Gotham PD. It establishes Gordon as a badass while Batman/Bruce explores who he is while taking back his hometown.

It didn't have to get all supernatural with the League of Shadows, and I wish it hadn't.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG

Quote:

While Ben Affleck is expected to appear as Batman in a standalone Flash movie, it is highly unlikely he will don the cape and cowl in Matt Reeves' planned standalone Batman movie. The director is said to want to cast the role with fresh talent, according to sources.
MooreTrucker
AG
TCTTS said:

Quote:

While Ben Affleck is expected to appear as Batman in a standalone Flash movie, it is highly unlikely he will don the cape and cowl in Matt Reeves' planned standalone Batman movie. The director is said to want to cast the role with fresh talent, according to sources.

Well, that's just dumb. I guess the new Batman movie won't be in the same universe as BvS and JL.
Forum Troll
AG
TCTTS said:

Quote:

Is this all just rumor stuff? I've followed this thread for a while and have seen the rumors about Affleck wanting to stop being Bruce Wayne but the only thing that's happened is he isn't going to direct The Batman but still star in it I thought.
Murder Hornet
AG
I hope WB/DC just concedes the cinematic universe war to Marvel. It's over and it was a decided beatdown. That said DC does have good characters and if they decide to put some effort into making good individual movies with their good characters (trinity or otherwise), there is plenty of material.

Gadot is really good as WW and they should handle Batman like James Bond just let different directors/actors put their spin on the myriad of stories. I don't know what to do with Superman since there is really not a human villain powerful enough to threaten him without kryptonite; maybe keep him in sci-if type movies
TCTTS
AG
Would be all for this, but I'm afraid the initial report it reads a bit too gossipy to be true...

First Page Last Page
Page 69 of 219

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.