*** MARVEL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE *** [Staff message on OP]

3,512,342 Views | 27737 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by Brian Earl Spilner
Phat32
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How does Thor have his hammer?
jackie childs
yukmonkey said:

How does Thor have his hammer?
that's the non-blade side of his new axe
jabberwalkie09
AG
MooreTrucker said:

John Matrix said:

That's a great question. In my opinion, this is definitely peak Marvel. It won't get any better than this. We'll probably have a ton of Captain Marvel level films-good, not necessarily great- and s big event team up that more or less works, but this kind of hype and buildup is a one time thing.

One thing I am legitimately concerned about is burn out. My wife and I have border line religiously watched every single Marvel film in theaters for the past decade because they are so well made, interconnected and thought out. We knew they were building to an Infinity War/Endgame, which made every entry seem essential. One thing about reading comics that, ironically, kept me from becoming s true comic book nerd is that there is no end to these stories. I'm afraid the MCI is going to fall for this trap. A story needs a beginning, middle, and an end, and to just keep on making these into a second decade seems like a recipe for burnout. Don't get me wrong, Black Panther, Ant man, etc. are all great, but they'll never become as iconic as Iron Man,Cap.

TLDR Version: Enjoy the MCU as it is because nothing stays perfect forever in art.
But how do you "end" a story like this? They can't all die/disappear, and the world will always need protecting. I get what you're saying, but how could they pull that off?

ETA other than what Journalist posted as I typed this..... :-/

I think whats being said is that this, Endgame, will be the end of the MCU with the Avengers as we effectively know it. This will be the end of the stories Cap, Tony, and Thor more than likely which could setup the passing of the torch to the next group of Avengers. I think we all at least suspected with the introduction of newer characters in the recent movies, that this is where they were heading. Those that don't die in Endgame, can pretty much retire from the team which opens up their return for later installments.

Eta: Thing is that I don't know if they have created the emotional link/investment that we have had with the current lineup.
mazag08
AG
I hope we at least get one more Thor movie. Ragnarok finally found Thor's footing, and we need one more to piggy back off that style of movie before Thor goes away.

Maybe he survives this movie, has another movie or two, and dies in the next team up.
jackie childs
it would be a terrible shame if we don't get any more thor movies with hemsworth. they're just now finding their stride with him.
CoachRTM
AG
I think the only way they could top it is if they ever had a "last" movie.... meaning end of the Marvel movies as we know them type movie. Probably 10-20 years from now, with mostly new characters but with cameos from all the older characters that we're watching now against one giant end of the universe type threat.

Alternatively, could you imagine the hype level if Endgame was known as the last Marvel film? You wouldn't know that everything was going to be (relatively) good at the end due to the follow up movies already announced.
jabberwalkie09
AG
jackie childs said:

it would be a terrible shame if we don't get any more thor movies with hemsworth. they're just now finding their stride with him.

I think it's likely that Thor retires. Asgard was destroyed, his people are scattered or dead, and he's pretty much the last living heir since Loki died in IW. I don't know the comics, but I'd assume there's some storylines they could adapt.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

Probably 10-20 years from now, with mostly new characters but with cameos from all the older characters that we're watching now against one giant end of the universe type threat.
In this movie wizened old man Cap would toss his shield cavalierly over his shoulder, and Iron Man would have his son kill him, and Black Widow would show off some previously unknown magical abilities ... and fans of these original characters would gripe about how these characters are portrayed in the theoretical 10-20 years from now movie.
veryfuller
Staff
AG
I watched Ragnarok recently, and I feel pretty certain that if Thor does survive, he will retire with Asgardians on earth in the place Odin was in the movie. Odin says "this could be home" or something to that effect. So he will probably be doing that, trying to lead his people into prosperity and growth on earth or something. So although I have enjoyed Thor in these recent movies, his storyline is going to be pretty much wrapped up. Rather be left wanting than disappointed in the follow up.

If Marvel is smart, they will do some low stakes character films (like Spider-Man) and build up the characters that they want to focus on next before doing another big team up movie. Think if they take a 5 year break before a team up how exciting that would be?
jackie childs
jabberwalkie09 said:

jackie childs said:

I think it's likely that Thor retires. Asgard was destroyed, his people are scattered or dead, and he's pretty much the last living heir since Loki died in IW. I don't know the comics, but I'd assume there's some storylines they could adapt.
actually, now that i think about it, we already know Thor's and Valkyrie's next gig:

jabberwalkie09
AG
veryfuller said:

I watched Ragnarok recently, and I feel pretty certain that if Thor does survive, he will retire with Asgardians on earth in the place Odin was in the movie. Odin says "this could be home" or something to that effect. So he will probably be doing that, trying to lead his people into prosperity and growth on earth or something. So although I have enjoyed Thor in these recent movies, his storyline is going to be pretty much wrapped up. Rather be left wanting than disappointed in the follow up.

This is pretty much where I was coming from. I don't expect any standalone films for him.
Quote:

If Marvel is smart, they will do some low stakes character films (like Spider-Man) and build up the characters that they want to focus on next before doing another big team up movie. Think if they take a 5 year break before a team up how exciting that would be?

Agreed. Look at how long it took for us to come from the beginning of the MCU with Hulk and Iron Man. Thanos was the man behind the scenes for a long time.
FTAG 2000
AG
rhutton125 said:

I'll agree that this is peak MCU, but I can also imagine a day, far from now, where Spider-Man, the X-Men, the Fantastic Four and the Avengers team up to stop a great iteration of Doctor Doom... maybe bring Tony out of retirement...

It's hard to imagine those things timing out before any burnout sets in, but who knows? I thought balancing 6 characters in Avengers would be too much, and here we are now. Crazy.

When I heard about the Supreme Intelligence in Captain Marvel, kind of figured that would be the new bad guy.

It's present in Fantastic Four in the comics, and they have FF coming on board now. Good way to join up those two universes against an ultimate cosmic bad guy.
wangus12
AG
If there is one more Marvel film that I want, its definitely another Thor movie.
jackie childs
part of the issue going forward is that the newer characters introduced (dr. strange, black panther, spidey and captain marvel) won't likely have a lot of reason to engage with one another, so that by itself might steer the MCU away from a team-up anytime soon.

Gangnam Style
AG
jackie childs said:

part of the issue going forward is that the newer characters introduced (dr. strange, black panther, spidey and captain marvel) won't likely have a lot of reason to engage with one another, so that by itself might steer the MCU away from a team-up anytime soon.

Unless they go ahead with Secret Invasion, which would be sweet.
DVC2010
AG
jackie childs said:

TCTTS said:

Fantastic trailer. As others have said, it's the perfect tease while simultaneously building hype to unprecedented levels.

Speaking of... is this, RIGHT NOW (over the next six weeks or so) the peak of the MCU? In other words, will the MCU ever achieve THIS level of hype/interest ever again? As excited as I am for this movie, and knowing the MCU will obviously continue for years to come, I can't help but think that after Endgame, we'll never reach this level again. I just can't imagine a combination of characters that will top this original bunch in terms of fans' love/sentiment/attachment to them, or a scenario this attuned to the pop culture zeitgeist (the snap, attempting to undo the snap) ever again. Not because I don't think there will be great characters or awesome stories going forward, but because this feels like the end of the original/"classic" MCU, and basically nothing is ever as good as the original, if only because it's the original. Granted, the X-Men being integrated could of course eventually give this a run for its money - and might eventually boast a combined cast of characters and story as beloved as this one - but I just don't know that it'll ever be quite on the same level as this.
i think it's possible that this is the peak, but then again, i'd have probably said the same after the first avengers movie...then again after civil war...and then infinity war.

fact is, far more often than not, marvel has continued to surprise me and exceed my expectations at damn near every turn.

Did anyone actually think they peaked with Infinity War? I left asking, "how long before the next one?"
MooreTrucker
AG
Well, yeah, since it was obviously leading to another one, the hope of which is that it will match or exceed IW. But ya never know (see the bad Star Wars movie for an example)
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I see the MCU as the Warriors, and Infinity/Endgame as the 2016 season, when they won 73 games. (The one year they didn't win the ship, but that's besides the point.)

Enjoy it because it's doubtful you'll ever see a run like this again. Two insanely massive movies, back-to-back. The climax of the MCU. I just don't see how they possibly top this in the future.
MooreTrucker
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I see the MCU as the Warriors, and Infinity/Endgame as the 2016 season, when they won 73 games. (The one year they didn't win the ship, but that's besides the point.)

Enjoy it because it's doubtful you'll ever see a run like this again. Two insanely massive movies, back-to-back. The climax of the MCU. I just don't see how they possibly top this in the future.
Or the 2007 Patriots?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Maybe the Spurs would be a better comparison, come to think of it. (22 years straight without missing the playoffs. A good number of championships, ie. billion dollar movies. Very few down years, ie. bombs. Kevin Feige is the Gregg Popovich of Hollywood.)
DVC2010
AG
MooreTrucker said:

Well, yeah, since it was obviously leading to another one, the hope of which is that it will match or exceed IW. But ya never know (see the bad Star Wars movie for an example)

If Endgame is bad, I'm going to go home and cry, and I probably won't watch another movie in 2019.
DVC2010
AG
I don't speak basketball. Anyone want to translate to baseball for me?
MooreTrucker
AG
I don't do baseball very well, but I did translate to football.
jackie childs
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Maybe the Spurs would be a better comparison, come to think of it. (22 years straight without missing the playoffs. A good number of championships, ie. billion dollar movies. Very few down years, ie. bombs. Kevin Feige is the Gregg Popovich of Hollywood.)
well, like the spurs' big 3, cap and bucky are both about 100 and thor is 1,500 years old, so i guess the analogy works
jackie childs
DVC2010 said:

MooreTrucker said:

If Endgame is bad, I'm going to go home and cry, and I probably won't watch another movie in 2019.
i'd put the odds at Endgame being anything close to "bad" at slim to none.

i just think infinity war was so incredible that it wouldn't be surprising if it's ultimately regarded as the better film of the two.
DVC2010
AG
jackie childs said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

well, like the spurs' big 3, cap and bucky are both about 100 and thor is 1,500 years old, so i guess the analogy works

Olsen
AG
The poster was updated and added Danai Gurira's name on the poster after the backlash from fans.

Farmer1906
AG
1. Why wasn't her name on it?
2. Who really gives a damn?
TCTTS
AG
Do fans really think that it's at the discretion of the poster designer or even Marvel whose name makes it where? This kind of stuff is ENDLESSLY negotiated by agents. The EXACT order, font size, who gets the "and," etc. is a monumental task in and of itself to sort out between all the various agents and egos. Gurira being left off had nothing to do with Marvel "forgetting" or just not wanting to.
Post removed:
by user
MooreTrucker
AG
Farmer1906 said:

1. Why wasn't her name on it?
2. Who really gives a damn?
1. See above
2. Well, because she's black and all, ya know. And she's actually ON the poster.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Just watched it.

Chills.
Liquid Wrench
I'm just glad Bradley Cooper is listed, since Rocket is his best role and best acting job ever.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Bob Iger this summer
jackie childs
TCTTS said:

Do fans really think that it's at the discretion of the poster designer or even Marvel whose name makes it where? This kind of stuff is ENDLESSLY negotiated by agents. The EXACT order, font size, who gets the "and," etc. is a monumental task in and of itself to sort out between all the various agents and egos. Gurira being left off had nothing to do with Marvel "forgetting" or just not wanting to.
that's why tony is staring so intently at them
First Page Last Page
Page 355 of 793

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.