*** MARVEL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE *** [Staff message on OP]

3,512,549 Views | 27737 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by Brian Earl Spilner
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Was talking about our Marvel ranking with a friend, here's my newest ranking.

Top Tier
1. Winter Soldier
2. Guardians of the Galaxy
3. Iron Man
4. Avengers: Infinity War
5. Avengers
6. Thor Ragnarok

Mid Tier
7. Guardians 2
8. Dr Strange
9. Civil War
10. Black Panther
11. Spider-Man: Homecoming
12. Captain Marvel

Meh
Ant-Man 1, 2
Thor
Avengers 2
Cap

Crap
Iron Man 2, 3
Thor 2
Incredible Hulk
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Ambres
AG
Top Top Tier (Goose)
1. Guardians of the Galaxy

Top Tier
2.. Winter Soldier
3. Thor Ragnarok
4. Iron Man
5. Avengers: Infinity War
6. Avengers

Mid Tier
7. Civil War
8. Ant-Man
9. Guardians 2
10. Black Panther
11. Spider-Man: Homecoming
12. Capt America

Enjoyable but .. great in the 90's
Ant-Man and the Wasp
Thor
Avengers 2
Captain Marvel
Dr Strange

DC / Zack Snyder Tier (via AgfromHOU)
Iron Man 2, 3
Thor 2
Incredible Hulk
mazag08
AG
I still don't understand the obsession with Winter Soldier. It was a good movie, but not as spectacular as made out to be. Captain America is just bland in this unviserse. His emotional struggles are interesting, but his overall character leaves a lot to be desired. He couldn't carry this franchise the same way Iron Man has.

And the only reason nobody ranks Dr Strange higher is because you've gotten fatigued with the story model. Had it been the first Marvel movie y'all would be ranking it top 3.
YouBet
AG
mazag08 said:

I still don't understand the obsession with Winter Soldier. It was a good movie, but not as spectacular as made out to be. Captain America is just bland in this unviserse. His emotional struggles are interesting, but his overall character leaves a lot to be desired. He couldn't carry this franchise the same way Iron Man has.

And the only reason nobody ranks Dr Strange higher is because you've gotten fatigued with the story model. Had it been the first Marvel movie y'all would be ranking it top 3.
Probably because those of us who grew up in the Cold War highly identify with it. Plus, the movie wasn't just about CA. It was about Bucky and CA and you overlooking one of the more intriguing character's in Winter Solder as he struggled reconciling between his true self and his brain washing. And the action was kick ass.
TexasAggie_02
AG
YouBet said:

mazag08 said:

Probably because those of us who grew up in the Cold War highly identify with it. Plus, the movie wasn't just about CA. It was about Bucky and CA and you overlooking one of the more intriguing character's in Winter Solder as he struggled reconciling between his true self and his brain washing. And the action was kick ass.

It also came out right as the whole NSA spying/snowden stuff was in the news
Saxsoon
AG
YouBet said:

mazag08 said:

I think it was because it was the first Marvel film that truly deviated from the formula and was a cold war film first, superhero film second. Like how antman became a heist film. And really where Marvel at least tried to deviate from standard superhero stories.
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
AgfromHOU
AG
You misspelled "Zack Snyder Tier"
FL_Ag1998
AG
mazag08 said:

Nope. Not even close to being accurate.
double aught
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

mazag08 said:

Nope. Not even close to being accurate.
Even if it is accurate, it seems to be a legit reason for a ranking.
redline248
AG
The climax for Dr Strange wasn't all that strong.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Winter Soldier has everything going for it.

Great action scenes. Awesome fights. Solid villain. But more importantly, stakes. Both emotional and in the overall MCU.

The last fight between Cap and Bucky is not only great, but emotional. You actually care about the outcome, and about their friendship.

And obviously, it's a game changer when it comes to the MCU, with the downfall of SHIELD.

And all this done in a badass, espionage thriller, which was a fresh and unique take that sets it apart from the rest of the series. Same reason Guardians is right behind it on my ranking.
rhutton125
AG
Best action sequences in the MCU, followed by Civil War. 1A and 1B really.
Engine10
AG
Having just come out of CM - there's a gap in the story that I can't find the answer to.

How does Wendy Lawson get the tesseract from Shield?
miller0926
AG
Engine10 said:

Having just come out of CM - there's a gap in the story that I can't find the answer to.

How does Wendy Lawson get the tesseract from Shield?
After seeing it yesterday, this bothered me as well. I watched like 3 youtube spoiler reviews too, and one of them spent like a minute ranting about this exact thing.
dave94
AG
She was working for Project Pegasus which is part of the government's R&D program, so she just had access to it I suppose.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
It sure looked like Pegasus had developed SHIELD's quinjet so it's likely they were working with them for the tech SHIELD would use. Not unheard of that maybe they let Pegasus use the Tesseract to try and develop new weapons or energy sources.

To me, that makes sense. Pegasus was a private contractor for SHIELD.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
[This movie was just released, do no post spoilers without using the tags. -Staff]
Engine10
AG
Agreed it's definitely feasible for her to get it - interesting they just kinda jumped right over it. Not critical to the story but a gap all the same
MooreTrucker
AG
So much for spoiler protection.....
dave94
dave94
AG
I forgot what I said before, I screwed up the spoiler tags.

But, the mid-credit scene, as soon as Cap came onscreen and that whole sequence played out, I was so
brought back to the high stakes from Infinity War. And the entire audience was right back there as well. Huge applause when she appeared; I know I didn't expect them to just outright have her there in whatever teaser they had. I'm so ready for what's next.

AgfromHOU
AG
Much better. The Snyder movies are bad, the not Snyder movies are actually pretty good.
aggiepublius
AG
Thanks staff for the spoiler fix.

Haven't seen CM yet but was reminded of something watching the GoG. The Kree, while shamed by Ronan's actions, still upheld him as a hero for his previous record. They weren't very happy and declared GoG as enemies of the Kree. Kinda wondering how they will play CM and GoG in Endgame?
Malachi Constant
AG
On to a more important question: When is the next Endgame trailer? It is in theaters in 47 days.
TCTTS
AG
Sounds like the last week of March or early April. Around then. With a movie this big and this secret I wouldn't expect traditional trailer timeframes.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
C@LAg said:

honestly. I do not want a trailer.

I would be happy with 2.5 minutes of clips from prior movies leading up to this, and then just end with the words... Endgame.

No need for a single damn clip at this point, and likely most people would agree.

This is one of those rare exceptions where all the prior movies serve as a trailer, and customer awareness is pretty much 100% of the theater going population.

This works perfectly for this movie.
FL_Ag1998
AG
C@LAg said:

honestly. I do not want a trailer.

I would be happy with 2.5 minutes of clips from prior movies leading up to this, and then just end with the words... Endgame.

No need for a single damn clip at this point, and likely most people would agree.

This is one of those rare exceptions where all the prior movies serve as a trailer, and customer awareness is pretty much 100% of the theater going population.

Got to agree completely with this. Does anybody seriously need the trailer to convince them to get off the fence and go see this movie? And anybody who is going to see it - do you really need to see more scenes spoiled for you?
Kate Beckett
AG
I am content with what we have. I already was planning on seeing it and I don't need a trailer with more spoilers telling me to see it. lol
Liquid Wrench
We need a trailer just so middle-aged autistic men can "break down" the trailer on youtubes and twitter.
double aught
AG
And get more articles about fan theories.
jtstanley4621
AG
So overall, I liked Captain Marvel but it wouldn't be in my top Marvel movies. Which is fine. I could see this being sort of a Captain America situation. I didn't LOVE the first movie, but it set a groundwork for the series and the sequels were great. I thought Larson was pretty great in her role. I'm excited to see where the series goes.

No spoilers, but the de-aging technology that they have now is insane. You maybe notice it the first few minutes, but after that it just sorta blends in.
jackie childs
i agree that endgame probably doesn't need another trailer. although at this point, it probably has less to do with convincing people who wouldn't otherwise see it to do so and more about trying to get people who will eventually see it to see it opening weekend.

that said, i think marvel has done a pretty good job of trying not to spoil too much with their trailers, so i'm not too worried about that.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
IMO, I don't think they can top IW's opening weekend.

It just feels like the hype was bigger for IW at this point in the year, than it is for Endgame. (Or is it just me?)

But aside from that, I think GoT on Sunday might take a few million off it's Sunday take that it would've otherwise had. (Battle of Winterfell episode.)
First Page Last Page
Page 348 of 793

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.