*** MARVEL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE *** [Staff message on OP]

3,512,190 Views | 27737 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by Brian Earl Spilner
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AliasMan02 said:

A Black Panther win would be huge for Marvel, and further legitimizing the genre, so I hope it wins. Simple as that.

Dude. What about Marvel films and this genre need to be legitimized? Comic book movies are practically the lifeblood of Hollywood and have been for years.

If anything, people want them to dial it back some.
Phat32
AG
Absolutely. Half of the people they are showing were made famous by Marvel movies.
AliasMan02
AG
YouBet said:

AliasMan02 said:

A Black Panther win would be huge for Marvel, and further legitimizing the genre, so I hope it wins. Simple as that.

Dude. What about Marvel films and this genre need to be legitimized? Comic book movies are practically the lifeblood of Hollywood and have been for years.

Many many many people view Marvel's achievement through a lens that lessens the perception of what they have accomplished. A best picture win (that I don't expect) would open some things up.

And, as someone who is eager for some more superhero movies that take chances in tone and story, I think big Oscar wins helps to hook the best creatives out there. If we're being honest, Marvel does have something of a formula. That formula makes lots of money, but it doesn't always turn out films that stand at the highest levels OUTSIDE the genre.
fig96
AG
But they're still viewed as movies for kids by a whole lot of people.
AliasMan02
AG
fig96 said:

But they're still viewed as movies for kids by a whole lot of people.

I should have just said this.
PatAg
AG
Anyone that has that viewpoint is an idiot. Why would you care what they think
PatAg
AG
Bobcat06 said:

I've watched Dark Knight 20 times. Every time, I find a new level of symbolism that I'd never noticed before. I truly believe it was the best film of the 2000s.

The fact that it was not nominated for Best Picture but Black Panther (an average Marvel film) was nominated for the sake of "cultural significance" is reprehensible.

If anything, nominate Infinity War as a culmination of the impact that the Marvel Cinematic Universe has had on Hollywood's business model for creating cinematic universes. That's far more "culturally significant" than a black superhero.
Ideally, a movie like Dark Knight will no longer be overlooked because of this.
AliasMan02
AG
PatAg said:

Anyone that has that viewpoint is an idiot. Why would you care what they think

Because public perception drives decisions by many big-time creatives. Knowing you can play Moon Knight or direct the first MCU X-Men movie and have a shot to win an Oscar definitely doesn't hurt.
nickstro66
AG
Side note/bold prediction

If done properly, Moon Knight could totally earn the right actor an Oscar nomination
GiveEmHellBill
AG
YouBet said:

AliasMan02 said:

Most of the people in that auditorium have either been in a Marvel movie.....or are wondering why they haven't been asked to be in one yet.
YouBet
AG
AliasMan02 said:

YouBet said:

AliasMan02 said:

Many many many people view Marvel's achievement through a lens that lessens the perception of what they have accomplished. A best picture win (that I don't expect) would open some things up.

And, as someone who is eager for some more superhero movies that take chances in tone and story, I think big Oscar wins helps to hook the best creatives out there. If we're being honest, Marvel does have something of a formula. That formula makes lots of money, but it doesn't always turn out films that stand at the highest levels OUTSIDE the genre.

Ironically, BP is a perfect example of this. If we are putting this movie on a pedestal as the best example of this very genre you've effectively sacrificed your integrity.

I do get that someone has to establish the beachhead if you want future consideration, but damn I just wish it was would have been any number of other comic based movie that was actually BP material. Their world building Oscars are well deserved though.

Also, I can't help but think BP is going to get a dual token award here to satisfy both the SJWs and the nerds. This award will represent the lone nod to the comic genre and then the academy will feel like they've placated the genre for years to come.

Hopefully, I'm proven wrong and best picture caliber films will continue to be made in this genre regardless of the color of the characters or political backdrop of these films.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
bearamedic99
AG
I hope once Arrow is done (only one more season), Marvel will scoop up Stephen Amell for a character like Taskmaster, Moon knight, or such.
MooreTrucker
AG
fig96 said:

Because IMO it's a film that had a really big impact on the entire industry, not to mention culturally, and I thought it did some other really incredible things. There were some amazing visuals and incredible concept development of what an isolated technological world could look like, not to mention addressing some relevant social themes. I don't think it deserves to win, but I don't mind the nomination as it had a lot of aspects that I really loved.

You disagree and I can totally understand that perspective as well.

EDIT: And yeah, sorry, we've already been through this
I agree with the amazing visuals, etc., but relevant social themes, not so much. So win the awards for those concept and visual things, but not Best Picture just because it had a mostly black cast.
jtstanley4621
AG
C@LAg said:

IMDB listing for Captain Marvel has a HUGE casting spoiler in it. Avoid!
Well now I'm curious. Just looked at IMDB. Maybe I don't know enough about the captain marvel universe to recognize a spoiler from seeing the cast.
investorAg83
AG
jtstanley4621 said:

C@LAg said:

Well now I'm curious. Just looked at IMDB. Maybe I don't know enough about the captain marvel universe to recognize a spoiler from seeing the cast.

I thought the same.
Bruce Almighty
AG
jtstanley4621 said:

C@LAg said:

Agree. I looked and didn't see anything.
DVC2010
AG
Why would you even look? I probably won't visit IMDB for any reason until after I see Captain Marvel just in case I accidentally click the wrong link!
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

jtstanley4621 said:

C@LAg said:

Could it have been scrubbed?
Bruce Almighty
AG
DVC2010 said:

Why would you even look? I probably won't visit IMDB for any reason until after I see Captain Marvel just in case I accidentally click the wrong link!

Some movies I care about spoilers and some I don't. End Game, I don't want to know anything. For Captain Marvel, minor details like casting doesn't bother me.
nickstro66
AG
I think the spoiler refers to who Jude Law is playing
Whos Juan
AG
I'm honestly surprised (and disappointed) Ryan Reynolds hasn't started inserting himself in the cast listings on IMDb.
FightinTexasAg15
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

jtstanley4621 said:

C@LAg said:

I'm confused. I didn't see anything either
toucan82
Was it Samuel L. Jackson? That's pretty well known
ashleyschaeffer
Is it Dr. Watson? Cause I'm ready to see the 3rd installment of that franchise.
nickstro66
AG
Yes. The Thanos snap merged the universes. Epic crossover coming soon.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Dro07
AG
put a spoiler tag on it bruh i wanna know
DVC2010
AG
dromo07 said:

put a spoiler tag on it bruh i wanna know

But make sure you're using the tag correctly, because I don't!
Dro07
AG
#truth

if you cant do it right then don't do it.
Malachi Constant
AG
Good Lord stop talking about the spoiler
Dro07
AG
Blatant Disregard said:

Good Lord stop talking about the spoiler
rhutton125
AG
See yall in 2 weeks. Avoiding spoiler like the plague!
TCTTS
AG
Hulla Baller
AG
TCTTS said:

Past, present, AND future?
First Page Last Page
Page 344 of 793

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.