*** MARVEL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE *** [Staff message on OP]

3,512,162 Views | 27737 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by Brian Earl Spilner
Fenrir
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm curious, do you have a link? I'm wondering if they're combining traditional western comic books with Japanese manga...the latter traditionally has a much higher female readership than western superhero comics.
dcaggie04
AG
Fenrir said:

I'm curious, do you have a link? I'm wondering if they're combining traditional western comic books with Japanese manga...the latter traditionally has a much higher female readership than western superhero comics.

Here's a decent article with some breakdown.

https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/38709/nycc-insider-sessions-powered-icv2-a-demographic-snapshot-comics-buyers
AliasMan02
AG
The stat that jumps out at me is that the black comic-buyer population tracks pretty closely with the overall national percentage of the population. And statistically speaking you're more likely to bump into an African-American in a comic shop than on the street. I wonder what that number was a decade ago? The SJW inclusion/pandering/etc that so many people complain about is obviously working to get comic books into different markets.
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

And statistically speaking you're more likely to bump into an African-American in a comic shop than on the street.
We live in very different neighborhoods.
Urban Ag
AG
dcaggie04 said:

Fenrir said:

Here's a decent article with some breakdown.

https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/38709/nycc-insider-sessions-powered-icv2-a-demographic-snapshot-comics-buyers

Quote:

The male superhero audience is evenly balanced between the 13-29 and 30-54 age groups;

I find this statistic both hilarious and somewhat terrifying all at the same time
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
redline248
AG
Do end credits technically count as part of the movie?
TexasAggie_02
AG
Technically, Avengers 1 ended with shwarma
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Farmer1906
AG
It's also a larger range.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Urban Ag
AG
C@LAg said:

Farmer1906 said:

it was also the hey day of comic collecting.
is that it? I really enjoyed comic collecting from about the age of 10 to 15. Then beer, football, and girls took over and I never set foot in a comic shop again until I cleaned out all my SW toys and comics from my parents house in 97 after graduating from A&M, and sold them to raise money for life on my lonesome.

Not knocking it, I just lost interest. In hindsight I wish I would have held on to that stuff another 10-15 years or so and made a killing.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Urban Ag
AG
thanks, appreciate the info.

lol. In 1997 I was pawning sh** to pay the credit card and bills and find the scratch to take my future wife out.

But I did do well in the late 90's tech stock boom. Ole'

Farmer1906
AG
Urban Ag said:

C@LAg said:

Farmer1906 said:

it was also the hey day of comic collecting.
is that it? I really enjoyed comic collecting from about the age of 10 to 15. Then beer, football, and girls took over and I never set foot in a comic shop again until I cleaned out all my SW toys and comics from my parents house in 97 after graduating from A&M, and sold them to raise money for life on my lonesome.

Not knocking it, I just lost interest. In hindsight I wish I would have held on to that stuff another 10-15 years or so and made a killing.

It's must more accepted as normal to be a nerd now than it was in 97.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

It's must more accepted as normal to be a nerd now than it was in 97.
Should have tried it in 1978. Life was a veritable hell for me as a 6th grade nerd who loved all things Star Wars (and Battlestar Galactica ...)
redline248
AG

Disclaimer: I am not watching the Oscars and I haven't gotten caught up on my timeline yet to know what's happening
AgMarauder04
AG
They won the costume one.
Phat32
AG
Am I the only one who thinks Infinity War was infinitely better than Black Panther? The amount of buzz at the Oscars for BP is unreal.
AgMarauder04
AG
yukmonkey said:

Am I the only one who thinks Infinity War was infinitely better than Black Panther? The amount of buzz at the Oscars for BP is unreal.

Not in the slightest. BP was good, but I won't put it in my Marvel Top 5. It's not Best Picture worthy imo.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Almost everyone thought Infinity War was better than Black Panther.
fig96
AG
AgMarauder04 said:

yukmonkey said:

Not in the slightest. BP was good, but I won't put it in my Marvel Top 5. It's not Best Picture worthy imo.
It's actually right around my top 5 Marvel, but agreed it's not Best Picture quality. It's there based on cultural significance and I'm ok with that.

Though Spider-Verse should have been a Best Picture nominee.
AgMarauder04
AG
fig96 said:

AgMarauder04 said:

yukmonkey said:

It's actually right around my top 5 Marvel, but agreed it's not Best Picture quality. It's there based on cultural significance and I'm ok with that.

It's probably 6-7 for me.
fig96
AG
Though I'm thrilled to see Black Panther win for Production Design because the world design in that film was absolutely incredible.
AgMarauder04
AG
fig96 said:

Though I'm thrilled to see Black Panther win for Production Design because the world design in that film was absolutely incredible.

100%
MooreTrucker
AG
fig96 said:

AgMarauder04 said:

yukmonkey said:

Why is that OK? If it's not Best Picture quality, it shouldn't be nominated. "Cultural significance" shouldn't enter into it.
redline248
AG
Black Panther is right in the middle of the pack, but I love the character.
rhutton125
AG
Ready for this conversation to quit popping up.
fig96
AG
MooreTrucker said:

fig96 said:

AgMarauder04 said:

yukmonkey said:

Why is that OK? If it's not Best Picture quality, it shouldn't be nominated. "Cultural significance" shouldn't enter into it.
Because IMO it's a film that had a really big impact on the entire industry, not to mention culturally, and I thought it did some other really incredible things. There were some amazing visuals and incredible concept development of what an isolated technological world could look like, not to mention addressing some relevant social themes. I don't think it deserves to win, but I don't mind the nomination as it had a lot of aspects that I really loved.

You disagree and I can totally understand that perspective as well.

EDIT: And yeah, sorry, we've already been through this
redline248
AG
Just go to any star wars thread
Bobcat06
AG
I've watched Dark Knight 20 times. Every time, I find a new level of symbolism that I'd never noticed before. I truly believe it was the best film of the 2000s.

The fact that it was not nominated for Best Picture but Black Panther (an average Marvel film) was nominated for the sake of "cultural significance" is reprehensible.

If anything, nominate Infinity War as a culmination of the impact that the Marvel Cinematic Universe has had on Hollywood's business model for creating cinematic universes. That's far more "culturally significant" than a black superhero.
tysker
AG
So we can all finally agree that Blade > Black Panther.
Phat32
AG
Bobcat06 said:

I've watched Dark Knight 20 times. Every time, I find a new level of symbolism that I'd never noticed before. I truly believe it was the best film of the 2000s.

The fact that it was not nominated for Best Picture but Black Panther (an average Marvel film) was nominated for the sake of "cultural significance" is reprehensible.

If anything, nominate Infinity War as a culmination of the impact that the Marvel Cinematic Universe has had on Hollywood's business model for creating cinematic universes. That's far more "culturally significant" than a black superhero.

100%
AliasMan02
AG
A Black Panther win would be huge for Marvel, and further legitimizing the genre, so I hope it wins. Simple as that.
First Page Last Page
Page 343 of 793

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.