*** MARVEL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE *** [Staff message on OP]

3,483,039 Views | 27648 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by Saxsoon
PatAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
As long as the first qualification is "are you good at your job", then diversify this up
Flashdiaz
AG
i'm glad I don't give 2 ****s who someone does or does not interview with.

I normally wouldn't catch Cap Marvel in theater's mostly because I don't go to movies as much as I want, but I may for this since Infinity War will be out (which I will definitely see in Theaters) before Cap Marvel gets home distribution.
Bruce Almighty
AG
If it wasn't for End Game, this would be a "wait till it's streaming" movie. I feel like I have to see it though and I'm sure there will be plenty of people who feel just like me.
Kate Beckett
AG
Am I the only one who is actually really excited to see this movie?
John Matrix
AG
I am. I love it when Marvel gets cosmic, and this is just dripping with that kind stuff.
TexasAggie_02
AG
Kate Beckett said:

I'm excited for it. Just wish they didn't have to beat us over the head with SJW bullcrap at every turn. Just make an effing awesome movie and let it speak for itself.
Kate Beckett
AG
I just don't pay much attention to it anymore. I stick to trailers and that's it.
Fenrir
Bruce Almighty said:

If it wasn't for End Game, this would be a "wait till it's streaming" movie. I feel like I have to see it though and I'm sure there will be plenty of people who feel just like me.
I am a little curious how much impact it will have on End Game...setting it back in time seems to limit its potential outside of introducing Captain Marvel and whatever post credit scenes they add but maybe they'll figure out a way to tie End Game back to it a little more substantially.
rhutton125
AG
I'm expecting it to be about as relevant as the film Ant-Man was to Civil War, or the film Doctor Strange was to Infinity War. That is to say, not very tied-in.

My guess is that 99% of the film is dedicated to introducing the character, and then the post-credits has a quick hint as to how/when you'll see her next. You could probably see Endgame and have someone fill you in on what she's about - like you could Ant-Man before Civil War, or Doctor Strange before Infinity War.
MooreTrucker
AG
rhutton125 said:

I'm expecting it to be about as relevant as the film Ant-Man was to Civil War, or the film Doctor Strange was to Infinity War. That is to say, not very tied-in.

My guess is that 99% of the film is dedicated to introducing the character, and then the post-credits has a quick hint as to how/when you'll see her next. You could probably see Endgame and have someone fill you in on what she's about - like you could Ant-Man before Civil War, or Doctor Strange before Infinity War.
I disagree on Dr. Strange. I think you have to see that character's movie to understand some of the things that happened or are suspected to be happening in Endgame. Stuff like the Time Stone and how it works, for example.
investorAg83
AG
TexasAggie_02 said:

Kate Beckett said:

I'm excited for it. Just wish they didn't have to beat us over the head with SJW bullcrap at every turn. Just make an effing awesome movie and let it speak for itself.

If not for this thread I would have no idea about any of the news regarding Brie's interviews. I don't feel beat over the head at all with regards to this movie.

And count me as one that is excited about it and I think Brie is going to knock it out of the park.
TajMaballer
AG
Social media embargo lifts tomorrow, so we will start to have answers on how connected to Endgame it will be. I'm thinking it will have bigger implications for post Endgame MCU.
Urban Ag
AG
Dr Strange looked lame to me so I opted not to attend when my sons saw it with my FIL. It took me several attempts to finish it on Netflix.

The good thing about MCU is that I can just ask the kids to explain it to me. I really enjoy but not enough to invest the time (nor do I care) to know all the details.
redline248
AG
Kate Beckett said:

My excitement is less for this than it was for Black Panther, but about the same as Dr Strange. I hope it's better than both of those.
MBAR
AG
Kate Beckett said:

Nope, I'm excited.
MooreTrucker
AG
Urban Ag said:

Dr Strange looked lame to me so I opted not to attend when my sons saw it with my FIL. It took me several attempts to finish it on Netflix.

The good thing about MCU is that I can just ask the kids to explain it to me. I really enjoy but not enough to invest the time (nor do I care) to know all the details.
Kinda like "technology"....
MBAR
AG
How many of you who are upset about the interview news are white males?
Urban Ag
AG
maybe
Urban Ag
AG
MBAR said:

I'm a conservative white male and I am not upset about it.

What I am these days though is somewhat intrigued and definitely amused by it all. As a parent I have been around a lot of young girls for the past 13+ years. I'm not really seeing the needle move though. I could be wrong. We were just on a short trip with another couple and their three daughters (12, 9, 7). It's all girl stuff. And the dad is a huge SW/Marvel geek and takes the girls to these movies and they just aren't really getting into it. In the last five years my wife has taught both elementary and middle school, and again, I am just not seeing the needle move with girls. So step beyond young girls. Teenage girls? College age? Grown women? I mean who is the target being chased and it is having much of an effect? And if so, is the gain in girls/women offsetting the loss of boys/males? My sons (13 and 10) have zero interest in Captain Marvel. Zip.

Super heroes have always been an entertainment genre mostly consumed by boys and to a lesser extent grown men. I certainly don't see any problem at all in trying to widen the audience. I'm just wondering how well it will work.
MooreTrucker
AG
MBAR said:

I'm not upset about it, just tired that it's so ubiquitous.
MBAR
AG
Urban Ag said:

MBAR said:

I'm a conservative white male and I am not upset about it.

What I am these days though is somewhat intrigued and definitely amused by it all. As a parent I have been around a lot of young girls for the past 13+ years. I'm not really seeing the needle move though. I could be wrong. We were just on a short trip with another couple and their three daughters (12, 9, 7). It's all girl stuff. And the dad is a huge SW/Marvel geek and takes the girls to these movies and they just aren't really getting into it. In the last five years my wife has taught both elementary and middle school, and again, I am just not seeing the needle move with girls. So step beyond young girls. Teenage girls? College age? Grown women? I mean who is the target being chased and it is having much of an effect? And if so, is the gain in girls/women offsetting the loss of boys/males? My sons (13 and 10) have zero interest in Captain Marvel. Zip.

Super heroes have always been an entertainment genre mostly consumed by boys and to a lesser extent grown men. I certainly don't see any problem at all in trying to widen the audience. I'm just wondering how well it will work.

I'm not a father but I mentor a young man who's 15 and he also has almost no interest in the movie either. He also wasn't interested in Wonder Woman but he enjoyed it when we watched it (we watch almost all comic book movies that come out). So I'd imagine that's pretty par for the course with this one but maybe not? I don't know.
MBAR
AG
MooreTrucker said:

MBAR said:

Why though? This makes no sense to me at all. Where is the harm here?
MooreTrucker
AG
MBAR said:

MooreTrucker said:

MBAR said:

No harm in the instance, just as a part of a whole. As in why does there have to be stuff like this in EVERY damn thing all the freaking time. Can't we just hear about the movie, FFS, not "diversity of reporters"?
MBAR
AG
MooreTrucker said:

MBAR said:

MooreTrucker said:

MBAR said:

No harm in the instance, just as a part of a whole. As in why does there have to be stuff like this in EVERY damn thing all the freaking time. Can't we just hear about the movie, FFS, not "diversity of reporters"?
Because its an important issue to those of us who aren't white males. You're frustrated that you have to hear about this stuff but you can't imagine how people feel when their whole lives they've had no choice but to see the white male perspective on everything?

Its incredible to me when people get so frustrated over having to hear about these issues when you don't have to live the other side. Our society in America is dominated by the white male perspective. That's not some crazy SJW propaganda that's simply the reality. The film industry is DOMINATED by white male perspectives. This is why someone like Weinstien was a thing for so long. Who are the black latino studio heads? Who are the black and latinos who are running TV networks? Netflix and Amazon?

This is why shows like Blackish and Fresh off The Boat are celebrated. This is why movies like Black Panther and Wonder Woman get so much acclaim. JFC can you IMAGINE if Wonder Woman was as bad as **** like Suicide Squad?

Sometimes things aren't made specifically for white males. Sometimes, PoC and women deserve to hear how other PoC and women feel about things. And if having to read about that makes you upset, then I can't imagine what you'd be feeling if the shoe was on the other foot.
TCTTS
AG
VERY well said.
AggieIce
AG
Don't ruin the thread with this crap
rhutton125
AG
I have no data to back this up, but I think the numbers show that the female population who plays video games, reads comics, etc. is a lot larger than we may think. I think a lot of this "SJW" push is to capitalize on that. The stereotypical comic book reader may be a white male nerd, but I think that's outdated.

You can find a good example of what I mean by looking at bad examples. Remember, Ike Perlmutter vetoed Iron Man 3 having a female villain, because girls don't buy toys. He's also presumably the one behind having Iron Man ride a motorcycle in the Age of Ultron Lego set (instead of Black Widow, like every trailer showed) for the same reasons. Marvel got a lot of **** for that, and deservedly so! I'm glad that guy's no longer meddling in these films. And then Wonder Woman comes along and what a surprise, toys and costumes and merchandise - not to mention movie tickets - are selling like hot cakes.

It took 20 films before a female headlined (or in this case, co-headlined: Ant-Man and the Wasp) an MCU film. The 21st film is the first female solo film. Marvel is smart to capitalize on that. It may annoy you with its marketing, but imagine how annoying it'd be being a female kid and having to wait for 20 films to come out before you could get an appropriate Halloween costume.
FightinTexasAg15
AG
Urban Ag
AG
Do you have any empirical data that suggests millions of young girls spent all those years annoyed at not having a female lead in an MCU film? I really think you are over thinking this. Ever wonder why the studio heads got all those other male dominated films out first? It sure isn't a conspiracy in Hollywood to hold women back.

As for MBAR's point, well made and well received. Not sure I buy it on the gender side but no question that other demographics would want more characters and more perspectives they can relate too.

digital_ag
AG
Oh yay another hot take on the culture war.
AliasMan02
AG
I want my daughter to have more strong women heros to look up to. There are a lot out there in American fiction, but it's a disproportionately low amount.

Also, the world is made shallow and two dimensional when it too homogeneous. In a canon where a great percentage of heroes get their gifts by random chance or circumstance, it's undeniable that too few are women to make much sense.

Give me as much Captain Marvel as I can get.
AgfromHOU
AG
Same here. I am about to have a daughter and I've already gotten her plenty of Wonder Woman stuff, as well as other strong women things.
fig96
AG
And to think I loaded this up excited for some sort of news when I saw 45 new posts...
John Matrix
AG
Great post!
rhutton125
AG
Not that girls would want girl merchandise, no. But a quick google shows that somewhere between 37% and 46% of comic readers are female. No wonder they want to tap into that market a bit more
First Page Last Page
Page 342 of 790

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.