*** MARVEL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE *** [Staff message on OP]

3,490,591 Views | 27706 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by MooreTrucker
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
They can write it so that you and I can wear it. I wouldn't overthink it.
jackie childs
i mentioned this in the captain marvel thread, but this thread seems more appropriate.

through 20 movies now, Marvel has done an incredible job with casting its heroes. it's easy to forget now, but RDJ as tony stark was considered a huge risk at the time. evans and hemsworth weren't slam-dunks either. people questioned the decision to cast the chubby guy from parks and rec in a movie about heroes that nobody knew. now, it's difficult to imagine anybody else playing any of those roles.

their "hit rate" is just phenomenal.

is norton the biggest "miscast" among the heroes? maybe howard as rhodey? anybody else you think is miscast?

also, discussing the villains is a whole other issue. i'm not sure Marvel's "villain problem" is as much about miscasting as it is about having poorly developed/written villains.
Farmer1906
AG
Howard was a great rodey. I just recently watched IM and IM2 back to back.

I don't think Mark has don't anything with the Hulk that Ed couldn't have. It's not exactly a deep character on screen. He's a smart guy who gets mad and green then smashes. He's never gotten the big moments like Cap, Tony, & Thor have. I'd even say Hawkeye has had bigger moments that require good acting.

I think Robert California as Ultron was a little off. They went a strange direction with Drax but o ended up loving it. It feels like they do very little wrong.
MooreTrucker
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I don't think Mark has don't anything with the Hulk that Ed couldn't have. It's not exactly a deep character on screen. He's a smart guy who gets mad and green then smashes. He's never gotten the big moments like Cap, Tony, & Thor have. I'd even say Hawkeye has had bigger moments that require good acting.

I don't think Norton could pull off the nerdy quiet science guy as well as Ruffalo can. He's a bit too...I don't know....tough or arrogant or something.

Plus I just don't like Norton at all. My favorite moment in his films is when Matt Damon punches him in the face in The Italian Job.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I can't see Norton doing any of comedic stuff from Ragnorok and Infinity War.
redline248
AG
tysker said:

Elastica - Connection
Bjork - Army of Me
Liz Phair - Supernova
tysker gets some internet points for calling Elastica in a trailer (albeit 2nd trailer and not 1st) back in September
jackie childs
Bruce Almighty said:

plus he has a reputation for being at least somewhat difficult to work with. i don't think marvel wanted to deal with that as they were building toward avengers and its ensemble cast.
Farmer1906
AG
MooreTrucker said:

Farmer1906 said:

I don't think Norton could pull off the nerdy quiet science guy as well as Ruffalo can. He's a bit too...I don't know....tough or arrogant or something.

Plus I just don't like Norton at all. My favorite moment in his films is when Matt Damon punches him in the face in The Italian Job.
I absolutely loved him in Rounders, Fight Club, and American History X and think he's extremely talented. I can't say I've seen a ton fo his recent films, but I don't think it takes the greatest actor to do what Mark does. Not that I think Mark doesn't do his thing well, it just isn't Shakespeare we're talking about.

Regardless, I'm happy with the recast. The MCU has basically made these actors synonymous with their superhero characters. Usually, it takes a long-running TV show to do that for me.

The MCU nailed Nick Fury so well that the comics changed to match the MCU.
MooreTrucker
AG
Farmer1906 said:

MooreTrucker said:

Farmer1906 said:

I absolutely loved him in Rounders, Fight Club, and American History X and think he's extremely talented. I can't say I've seen a ton fo his recent films, but I don't think it takes the greatest actor to do what Mark does. Not that I think Mark doesn't do his thing well, it just isn't Shakespeare we're talking about.

Regardless, I'm happy with the recast. The MCU has basically made these actors synonymous with their superhero characters. Usually, it takes a long-running TV show to do that for me.

I'm not saying Norton is not really talented (even though I hate him) but his style doesn't work for Banner as well as Ruffalo. It's not a question of talent as much as the type of guy Banner is. He needs to be someone quiet and cerebral and sciency, which Norton doesn't do as well.
fig96
AG
MooreTrucker said:

Farmer1906 said:

MooreTrucker said:

Farmer1906 said:

I'm not saying Norton is not really talented (even though I hate him) but his style doesn't work for Banner as well as Ruffalo. It's not a question of talent as much as the type of guy Banner is. He needs to be someone quiet and cerebral and sciency, which Norton doesn't do as well.
Agreed, the comedic stuff I've seen him do (his character in Birdman comes to mind) is good but it isn't the right vibe for Banner.
Post removed:
by user
Farmer1906
AG
third coast.. said:

Farmer1906 said:

MooreTrucker said:

Farmer1906 said:

Holy **** they did? That's incredible
Maybe not exactly, but they based it on Samuel L Jackson. I don't know if it was pre or post the start of the MCU. Or he's Nick Fury Jr in the comics now. IDK. You know how comics are.

Post removed:
by user
AliasMan02
AG
Ultimate Nick Fury looked like SLJ before the MCU.
tysker
AG
redline248 said:

tysker said:

Elastica - Connection
Bjork - Army of Me
Liz Phair - Supernova
tysker gets some internet points for calling Elastica in a trailer (albeit 2nd trailer and not 1st) back in September

I'm going to use those points to impress my 10 yr old daughter. I really thought Army of Me was the leading candidate
bearamedic99
AG
While Norton didn't work out, Ruffalo and Rudd I think were not the best decisions.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Man, I think Rudd is awesome.
MooreTrucker
AG
bearamedic99 said:

While Norton didn't work out, Ruffalo and Rudd I think were not the best decisions.
Who would have been better?
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
MooreTrucker
AG
C@LAg said:

wrong.

black nick fury was in the ultimate comics years before the MCU, and they ask him to assume the role in the movies.
From the Marvel Database:

Quote:

• Samuel L. Jackson originally didn't give consent for Marvel Comics to base the appearance of Nick Fury after him. After contacting Marvel about this issue, they offered Jackson an opportunity to play Nick Fury in their planned movies, which led to his role in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.[url=http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Nicholas_Fury_(Earth-1610)#cite_note-39][40][/url]

• Ultimate Nick Fury was originally going to be modeled after Morgan Freeman.[url=http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Nicholas_Fury_(Earth-1610)#cite_note-40][41][/url]

YouBet
AG
For those that like Rudd as Ant-Man, it's probably because most know nothing about the comic book character so we have nothing to compare against. Hes generally loved by general audiences because he's funny.

In other words, they basically aligned Ant-Man to Paul Rudd's personality and not the other way around because 99% of people won't know any different.

Hell, didn't the comic Ant-Man beat the sh^t out of his wife or was that Michael Douglas's character? No one is going to want to know or see that associated with one of these characters.
Broba Fett
Maybe he'll sneak in the shower to spy on Miss Marvel like in the comics.

dave94
AG
YouBet said:

Hell, didn't the comic Ant-Man beat the sh^t out of his wife or was that Michael Douglas's character? No one is going to want to know or see that associated with one of these characters.
I believe that was Hank and Janet.
AgfromHOU
AG
They changed Star Lord in the comics to be more like Chris Pratt's movie portrayal
Bruce Almighty
AG
I think you can say that about a lot of these characters though. Thor is a lot funnier in the movies than he is in the comics. Hell, all these characters are funnier in the movies than in the comics. Probably the one that has been best aligned to the actual comic book character is Daredevil, Captain America if just looking at the movies.
rhutton125
AG
Paul Rudd isn't much like Scott Lang from the comics, and Jeremy Renner's Hawkeye isn't very much like the comics version, but I think it still ended up okay. They're good in other ways.
Whos Juan
AG
jackie childs said:

Bruce Almighty said:

plus he has a reputation for being at least somewhat difficult to work with. i don't think marvel wanted to deal with that as they were building toward avengers and its ensemble cast.
Well now Spiderman is back in the mix, they could always give Edward Norton a second chance and cast him as Rhino. He might still have the costume for it, after all.
texasaggie04
AG
Not to make this an Ed Norton thread, but he really should have won an Oscar for his role in primal fear.
The fact that he doesn't have an Oscar yet is mind boggling.
TXAGFAN
AG
texasaggie04 said:

Not to make this an Ed Norton thread, but he really should have won an Oscar for his role in primal fear.
What has he even done in last 5-10 years? I watch a lot of movies and can't remember the last time I saw him.
Fenrir
Wes Anderson movies.
veryfuller
Staff
AG
He's been in Wes Anderson movies and Birdman (which he was great in). The Incredible Hulk was actually his last big commercial movie.
Bruce Almighty
AG
TXAGFAN said:

texasaggie04 said:

What has he even done in last 5-10 years? I watch a lot of movies and can't remember the last time I saw him.
He's in a lot of Wes Anderson movies. Grand Budapest Hotel, Moonrise Kingdom, etc. He was also in Birdman and the last Jason Bourne movie.
MooreTrucker
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

TXAGFAN said:

texasaggie04 said:

He's in a lot of Wes Anderson movies. Grand Budapest Hotel, Moonrise Kingdom, etc. He was also in Birdman and the last Jason Bourne movie.
Did Matt Damon get to punch him in that one, too?
jeffk
AG
He got beat up pretty good in Rounders.
tysker
AG
TXAGFAN said:

texasaggie04 said:

He carried Birdman for me. I loved watching him go back and forth between 'himself' and his 'character.'
First Page Last Page
Page 328 of 792

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.