*** MARVEL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE *** [Staff message on OP]

3,354,101 Views | 27148 Replies | Last: 18 hrs ago by C@LAg
jtstanley4621
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Gotta say, now that the idea was put in my head I'm pretty disappointed to hear no All Star in the trailer.

But yeah it felt kinda disconnected, more like a teaser than an actual trailer.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
I'll admit, it took me a second to figure out the punching of the old lady.

And was psyched to see the Kree helmet being used:

GiveEmHellBill
AG
And for those saying it looked like a teaser instead of a trailer:

It comes out in March.

Mary Poppins Returns comes out in December and we just got the first trailer from that movie yesterday.
tysker
AG
The music seems over the top. Its like they're forcing us to recognize that this character is important. If it wasnt a Marvel product I'm not sure that trailer does much to inspire viewership
rhutton125
AG
I think it looks better than I expected, visually, but yes - as a teaser, it doesn't leave us with many talking points.

See y'all in 2 months when a full trailer is released!
OnlyForNow
AG
It has a more serious tone than Ragnarok or the GOTG.

So maybe that's why there isn't any "hit" music (no songs - just instrumental).

jeffk
AG
That was awesome. Now we finally have something specific to point to when referencing the downfall of Blockbuster.
aTmLoKi
AG
tysker said:

The music seems over the top. Its like they're forcing us to recognize that this character is important. If it wasnt a Marvel product I'm not sure that trailer does much to inspire viewership
The pager at the end of Infinity War set this up. Many casual fans had no idea what that symbol meant and why it was significant. I think the music in this trailer speaks to that very significance.
AliasMan02
AG
Some of y'all are nuts. That was awesome.
jtstanley4621
AG
jeffk said:

That was awesome. Now we finally have something specific to point to when referencing the downfall of Blockbuster.
The Kree-Skrull war was finally what brought Blockbuster to its knees.
SeattleAgJr
That was very underwhelming. As others have stated, it is a very disjointed trailer that really did not find any rhythm. While the visuals look good, some of that line delivery was pretty rough. Not a trailer to generate much excitement.
jeffk
AG
So will we get a scene where Nick Fury helps to design the color scheme of her new uniform or does she made the switch from green hues all on her own?
Liquid Wrench
AliasMan02 said:

Agreed; trailer criticism has gotten to be as snobby as actual film criticism. The visuals look good and it piqued my interest in her background. And Kree warriors!
SeattleAgJr
jeffk said:

So will we get a scene where Nick Fury helps to design the color scheme of her new uniform or does she made the switch from green hues all on her own?

and it is Criminal we're going straight from the green suit to the red yellow and blue suit without ever going through the black suit with the lightning bolt.

but we probably would need a different actress for the part if we went that route.
tysker
AG
aTmLoKi said:

tysker said:

The pager at the end of Infinity War set this up. Many casual fans had no idea what that symbol meant and why it was significant. I think the music in this trailer speaks to that very significance.
For the the music was overly bombastic and just never really lead anywhere. If there was a climax it was when the music drops out emphasizing her line of 'I'm not what you think I am.' which is weird because we all know pretty much exactly what you are and where you will be in about 20-25 years. Visually it looks cool and I love what they can with aging/anti-aging CGI now.
redline248
AG
So I'm going to take a stab at this...

Movie starts with her in space fighting Skrulls with Mar-vell and the crew, then gets sent back to Earth to fight some, while having to remember that she was from Earth all along?
tysker
AG
And the Skrulls have a large financial stake in Blockbuster... So two birds, one stone.
MooreTrucker
AG
ChiliBeans said:

AliasMan02 said:

Agreed; trailer criticism has gotten to be as snobby as actual film criticism. The visuals look good and it piqued my interest in her background. And Kree warriors!
Yeah, but you know what Kree warriors are. And Skrulls. And why she punched that old lady.

Those of us who don't know those things yet are OK to be underwhelmed.
Bruce Almighty
AG
If I remember correctly, everyone was underwhelmed with the first Ragnorak trailer.
Farmer1906
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

If I remember correctly, everyone was underwhelmed with the first Ragnorak trailer.
They were? I thought it was awesome.
Beat40
MooreTrucker said:

ChiliBeans said:

AliasMan02 said:

Yeah, but you know what Kree warriors are. And Skrulls. And why she punched that old lady.

Those of us who don't know those things yet are OK to be underwhelmed.
It's ok to be underwhelmed. There are certainly some things in this teaser which are underwhelming. However, some of criticism on this thread from multiple people is about the dialogue being choppy. Seriously. Dialogue being choppy in a teaser. That's the point the person you're responding to is making.

I know nothing about Kree warriors and skrulls. I know nothing about why she punched an old lady, but it's awesome to see that in a teaser trailer because you know there has to be more to the story.

I thought it was a pretty decent trailer that leads me to ask more questions. Nothing shocking or earth shattering, but enough to make me interested.

veryfuller
Staff
AG
Marvel may have painted themselves into a corner here. This movie has to be good, and we have to love this character if she is going to play a big role in Avengers 4. Otherwise, it doesn't matter how good these films have been up until now if they don't stick the landing in Avengers 4. Its very risky to put so much weight on a brand new character 2 months before wrapping up 10 years of storyline. I hope its good, but this trailer has me thinking more Green Lantern than Captain America, which doesn't really leave me optimistic. But I will reserve judgement until I see the movie in March.
Solo Tetherball Champ
Bruce Almighty said:

I don't think you remember correctly....
tamusc
AG
veryfuller said:

Marvel may have painted themselves into a corner here. This movie has to be good, and we have to love this character if she is going to play a big role in Avengers 4. Otherwise, it doesn't matter how good these films have been up until now if they don't stick the landing in Avengers 4. Its very risky to put so much weight on a brand new character 2 months before wrapping up 10 years of storyline. I hope its good, but this trailer has me thinking more Green Lantern than Captain America, which doesn't really leave me optimistic. But I will reserve judgement until I see the movie in March.
The worst of the MCU has still been significantly better than Green Lantern and Marvel Studios has been on fire with the last few films. What leads you to believe that they'll whiff at this point??

Heck not just whiff, but completely fall off the cliff in terms of quality worse than they ever have?
Beat40
I liked the lines in the beginning by Fury -

"War is universal. I know a renegade solider who has seen one. Never thought it would come from above."

I like it In the context that we know all of what has come from above and this is kind of an origin to all of that.

Also, Fury has to be saying that to Coulson, right? Surely about going to find her.
veryfuller
Staff
AG
In my opinion, some of these franchises have had terrible starts. Incredible Hulk was bad enough that they didn't give Hulk his own movie ever again. It took 3 tries to finally get the tone right for Thor. Those characters survived because Joss Whedon knew how to use them well in the team up, and I do trust the Russo brothers to bring it all together in Avengers 4, but if Captain Marvel is close in tone to say, Thor: The Dark World, then the Russo will have a lot of heavy lifting to do with her character in a movie thats already got to accomplish a lot. Marvel has had a pretty good run lately, but thats been off the back of some visionary directors with specific visions, and I haven't gotten that vibe at all from this project. I could be wrong, but thats where all my concerns are coming from.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
veryfuller said:

You could have said this exact same thing at this point last year: when the Black Panther trailer came out and we knew that the characters & Wakanda were going to be playing a pivotal role in Avengers: Infinity War. Boy, talk about risky.

Also, it's not like we've never gone to these places before. It's the same outer space settings/races we were introduced to in the Guardians of the Galaxy movies. We're not really going to a "new" place. Heck, even Ronan the Accuser is in this movie.
Farmer1906
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

veryfuller said:

You could have said this exact same thing at this point last year: when the Black Panther trailer came out and we knew that the characters & Wakanda were going to be playing a pivotal role in Avengers: Infinity War. Boy, talk about risky.

Also, it's not like we've never gone to these places before. It's the same outer space settings/races we were introduced to in the Guardians of the Galaxy movies. We're not really going to a "new" place. Heck, even Ronan the Accuser is in this movie.
Not quite. BP was in Civil War and pretty much universally liked in that.
tamusc
AG
veryfuller said:

In my opinion, some of these franchises have had terrible starts. Incredible Hulk was bad enough that they didn't give Hulk his own movie ever again. It took 3 tries to finally get the tone right for Thor. Those characters survived because Joss Whedon knew how to use them well in the team up, and I do trust the Russo brothers to bring it all together in Avengers 4, but if Captain Marvel is close in tone to say, Thor: The Dark World, then the Russo will have a lot of heavy lifting to do with her character in a movie thats already got to accomplish a lot. Marvel has had a pretty good run lately, but thats been off the back of some visionary directors with specific visions, and I haven't gotten that vibe at all from this project. I could be wrong, but thats where all my concerns are coming from.
The Incredible Hulk was technically a Marvel Studios film, but it was mostly the realm of Universal. It was also the first film from Marvel Studios and again, they didn't have full creative control, Universal did. The reason there hasn't been another standalone Hulk film also has little to nothing to do with the performance of that film and has everything to do with the fact that Universal still owns the distribution rights to any solo Hulk film.

I didn't say the MCU was perfect either, but I did say that the very worst the MCU has to offer is significantly better than Green Lantern and I stand by that. I also think the chances of this movie dropping off the cliff in terms of quality all the way down to Green Lantern is laughably small.
veryfuller
Staff
AG
That is true, but I had a lot more faith in Ryan Coogler (who I was already a fan of) than Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck (who admittedly I had never heard of). That doesn't mean the movie isn't going to be good, but if it was directed by Kathryn Bigelow, or someone else with a track record of mastering vision and tone, I would be less worried. The trailer just didn't do anything to re-assure me that its not going to be a misstep. But its a trailer, its not the movie, so I'll wait and see.
fig96
AG
Some of y'all are...critical. I'm totally in for this.
FancyKetchup14
AG
I'm in.

Side note: Brie Larson is such a smokeshow
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Meh.
jtstanley4621
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Meh.
I'm sorry but I must defend my future wife's honor

SeattleAgJr
FancyKetchup14 said:

Brie Larson is such a smokeshow

I don't get this either.

She is not unattractive, but she is not a knockout.
First Page Last Page
Page 297 of 776

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.