*** MARVEL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE *** [Staff message on OP]

3,511,869 Views | 27737 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by Brian Earl Spilner
bearamedic99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
more intelligent, not intelligent
TCTTS
AG
hurleyag
AG
https://instagr.am/p/Bl3OW-XBNTO

Like Karen did?
Ulrich
Dave Bautista's signature is legit.
jtstanley4621
AG
I always kind of laugh seeing other's signatures. My signature is absolute garbage, barely legible. You're right, Bautista's is really good.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Here's my question about this this:

There is no person or persons who can claim the responsibility for the firing, is there?

It's not like the old days, when you could say "Michael Eisner fires James Gunn" and fans could try and appeal to that specific person. Right now, it's "Disney fired James Gunn." Disney can just stay silent and ignore all these pleas and weather this storm out because there isn't a real person who has to dodge the media barrage going to spin class or anything like that.

I don't see any of these petitions doing anything because it's a faceless corporation and not a person who has to answer for this. Right?

Now of course, if the entire cast bands together and refuses to work unless he's brought back, then maybe......
TCTTS
AG
All true, but to me this is the cast signaling to Disney very strongly, without outright making a demand. If Disney doesn't reverse course, I could see the cast walking. This was highly coordinated and they seem banded together.
Sex Panther
AG
They are under contract
**** THE RANGERS

**** GARCIA

ALTUVE IS GOD
MooreTrucker
AG
Sex Panther said:

They are under contract
Anymore these days, contracts aren't worth the paper they're printed on.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

Now of course, if the entire cast bands together and refuses to work unless he's brought back, then maybe......
This is exactly what I've been trying to tell a buddy of mine, but he thinks it's too risky.

They don't even need everyone. If Pratt and Saldana refuse to come back, they'll bring Gunn back. No Pratt, no Guardians.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Sex Panther said:

They are under contract
I'll point you to one Kawhi Leonard.
Sex Panther
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Sex Panther said:

They are under contract

They're gonna fake an injury?
**** THE RANGERS

**** GARCIA

ALTUVE IS GOD
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, but the ones who matter can afford to break it, I imagine.
AgMarauder04
AG
If they had a reputation of sticking up for others who had unfairly been railroaded, I'd be a lot more impressed.
MBAR
AG
I read it the exact opposite as TCTTS. They're saying they want him back to cover their ass with the fans upset about the firing but if they were going to demand something they'd demand it. Pratt has all the power in the world here. If he wanted Gunn back, he'd be back.

We'd like him back seems like very weak language, IMO. The fact that this is a week and a half later and so calculated makes me think agents, managers, and PR people have a heavy hand in it and since when do those people advocate walking away from a movie?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
He said he was refusing to even enter the Spurs' locker room next year. Like the little ***** he is.

(I'm not bitter.)
MBAR
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

He said he was refusing to even enter the Spurs' locker room next year. Like the little ***** he is.

(I'm not bitter.)
To hell with that snake. (not that I'm bitter either)
Ulrich
Given today's boycott mentality it would have been very easy to either outright say they won't do GotG3 or at least imply it a lot more strongly. They would have gotten a lot of support for doing so, but they didn't even outright say Disney should rehire Gunn.

I'd guess that they want Disney to recognize that it's best for everyone to just take him back without making it an obvious standoff. Right now there's a win/win on the table. A public ultimatum removes that possibility and makes a lose/lose outcome a lot more likely.
dave94
AG
MBAR said:

I read it the exact opposite as TCTTS. They're saying they want him back to cover their ass with the fans upset about the firing but if they were going to demand something they'd demand it. Pratt has all the power in the world here. If he wanted Gunn back, he'd be back.

We'd like him back seems like very weak language, IMO. The fact that this is a week and a half later and so calculated makes me think agents, managers, and PR people have a heavy hand in it and since when do those people advocate walking away from a movie?
I'm pretty sure that the cast doesn't want to adversely affect the entire crew of the movie, who has presumably been the same group for both films. It would be bad if they risked the movie being outright cancelled.
MBAR
AG
dave94 said:

MBAR said:

I'm pretty sure that the cast doesn't want to adversely affect the entire crew of the movie, who has presumably been the same group for both films. It would be bad if they risked the movie being outright cancelled.
But thats exactly what they have to do if they want Gunn back, right? What other leverage do they have? If Gunn is half the man they claim, he'd tell them not to do it on his behalf to begin with for the very reason you're taking about.
MBAR
AG
Ulrich said:

Given today's boycott mentality it would have been very easy to either outright say they won't do GotG3 or at least imply it a lot more strongly. They would have gotten a lot of support for doing so, but they didn't even outright say Disney should rehire Gunn.

I'd guess that they want Disney to recognize that it's best for everyone to just take him back without making it an obvious standoff. Right now there's a win/win on the table. A public ultimatum removes that possibility and makes a lose/lose outcome a lot more likely.
I just don't see how that is plausible but I could be wrong. IMO, they've had these talks over the past week behind the scenes. Agents have called the appropriate people at Disney and if things haven't been reversed at this point, its going to take the actors fully using their leverage.

If the threats were going to be made they would have already been made in private. I'm not sure how an instagram post makes those threats more credible. If I'm Disney, am I thinking the threat more likely due to this post? Nope. But maybe that's just me.
Ulrich
MBAR said:

Ulrich said:

I just don't see how that is plausible but I could be wrong. IMO, they've had these talks over the past week behind the scenes. Agents have called the appropriate people at Disney and if things haven't been reversed at this point, its going to take the actors fully using their leverage.

If the threats were going to be made they would have already been made in private. I'm not sure how an instagram post makes those threats more credible. If I'm Disney, am I thinking the threat more likely due to this post? Nope. But maybe that's just me.

Disney sees two of the most bankable, well liked guys in Hollywood on record against their actions here. All of those actors, most of whom are well known, are going to be asked about it in every interview, which gives the story legs.

Maybe it's not sufficient to get the job done or maybe all they are doing is expressing support for a friend and trying to temper the level of vitriol on social media. On the other hand, sometimes WHO says it is more important than what was said, and that's a pretty stout list of names.
jackie childs
is kevin feige the answer to all of this?

he steps in as the "mediator" and brings Gunn back. Disney releases a statement saying that when they bought Marvel, a bit reason was the trust they had in Feige and if he believes that the tweets from 6 years ago don't reflect the man Gunn is today, then Disney will trust him and allow him to return and Gunn agrees to contribute a portion of his GOTG Vol. 3 compensation toward a child abuse charity.
AliasMan02
AG
jackie childs said:

is kevin feige the answer to all of this?

he steps in as the "mediator" and brings Gunn back. Disney releases a statement saying that when they bought Marvel, a bit reason was the trust they had in Feige and if he believes that the tweets from 6 years ago don't reflect the man Gunn is today, then Disney will trust him and allow him to return and Gunn agrees to contribute a portion of his GOTG Vol. 3 compensation toward a child abuse charity.

That's a solid plan.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, I dig that.
jtstanley4621
AG
Sex Panther said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Sex Panther said:

They are under contract

They're gonna fake an injury?
Okay but for real it would be hilarious if the entire cast faked injuries until Gunn came back.
MooreTrucker
AG
Breaking News: Chris Pratt injured his quad filming a Michelob Ultra commercial. Details at 10.
Urban Ag
AG
TCTTS said:

https://instagr.am/p/Bl3OVfeF8Dc
I think Pratt may have missed an opportunity here. Instead of always ensuring that world knows just how much you disapprove of tweets Gunn put out there 10 years ago or so, he should have said "I'd like to take moment to remind everyone that James Gunn is not a pedophile, he never actually hurt a child, and he never would. He made a stupid, terrible joke, but that's all it was. A joke. My Christian faith teaches me to forgive and that's what I think everyone needs to do here, forgive the man for a really bad joke, accept his heartfelt apology, and move on."

TCTTS
AG
I don't know. That could backfire big time. The extreme right weirdos are the only ones who think Gunn is an actual pedophile. No need to put even that concept in the minds of the rest of the world.
Gigem314
AG
Urban Ag said:

TCTTS said:

https://instagr.am/p/Bl3OVfeF8Dc
I think Pratt may have missed an opportunity here. Instead of always ensuring that world knows just how much you disapprove of tweets Gunn put out there 10 years ago or so, he should have said "I'd like to take moment to remind everyone that James Gunn is not a pedophile, he never actually hurt a child, and he never would. He made a stupid, terrible joke, but that's all it was. A joke. My Christian faith teaches me to forgive and that's what I think everyone needs to do here, forgive the man for a really bad joke, accept his heartfelt apology, and move on."
I think he handled it just fine. Bringing up his faith in a situation like this opens the door for more distraction because you can bet there would be people in the Hollywood bubble and media that would want to jump on him for it in some kind of way...given the hot-button issue of this topic and the spotlight being cast on it right now.

These people work in a largely unforgiving industry where image and perception is everything. Yeah there's the defense of weirdos like Roman Pollanski, but even in today's #MeToo climate I'm not even sure he would be given a pass like he was in the past. Given the contracts and money at stake, there will be a lot of reassuring from these actors that people know they disagree with the tweets...even if it seems trivial. That's just the world we live in now.
TCTTS
AG
Interesting take I hadn't considered...

Quote:

There's also a more cynical way to view this letter: as part of a coordinated campaign on Disney's behalf that includes these actors. Could Disney be writing their own public redemption story with the help of these performers behind the scenes, realizing they made a mistake, and are now working toward bringing Gunn back to try and save face in the eyes of millions upon millions of moviegoers? Anything's possible these days, but it'd be great to truly believe that this is simply an act of genuine support from these cinematic misfits, desperately trying to convey their faith in a wrongfully-terminated comrade.

bearamedic99
AG
I see the tweet as a weak attempt to share support and hope than in a week of no response, they go active in protesting.

I think that Disney did a good job of putting Gunn in detention and should bring him back.
AgMarauder04
AG
Save face with millions upon millions of moviegoers? I promise you that 90% has already forgotten.
MBAR
AG
AgMarauder04 said:

Save face with millions upon millions of moviegoers? I promise you that 90% has already forgotten.
90% is conservative as hell. 90% probably never knew about it. I don't know anyone outside of this forum talking about this.
YouBet
AG
AgMarauder04 said:

I've already forgotten what he said and I'm on this thread.
First Page Last Page
Page 279 of 793

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.