*** MARVEL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE *** [Staff message on OP]

3,517,191 Views | 27739 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by C@LAg
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
"This" to all 3 parts? You agree that it doesn't really make sense to change Peter just because?
TCTTS
AG
Absolutely. Because they're not changing him "just because."
redline248
AG
Uh, yes they are

If in fact they do change him
dcaggie04
AG
quote:
It's SEPARATING it from the Sony films, plain and simple.
If that was truly the case, then they could go with the Morales version of spiderman and you wouldn't be having these discussions.

I just don't see why it is such a bad thing or "racist" to want the movie character to stay true to the continuous depiction of them through the life of this character.
FL_Ag1998
AG
TCTTS, my frustration comes from the article you linked, which DOES state political reasons for changing his race. Go read the parts I singled out. You're purposely ignoring those parts and just focusing on the "I want to separate this Peter Parker from the others". In fact, one could argue that the whole reason he wants to separate this version is political, given those other statements I high lighted.
dcaggie04
AG
Also, what is a legit reason for changing him?
FL_Ag1998
AG
Yes, TCTTS, its disingenuous and a little insulting when apparently the only way I can "prove" I'm not racist is to say Peter Parker should be black.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
If that was truly the case, then they could go with the Morales version of spiderman and you wouldn't be having these discussions.

Because then he wouldn't be Peter Parker. There's a huge difference.
TCTTS
AG
quote:

Because a THIRD white Peter Parker in 10 years could be a little confusing for some audiences. Plus, it further separates the Marvel iteration from the sony iteration.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
Yes, TCTTS, its disingenuous and a little insulting when apparently the only way I can "prove" I'm not racist is to say Peter Parker should be black.

It's not that he SHOULD be black. That's not what anyone's saying. I'm saying it's idiotic to insist on him being white. It truly doesn't matter what color he is. At all.

Ultimately, his color isn't what should identify him.
redline248
AG
quote:
quote:

Because a THIRD white Peter Parker in 10 years could be a little confusing for some audiences. Plus, it further separates the Marvel iteration from the sony iteration.

That's not a legit reason. As I said, it's not white Peter Parker's fault that Sony sucks.
TajMaballer
AG
Outside of his skin color in the comics, what makes Peter Parker white?
TCTTS
AG
quote:
That's not a legit reason. As I said, it's not white Peter Parker's fault that Sony sucks.

What does that have to do with anything? I'm legit asking. I don't understand that argument.
Bruce Almighty
AG
quote:
quote:

It's not that he SHOULD be black. That's not what anyone's saying. I'm saying it's idiotic to insist on him being white. It truly doesn't matter what color he is. At all.

And I would say it's idiotic to get upset that many people may actually want him to stay white because that's who Peter Parker is and want to stay faithful to the story.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
Besides his skin color, what makes Peter Parker white?

Absolutely nothing.
FL_Ag1998
AG
quote:
quote:

Because then he wouldn't be Peter Parker. There's a huge difference.

Miles Morales is a character they've already created. He's there, ready to be used. The fact that you insist they use Peter Parker for the ethnic Spiderman would seem to indicate political motivation.

Can you see how me drawing that conclusion is just as maddening as you drawing the conclusion that racism is the only reason that Peter Parker should remain white?
TCTTS
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

And I would say it's idiotic to get upset that many people may actually want him to stay white because that's who Peter Parker is and want to stay faithful to the story.

How can you not see how backwards that thinking is, though? Wanting a character to be white for NO OTHER REASON than "that's how it's always been done" is messed up. Again, NOTHING about Peter Parker is white, other than his skin color. Keeping him white isn't "staying true" to anything other than a color. There is nothing inherently white about his CHARACTER.
TajMaballer
AG
quote:
quote:

Absolutely nothing.

There we have it! EOD!

swimmerbabe11
quote:
It would be the original character, just with a new paint job.

So they are going to reverse Michael Jackson him?!
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
quote:

Absolutely nothing.

Not true... we saw his dancing in Spiderman 3
redline248
AG
quote:
quote:

What does that have to do with anything? I'm legit asking. I don't understand that argument.

You're basically saying that bc Sony already rebooted the same character twice in less than 10 years and bc they want to do it again means they have to be different. No they don't. If they didn't want to create confusion they shouldn't have rebooted it so many times in a short span. They've created the problem that you think exists and that isn't a good reason to change Peter Parker.

As far as character confusion goes, which you seem to be must concerned about, you don't think black Peter Parker would be equally, if not more, confusing to people?
TCTTS
AG
quote:
Can you see how me drawing that conclusion is just as maddening as you drawing the conclusion that racism is the only reason that Peter Parker should remain white?

Why do you keep going to these extremes? No one said anything about anyone being racist. I'm simply arguing that there is nothing about Peter Parker that screams "white." He could just as easily be a skinny black nerd living in Queens. That's my only point.
FL_Ag1998
AG
quote:
quote:

Its just stating that the recent reboots starring Andrew Garfield were mistakes, and they shouldn't dictate that the next Spiderman be black just to differentiate him.

And, as for the racism stuff, I'm just trying to argue that, for myself at least, I just want to see the Peter Parker I loved as a kid (my favorite comic) leap onto the big screen and interact with the other superheroes as literally as possible. Nothing else. It has nothing to do with a racist mindset.
FL_Ag1998
AG
quote:
quote:

Why do you keep going to these extremes? No one said anything about anyone being racist. I'm simply arguing that there is nothing about Peter Parker that screams "white." He could just as easily be a skinny black nerd living in Queens. That's my only point.

Uhh, you did state that you would like to see a non-racist reason for Parker staying white.
Bruce Almighty
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

How can you not see how backwards that thinking is, though? Wanting a character to be white for NO OTHER REASON than "that's how it's always been done" is messed up. Again, NOTHING about Peter Parker is white, other than his skin color. Keeping him white isn't "staying true" to anything other than a color. There is nothing inherently white about his CHARACTER.
That's not backwards thinking. Just because it does not matter to you doesn't make it wrong when it matters to other people. For some people, especially those that are huge fans, staying true to the source material is a really big deal. You may not care if he's black and that's fine. Its your opinion. But don't call people out because they want to keep Peter Parker white. You aren't going to change their mind on it.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

You're basically saying that bc Sony already rebooted the same character twice in less than 10 years and bc they want to do it again means they have to be different. No they don't. If they didn't want to create confusion they shouldn't have rebooted it so many times in a short span. They've created the problem that you think exists and that isn't a good reason to change Peter Parker.

As far as character confusion goes, which you seem to be must concerned about, you don't think black Peter Parker would be equally, if not more, confusing to people?

It might very well be just a confusing, sure. I'll give you that.

But this argument that "it's not Marvel's fault" or whatever isn't how Hollywood works. The reality of the situation - no matter whose fault it is - is that Marvel needs to do something to separate the character from the Sony version. They HAVE to. Whether that's a black Parker, using Miles Morales, or making absolute certain audiences know this isn't the same Garfield continuation but with a different actor, something somewhat radical has to be done. That's a fact.
FL_Ag1998
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Absolutely nothing.

Not true... we saw his dancing in Spiderman 3

And with that, I'm done arguing. Need to get back to actual work. No hard feelings hopefully, TCTTS. I genuinely value your film insight, just don't see eye to eye with you on Peter Parker. Man, I felt like such a nerd just typing that.
TCTTS
AG
Right there with you.
FL_Ag1998
AG
And for what's its worth I do understand what you're saying about the need for separation between Peter Parker iterations, and truly believe that is your motivation. I don't think you're arguing this just for political reasons.
TCTTS
AG
Exactly. That's the only place I'm coming from. Sony WILL make some kind of change to the character so no one's scratching their heads wondering, "Wait, is this just the Garfield version with a new actor? Is the the version who fought Electro? Is Gwen dead?" etc. I'm just trying to say, be ready for change, whether that be something as extreme as a black Spider-man, or something as relatively mild as reverting a white Spider-Man back to his freshman year of high school. That, and, if they don't have time in Civil War to explain how/why this white version is new/different from the Garfield version, simply changing the color of his skin is a shorthand way of making it obvious. It would have nothing to do with political motivations

And trust me, I get where you guys are coming from as well. My guess is we're all going to have to meet in the middle on whatever Marvel decides, anyway.
dave94
AG
Why do people think there's this extreme need to differentiate from the previous Spideys? You don't think people will understand this is a whole new take on the character since he's going to be a part of the MCU and interact with all of those characters for the first time? Changing from Peter Parker to Morales, or changing his skin color just isn't necessary.

And I'm Hispanic but I want the first iteration of Spider-man (my favorite comic book character of all time) in this great cinematic universe that Marvel has created to be the Peter Parker that defined the character. I want Steve Rogers to eventually know who's behind the mask and interact with THAT character.

This introduction of Spidey into the Marvel world needs to be as iconic as it deserves to be.
MooreTrucker
AG
quote:
quote:

Except that he's not. He's a white kid from a white family.

He's a character in a comic book, and he's white. Period. To make him black changes the character to someone else. Same way with the black Johnny Storm, especially a black Johnny with a white sister.

Nothing about it makes sense other than politically correct, "be hip and cool and inclusive".
Bobcat06
AG
quote:
Outside of his skin color in the comics, what makes Peter Parker white?

Miles Morales.

Marvel literally invented a character just to make Spiderman black.

If you want to have a black Spiderman, use the one that already exists.
Quinn
AG
#DonaldGloverorCharlieDayforSpiderman
Nonregdrummer09
AG
I fully expect Miles Morales to be introduced by Marvel. After Peter Parker in Civil War and 1 standalone.
First Page Last Page
Page 29 of 793

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.