*** MARVEL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE *** [Staff message on OP]

3,509,830 Views | 27737 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by Brian Earl Spilner
cone
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
slow clap
TexasAggie_02
AG
that gif
Ganondorf
AG
quote:

FL_Ag1998
AG
Sex Panther wins the internet for the day...again!
redline248
AG
Awesome
MASAXET
AG
Question, and possible spoilers based on comic talk:

Does anyone think they'll go the time travel route in age of ultron? I doubt it. I also don't think they'll just take the Independence Day route with a virus that defeats ultron.

Back to your regularly scheduled discussion . . .
jeffk
AG
Y2K will play the hero.
R0GUE
AG
Judging from what's going on in the comics where they seem to be streamlining the universe, and getting rid of time travel and other universes, I get the feeling we won't see such things in the movies.

A) It dilutes the vision of the universe, which is why I think they are getting rid of it in the comics
B) it doesn't fit with the tone of the "realistic world" they've established in the MCU
MASAXET
AG
quote:
Judging from what's going on in the comics where they seem to be streamlining the universe, and getting rid of time travel and other universes, I get the feeling we won't see such things in the movies.

A) It dilutes the vision of the universe, which is why I think they are getting rid of it in the comics
B) it doesn't fit with the tone of the "realistic world" they've established in the MCU

I admittedly don't know too much about the marvel universe from the comics other than a few select stories, but I doubt they go that route mainly because of your reason (B)
fig96
AG
Just a heads up that there's a Marvel special on ABC tonight that looks like it dives into the history of the comics, could be fun.

Variety review of 'Marvel: 75 Years From Pulp to Pop!'
texasaggie04
AG
I haven't read comics in years but I always viewed alternate timelines as a bit of a cop out. Oh no, he's dead! But he's not really dead, he's back from a different future!
R0GUE
AG
It definitely feels that way now, but when they did it the first few times, like with Cable for example, it probably felt pretty fresh and new.
Nonregdrummer09
AG
quote:

I would be very, very surprised if time travel is not involved in the MCU, considering one of the stones is the Time Gem, and they haven't established that one yet.
redline248
AG
...but do they have to?
Fat Bib Fortuna
I always find it odd that Stark and Banner, scientists first and foremost, never seem very interested in the fact that suddenly they have knowledge of other planets, other lifeforms, and a gateway that allows you to travel between worlds.
R0GUE
AG
I would assume they are, it's just not shown on screen. For example, aren't we glad they don't show the Hulk taking a crap on screen?
swimmerbabe11
I would guess that they are, but its not really their brand of science. Jane Foster and co. kinda have that bit covered.
R0GUE
AG
Swimmerbabe that's a good point. In the comics they all have their specialization. Space and alternate dimensions was generally more Reed Richards expertise in the comics. Stark - engineering, Xavier/Beast - genetic mutation, Banner - gamma radiation. If there was one guy who is all over the place it's probably Pym.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
quote:
I always find it odd that Stark and Banner, scientists first and foremost, never seem very interested in the fact that suddenly they have knowledge of other planets, other lifeforms, and a gateway that allows you to travel between worlds.
The plot of Iron Man 3 had Stark having panic attacks from his experience through that dimensional portal. I'd say it affected him pretty significantly.
CGSC Lobotomy
It wasn't just from going through the portal. It was PTSD from the Battle of New York.
bearamedic99
AG
Marvel today posted a teaser for an event next year to trim away most of the multi-verses after a battle royale. Any reading the Edge of the Spider-verse series now? I'm looking at buying the graphic novel. Is it decent?
R0GUE
AG
I only read the Spider-Gwen issue. I did grab the first "Spider-Verse" issue of Amazing Spider-Man yesterday though.
SeattleAgJr
Main multiverse trimming is going on right now with the two main Avengers titles. This has been going on for 3 years now. Big, long story.
Also events started in last few months in All New X-Men and Spider titles.

Everything is building up to a "Secret Wars" event mid next year.

/nerd
MASAXET
AG
Just FYI, on Marvel's reaction to the Age of Ultron trailer leak: http://io9.com/marvel-subpoenas-google-over-the-avengers-age-of-ultro-1655853984
TXAG 05
AG
quote:

In a world with flying aircraft carriers, aliens, wormholes, norse gods, etc, I can see where time travel would draw the line.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
quote:

In a world with flying aircraft carriers, aliens, wormholes, norse gods, etc, I can see where time travel would draw the line.
A fair point, but to Marvel's credit, they have gone to great lengths to take the "magic" out of things. All of the wormhole/world tree/dark matter stuff was thoroughly vetted by consulting astrophysicists. It takes a bit of a leap, but it's not as big as you think.

Marvel could have just said "MAGIC!" and run with it, but they have done a good job of establishing rules and abiding by them. They've similarly stuck by their "no psychics" rule.
BigRobSA
quote:
quote:
Marvel could have just said "MAGIC!" and run with it, but they have done a good job of establishing rules and abiding by them. They've similarly stuck by their "no psychics" rule.

Red Five
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Not that I disagree with you or anything, but lets be real. The only reason there are no psychics is because they dont own the rights for X-men. How many non-mutant telepaths are there?
Bobcat06
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

A fair point, but to Marvel's credit, they have gone to great lengths to take the "magic" out of things. All of the wormhole/world tree/dark matter stuff was thoroughly vetted by consulting astrophysicists. It takes a bit of a leap, but it's not as big as you think.

1. We are still talking about using the time stone for time travel and parallel universes, right? Wormholes go hand in hand with that stuff. Actual (not movie) astrophysicists believe time travel is possible by wormholes.

2. Marvel's "No Magic" rule is about to be obliterated by Dr Strange
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Not that I disagree with you or anything, but lets be real. The only reason there are no psychics is because they dont own the rights for X-men. How many non-mutant telepaths are there?

They have gone "no psychics" because they break the setting, imo. Centering the world around a superspy agency doesn't really work if otherwise ordinary people can read minds or see the future. That could develop differently moving forward of course.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

1. We are still talking about using the time stone for time travel and parallel universes, right? Wormholes go hand in hand with that stuff. Actual (not movie) astrophysicists believe time travel is possible by wormholes.

2. Marvel's "No Magic" rule is about to be obliterated by Dr Strange

I think Strange will be all dimensional, alien, and dark energy. Very magical in all appearances, but with at least lip service paid to something more concrete behind it. "Sufficiently advanced technology" to use the common science fiction phrase.
Red Five
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

They have gone "no psychics" because they break the setting, imo. Centering the world around a superspy agency doesn't really work if otherwise ordinary people can read minds or see the future. That could develop differently moving forward of course.
Come on now. If they could make an X-men movie right now Professor X would be reading the **** out of Nick Fury's mind. SHIELD would develop some sort of technology to block it and everyone would move on.
TexasAggie_02
AG
quote:
Come on now. If they could make an X-men movie right now Professor X would be reading the **** out of Nick Fury's mind. SHIELD would develop some sort of technology to block it and everyone would move on.
and then tony stark would hack it
R0GUE
AG
I'm just trying to get some clarification here, just mostly curious, are some of you saying you feel the powers of the X-Men characters, for example telepathy, feel more "magical" than those of Thor and Hulk?

Red Five
AG
I'm only disputing the idea that the MCU doesn't contain telepaths because Marvel made some decision to not include that powerset. That decision was made for them because 95% of the telepaths are mutants.
First Page Last Page
Page 17 of 793

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.