*** MARVEL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE *** [Staff message on OP]

3,510,076 Views | 27737 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by Brian Earl Spilner
Fat Bib Fortuna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I can't get enough of Thor's face when Cap moves the hammer half a cm.
Bruce Almighty
AG
My first choice would be Summer Glau
CGSC Lobotomy
Glau wouldn't work as Danvers.

Jennifer Walters on the other hand...
CGSC Lobotomy
quote:
quote:
Carol Danvers is introduced as a senior Major.

This means nothing for the movies. Age/looks through 2020 will be WAY more important to Marvel than staying true to some arbitrary ranking in the comics.

There's a noticeable age difference between a Captain during World War II, when officers would advance rather quickly due to simply surviving, and a Major in the modern Air Force.

A woman in her 20's playing a field grade officer won't be taken seriously.

Sam Jackson as a Colonel - believable
Adrian Pasdar as a Brigadeer General - believable
Don Cheadle as a Colonel - believable
Woman in her mid-30s as a Major - believable
Bruce Almighty
AG
I just want to see her in a skimpy superhero costume. Besides, she's probably one of the few actresses that actually knows how to kick ass.
benMath08
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

This means nothing for the movies. Age/looks through 2020 will be WAY more important to Marvel than staying true to some arbitrary ranking in the comics.

There's a noticeable age difference between a Captain during World War II, when officers would advance rather quickly due to simply surviving, and a Major in the modern Air Force.

As opposed to what, a norse god with a magical hammer? A man who can turn into a nearly invincible giant green monster? A man who invented the world's most powerful weaponized suit of armor in a cave?
israeliag
AG
For some reason I feel Allison Brie could be a surprise success as Captain Marvel, just not sure how she'd look pulling off blonde.... Who am I kidding? I'm sure Annie's Boobs would still look great as a blonde.
Red Five
AG
quote:
A man who invented the world's most powerful weaponized suit of armor in a cave?

Point of fact- he technically only created a crude prototype of the world's most powerful weaponized suit of armor while in the cave. That's way more believable.
CGSC Lobotomy
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

As opposed to what, a norse god with a magical hammer? A man who can turn into a nearly invincible giant green monster? A man who invented the world's most powerful weaponized suit of armor in a cave?

None of whom are being portrayed as officers in our current military.

Are you saying that an actor in his early 20s should be playing James Rhodes?
Sex Panther
AG
She will be at least 30. They aren't going to cast Nicola Peltz or Cara Delevingne.
CGSC Lobotomy
quote:
Age/looks through 2020 will be WAY more important to Marvel than staying true to some arbitrary ranking in the comics

It's not arbitrary when, in every incarnation of the character, she's either Major Carol Danvers (USAF) or Captain Carol Danvers (USAF).

That would be like saying that War Machine holds an arbitrary rank, when the filmmakers went out of their way to ensure that he was a Lieutenant Colonel in the Air Force, because that's a critical part of who that character is.

There are only a handful of major Marvel characters who have their military rank as a defining characteristic:

SERGEANT James Barnes
CAPTAIN (later COMMANDER) Steve Rogers
LIEUTENANT COLONEL James Rhodes
LIEUTENANT GENERAL Thaddeus Ross
MAJOR Carol Danvers
COLONEL Nick Fury (General in the Ultimate comics)

The viewing audience is not stupid. They know that someone who has attained the rank of Major has been in the military at least 10 years. When they see someone wearing a gold leaf, they expect to see an "experienced" individual.

You can get away with a much younger actor or actress when portraying a Captain or a Lieutenant. You can NOT get away with that for a Major or Lieutenant Colonel, not if they're going to wear a U.S. Military uniform.
TCTTS
AG
We're saying they don't have to stick to her ranking in the comics. She doesn't have to be a captain/major/colonel/whatever. We have no idea how they're going to treat this iteration of the character. It could be her first day as an officer, for all we know. I hate to break it to you, but the general audience doesn't really care or pay attention to rankings and all that stuff in movies. I'm all for accuracy, but I have NO CLUE what Rhodes' ranking is in these movies.
Quinn
AG
quote:
We're saying they don't have to stick to her ranking in the comics. She doesn't have to be a captain/major/colonel/whatever. We have no idea how they're going to treat this iteration of the character. It could be her day as an officer, for all we know. I hate to break it to you, but the general audience doesn't really care or pay attention to rankings and all that stuff in movies. I'm all for accuracy, but I have NO CLUE what Rhodes' ranking is in these movies.
TCTTS
AG
I couldn't even tell you what the difference is between a sergeant or major. I don't mean to come across as disrespectful at all, I'm just saying I think you're overestimating the general audience's knowledge of such things.
CGSC Lobotomy
quote:
She doesn't have to be a captain/major/colonel/whatever

All of her origin stories have her as an Air Force Major.

And seriously, you don't know what this:

Or this:

Means?
redline248
AG
Are we certain it will be Carol Danvers? Why couldn't Emily Van Camp become captain marvel?
cone
AG
the Carol Danvers actress reveal has been in the pipe for 20 years

TCTTS
AG
quote:

[img]<a href=[/img]https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQTZzCJvSB-7FKDLCumpp6FdwMdP5tuNgSVGVUHTw3Z3Gg_V9hf"">

or this:

[img]<a href=[/img]https://www.google.com/search?site=&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1680&bih=919&q=lieutenant+colonel&oq=lieutenant+colonel&gs_l=img.3..0l10.816.2942.0.3195.18.9.0.0.0.0.471.1181.0j1j2j0j1.4.0....0...1ac.1.57.img..14.4.1179.PU967xaoPBQ#safe=active&tbm=isch&q=+colonel+rank+usaf&facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=039WYTaCig84kM%253A%3BTVb3ZdJ1S-oirM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.vanguardmil.com%252Fimages%252Fmedium%252F0000007150610A_MED.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.vanguardmil.com%252Findex.php%253Fmain_page%253Dproduct_info%2526products_id%253D6176%3B250%3B250">

means?
TCTTS
AG
Sorry, that was just too easy.
FL_Ag1998
AG
I will offer the opinion that, if they are going to build the Avengers 2.0 team around Danvers being one of the leaders, she'll need to be somewhat "older". And by older I mean around 30 and not early 20's.

TCTTS
AG
quote:
I will offer the opinion that, if they are going to build the Avengers 2.0 team around Danvers being one of the leaders, she'll need to be somewhat "older". And by older I mean around 30 and not early 20's.

Definitely in agreement with that.
Sex Panther
AG
This is the exact kind of ridiculous and pointless argument over a casting decision we should be expecting for a Marvel role. This is gonna be an awesome 4 years.
Sex Panther
AG
And personally I think they should cast Jared Leto as Carol Danvers
TCTTS
AG
quote:
This is the exact kind of ridiculous and pointless argument over a casting decision we should be expecting for a Marvel role. This is gonna be an awesome 4 years.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
And personally I think they should cast Jared Leto as Carol Danvers

That would actually be kind of brilliant.
Red Five
AG
quote:
Are we certain it will be Carol Danvers? Why couldn't Emily Van Camp become captain marvel?
Feige flat out said it was Carol Danvers.
FL_Ag1998
AG
NERD FIGHT!!!

TCTTS
AG
quote:
quote:
She doesn't have to be a captain/major/colonel/whatever

All of her origin stories have her as an Air Force Major.

Or this:

Means?

To answer your question - maybe I'm in the minority, but no, I seriously could not tell you which of those means what. I'm assuming the eagle is a higher rank?
CGSC Lobotomy
Eagle (what Don Cheadle was wearing in the last Iron Man movie) = Colonel

Silver Leaf (what Terrence Howard was wearing in Iron Man 1) = Lieutenant Colonel

Gold Leaf (what Tim Guinee was wearing in Iron Man 1 and 2) = Major
cone
AG
quote:
X-Phile 1: How come he gets to be Boba Fett?
William: Ok, fine, *you're* Boba Fett, and *you're* Grand Moff Tarkin.
X-Phile 2: I don't want to be Grand Moff Tarkin!
William: All right, fine, you know what? You're both KISS dolls!
LeonardSkinner
I prefer Strahovski but just for the sake of discussion, what about Jessica Biel? Mid 30s, established actress (though her star is waning a little bit), suitable body frame.
CGSC Lobotomy
If you see anyone younger than 30 wearing a gold leaf, you can almost guarantee it's an impostor. Same for anyone younger than 36 wearing a silver leaf or anyone younger than 42 wearing an eagle.
TexasAggie_02
AG
quote:
I prefer Strahovski but just for the sake of discussion, what about Jessica Biel? Mid 30s, established actress (though her star is waning a little bit), suitable body frame.
RDJ wasn't exactly that sought after before Iron Man. That movie remade him.
Sex Panther
AG
Biel is not a good actress and she's totally fallen off. Also I stood next to her once and she was shockingly short, although I guess that doesn't really matter.
CGSC Lobotomy
Here's a completely out of left field pick: Natasha Henstridge.
First Page Last Page
Page 13 of 793

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.