*** MARVEL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE *** [Staff message on OP]

3,510,722 Views | 27737 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by Brian Earl Spilner
MASAXET
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
I've thoroughly enjoyed maybe half of the Marvel movies, but have never been head over heals in love with the MCU as a whole. That said, this rundown has me more psyched than I've ever been. I think the coolest thing is how effectively this arc will extend the brand/MCU a bit further than we ever expected (with most of the main players, at least), and in a way that doesn't come across as cheap or desperate. This truly feels like the organic next step, and could make for some of the best drama/conflict we've seen yet...

What Is CIVIL WAR, And How Could It Work In The Marvel Cinematic Universe?

Also have to agree that the arc of the storylines is what has the MCU so exciting for me. The MCU has become a gripping TV series like True Detective, BB, Walking Dead, (insert show here). There is a common thread throughout that keeps you talking about the movies/shows in between, and salivating for the next one to drop. It's like Marvel has brought the formula for exciting TV dramas to the big screen, and amplified it dramatically
Red Five
AG
It's almost like they have practice writing multi-year story arcs across several franchises.
fig96
AG
Just wanted to give mad props to our very own jeffk:

quote:
Anyone else see phase three culminating with Civil War?

Seems like the increasing power of SHIELD coupled with Cap's reluctance at their new role leads right into that.

http://texags.com/forums/13/topics/2459451/replies/38931990
Bobcat06
AG
The funny thing is that following the destruction of Metropolis in Man of Steel, the main plot point in Batman vs Superman is going to be about finding a counterweight to Superman's powers (thus plotting Superman verse a team of billionaires Bruce Wayne and Lex Luther). It was originally scheduled to open the exact same weekend as Cap 3, but moved back a couple months after Cap 2 was box office smash.

As a result, they will now be following Cap 3 with essentially the exact same plot. Batman vs Superman will have two of the biggest named superheros, but lower caliber actors (Affleck & Cavil vs RDJ & Evans) and a copy cat plot.
jeffk
AG
Thanks for the credit, fig.

I'm excited to see what they decide to do with these next several films.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
As a result, they will now be following Cap 3 with essentially the exact same plot. Batman vs Superman will have two of the biggest named superheros, but lower caliber actors (Affleck & Cavil vs RDJ & Evans) and a copy cat plot.

Batman v Superman (March 25, 2016) actually hits theaters before Cap 3 (May 6, 2016).
MASAXET
AG
quote:
It's almost like they have practice writing multi-year story arcs across several franchises.

Crazy, isn't it?
jeffk
AG
http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/explaining-civil-war-how-iron-mans-going-to-show-up-in-captain-america-3-and-change-the-course-of-the-marvel-universe/
Quinn
AG
I saw that there are interesting rumors about Hulk in an article (maybe on Hitfix?), but didn't see the actual rumors.. is there any type of plan for his own movie? I'm assuming not, but I don't know whats interesting in his back story.
TCTTS
AG
^ The main rumor going is that he joins the Guardians in GOTG2 for some kind of a Planet Hulk hybrid movie, but who knows. Probably just wishful thinking.
Nonregdrummer09
AG
Now Ewan McGregor is being rumored for Dr. Strange. Not a big fan of that casting.
Bobcat06
AG
quote:
Now Ewan McGregor is being rumored for Dr. Strange. Not a big fan of that casting.
What's wrong with having a Jedi Knight as the Sorcerer Supreme, the primary protector of Earth against magical and mystical threats?
Nonregdrummer09
AG
I think Dr. Strange is kind of a hard character to get right in casting to be honest. I don't think he would be terrible, but maybe just not the perfect choice. So far, Marvel's casting has been pretty much perfect for each hero, just not sure if Ewan McGregor is the right choice.
redline248
AG
So Thanos is falling back to a 4th Avengers, now?
Nonregdrummer09
AG
I have to say, and I don't know if he would be totally right for it, but I'm kind of surprised Johnny Depp hasn't been considered yet, considering how tied into Disney he is now.
Nonregdrummer09
AG
quote:
So Thanos is falling back to a 4th Avengers, now?

That's what it's looking like. I think it's a way to build up to a super-cross-over film with the Guardians and anyone else Marvel brings out from now until then.

My question is what does Marvel do after Avengers 4? Do they just stop? Is there a re-boot at some point?
redline248
AG
Seems like a really long time to tease one villain.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
If Thanos gets pushed to avengers 4, I wonder if they would let him win one of the last movies leading up to it. Give us a dark Empire strikes back-type ending.

Though who knows, that might be how Avengers 2 or Capt. America 3 end.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
If Thanos gets pushed to avengers 4, I wonder if they would let him win one of the last movies leading up to it. Give us a dark Empire strikes back-type ending.

Though who knows, that might be how Avengers 2 or Capt. America 3 end.

I'm thinking he still shows up to an extent in Avengers 3, and essentially crushes the "B-team." The core team has to then reunite in Avengers 4 to defeat him.

That said, with Thanos finally on Earth in Avengers 3, I could see that causing some creative dilemmas for the phase four movies. Might be kind of hard to have an Ant-Man 2 or Doctor Strange 2 with a Thanos victory on Earth. Just another reason why the gap between Avengers 3 and 4 might be shorter. Either that, or they just save his arrival for A4 completely.

But yeah, regardless, I do agree that saving him all the way 'til A4 seems like way too long of a tease.
Sex Panther
AG
I feel pretty confident he'll be featured heavily in Guardians 2
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, for sure. Hopefully we'll get a pretty good dose of him in that movie. I was referring more to his climax with the Avengers.
Quinn
AG
When did Thanos first get mentioned, Thor uno?
Red Five
AG
IIRC the post credits scene of Avengers was the first time he appeared. He wasn't named in that, and I dont think he was mentioned by name prior to that.
Sex Panther
AG
I'd really dig Ewan McGregor as Dr. Strange. Again, I don't know anything about Dr. Strange other than what he looks like, but I like McGregor a lot and think he could pull off a superhero.
TexasAggie_02
AG
They should get Will Arnett.

'they're not tricks, they're illusions'
Nonregdrummer09
AG
quote:
When did Thanos first get mentioned, Thor uno?

They had the infinity gauntlet in the Thor, but you didn't see his face until The Avengers.
ChipFTAC01
AG
quote:
They should get Will Arnett.

'they're not tricks, they're illusions'

Tricks are what *****s do for money.
jeffk
AG
Or candy!
Nonregdrummer09
AG
Here's a full list of potentials

Oscar Isaac, Jake Gyllenhaal, Matthew McConaughey, and Ethan Hawke (besides Ewan McGregor). Out of those options I would go:

1. Oscar Isaac
2. Ewan McGregor
3. Ethan Hawke
4. Jake Gyllenhaal
5. McConaughey (not only because I just don't think he's right for the role, but because there's no way that's going to happen with Matthew about to do two big films for Warner Bros, as the article points out.)
Fat Bib Fortuna
My god, imagine Will Arnett as Dr. Strange and in his first big action scene they crank out "The Final Countdown".

TCTTS
AG
Oscar Isaac would be AWESOME.
Nonregdrummer09
AG
quote:
Oscar Isaac would be AWESOME.

I agree, I think he's the one choice so far with the range to do the role, and one who would be willing to sign the multi-film deals Marvel does.
TCTTS
AG
Dude could be starring in Star Wars in 2015, Doctor Strange in 2016, and then essentially be rotating between Star Wars and Marvel for the next few years after. Could you imagine?
Nonregdrummer09
AG
quote:
Dude could be starring in Star Wars in 2015, Doctor Strange in 2016, and then essentially be rotating between Star Wars and Marvel for the next few years after. Could you imagine?

Could be a huge launch for his career into major movie stardom.
Nonregdrummer09
AG
For those who don't know Oscar Isaac, check out this trailer and tell me you couldn't see him as Dr. Strange.

First Page Last Page
Page 3 of 793

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.