*** MARVEL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE *** [Staff message on OP]

3,516,991 Views | 27739 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by C@LAg
texasaggie04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I love the balance of the MCU. After Infinity War, we get Ant-Man & the Wasp. After Engame, we get Nick Fury saying "***** please, you've been to space."
AMW2010
AG
So if mysterio is really from another reality, would that mean that Rogers didn't put the stones back correctly? I also thing he is probably full of crap, if he did come from another "earth" then that leaves openings for people to come back ... I can't even say their names or y'all get y'all a pa ties in a wad.... the whole point of saying it all was to be able to open up conversation of it all... now I feel like Harry Potter and cant say The dark lords name without people running and crying! But based on that trailed I'm not a fan of having open portals to other realities , next thing you know we'll have a live action talking spider pig
Farmer1906
AG
Detective Pikachu is projecting 75M the first weekend. It just might knock off Endgame.
AliasMan02
AG
TexasAggie_02 said:

or what if mysterio is full of crap. isn't that his thing, lying, making illusions?

This is my guess, though the multiverse thing is obviously legit.
Farmer1906
AG
https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/972/607/589/

Petition to replace Larson with a gay woman of color. Who's in?
Bobcat06
AG
Can't be worse
FL_Ag1998
AG
Farmer1906 said:

https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/972/607/589/

Petition to replace Larson with a gay woman of color. Who's in?

Read the wording of that petition....about Larson proving her SJW credentials by stepping down...I'd be willing to bet this thing was started by someone on the far-right as a way to mock the left.

Plus, I love how when the population of the U.S. alone is 325 million, a petition signed by 9,000 people is supposed to mean anything.
rhutton125
AG
The Larson hate is really ridiculous. People act like she wrote the girl power scene, or it was her decision to give her character short hair (it's a look from the comics). They didn't want her to overshadow the Avengers, and yet when she has the least amount of screentime among the Snap survivors, they mock that she was useless to the overall film. People keep trying to start rumors that the cast hated her, no matter how many cast members come out and say "nope, she's great." A YouTube "body language expert" has a video "proving" that Brie is crazy, or something.

It's turning into Star Wars-esque toxicity. Go watch her interact with fans and tell me she's a raging SJW *****. She seems pretty down to earth to me. Just sprinkle in a little social commentary and everyone loses their minds all of a sudden.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Get Michelle Rodriguez in there. She checks all the boxes - Latina, of color, and gay. Plus, she actually has a personality and is much more believable as an ass-kicking chick.
wangus12
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Detective Pikachu is projecting 75M the first weekend. It just might knock off Endgame.
Its gonna be huge overseas
wangus12
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Get Michelle Rodriguez in there. She checks all the boxes - Latina, of color, and gay. Plus, she actually has a personality and is much more believable as an ass-kicking chick.
Nah dude. I refuse to be Letty & Dom aren't a thing in real life
redline248
AG
I honestly can't imagine caring enough to boycott/petition a particular actor/actress. Even to make fun of stuff. I'll come on the internet and voice my opinion about them, or whatever...but that's pretty much the extent of my caring.

Twitter jockeys are the scum of the internet.
swimmerbabe11
Okay first of all, I don't care about her personality. Or her haircut. I do hate that her character's signatures fight move seems to be barring through a spaceship without getting a headache.

What i dislike about her is that she plays the character in a very wooden and unemotional way...which just seems to be her style. I just watched "unicom store" on Netflix and it felt very similar..when she is playing a manic pixie artist who is shopping for a whole unicorn.

Beforehand that, I thought, maybe that's the character. But I think it is her acting.

Captain marvel is overpowered, ok, but her character itself is bothersome. She has all the arrogance of Thor and none of the humor. Self righteousness of Cap, no humility or heart. The rage of Hulk but not the intelligence. The damage of Black Widow but not the vulnerability. I don't understand what is driving her except...her need to be a badass?
jackie childs
swimmerbabe11 said:

Okay first of all, I don't care about her personality. Or her haircut. I do hate that her character's signatures fight move seems to be barring through a spaceship without getting a headache.

What i dislike about her is that she plays the character in a very wooden and unemotional way...which just seems to be her style. I just watched "unicom store" on Netflix and it felt very similar..when she is playing a manic pixie artist who is shopping for a whole unicorn.

Beforehand that, I thought, maybe that's the character. But I think it is her acting.

Captain marvel is overpowered, ok, but her character itself is bothersome. She has all the arrogance of Thor and none of the humor. Self righteousness of Cap, no humility or heart. The rage of Hulk but not the intelligence. The damage of Black Widow but not the vulnerability. I don't understand what is driving her except...her need to be a badass?
i think that's an entirely fair criticism of her performance and/or the character portrayal thus far.

but i also know that coming out of Phase 2, many people felt similarly about Thor. the character felt clumsy and Hemsworth seemed overmatched in every scene Thor had with Loki. but then marvel pivoted and opened him up and i think Thor was arguably the best character in Phase 3 and i certainly didn't know that Hemsworth had that in him.

so i'm hopeful they'll figure Captain Marvel out too.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I don't condone any of the crap that "fans" have dished out on the likes of the guy who portrayed Jar Jar Binks, or the gal who was Rose. Same with Larson. There is never a reason for a mob of people to drive a person to damn near taking his own life (the Jar Jar guy).

With Larson, she said something completely stupid with regard to who should be allowed to interview her for her movie, i.e. no white guys. That kind of statement is going to tick off some people. To put it in perspective, imagine if someone was to suggest that only white people should have been allowed to interview the cast of Black Panther. That would have generated such a sh****storm of publicity that it would never have ended (and probably would have ultimately landed at the feet of Trump).

Who does she think comprises the majority of her audience for a movie like Captain Marvel or Avengers Endgame?

Having said that, she's entitled to her opinion.
FL_Ag1998
AG
She also basically had amnesia for 90% of her solo movie, forgetting who she really was and where she came from, and was operating as simply a super soldier who was trained to control her emotions and just kick ass.

That explains away quite a bit of the complaints about her character traits in the one movie where we really get to see her. And the Capt Marvel character, from what little I know of her in the comics, is in fact a hard-ass, cocky soldier.

Now, if they don't start giving the audience some sort of way to connect with her in the forthcoming movies, then I'll be disappointed and shame on Marvel. But a big, BIG part of the dislike for her character in the Twittersphere is driven by people's interpretation of her real life stances, IMO.
rhutton125
AG
Valid points. I had hoped that she'd be fleshed out more in Endgame... but they actually filmed Endgame BEFORE Captain Marvel. So part of the reason she's barely in it is because they were having to write scenes for a character that hadn't had their origin story yet. It kind of paints them into a corner.

I didn't love Captain Marvel the movie, to be fair. I think it's towards the top of the bottom tier. It was also written by about 5 different people, so I'm not surprised it tries to stuff so much into it. It's the first origin film since Hulk where I haven't had a CLEAR understanding of what this character is all about, as a person.

So I definitely get all of those criticisms. I thought Brie was decent in CM, but yeah, in Endgame her role was "be powerful." I'm looking forward to more, in the hopes that her next film will have better writing/directing than her solo film did.

But I think the attacks you see on YouTube or wherever, trying to make her sound insane - that's just ridiculous. Boycotts and whatnot. She's definitely here to stay, and her solo film has made over a billion (a lot of that is the MCU/Endgame effect, obviously), so Disney will take all the boycotts people want to throw at it. But yeah - hopefully better writing for CM2. Making her a little more likeable across the board.
FL_Ag1998
AG
If I'm wrong and you can post an actual quote to show me, then by all means, yeah, that's a lame stance by her. But what I've read is that she isn't talking about "taking away chairs from the table" (i.e. white men) but simply adding chairs to make sure there is more diversity in the press junkets so that women and people of color have a chance to get in and ask questions as well.

Granted, I don't know how those things work. I'm assuming there is some sort of vetting of credentials in order to get in. Maybe there is indeed bias in who is allowed into those press junkets, conscience or subconscience, or maybe not, I don't know. But I'm pretty sure that she never said she hates white men, which is what her comments have been boiled down to by certain "media" outlets.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

That is actually a very solid way to explain it. Nicely done.
Sex Panther
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quote:

That is actually a very solid way to explain it. Nicely done.

It really is... sums it up pretty perfectly.
rhutton125
AG
Agreed. The amnesia plot in CM really hindered your ability to get to know the character. A few flashbacks don't do the job, IMO.

I don't know how you make a hard-ass, military beacon of female empowerment into a fun, likeable character (without accidentally making her into a Wonder Woman clone). But I think the writers tried to stuff too much into it too. I remember reading an article before the film came out, and they were saying how she's tough, hard-headed and powerful, but also human, and her humanity is what makes her strong. But she's also funny, but also not all of her jokes land, which is also human. She'll sing loud and terribly at a bar and then get in a fight and then be great friends with someone and then push herself to set new records and then and then and then.

Seems kind of hard to pull off when the first 2/3 of the film are "I am Kree, I fight Skrull" with a few flashes of childhood memories. They tried to avoid the typical origin story setup, but in doing so, they kind of bypassed any origin story character-building.

I think the writers dropped the ball on CM1, but hopefully she'll be better defined in her next appearance.
Ulrich
FL_Ag1998 said:

She also basically had amnesia for 90% of her solo movie, forgetting who she really was and where she came from, and was operating as simply a super soldier who was trained to control her emotions and just kick ass.

That explains away quite a bit of the complaints about her character traits in the one movie where we really get to see her. And the Capt Marvel character, from what little I know of her in the comics, is in fact a hard-ass, cocky soldier.

Now, if they don't start giving the audience some sort of way to connect with her in the forthcoming movies, then I'll be disappointed and shame on Marvel. But a big, BIG part of the dislike for her character in the Twittersphere is driven by people's interpretation of her real life stances, IMO.

You make it sound like they accurately portrayed a pretty unlikable character, which doesn't really invalidate people who say they don't like the character.
DVC2010
AG
I left Captain Marvel thinking they had horribly mid-cast the role. Then a friend invited me to go back the next week (let it never be said that I won't sacrifice for my friends), and I actually enjoyed the movie a lot more the second time. I decided that the acting was pretty good, but the character was written poorly. There's time to fix that. Though I have seen literally nothing else featuring Larson, so I could be wrong.

Then, in Endgame, she was more a plot device than a character (I'm allowed to say that here, right?). Having filmed Endgame before finishing Captain Marvel explains that, but it's hard not to call it a mistake in a movie that really nailed all he other details.

Captain Marvel was fun because of excellent supporting performances. Endgame was brilliant, even with supergirl head-butting alien flagships. We have had boring character introductions before. The MCU writers have gotten far more right than wrong. I'm optimistic for now.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Ulrich said:

FL_Ag1998 said:

You make it sound like they accurately portrayed a pretty unlikable character, which doesn't really invalidate people who say they don't like the character.

Correct, but this discussion (at least I thought) was started in a big part by people complaining about Larson's performance and her own personality. I'm simply saying, IMO, its not her, its the material.

For now at least. I do think they have a lot of ground to make up regarding Captain Marvel's character traits.
TexasAggie_02
AG
her appearances in Endgame felt contrived.

I really had hoped that Tony would save himself in space. he escaped the cave in IM1 with a box of scraps and his intelligence, I had hoped he would figure something out on the Benatar as well. Why couldn't he power the ship with his arc reactor?

then i felt like they tried to recreate Thor arriving in Wakanda, but it worked with Thor b/c he had a character arc and struggle throughout the movie, he earned that moment. Marvel was just MIA the whole movie and happened to show up out of the blue. Perhaps she was off world and saw that people were unsnapping, and high tailed it to Earth

The teamup of all the females was silly b/c Marvel is basically invincible, she didn't need their help. The scene would've worked great if Hope or Pepper were carrying the gauntlet there b/c they are perishable and need help. Would've been like the end of Independence Day, Ladies, Let's plow the road! then they all clear a lane to the van for Pepper/Hope. Then you have Thanos get a hold of Pepper/Hope, they don't have the strength to fight him off, so then Marvel comes in for hand to hand combat with him. He still pulls the power stone out of the gauntlet and blasts Marvel like before
TexasAggie_02
AG
ugh, so the strikethrough text breaks spoiler tags
jtstanley4621
AG
DVC2010 said:

I left Captain Marvel thinking they had horribly mid-cast the role. Then a friend invited me to go back the next week (let it never be said that I won't sacrifice for my friends), and I actually enjoyed the movie a lot more the second time. I decided that the acting was pretty good, but the character was written poorly. There's time to fix that. Though I have seen literally nothing else featuring Larson, so I could be wrong.

Then, in Endgame, she was more a plot device than a character (I'm allowed to say that here, right?). Having filmed Endgame before finishing Captain Marvel explains that, but it's hard not to call it a mistake in a movie that really nailed all he other details.

Captain Marvel was fun because of excellent supporting performances. Endgame was brilliant, even with supergirl head-butting alien flagships. We have had boring character introductions before. The MCU writers have gotten far more right than wrong. I'm optimistic for now.
Absolutely agree, especially with the bolded part. I would expect the second Captain Marvel movie to find its footing and for her to end up being a character that people enjoy. Hope it takes a similar arc to Thor.
DVC2010
AG
Honestly, my biggest fear right now is that I don't know how to make a character who catches missiles and throws them into space, crosses the expanse of the galaxy in mere moments, used herself as an unstoppable projectile, and apparently doesn't even need to breathe into something interesting and compelling.
DVC2010
AG
Also, if she can fly through a ship why couldn't she do the same thing to Thanos? Just fly into him really fast?
bearamedic99
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

Solid statement that I fully agree with. Too many haters point at the actress not the material. Her movie even had scenes with her laughing and joking with her friend Marie and with Fury.
rhutton125
AG
DVC2010 said:

Also, if she can fly through a ship why couldn't she do the same thing to Thanos? Just fly into him really fast?
Doesn't she do that in the first fight against Thanos? She smashes him into the ground and puts him into a choke-hold, essentially.

Personally, I thought CM's usage in Endgame was perfect. It let the Avengers shine, but it also showed that, even with an extremely powerful being - stronger than base-level Thanos, even - they were going to lose 14 million times. I guess even if she took the gauntlet into space, Thanos might have javelin'd her out of the sky, picked up the gauntlet and won. Something like that.

Even with someone as powerful as CM, it required a sacrifice in the end to win - the only way it could have gone down. At least, in theory.
Gigem314
AG
I don't mind Larson as Carol Danvers. She has the snark and sass...and given the 90's backdrop of the CM film, I thought it fit well...along with the tone of the music. I didn't mind that.

I just don't like Captain Marvel's character in general. She's so powerful, it's hard to know what to do with her. It's over the top.

What was great about Tony, Cap, and Thor was they all struggled. They were powerful in their own right, yes. But they had moments of struggle, setback, and moments where you weren't sure if they were going to make it. They showed grit.

With CM, the way she just mows through anything in her way...there's really never any question about whether she'll come through. Thanos tossing her around like a rag doll was the only time we've seen her really run into a challenge.

I get that the comic sets precedent for the character, so there might not be much they can do. But I think CM would be a lot more likeable if they made her less Superman-like and dialed in more humor.

They did it with Thor, and it completely reshaped the perception of his character.
swimmerbabe11
TexasAggie_02 said:

her appearances in Endgame felt contrived.

I really had hoped that Tony would save himself in space. he escaped the cave in IM1 with a box of scraps and his intelligence, I had hoped he would figure something out on the Benatar as well. Why couldn't he power the ship with his arc reactor?

then i felt like they tried to recreate Thor arriving in Wakanda, but it worked with Thor b/c he had a character arc and struggle throughout the movie, he earned that moment. Marvel was just MIA the whole movie and happened to show up out of the blue. Perhaps she was off world and saw that people were unsnapping, and high tailed it to Earth

The teamup of all the females was silly b/c Marvel is basically invincible, she didn't need their help. The scene would've worked great if Hope or Pepper were carrying the gauntlet there b/c they are perishable and need help. Would've been like the end of Independence Day, Ladies, Let's plow the road! then they all clear a lane to the van for Pepper/Hope. Then you have Thanos get a hold of Pepper/Hope, they don't have the strength to fight him off, so then Marvel comes in for hand to hand combat with him. He still pulls the power stone out of the gauntlet and blasts Marvel like before

So when Nebula put Tony in the chair and strapped him in, I totally thought she was about to sacrifice herself and plug herself into the ship to power it home somehow...and I was totally in on that. i thought it would have been a beautiful arc to her character. I wasn't super enthused about Marvel just showing up after all the drama of them being there and just whisking them home no big deal
FL_Ag1998
AG
Thor's dilemma throughout his movies, with the exception of one or two people (Hela and Thanos) hasn't been that he's weaker than them. His issues have been internal doubt and questioning. The storyline and struggle in a superhero movie can't simply boil down to...Can they beat up the bad guy in a fight? Boring. Can the bad guy beat them up? Interesting.

I don't care how powerful the character is - Superman, Captain Marvel - the movie is interesting because of the non-physical challenges they face. Internal struggles, sacrifice, coming to grips with their powers or their differences from everyone else, outwitting an intellectually superior opponent, etc.

To simply write her off because she's extremely powerful is to dismiss the potential that she could have under a good writer.
swimmerbabe11
bearamedic99 said:

Solid statement that I fully agree with. Too many haters point at the actress not the material. Her movie even had scenes with her laughing and joking with her friend Marie and with Fury.

The reason you put a kid in a movie like Captain Marvel isn't to have a cute kid or really to have that character right? It's to humanize the main character and to give them something to sacrifice/die for.. to up the stakes.

Let's compare.

In Endgame, we build a relationship with Stark's daughter Morgan, she's super cute and loveable, but never steals the show... she makes our heart break for Tony. The scene I really want to focus on is the hamburger scene with Happy. Morgan is cute and stuff, but it doesn't make us think OMG MORGAN YOU POOR BABY. It makes us watch Happy and our heart break for Happy. It humanizes him and makes you want to cry for him. The highlight is on Happy.

In Captain Marvel, Maria's daughter Monica is supposed to make Carol Danvers seem more likeable because she's not just a badass fighter, she also has a special relationship with Monica. However, I left every scene thinking Monica is super cute and kind of a tiny badass, I felt like her character was way more interesting emotionally than Carol. I never thought awww look at Captain Marvel connecting with the little girl.

I will grant, the age difference does play into this some, but I think that's a really good comparison on Jon Favreau's acting versus Brie Larson. To me, the writers gave opportunity to connect with Captain Marvel, I just couldn't seem to do it.
First Page Last Page
Page 386 of 793

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.