*** MARVEL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE *** [Staff message on OP]

3,335,908 Views | 27125 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by TCTTS
double aught
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That's gotta be at least 45 hours worth of films.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
TexasAggie_02
AG
maca1028 said:

Starting from the beginning with Iron Man today. Hoping to rewatch them all before next weekend.

Bruce Almighty
AG
I rewatched them all, but I started like 4 months ago.
Dr. Horrible
double aught said:

42 not counting Captain Marvel, at least according to the playlist I have...

I just finished my rewatch yesterday with another screening of CaptMarvel, so more power to you. But I wasn't that crazy to start the week before endgame came out, I started almost a month ago...
JAggie2007
AG
I'm on Doctor Strange right now, I also started last month.
Dr. Horrible
Something came up on my rewatch, and sorry if this has already been discussed.

So thanos had already killed half the population of a number of planets (like Gamora's) before he got all the stones. Were those planets exempt from the snap of did they get doublesnapped?
bearamedic99
AG
We don't truly know how widespread the snap is or its effects on other planets. Was it truly 50% universe wide or did some planets have more taken while others less?
Bruce Almighty
AG
It's 50% throughout the universe, though I can't remember if it's 50% for every planet, or if its just random.
Phat32
AG
Or if his own crew is halved?
maca1028
Dr. Horrible said:

double aught said:

42 not counting Captain Marvel, at least according to the playlist I have...

I just finished my rewatch yesterday with another screening of CaptMarvel, so more power to you. But I wasn't that crazy to start the week before endgame came out, I started almost a month ago...

I'll keep y'all updated.
Bobcat06
AG
Rewatching IW, Thor (who speaks Groot) introduces Cap to Groot by saying "This is a friend of mine, Tree"

So Groot's real name when translated from Groot to English is Tree.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
TexasAggie_02
AG
Bobcat06 said:

Rewatching IW, Thor (who speaks Groot) introduces Cap to Groot by saying "This is a friend of mine, Tree"

He also calls rocket, "rabbit"
Bobcat06
AG
In The Avengers, Thor asks Coulson about bilgsnipes and is surprised to learn they don't exist on Earth. He's clearly ignorant of Earth's fauna and could therefore easily confuse rabbits and raccoons.

However, Thor is fluent in Groot since he took it as an elective in Asgard. Being fluent, he would know the Groot word for tree and realize that is Groot's real name.
AverageJones
AG
TexasAggie_02 said:

Bobcat06 said:

He also calls rocket, "rabbit"

"Sweet Rabbit"
Azariah
AG
I've been rewatching the entire thing, and some of this is just terrible. Not necessarily unbelievable, but just lunacy.

• In Thor, the Dark World they couldn't come up with a better weapon in 5000 years?
  • Is having a one-on-one fistfight really the best system of selecting a king? That's asinine. I can't think of a worse method.
FTACof2011
AG
Azariah said:

I've been rewatching the entire thing, and some of this is just terrible. Not necessarily unbelievable, but just lunacy.

• In Thor, the Dark World they couldn't come up with a better weapon in 5000 years?
  • Is having a one-on-one fistfight really the best system of selecting a king? That's asinine. I can't think of a worse method.

The Collective
AG
I've been doing a rewatch of most of the Marvel movies, though I'll admit that I skipped by a few of them. My appreciation for Thor Ragnarok has grown even more. What a fun movie.
TexasAggie_02
AG
https://www.reddit.com/r/marvelstudios/comments/bfmb0t/if_infinity_war_was_a_reality_show/

TexasAggie_02
AG
fig96
AG
CJS4715 said:

I've been doing a rewatch of most of the Marvel movies, though I'll admit that I skipped by a few of them. My appreciation for Thor Ragnarok has grown even more. What a fun movie.
It's just so stupidly fun.

It's also interesting, rewatching the older films, to see how they started to try making Thor a bit more of the comic relief in small ways leading up into Ragnarok. He's got some great lines in the Avengers ("He's adopted") and Age of Ultron ("...tales of sprained deltoids and...gout").
TCTTS
AG

Thread...
MooreTrucker
AG
TCTTS said:

I remember seeing that Iron Man end credits scene with Fury and absolutely losing my *****
JAggie2007
AG
Were you the guy by himself in my theater screaming at everyone "Do you know what this means?!?!?!?! It opens up the whole Marvel universe!"
fig96
AG
MooreTrucker said:

TCTTS said:

I remember seeing that Iron Man end credits scene with Fury and absolutely losing my *****
I rewatched Iron Man for the first time in a while last night...and that ending is still so damn cool.
MooreTrucker
AG
JAggie2007 said:

Were you the guy by himself in my theater screaming at everyone "Do you know what this means?!?!?!?! It opens up the whole Marvel universe!"
No, but I did say "Holy *****!" in a very loud whisper.
TCTTS
AG
I can't remember... in May 2008, just before Iron Man hit theaters, did we know Marvel was planning a cinematic universe? I guess a more specific question would be - was the Nick Fury end-credit scene a surprise because we didn't yet know they were planning the MCU, or was Nick Fury himself the surprise, but going into Iron Man, we at least already knew they were going to attempt some kind of MCU?

I remember The Incredible Hulk released a month later in June - so did we already know that was going to connect, or no? I know the Stark cameo in the credits was a pretty big surprise, but I can't remember when, exactly, it was that we knew Marvel was going to attempt to connect all their movies.

It's also worth noting that Disney didn't buy Marvel until the following summer - summer 2009 - and that Iron Man was a Paramount movie and The Incredible Hulk was a Universal movie. So before Disney, was the plan to somehow connect Marvel movies across various studios? Either way, the Disney acquisition didn't happen until a year later, and then Iron Man 2 - in 2010 - was the first Marvel movie that truly felt it was trying to set up a universe. Then Thor and Captain America finally hit a year after that, in 2011.

I'm just trying to remember the exact chain of events and what we knew when. Basically, I can't remember if I went into Iron Man thinking, "Oh, this looks like a fun stand-alone movie" - or - "Oh, it'll be cool to see how this potentially kicks off a bunch of Marvel movies down the line."
TCTTS
AG
Also of note, The Dark Knight released two months after Iron Man, became a pop culture phenomenon, and pretty much all Marvel talk faded away for a while, which is probably another reason I'm having trouble remembering the details.
double aught
AG
I think Iron Man was mostly considered to be a stand alone by the public, an attempt by Marvel to make something out of one of the few properties it hadn't sold off. Most people at the time couldn't even tell you who was in the Avengers.

Some at the time were making a big deal out of a brief freeze frame in Stark's shop where you could possibly make out something that kind of looked a little like Cap's shield. I blew it off, thinking people were seeing something that wasn't there. Guess I was wrong.
CowtownAg06
AG
I'm not a comic book fan so I remember thinking, what's the big deal? Even after the hammer scene in IM2, I thought that I really don't care about Thor. It wasn't until the first Avengers that that I got the vision and went all in on the MCU.
AgfromHOU
AG
I didn't even realize it was one big story until Civil War. I just thought they were in their own standalone stuff and had some crossovers.

I also remember thinking the closing scene of Iron Man was badass. RDJ became my favorite actor at that point, and still is
MooreTrucker
AG
Yeah, I don't rememeber thinking much about the overall nuts and bolts of it, but when Fury said "Avengers" I went bonkers.
wangus12
AG
I think it was after Incredible Hulk with Stark showing up in the end credits. Iron Man was the only one I didn't see in theaters when it came out, but A&M had a showing in the Rudder theater of it later that fall.
Bobcat06
AG
In 2006 & 2007, the big superhero movies were X-Men 3, Superman Returns, Spiderman 3 & Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer. That's a lot of lame superhero movies and those were the big budget ones (i.e not Ghost Rider or Elektra)

Yes, Batman Begins had been awesome and everyone was stoked for The Dark Knight, but the general consensus was that the genre had run their course and any superhero movie not directed by Christopher Nolan would be average at best.

One of my friends mocked the idea of watch another Hulk movie by saying "Why would I want to see that? All Hulk does is get mad and break things. That's not a superpower; I do that all the time!"

I remember being surprised not that Iron Man was awesome, but that it was good. A movie about a lesser known superhero (compared to Batman, Spiderman, Superman or Wolverine) that starred an actor with a drug problem seemed like a recipe for disaster. A lot of people thought the movie would suck, then it came out and shocked everyone.

The idea of a cinematic universe was not on anyone's mind at all.

First Page Last Page
Page 378 of 776

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.