*** MARVEL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE *** [Staff message on OP]

3,519,378 Views | 27742 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by The Porkchop Express
wangus12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Farmer1906
AG
TajMaballer said:

Yeah I don't think even Marvel could pull an out of nowhere release. The marketing has been a main reason why movies like Doctor Strange and Ant-Man do as well as they do.

Hell, a third Thor movie was one of the highest grossing movies last year. The first two Thor movies are widely regarded as bottom of the barrel Marvel movies (I really like them, but know I'm in the minority). But the marketing for Ragnarok pushed it over the edge.
I think the fact is was a better, funnier, and more entertaining movie did it, not some magical marketing.
Sex Panther
AG
Farmer1906 said:

TajMaballer said:

Yeah I don't think even Marvel could pull an out of nowhere release. The marketing has been a main reason why movies like Doctor Strange and Ant-Man do as well as they do.

Hell, a third Thor movie was one of the highest grossing movies last year. The first two Thor movies are widely regarded as bottom of the barrel Marvel movies (I really like them, but know I'm in the minority). But the marketing for Ragnarok pushed it over the edge.
I think the fact is was a better, funnier, and more entertaining movie did it, not some magical marketing.

That's true, but the marketing for it was brilliant and effectively showcased the new direction for Thor. People were really intrigued. The movie followed suit and backed it up, and what you got was a great movie that made a **** ton of money.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yep. I gave ZERO ****s about Thor 3 until the trailer(s).

That first one with Zeppelin was a stroke of genius.
mazag08
AG
I almost didn't go see it because of the exposing of the plot. The movie just didn't have anything saved that wasn't in the trailers.
FTACO97
AG
Random Marvel thoughts this morning...

Soul Stone - just watched Ragnarok again the other night. I still think it's Heimdall...he's the only Marvel character who has shown any power with souls/people. He's able to see and communicate with people across the universe. He even brought Thor to Asgard in a spirit telepresence call to show him what was going on.

ISIS = 10 rings -- Watched Iron Man last night to kick off my pre-Infinity War marathon. That 10 rings organization was essentially ISIS before we really knew anything about them. A well armed middle eastern terrorist organization made up of people from multiple nationalities. This movie still holds up 10 years later. So cool to watch Tony start up Iron Man.
TexasAggie_02
AG
Quote:

Soul Stone - just watched Ragnarok again the other night. I still think it's Heimdall...he's the only Marvel character who has shown any power with souls/people. He's able to see and communicate with people across the universe. He even brought Thor to Asgard in a spirit telepresence call to show him what was going on.
I agree that Heimdall should have it, and that may have been the plan originally, but now I'm thinking that either he doesn't have it, or he does and manages to escape Thanos initially. We see in the trailers and screen caps that Thanos has the Tesseract and the Power Stone (Nova Corps) already. If Heimdall has the soul stone, then it is currently with Thor, Loki, and the Tesseract. How does Thanos get the Tesseract, but not the Soul Stone?
Cromagnum
AG
TexasAggie_02 said:

Quote:

I agree that Heimdall should have it, and that may have been the plan originally, but now I'm thinking that either he doesn't have it, or he does and manages to escape Thanos initially. We see in the trailers and screen caps that Thanos has the Tesseract and the Power Stone (Nova Corps) already. If Heimdall has the soul stone, then it is currently with Thor, Loki, and the Tesseract. How does Thanos get the Tesseract, but not the Soul Stone?

Didn't recognize it? Maybe he needs the mind gem first?
TexasAggie_02
AG
Cromagnum said:

TexasAggie_02 said:

Quote:

Didn't recognize it? Maybe he needs the mind gem first?
another thought. Does Heimdall absolutely need the bifrost to teleport, or just the sword?
TCTTS
AG
Pretty good analysis here and Patty Jenkins' version does, indeed, sound better. Also, I forgot about that whole Rainbow Bridge inconsistency thing, which bugged me...

jr15aggie
AG
Sex Panther said:

Farmer1906 said:

TajMaballer said:

That's true, but the marketing for it was brilliant and effectively showcased the new direction for Thor. People were really intrigued. The movie followed suit and backed it up, and what you got was a great movie that made a **** ton of money.
It definitely worked on me. Thor was always one of the marvel movies I just rented. Ragnarok looked awesome and appealed to my love of the 80's with it's music & techno vibe (marketing). Was the first Thor movie I saw at the theater and the first one I now own. Good stuff!

Kearney McRaven
I'm still in the camp believing that the Sovereign has the Soul Stone, and that it is directly linked to the creation of Adam Warlock. They were are major part of Ragnarok based primarily due to the their batteries. They never provided an explanation why the Sovereign has been able to manufacture such power batteries or the source of their power. It is also worthy of note how they are constantly subject to attempted theft due to their vast power. Add to the fact that they create beings by altering DNA. Somehow, the Soul Stone fits into this story line. At the end of Ragnarok, they are the primary concern with EGO being gone, and will certainly play a part in the future movies to come. Rarely has any character been introduced without a pivotal reason in the future story line.
Brick Tamland
RDJ on Chris Evans

Quote:

"All I know is that there's something about being on camera with [Chris] Evans. I hate to say it, but I don't know what I'm gonna do when he's not Cap anymore. I look at him and think this is the truest, most down moral psychology I've ever seen and then they go, 'Cut!' and Chris is like, 'Hey buddy, I gotta get out of here.' I'm like, 'You wanna go to dinner?' 'Nope.' 'Okay! Love you! Love you, Cap! I mean, Chris!'"
AgMarauder04
AG
Brick Tamland said:

RDJ on Chris Evans

Quote:

"All I know is that there's something about being on camera with [Chris] Evans. I hate to say it, but I don't know what I'm gonna do when he's not Cap anymore. I look at him and think this is the truest, most down moral psychology I've ever seen and then they go, 'Cut!' and Chris is like, 'Hey buddy, I gotta get out of here.' I'm like, 'You wanna go to dinner?' 'Nope.' 'Okay! Love you! Love you, Cap! I mean, Chris!'"

I don't know what I'm gonna do when he's not Cap anymore either.
jackie childs
AgMarauder04 said:

Brick Tamland said:

RDJ on Chris Evans

Quote:

I don't know what I'm gonna do when he's not Cap anymore either.
hasn't that already happened?
Brick Tamland
Not according to set pics for Avengers 4
AgMarauder04
AG
Brick Tamland said:

Not according to set pics for Avengers 4
I want to say his contract originally expired for Avengers 3 but signed an extension for 4.
Farmer1906
AG

That shield doesn't belong to you
SeattleAgJr
#IronManWasRight
#ScrewCap
Brick Tamland
#TeamStark

Iron Man was actually my favorite Marvel character growing up, and the only one I even knew about other than Spider-Man and Hulk. I have an action figure of 1990s Iron Man somewhere at my grandmother's house.
Farmer1906
AG
For me, it was always X-Men > Avengers in the 90s. The only way to paid any attention to the Avengers was their Captain America arcade game.

But even then the X-Men game was better.

Bruce Almighty
AG
X-Men is what got me into comics in the 90s, but eventually I started reading more Avengers stuff. I don't read any X-Men stuff anymore.
Sex Panther
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I always liked that this was essentially the same game as Ninja Turtles and The Simpsons... and they were all dope
Farmer1906
AG
Sex Panther said:

Farmer1906 said:

I always liked that this was essentially the same game as Ninja Turtles and The Simpsons... and they were all dope
Turtles was my game. Simpsons was up there too.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
SeattleAgJr said:

#IronManWasWrong
#ScrewBlackWidow
FIFY
jtstanley4621
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

X-Men is what got me into comics in the 90s, but eventually I started reading more Avengers stuff. I don't read any X-Men stuff anymore.
I was a kid in the 90s, and X-Men was the top Marvel comic by far for me. I think I read an Avengers comic or two, but it was usually X-Men all the way.
boy09
AG
TCTTS said:

Pretty good analysis here and Patty Jenkins' version does, indeed, sound better. Also, I forgot about that whole Rainbow Bridge inconsistency thing, which bugged me...

Trying to finally get caught up on all the Marvel movies, sounds like Thor: The Dark World might be safe to skip..

Plan on watching Ant Man sometime this week and I still need to see Black Panther. Haven't seen Thor: The Dark World or The Incredible Hulk, and I really have no desire to watch either of them. After that I'll finally be caught up.
gougler08
AG
Only reason to see Thor: Dark World would be to remind yourself of the aether (as it's an infinity stone). Outside of that, yeah probably ok to skip
Kearney McRaven
gougler08 said:

Only reason to see Thor: Dark World would be to remind yourself of the aether (as it's an infinity stone). Outside of that, yeah probably ok to skip
Unless of course you are interested in the dynamics between Thor and Loki, and how it relates to the Avengers and the Infinity War. I would agree that I thought it was a poor movie after my first viewing, but I watched again after Ragnarok. The 2nd time it was much more interesting. All these movie are interlocked and build off of each other, and that is what is making the later movies so much better. You develop a deeper understanding of character relationships and past histories, and many comments and jabs become more relevant.
jeffk
AG
SeattleAgJr said:

#IronManWasRight
#ScrewCap

They definitely *******ized the Civil War plot lines from comic to film adaptation. In the comics, it was easy to pick #TeamCap, but in the films, Cap's motivation comes across as pretty shallow and short-sighted.
TCTTS
AG
redline248
AG
jeffk said:

SeattleAgJr said:

#IronManWasRight
#ScrewCap

They definitely *******ized the Civil War plot lines from comic to film adaptation. In the comics, it was easy to pick #TeamCap, but in the films, Cap's motivation comes across as pretty shallow and short-sighted.

Uh, what? Cap just got done taking down a government agency infiltrated by HYDRA whose sole intent was to completely strip freedom from the populace. You think him not trusting another government agency to oversee the Avengers was selfish?
SeattleAgJr
yes, after the lengths he went to for "muh friend"
Farmer1906
AG
I recently watched Thor 2. It is worth seeing so you'll understand the beginning of Thor 3 and get introduced to "Reality Stone".
Farmer1906
AG
jeffk said:

SeattleAgJr said:

#IronManWasRight
#ScrewCap

I think they wanted it to be a real choice. There wasn't supposed to be a good and bad side.
First Page Last Page
Page 235 of 793

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.