The Incredibles 2

14,273 Views | 126 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by rynning
rynning
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Lots of kids took their dads to Incredibles 2 for Fathers Day.
c-jags
rynning said:

i was one of those dads.

we liked it a lot.

one complaint, and it's stupid on my part... but when did Pixar start cussing in their movies?

my kids have seen all marvel movies (i only really regret them seeing GotGv2 and IM from a language standpoint) so i'm good with it, but people that are taking younger kids that make assumptions about Pixar are going to be a bit shocked i'm sure.
agracer
AG
Saw it and liked it as well. Not quite as good as the 1st but well done.

My only complaint is all these new super's and where did they get their costumes from? It's been illegal for years to be a super but these folks are running around and have costumes and everything?

Question for those who did not like the short. Do you have children who have left the house yet? Because I do and both the wife and I had something in our eyes when it was over.
20ag07
Quote:

Jesus, $180M opening weekend. Somehow it outgrossed Finding Dory by $45M. (And Nemo was significantly more successful than The Incredibles.)
This one skews older than Nemo/Dory. I'd venture to say there were more adults with no kids than adults with kids in my early afternoon showing on a Saturday.

Initial numbers looks like it should clear $500m. Wouldn't have expected for it to outgross the live action Beauty and the Beast, unless it's just the summer release factor.
TXTransplant
Saw this yesterday with my son. I absolutely loved the first movie and have been waiting for the sequel ever since I saw the last scene in it for the first time. In the meantime, I have grown to really appreciate Brad Bird as a director (I even liked Tomorrowland).

The scene that stood out for me in this movie was the one where Elastigirl is in the apartment. It totally creeped me out (that mask very much had a "Silence of the Lambs" vibe) and the special effects in that fight sequence were amazing.

Overall, I loved the movie, the premise, and the further character development of The Incredibles as a family unit. I thought it was pretty easy to pick out who the real villain was early on, but that didn't bother me because the story and all of its details were so well done.

There were a couple of things that caught my attention: 1) During the monorail scene, I couldn't help but think "Elastigirl should be wearing a helmet!" (I know, I know, she's a super and doesn't need a helmet...), and 2) An electric bike shouldn't explode like that - and then my son reminded me that batteries can explode.

And just so I don't ruin anything for those who haven't seen it...

Was anyone else hoping that Jack Jack would use his 4th dimension superpower to help save the day in one of the final scenes and a little disappointed that he didn't?
Bruce Almighty
AG
Superhero movies are hot right now. When the first Incredibles movie was made, we were still four years away from the MCU.
SeattleAgJr
Bruce Almighty said:

DISNEY/MARVEL Superhero movies are hot right now.
FIFY
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=wonderwoman.htm
SeattleAgJr
Brian Earl Spilner said:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=wonderwoman.htm
congrats on finding the one exception.
MSFC Aggie
AG
agracer said:

Saw it and liked it as well. Not quite as good as the 1st but well done.

My only complaint is all these new super's and where did they get their costumes from? It's been illegal for years to be a super but these folks are running around and have costumes and everything?

Question for those who did not like the short. Do you have children who have left the house yet? Because I do and both the wife and I had something in our eyes when it was over.
The wife was crying just in anticipation of that day. I was expecting a happy ending, or I would have teared up too.
Bruce Almighty
AG
SeattleAgJr said:

Bruce Almighty said:

FIFY

Are you the guy at the party that goes around constantly correcting people? Nobody likes that guy.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
More like Justice League is the one exception.

Superhero movies are huge right now.
DTP02
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

SeattleAgJr said:

Bruce Almighty said:

FIFY

Are you the guy at the party that goes around constantly correcting people? Nobody likes that guy.

Some people do like that guy.
SeattleAgJr
Bruce Almighty said:

SeattleAgJr said:

Bruce Almighty said:

FIFY

Not all superhero movies are "hot" right now.

JL, MoS, BvS - none of these are widely loved, and none of these set the box office on fire. Yes, they "made money" but not much vs Marvel/Disney superhero movies.
Yes WW made money, and a lot of it. but it is the exception to the rule.

Hell, even the Fox Marvel X-men movies have seen diminishing returns, barely making their money back, and no one really considers either of the last two X-men movies to be better than "meh". At least the recent solo ones have done well (Deadpool and Wolverine). And these are still "Marvel" movies.

So my comment stands.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Seems like you just want everyone to know that Marvel movies are making the most.

We all know that.
SeattleAgJr
No. I am saying the DC movies are not "hot".

And if the word on the street is right, Aquaman will be another disappointment.

Wonder Woman is, the rest, not so much.

Anyway, I will quit this line of discussion so the thread gets back to Incredibles.
Pro Ag
AG
agracer said:

I do, Toy Story 3 and Andy leaving for college was really tough for me. Maybe if the mom didn't eat the thing part of the way through it would have been better, I still don't think I would have liked it though.
Swarely
Did anyone else get a major lesbian vibe from Evelyn to elastigirl? Not that there's anything wrong with that (other than she's married).

Also, Evelyn Deavor? It was so blatantly obvious that I was actually waiting for a scooby doo red herring thing to happen.
Swarely
agracer said:

I don't have any kids and I thought it was terrible.
policywonk98
AG
Just when I think there is nothing else Pixar can do to impress me with their style and animation.

The movie was insanely beautiful on both fronts. They continue to be the gold standard with others in very distant second place.

Parts of the story we're only ok. Parts were really cool. Much darker than the first one. That will likely make more money for them as it will continue to draw older. But the first one still stands the test of time for maintaining interest for 5-43 year olds even 14 years later. I would be reluctant to suggest this movie to anyone below 8 and issue a caution to anyone taking below 10.
ashleyschaeffer
Loved the movie. Enjoyed Frozones expanded role.

Elastigirl was very well drawn.
I will help the helpless, but I don't care about the clueless.
AgMarauder04
AG
The animation....like Bob's wrinkled shirt was just incredible.
atm0812
AG
c-jags said:

rynning said:

i was one of those dads.

we liked it a lot.

one complaint, and it's stupid on my part... but when did Pixar start cussing in their movies?

my kids have seen all marvel movies (i only really regret them seeing GotGv2 and IM from a language standpoint) so i'm good with it, but people that are taking younger kids that make assumptions about Pixar are going to be a bit shocked i'm sure.

I took my 3 year old, and don't remember thinking anything about them cussing. What did they say? Or do we have different definitions of cursing?
PermianBasinAggie
AG
atm0812 said:

c-jags said:

rynning said:

i was one of those dads.

we liked it a lot.

I took my 3 year old, and don't remember thinking anything about them cussing. What did they say? Or do we have different definitions of cursing?

Evelyn said a couple of things. One about how her brother would market the hell out of something. And the other was when she was watching elastigirl in action and said "I'll be damned". Both mild swears, but they caught me off guard. Still a great movie though.
BCG Disciple
AG
Took my 9 and 6 year old. Was hilarious. The raccoon fight scenes struck a chord with my 9 year old. It reminded me of the Peter griffin chicken fight scene.
Ags-R-Better
I'll take the dissenting opinion on this one...I usually really enjoy most new Disney movies but this fell pretty flat to me. My 3 kids felt the same...best parts were on the commercials and it was pretty bad for most of the rest of it. Yes, baby Jack was great and we like Frozone, but I found myself nodding off through several parts...

Overall, big bowl of meh.
Brock Sampson
AG
Very funny movie. The cuss words and saying "oh my God" weren't necessary imo. Was surprised by the light cussing but it was still a good movie.
Breggy Popup
AG
PermianBasinAggie said:

atm0812 said:

c-jags said:

rynning said:

i was one of those dads.

we liked it a lot.

Evelyn said a couple of things. One about how her brother would market the hell out of something. And the other was when she was watching elastigirl in action and said "I'll be damned". Both mild swears, but they caught me off guard. Still a great movie though.

There was a "crap" in there somewhere as well. My 8 and 6 year olds have been attuned to "bad words" lately and picked up every one of them which is always a funny thing.
M.C. Swag
AG
Thought the movie was fine, but there's no way THIS story is the one that took 14 years to write. I loved The Incredibles 1 but i thought this sequel was pretty vanilla. It was simply safe. It didn't do anything poorly, it just wasn't memorable. Jack Jack fighting the Racoon was objectively great, but the thing I was kinda looking for that we didn't get was some emotional payoff of some sorts. I didn't quite get that. I'd give it a 7/10. Good, not great.
aggiechick
My 11 year old also picked up on every cuss word and it was the first thing she commented on when we left the theater. Not sure it was necessary for a kids movie.
Swarely
They moved the release date up a year, causing production to scramble.
jeffk
AG
The first Incredibles sort of pushed the envelope of what was acceptable for a Pixar movie too - large portions of the plot revolved around the possibility of Mr. Incredible having an affair with the blond chick and of course there was Syndrome's great "GOT IT ON!" line that I'm sure every six year old parroted for weeks after seeing it.
SeattleAgJr
M.C. Swag said:

Thought the movie was fine, but there's no way THIS story is the one that took 14 years to write. I loved The Incredibles 1 but i thought this sequel was pretty vanilla. It was simply safe. It didn't do anything poorly, it just wasn't memorable. Jack Jack fighting the Racoon was objectively great, but the thing I was kinda looking for that we didn't get was some emotional payoff of some sorts. I didn't quite get that. I'd give it a 7/10. Good, not great.
it did not take 14 years to write.

he only worked on it the last 3 (typical anim movie cycle)
M.C. Swag
AG
SeattleAgJr said:

M.C. Swag said:

it did not take 14 years to write.

he only worked on it the last 3 (typical anim movie cycle)
haha i understand it physically didn't take that long, but I remember hearing Braid Bird in an interview saying it took him 14 years to come up with a story that would do justice to the original (or something along those lines). Also, not sure if anyone else had the pre-screening 'Ad' for Incredibles 2 were the voice actors came on screen and were just saying 'it's worth the wait.' I was just making the point that this follow up was pretty bland/vanilla from a creativity perspective.
rynning
AG
I'll add another dissenting view that 2 wasn't as good as 1, including both the story and the animation. It was still very fun and enjoyable.

I also think Holly Hunter's voice has gone downhill to the point where she should have re-done some of her lines, but maybe that's just me.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.