Star Wars Discussion Thread

6,484,215 Views | 45196 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Definitely Not A Cop
The Collective
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Man, I forgot the crawl was that bad... ****

Do you think the mysterious broadcast was just a replay of his Senate speech after getting electrocuted?
fig96
AG
BRB gonna go watch Andor again.

(This is a really interesting watch.)

Decay
AG
The silly ALL CAPS words. Reminds me of Steven A Smith or something
oragator
YouBet
AG
Aggie_Journalist said:

Imagine a world where only the original trilogy remains canon and everything else is tossed

You could give us a new prequel and sequel trilogy that actually kick butt

And take another swing at all the other content that fills in the cracks

A remade prequel trilogy with a new story about how a Republic fell into empire should be brilliant grounds for compelling storytelling.

And a remade sequel trilogy about trying to rebuild a fractured galaxy after a revolution could also be good stuff. (Or, frankly, just swallow your pride and admit Zahn nailed it in the Thrawn trilogy, then give us that)

Maybe after George Lucas eventually dies. Hard to retcon his stuff while he's alive, but it's also increasingly hard to salvage the mess they are making of this far far away galaxy that captured our imaginations long long ago.

There was no sequel trilogy. Thus, there is nothing to remake.
maroon barchetta
Terri Nunn, the singer for Berlin?
BenTheGoodAg
AG
maroon barchetta

TCTTS
AG
TCTTS said:

From last night's Puck newsletter...

Quote:

Pixar has its biggest movie ever with Inside Out 2. Marvel's Deadpool & Wolverine is tracking to open next weekend to about $175 million domestica new benchmark for an R-rated film. Disney Animation has Moana 2 in November, and the Disney TV group is about to clean up at Wednesday's Emmy nominations. It's not a full recovery, but this summer, Disney C.E.O. Bob Iger is largely delivering on his pledge to fix creative issues at his content engines.

Then there's Lucasfilm, which, on the film side, is still reeling from last summer's $350 million Indiana Jones debacle and is two years away from a Star Wars follow-up to 2019's high-grossing yet creatively disastrous The Rise of Skywalker. Until The Mandalorian & Grogu hits in 2026, Kathy Kennedy has essentially turned Star Wars into a TV-only franchise. Luminate, however, just released some troubling data on The Acolyte, the Disney+ series from Leslye Headland that concludes tomorrow night. The show debuted decently, but cratered 22 percent the following week and kept falling, recovering only slightly in episode six. Disney will probably spin this with internal metrics, but the issue isn't new: Star Wars shows other than The Mandalorian tend to debut strong and then fade unless a fan favorite character or actor like Hayden Christensen appears. In other words, with the possible exception of Tony Gilroy's smart but little-watched Andor, Kennedy has failed to evolve Star Wars from a pure nostalgia play into a vibrant, relevant franchise. "It's still unclear if another Star Wars series can capture the dedicated and broad audience of The Mandalorian," Luminate's Jimmy Doyle writes in the study. "Despite the data, we might be wise to remember the words of Han Solo: 'Never tell me the odds.'"

An informative, half-hour episode follow-up...

Definitely Not A Cop
AG
https://instagr.am/p/C8MqaZJOhYM
oragator
I've said it a bunch of times.
Expand the universe creatively or watch it die on Disney's watch. They are ruining it one overly simplistic marketing check box at a time. I get that their goal is to make money and not art, but without the latter the former will be gone soon, they are running out of mulligans from even the most die hard fans.
oragator
YouBet
AG
oragator said:

Another bone headed move.
CapCityAg89
AG
So was it Lucas' wife we've been missing? Did she do anything aside from the OT?
Dekker_Lentz
AG
CapCityAg89 said:

So was it Lucas' wife we've been missing? Did she do anything aside from the OT?

I think it is Gary Kurtz that is missing. Or at least someone to remind the creatives to take the story seriously and to make it relatable to the fans. The grounded voice.

https://www.inverse.com/article/49266-star-wars-gary-kurtz-death

I think it is part of the reason Gilroy's Andor and Rogue One have done better than everything else. Story comes first and he doesn't have the blind love for Star Wars and adding to the "mythos".
TCTTS
AG
This remains the best, most exciting stable of directors for any single Disney+ Star Wars series yet...

TCTTS
AG
redline248
AG
I'm getting a Goonies vibe
TCTTS
AG
100%
fig96
AG
You just know The Daniels are hardcore Star Wars geeks…
YouBet
AG
If it's made in the spirit of the Goonies then I'm in.
jokershady
AG
TCTTS said:

This remains the best, most exciting stable of directors for any single Disney+ Star Wars series yet...

wait what? I thought this show was supposed to debut in October….

Shouldn't all the shooting for these episodes be done by now?
TCTTS
AG
It's been TBA until a December premiere was announced a few weeks ago. Also, Agatha All Along premieres in September, and Disney+ doesn't like to overlap Marvel and Star Wars shows, so Skeleton Crew will follow that. That, I'm sure they want to capitalize on the holiday season with a big, Goonies/Amblin-type kids series.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Skeleton Crew is coming in December? I missed that bit of info.
vmiaptetr
AG
Anyone know where I can watch the OG IV, V and VI episodes? I was telling my son about how much they have changed over the years, and he wants to see the originals.
redline248
AG
THX version vhs, or laser disc (lol)

Might be clips on YouTube, but I don't know about full movie
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Just show them The Hidden Fortress and say, "Can you believe the original was set in Japan?!"
Thanks and gig'em
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
vmiaptetr said:

Anyone know where I can watch the OG IV, V and VI episodes? I was telling my son about how much they have changed over the years, and he wants to see the originals.
As noted above, you'll need either a VHS player or a laser disc player to get to those.

Disney could make some good $$$$ if they'd release the original, unaltered versions, but I'm not sure Lucas sold those rights to Disney.
The Collective
AG
I went through the trouble of downloading the despecialized trilogy several years back. Crazy how much I had forgotten. Look it up online if interested.
double aught
AG
There were DVD versions of the original, unedited trilogy released maybe 20 years ago. Supposedly the transfer quality wasn't great. There's probably some of those floating around.
redline248
AG
I thought all the DVD versions were special edition
double aught
AG
Both versions have been released.
The Collective
AG
Pretty sure the DVDs are all modified to some extent. There was a ton of work to go backward to the original.
redline248
AG
According to the internet, in 2006 a DVD release of the original trilogy included 2 discs for each movie. 1 with special edition, and one "unaltered version." Apparently there is still some editing that was added for the '93 Laser Disc versions, but they took "Episode IV - A New Hope" out.

Also, the original, unaltered version of Star Wars is apparently available to watch in person at the U.S. Library of Congress...
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I actually own the original Star Wars trilogy on laser disc. It was an expensive box set. It has been more than a hot second since I last watched any of those discs (I do still have a working player that is hooked up, so maybe I'll rewatch this weekend). My recollection is those were unaltered versions of the movies. I don't recall if the Episode IV stuff was removed, which would be the true unaltered version of Star Wars.

In fact, I will put that one in the player when I get a break today. I'm curious and want to know.
First Page Last Page
Page 1285 of 1292

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.