Star Wars Discussion Thread

6,602,957 Views | 45374 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by Saxsoon
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ooof
The Porkchop Express
The Porkchop Express
AG
TCTTS said:

"Homework: The Movie"

=

having to watch, at the very least...

- The Mandalorian - Season 1
- The Mandalorian - Season 2
- The Book of Boba Fett
- The Mandalorian - Season 3

... to be fully prepared for the events of a movie (The Mandalorian & Grogu).

Disney just tried this with The Marvels and it failed miserably. Movie sequels to Disney+ shows simply isn't a winning strategy, but who knows, maybe they can at least break even in this case.

It stars a guy who looks like boba fett and a guy who looks like yoda. Between that, YouTube and Wikipedia is it really such a burden?
TCTTS
AG
Again, how did that work out for The Marvels?

Regardless, it didn't used to be this way. You didn't have to have either seen 30 episodes of something - or - watch YouTube/read Wikipedia to catch up and enjoy something. All you really had to have watched was one or a few previous movies in any given franchise, over a span of years. It was simple.

it also just reeks of desperation. After SEVEN years, this is the first movie back and the best they could come up with? A sequel to a four-season series that clearly already ran out of steam/ideas?

It's just depressing that they're seemingly refusing to take a chance theatrically on anything new in this galaxy, doubling down on strategies that already backfired once.
The Porkchop Express
AG
TCTTS said:

Again, how did that work out for The Marvels?

Regardless, it didn't used to be this way. You didn't have to have either seen 30 episodes of something - or - watch YouTube/read Wikipedia to catch up and enjoy something. All you really had to have watched was one or a few previous movies in any given franchise, over a span of years. It was simple.

it also just reeks of desperation. After SEVEN years, this is the first movie back and the best they could come up with? A sequel to a four-season series that clearly already ran out of steam/ideas?

It's just depressing that they're seemingly refusing to take a chance theatrically on anything new in this galaxy, doubling down on strategies that already backfired once.
The next 2-3 years of you crapping on this production are just going to fly by, aren't they?
TCTTS
AG
Ha, I'm super excited for Skeleton Crew, The Acolyte, Andor S2, the Dawn of the Jedi movie, and to a lesser extent even the Rey movie. I'm just so out on the Favreau/Filoni crap, and expressing my frustration that Lucasfilm continues to double down in that regard.

Just like the Force, it's about finding balance!
Chipotlemonger
AG
TCTTS said:

Ha, I'm super excited for Skeleton Crew, The Acolyte, Andor S2, the Dawn of the Jedi movie, and to a lesser extent even the Rey movie. I'm just so out on the Favreau/Filoni crap, and expressing my frustration that Lucasfilm continues to double down in that regard.

I'm with you TCTTS, stupid for these movies to keep doing stuff like this. They should more or less be standalone and maybe have direct callbacks to prior movies chronologically story wise. The idea that tv show, a streaming show, a book, or forbid a freaking comic book, need to be known for a movie to make sense is dumb storytelling and lazy lazy lazy.

I'll crap on this mandalorian grogu movie for a few years, I'm not above that. As a Star Wars fan it is such a disappointment that this is the direction this franchise is going.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
TCTTS said:

Around these parts it is about finding the inches.
Dekker_Lentz
AG
It is concerning that it seems like they are only making Mando and the Kid because they need to put out a movie and it is one of the few things they have that can be easily ramped up, make cost effective, and Grogu by himself probably makes this profitable.

Making movies just to meet release windows is what got Marvel in trouble.

The fact that the best case scenario we have come up with is that it will setup something really cool is not a good sign.

I thought Andor was going to have the same issue, being made just to be made, but it ended telling a really compelling story about the realities of rebelling and the true dangers of the Empire. So maybe this movie can tap into something else and not just seem like a fan service cash grab.

I am just not sure fan service is enough for where Star Wars is right now.
maroon barchetta
Dekker_Lentz said:

Making movies just to sell a crapton of Grogu toys and Mandalorian Halloween costumes is what got Marvel in trouble.

I am just not sure fan service is enough for where Star Wars is right now.
dave94
AG
A Mando and Grogu movie is not at all the same as the Marvels situation.

These are newly created and successful television characters transitioning to the big screen. The chance of success is way higher, and hell, probably a certainty.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Dammit, I just.want an Old Republic movie trilogy. That doesn't need any lead up except actually finishing "Knights of the Old Republic?"
SpreadsheetAg
AG
I want an Old Republic trilogy for many reasons:

1. Many Many Jedi doing awesome ancient Jedi things.

2. Potentially many sith, or just 2, depending on which canon is selected and when it takes place (before the rule of 2 or after, etc.)

3. I doesn't have to have ANY ties to the existing characters; so there need not be any tributes, easter eggs, or other unnecessary gladhanding to the previous generation of actors/writers/etc. and no handwaving and eye-winks to the fans (nor subverted expectations! [thanks RJ])

... further thinking about Obi-Wan's statement to Luke:
"I have something here for you. Your father wanted you to have this when you were old enough, but your uncle wouldn't allow it. He feared you might follow old Obi-Wan on some damn fool idealistic crusade like your father did. It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or as random as a blaster, but an elegant weapon for a more civilized age. For over a thousand generations, the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic. Before the dark times, before the Empire."

I could see the writing proving this true to Obi-Wan, or actually showing that in any period in time there are struggles, heroes, villains, gray, tyranny, and justice. So did Obi-Wan get it right? Or has he been fed a lie? Or is he romanticizing a period that was generally a high-point in civilization and technology, but still had it's trials and injustices that the Jedi had to fight and later white-wash?

I like the idea that it can go anywhere, from "a certain point of view"
jeffk
AG
idk guys, I'm really excited about seeing now-teenaged Grogu drop the first F-bomb in the Star Wars universe.
maroon barchetta
jeffk said:

idk guys, I'm really excited about seeing now-teenaged Grogu drop the first F-bomb in the Star Wars universe.

He's going down the Groot path?
SpreadsheetAg
AG
jeffk said:

"What the frizz"

https://www.cultureslate.com/news/e-chu-ta-a-guide-to-star-wars-swear-words
maroon barchetta
SpreadsheetAg said:

jeffk said:

"What the frizz"

https://www.cultureslate.com/news/e-chu-ta-a-guide-to-star-wars-swear-words

"Frak"
PatAg
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

I want an Old Republic trilogy for many reasons:

1. Many Many Jedi doing awesome ancient Jedi things.

2. Potentially many sith, or just 2, depending on which canon is selected and when it takes place (before the rule of 2 or after, etc.)

3. I doesn't have to have ANY ties to the existing characters; so there need not be any tributes, easter eggs, or other unnecessary gladhanding to the previous generation of actors/writers/etc. and no handwaving and eye-winks to the fans (nor subverted expectations! [thanks RJ])

... further thinking about Obi-Wan's statement to Luke:
"I have something here for you. Your father wanted you to have this when you were old enough, but your uncle wouldn't allow it. He feared you might follow old Obi-Wan on some damn fool idealistic crusade like your father did. It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or as random as a blaster, but an elegant weapon for a more civilized age. For over a thousand generations, the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic. Before the dark times, before the Empire."

I could see the writing proving this true to Obi-Wan, or actually showing that in any period in time there are struggles, heroes, villains, gray, tyranny, and justice. So did Obi-Wan get it right? Or has he been fed a lie? Or is he romanticizing a period that was generally a high-point in civilization and technology, but still had it's trials and injustices that the Jedi had to fight and later white-wash?

I like the idea that it can go anywhere, from "a certain point of view"
This voiceover could literally just be the intro scene to that movie, as well.
Kate Beckett
AG
I'm excited about the new movie, Ahsoka S2, Mandoverse movie by Filoni, all of it.

This is the way.
PatAg
AG
I've liked all of the stories enough to be excited for a feature length movie, and everything that goes into making one (more budget and time?). Seeing it in a theater would be cool, and I've wondered why they havent considered releasing batches of 2-3 movies in theaters. Or even doing full season runs.

I do think they should have just immediately recast Luke, Han, Leia and any other important characters from that time, and just been making the parts of the storeis people wanted to see. (What came next after Return of the Jedi) We have some really good books for a basis of stories (Heir to the Empire for example), and they could have also just created their own if they wanted.
People may have been upset at first, but if the story and acting was good they would have gotten over it quickly.

Im concerned about the use of CGI de-aging on established characters, because it doesnt de-age their movements. And the voice doesn't sound quite right either. I assume it will be good enough to not ruin the movie, though.

Just tell new stories not related to ANY characters we already know. Do genre movies within the star wars universe. Tell a murder mystery, or a detective movie, or do some cool heist movies. Anything, as long as it "feels" like star wars. And more importantly, if its written well, acted well, and directed well...well thats the trick isnt it?
maroon barchetta
Kate Beckett said:

I'm excited about the new movie, Ahsoka S2, Mandoverse movie by Filoni, all of it.

This is the way.

And with your armor, you can volunteer to be an extra!!!
Kate Beckett
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Kate Beckett said:

This is the way.

And with your armor, you can volunteer to be an extra!!!

Don't think I haven't thought about it LOL
YouBet
AG
TCTTS said:

The current live-action slate of officially announced projects, as best I can guess…

DISNEY+ = Skelton Crew - Season 1
DISNEY+ = The Acolyte - Season 1

DISNEY+ = Andor - Season 2

05.22.26 - THEATRICAL = The Mandalorian & Grogu (dir. Jon Favreeau) (???)
12.18.26 - THEATRICAL = Untitled Rey / New Jedi Order Project (dir. Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy) (???)

IN DEVELOPMENT
DISNEY+ = Star Wars: Ahsoka - Season 2
THEATRICAL = Untitled Dawn of the Jedi Project (dir. James Mangold)
THEATRICAL = Untitled Lando Project
THEATRICAL = Untitled New Republic / Heir to the Empire Project (dir. Dave Filoni)
THEATRICAL = Untitled Taika Waititi Project (dir. Taika Waititi)

I'm sure I'll watch all of this but the only one that catches my interest so far is Dawn of the Jedi and I'm forgetting the period for that one....
The Porkchop Express
AG
Lost in yesterday's non-stop love fest for the genius idea of a Mando & Gru movie on this board was the release on Star Wars social media of this hand drawn sketch by Dave Filoni serving as the first look at the potential of Ahsoka Season 2. It would appear to be Ahsoka and Sabine on the same massive statue that we last see Baylan Skoll at the end of Season 1, and perhaps a possible out for working around the death of Ray Stevenson - if he finds the "power" he is seeking off screen, perhaps he evolves into something else by the time Ahsoka and Sabine pick up his path. Just spitballing.

TCTTS
AG
Booo!!! Ahsoka sucks too!!!

Kidding.

Seriously, I like the Ahsoka cast/characters, I just hope Filoni learns to pick up the pace a bit. If anything, season two will presumably have more of an endgame aim, presumably being the project that most directly sets up the big, Filoni-directed Heir to the Empire movie to follow.
TCTTS
AG
YouBet said:

TCTTS said:

The current live-action slate of officially announced projects, as best I can guess…

DISNEY+ = Skelton Crew - Season 1
DISNEY+ = The Acolyte - Season 1

DISNEY+ = Andor - Season 2

05.22.26 - THEATRICAL = The Mandalorian & Grogu (dir. Jon Favreeau) (???)
12.18.26 - THEATRICAL = Untitled Rey / New Jedi Order Project (dir. Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy) (???)

IN DEVELOPMENT
DISNEY+ = Star Wars: Ahsoka - Season 2
THEATRICAL = Untitled Dawn of the Jedi Project (dir. James Mangold)
THEATRICAL = Untitled Lando Project
THEATRICAL = Untitled New Republic / Heir to the Empire Project (dir. Dave Filoni)
THEATRICAL = Untitled Taika Waititi Project (dir. Taika Waititi)

I'm sure I'll watch all of this but the only one that catches my interest so far is Dawn of the Jedi and I'm forgetting the period for that one....

It's meant to be the story of literally the very first Jedi, so whatever period that took place. And because it's going to be written/directed by James Mangold, it's my most anticipated of the bunch as well (along with Andor season two).
YouBet
AG
Also want to see Andor 2. Missed that one.
redline248
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Lost in yesterday's non-stop love fest for the genius idea of a Mando & Gru movie on this board was the release on Star Wars social media of this hand drawn sketch by Dave Filoni serving as the first look at the potential of Ahsoka Season 2. It would appear to be Ahsoka and Sabine on the same massive statue that we last see Baylan Skoll at the end of Season 1, and perhaps a possible out for working around the death of Ray Stevenson - if he finds the "power" he is seeking off screen, perhaps he evolves into something else by the time Ahsoka and Sabine pick up his path. Just spitballing.

Baylon falls off the cliff and dies?

(please don't take my joke as making light of the actor's death)
Flashdiaz
AG
or.... he does something with the force that disfigures him (like palps in attack of the clones) and forces him to wear a mask.
fig96
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

I need an Art of Filoni book. (His stuff in the Art of Clone Wars book is awesome.)

bluefire579
AG
ChipFTAC01
AG
I feel like I've seen some of this deleted footage but not all of it.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C2A1x4LOF_R/?igsh=MW15cmtuem43dzlkbQ==
BenTheGoodAg
AG

Yes please.
jokershady
AG
What if The Last Jedi never happened?

…..then make it cannon….

It's happening!!!!!!!!!
BenTheGoodAg
AG
jokershady said:

What if The Last Jedi never happened?

…..then make it cannon….

It's happening!!!!!!!!!
What if the Force never awakened?
First Page Last Page
Page 1234 of 1297

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.