Star Wars Discussion Thread

6,600,875 Views | 45372 Replies | Last: 17 min ago by C@LAg
Chipotlemonger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Legal Custodian said:

It needs to be a show as opposed to a movie. There is too much backstory to it all to fit in a movie or two. Hell you'd have to have just one movie dedicated to the time spent on Taris.
After Andor's resounding success and awesomeness, I would dig a KOTOR series!
The Porkchop Express
AG
Legal Custodian said:

It needs to be a show as opposed to a movie. There is too much backstory to it all to fit in a movie or two. Hell you'd have to have just one movie dedicated to the time spent on Taris.
That's a great idea. I think the first time I played it I spent the equivalent of 65 years on Taris.

So many cool characters I'd love to see in real life
Bendak Starkiller
Who would Revan be, what gender even?
Calo Nord
The mafia boss on Taris whse name I can't remember today, sadly
Master Vrook - RIP Ed Asner
Saul, Carth's backstabbing mentor
Juhani - who my daughter straight murdered in the tainted grove the first time she played.
redline248
AG
Taris can kiss my ass. I would prefer just a single line with the main character referencing his/her year long infiltration of the criminal underworld on that stupid planet and then we just move on.
aTmAg
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Hagen95 said:

bluefire579 said:

https://www.instagram.com/sharmeenobaidchinoy/reel/CqvScWQIadh/?hl=en

Quote:

It has been quite a day in London....The news is OUT! I am so very excited to be directing the next Star Wars movie and bringing @daisyridley back to the galaxy...

I have always been attracted to the heroes journey and the world definitely needs more heroes! - the blueprints of the heroes we see on screen are rooted in reality - I've spent my life meeting real life heroes, who have overcome the most oppressive empires and battled impossible odds and that to me is the heart of Star Wars...which is why I was attracted to the promise of a new Jedi Order …And why I'm particularly excited about being immersed inside a Jedi Academy with a powerful Jedi Master... #starwars

Ugh, disgusting, classic Kennedy to hire someone who likes Star Wars to direct a Star Wars movie. Pitiful.
She did this with JJ Abrams and we all saw how those turned out.
You mean the biggest grossing domestic movie of all time and my favorite movie of the last 10 years? I guess that was decent.
That wasn't because of the quality of the movie, but because it brought all the stars of the original back.

If that was your favorite movie of the last 10 years, then I assume you didn't see many movies.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Nope, just nowhere near your sophistication level.
The Porkchop Express
AG
redline248 said:

Taris can kiss my ass. I would prefer just a single line with the main character referencing his/her year long infiltration of the criminal underworld on that stupid planet and then we just move on.
Endless streams of apartments to break into. Except some of them are full of murderers.
That stupid quest at the bottom of the elevator in the city full of people looking for their Promised Land.
The Rakghouls - it's all fun and games until you run out of cure med pacs
The first time you bet big on Pazaak and suddenly the computer player is a genius.
Bendak Starkiller talking **** every time you see him.
The speeder bike race that you could win with your eyes closed.
The sewers full of Gamorreans I got lost in every time I played.

But all worth it to get on the Ebon Hawk. A fully-built Ebon Hawk must be made before I die!

Hagen95
AG

Hagen95 said:

The Rise of Skywalker is your favorite movie of the last 10 years?
The Force Awakens. Made $936 million domestic. I'm surprised you've never heard of it.
Seems like you were talking about one and I was talking about the other? Inconsistency should be confined to moderators and not Star Wars movie quality.
TCTTS
AG
bluefire579 said:

Flashdiaz said:

I think the 'gnashing of the teeth' is we want a good story first. We've been burned by Disney's failure to tell a coherent and thought out story. So when interviewed and the first thing she says is it's going to be centered around a woman, I get that same feeling of here we go again with a messy story because it wasn't the primary focus.
I sincerely hope it was just poor emphasis on her part and that the driver is the story and not the gender of who will play the hero.

In contrast, Patty Jenkins Rogue Squadron announcement was spot on. Talked about the story and the direction it was going to take. She didn't start off by saying 'we're going to have female x-wing pilots'. At the time, it was a very exciting pitch (that is until WW84 came out).
That's the only part of a single interview that people are reporting on because it's ragebait, and it's been working as has been displayed in this thread.

Contrast it to the instagram post, which they discuss in the same interview, where she actually announced it months ago:

https://www.instagram.com/sharmeenobaidchinoy/reel/CqvScWQIadh/?hl=en

Quote:

It has been quite a day in London....The news is OUT! I am so very excited to be directing the next Star Wars movie and bringing @daisyridley back to the galaxy...

I have always been attracted to the heroes journey and the world definitely needs more heroes! - the blueprints of the heroes we see on screen are rooted in reality - I've spent my life meeting real life heroes, who have overcome the most oppressive empires and battled impossible odds and that to me is the heart of Star Wars...which is why I was attracted to the promise of a new Jedi Order …And why I'm particularly excited about being immersed inside a Jedi Academy with a powerful Jedi Master... #starwars

So, in other words, the exact perfect quote, that all these people were crying about not getting, was *already* out there, already stated months ago by the directer herself, and the whole being-proud-to-be-the-first-female-feature-film-director of the franchise thing wasn't, in fact, the first thing she stated publicly about the movie?

It's almost as if outrage culture is just a bunch of ill-informed, jumping-the-gun, self-serving bullsh*t, as I've been saying for years now.

I swear, if this doesn't perfectly encapsulate this whole stupid mess, I don't know what does.

Thanks for posting!
Red Five
AG

Jeez and I forgot hk47! Put him on film and he is a top 5 all time character
Agreement: This was my thought as well, Master. You show excellent logical skills... for a meatbag.
TCTTS
AG
jokershady said:

TCTTS said:

Dekker_Lentz said:

The biggest problem the Rey movie will have is coming up with a good villain.

What I still don't really understand is why Disney didn't take the new/old EU material and create a bunch on animated stand alone projects. Like the DC animated movies.

This will obviously be the first movie presumably without either the Empire, The First Order, or Palpatine pulling the strings. So they're going to have to come up with something completely new, which could be a blessing or a curse. Either way, for the first time, I hope we get an actual villain origin story. That's something that could really set this movie apart.
Would you prefer that or some form of that combined with an inner battle with Rey being a palpatine….maybe this evil being knows this (or would be even better if they didn't) and maybe even better Rey has kept this a secret out of fear (which leads to…things) because of what happened to Luke in TLJ and perhaps we even get some cool in depth look at what that dang random Rey double lightsaber deal was in TRoS….

Personally, I'd rather they never mention Rey's connection to Palpatine ever again, but at this point I don't see how they avoid it. So yeah, if they have to go there I do at least like the idea of a new villain attempting to use it against her in some or fashion. Hopefully it wouldn't be the main driver, though.

As for whether she tries to keep her lineage a secret, I don't quite know where I stand on that. On one hand, I guess it could make for good drama, but on the other hand I think I'm leaning more toward it already being a known fact, she's a good teacher because she personally has experience with both the light and the dark side of the Force, we get that out of the way, and move on to some new dilemma/drama.
BG Knocc Out
TCTTS said:

Goaltending what, exactly?

Even though I asked point blank, not a single person here has cared to explain how "girl power"/wokeness has seriously or tangibly affected the franchise box office, or what, specifically, makes Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy the wrong woman for the job, outside of an innocuous quote. Instead, it's the same, tired bullsh*t and "lol"s from a handful of man babies who live to complain, virtue signal, and be offended on the internet.
Not at all an innocuous quote if you said the same thing about any other group of people. It was a stupid quote and you can tell she's a bitter feminist (who probably hates my family). Why can't some of these women at least act like they've been there before. I realize many are capable of this. But the ones like this are just a beat down. She's awful.
TCTTS
BG Knocc Out
"I want to make women uncomfortable"

LOL, can you imagine a male director saying that?

Good luck with your movie lady, I wouldn't bet on it though.
Dekker_Lentz
AG
I would love a KOTOR story.

I think a Rey having basically Luke's post-Jedi EU storylines of setting up an Academy and those trials and tribulations would be perfectly be fine.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Dekker_Lentz said:

I think a Rey having basically Luke's post-Jedi EU storylines of setting up an Academy and those trials and tribulations would be perfectly be fine.
Paging Kyp Durron?
Dekk, you and I should nerd up the Fantasy Football chat with KOTOR talk all off-season.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Dekker_Lentz said:

Including Mara Jade.
redline248
AG
Definitely Not A Cop said:

Dekker_Lentz said:

Including Mara Jade.
If Disney included Mara Jade she'd definitely be Rey's love interest

(In case anyone is unsure, that is sarcasm, people!)
Urban Ag
AG
If nothing else, the future Pitch Meeting should be a hoot.

Ryan 1: So you gotta movie for me?
Ryan 2: Yes sir I do! It's the latest in the Star Wars saga where we pick up Rey's character some years later.
Ryan 1: Who?
Ryan 2: Rey, the girl from the Sequel Trilogy, she's going to start a new Jedi Training Academy.
Ryan 1: Oh! Jedi Training Academy's are tight! But didn't that last one not go so well for Luke?
Ryan 2: Yeah, but chronologically that was before Kathleen Kennedy was involved and a girl is going to run it this time.
Ryan 1: Oh okay. So who you have writing and directing this one? Favreau? Feige? Del Torro?
Ryan 2: No, we're going with a female who's mostly done documentaries about the plight of girls in Pakistan.
Ryan 1: Oh the one that put a lot of emphasis on how it was past time for a feature Star Wars movie to be directed by a woman and that her goal is to make men uncomfortable with her work?
Ryan 2: That's the one sir!
Ryan 1: I see. So, is there any concern that maybe that's not the best choice, right now, for a franchise that is struggling to connect with younger males that traditionally make up the majority of the audience?
Ryan 2: I don't know!
Ryan 1: Well allright then let's do this.
The Porkchop Express
AG
redline248 said:

Definitely Not A Cop said:

Dekker_Lentz said:

Including Mara Jade.
If Disney included Mara Jade she'd definitely be Rey's love interest

(In case anyone is unsure, that is sarcasm, people!)
Uh, I'm 1,000% on board with that idea, starring Karen Gillam as Mara Jade

YouBet
AG
I was never all that enthralled with Mara Jade as a character. Give me Talon Karrde.
twilly
AG
So if having a woman led/created SW film was a high priority, why did Patty Jenkins' Rogue Squadron not make it to the finish line?
maroon barchetta
BG Knocc Out said:

"I want to make women uncomfortable"

LOL, can you imagine a male director saying that?

Good luck with your movie lady, I wouldn't bet on it though.

It's ok for her to say it.

It's not ok for you to say it.

Live with the double standard, mkay?
TCTTS
AG
Wonder Woman 1984 happened. And I'm sure certain powers-that-be lost a bit of confidence in her after that. Could also be that they simply never got the script to where they wanted it. Not to mention, Jenkins developed a take for a third Wonder Woman as well, and at one point it might have taken precedent over her Star Wars commitment. IMO, it basically sounds like she stretched herself too thin in the wake of her success, then it all imploded after WW84, for numerous reasons.
The Porkchop Express
AG
TCTTS said:

Wonder Woman 1984 happened. And I'm sure certain powers-that-be lost a bit of confidence in her after that. Could also be that they simply never got the script to where they wanted it. Not to mention, Jenkins developed a take for a third Wonder Woman as well, and at one point it might have taken precedent over her Star Wars commitment. IMO, it basically sounds like she stretched herself too thin in the wake of her success, then it all imploded after WW84, for numerous reasons.
That movie could have been a 5/10 and I would have loved it. FIrst big movie we saw in the theaters after COVID. Instead it was more like a 1.5 out of 10. And only that cuz Gal Gadot is hot
Dekker_Lentz
AG

Dekker_Lentz said:

Paging Kyp Durron?
Dekk, you and I should nerd up the Fantasy Football chat with KOTOR talk all off-season.

I was thinking exactly Kyp Durron-esque story.

I am always down for Star Wars talk.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Dekker_Lentz said:

Dekker_Lentz said:

Paging Kyp Durron?

If they make another trilogy theey need the Vong - enemies callyexi the Force. and can't be touched physically by the Force.
Dekker_Lentz
AG
So in my mind the Rey movie(s) are paired with the James Margold movie(s). Then after those, have the New Jedi order fight something like the Vong.
DrEvazanPhD
YouBet said:

I was never all that enthralled with Mara Jade as a character. Give me Talon Karrde.

I like them both. And the Karen Gillian as Mara works very well. Talon Karrde…that's a tougher call. But I like chiwetel ejiofor (spelling) for the role. He was such a good villain in the firefly movie that he could pull off a role with moral ambiguity
canadiaggie
AG
BG Knocc Out said:

TCTTS said:

Even though I asked point blank, not a single person here has cared to explain how "girl power"/wokeness has seriously or tangibly affected the franchise box office, or what, specifically, makes Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy the wrong woman for the job, outside of an innocuous quote. Instead, it's the same, tired bullsh*t and "lol"s from a handful of man babies who live to complain, virtue signal, and be offended on the internet.
Not at all an innocuous quote if you said the same thing about any other group of people. It was a stupid quote and you can tell she's a bitter feminist (who probably hates my family). Why can't some of these women at least act like they've been there before. I realize many are capable of this. But the ones like this are just a beat down. She's awful.

Why would she hate your family? Are you Pakistani Zamindars?
The Porkchop Express
AG
DrEvazanPhD said:

YouBet said:

I like them both. And the Karen Gillian as Mara works very well. Talon Karrde…that's a tougher call. But I like chiwetel ejiofor (spelling) for the role. He was such a good villain in the firefly movie that he could pull off a role with moral ambiguity
Talon would be a fascinating role to cast because he needs a lot of charisma but he's not really a leading man type, very slick and sly, only loyal to his own people, etc. Able to get really nasty if he needs to. I'd say Andy Serkis would be an interesting choice other than the fact he's already been SNoke and Kino Loy.
BG Knocc Out
canadiaggie said:

BG Knocc Out said:

TCTTS said:

Why would she hate your family? Are you Pakistani Zamindars?
Liberal feminists tend to utterly despise traditional conservative people who do not share their ideologies.
Red Five
AG

Dekker_Lentz said:

Dekker_Lentz said:

Paging Kyp Durron?

If they make another trilogy theey need the Vong - enemies callyexi the Force. and can't be touched physically by the Force.
New Jedi Order would be by far the better timeline than post-Rebellion New Republic/Jedi Academy timeline.

It basically already solved the major problem with Star Wars that people, at least on here, like to complain about - Jedi being too important and powerful. Fine, here's a species that the force cant interact with and a pile of dead Jedi.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Can we sing a kumbaya and circle back to the KOTOR discussion please? That was fun.

What squad did y'all like to run around with, and did that differ when you played it from the light side and the dark side?

Light side squad:
  • Zaalbar - Gotta have the wookie
  • I can't remember who else I liked much to team up with my light side character?

Dark side squad:
  • HK-47 - For obvious reasons
  • Canderous Ordo

Always left behind:
  • T3-M4 - Stay on the ship, measly utility droid.

redline248
AG
Bastilla goes in every party
jokershady
AG
HOLY CRAP MASSIVE ANDOR 2 UPDATE!!!!!

there will be another scene with Syril eating cereal.....

and of course actually im really excited for andor 2 and any updates about this show are like crack since we won't be getting it until 2025 because what EVERYONE was really asking for is the acolyte which is VASTLY more important than S2 of the best star wars show ever....

First Page Last Page
Page 1230 of 1297

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.