Star Wars Discussion Thread

6,600,900 Views | 45372 Replies | Last: 27 min ago by C@LAg
DrEvazanPhD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SpreadsheetAg said:

Oh I'll give it the benefit of the doubt because it's Star Wars. But the track record for the movies has been **** since TFA. I am simply not hopeful anything has changed and fear it will get worse.

Did some mention this lady directed a Ms. Marvel? Oh boy. Good luck, I Guess.
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C1paiLgun3G/?igsh=YTI4YzE2YTYwMA%3D%3D

i think this is the new director.
fig96
AG
jokershady said:

Murder Hornet said:

ChipFTAC01 said:

Mary Sue?
a female character that can do no wrong, has nothing to learn, is overpowered from the start.
honestly the best example of this was the remake of Mulan….way worse than anything with Rey in Star Wars and that's saying something…..
The live action remakes in general are just bad cash grabs, let's remake this thing in real life so we can remove all of the animated charm.
captkirk
AG
fig96 said:

redline248 said:

I used "girl power" to stay consistent in the post, but yes, Rogue One is not quite the same as in TLJ, or 20 secs of End Game for example.

But the idea was to have the hero be a woman that doesn't go along with society's plan, so to speak. The makers of that movie pulled it off successfully, because - in my opinion - it wasn't the ultimate goal of the movie.
I think we hit on the key point here.

They had some similar themes. One was a well made, well written movie. The other wasn't. Those were choices the creators made, not some outside agenda.
So DEI focused "creators" are just less talented and less able to tell an interesting story? Interesting theory.
fig96
AG
I know you're not here to actually contribute to the discussion, but this was just posted as part of this conversation a page or two back.
bluefire579
AG
Flashdiaz said:

I think the 'gnashing of the teeth' is we want a good story first. We've been burned by Disney's failure to tell a coherent and thought out story. So when interviewed and the first thing she says is it's going to be centered around a woman, I get that same feeling of here we go again with a messy story because it wasn't the primary focus.
I sincerely hope it was just poor emphasis on her part and that the driver is the story and not the gender of who will play the hero.

In contrast, Patty Jenkins Rogue Squadron announcement was spot on. Talked about the story and the direction it was going to take. She didn't start off by saying 'we're going to have female x-wing pilots'. At the time, it was a very exciting pitch (that is until WW84 came out).
That's the only part of a single interview that people are reporting on because it's ragebait, and it's been working as has been displayed in this thread.

Contrast it to the instagram post, which they discuss in the same interview, where she actually announced it months ago:

https://www.instagram.com/sharmeenobaidchinoy/reel/CqvScWQIadh/?hl=en

Quote:

It has been quite a day in London....The news is OUT! I am so very excited to be directing the next Star Wars movie and bringing @daisyridley back to the galaxy...

I have always been attracted to the heroes journey and the world definitely needs more heroes! - the blueprints of the heroes we see on screen are rooted in reality - I've spent my life meeting real life heroes, who have overcome the most oppressive empires and battled impossible odds and that to me is the heart of Star Wars...which is why I was attracted to the promise of a new Jedi Order …And why I'm particularly excited about being immersed inside a Jedi Academy with a powerful Jedi Master... #starwars
jokershady
AG
fig96 said:

jokershady said:

Murder Hornet said:

ChipFTAC01 said:

Mary Sue?
a female character that can do no wrong, has nothing to learn, is overpowered from the start.
honestly the best example of this was the remake of Mulan….way worse than anything with Rey in Star Wars and that's saying something…..
The live action remakes in general are just bad cash grabs, let's remake this thing in real life so we can remove all of the animated charm.
not to derail and you are correct…

But the Milan remake just stung so much more because it looked like the first remake that was going to do something interesting and different….like crouching tiger meets Mulan which would've been awesome…..

Instead we get Mulan who's a perfect martial arts prodigy as a child getting trained by her father to enhance her "chi" and she's perfect from the start COMPLETELY DESTROYING what made the original Mulan characters journey so meaningful and interesting…

And truthfully…the original Mulan was a much better "girl power" film because it was done right! She took a massive risk taking her fathers place to protect him even though she was this clumsy person who couldn't fight making her sacrifice so much more meaningful and having a much more interesting journey…..

Dangit Disney I still have hope you can learn from these mistakes cause I am rooting for you I want good films again but…..yeeeesh……it's getting harder and harder to stay optimistic…..
fig96
AG
captkirk said:

fig96 said:

redline248 said:

I used "girl power" to stay consistent in the post, but yes, Rogue One is not quite the same as in TLJ, or 20 secs of End Game for example.

But the idea was to have the hero be a woman that doesn't go along with society's plan, so to speak. The makers of that movie pulled it off successfully, because - in my opinion - it wasn't the ultimate goal of the movie.

They had some similar themes. One was a well made, well written movie. The other wasn't. Those were choices the creators made, not some outside agenda.
So DEI focused "creators" are just less talented and less able to tell an interesting story? Interesting theory.
Creators who make bad choices tell less interesting stories. For example, someone like Rian Johnson who's very hit or miss and sometimes thinks he's more clever than he is.

You can have great diverse stories (Rogue One, Andor) or bad ones. This is not hard.
captkirk
AG
fig96 said:

captkirk said:

fig96 said:

redline248 said:

Creators who make bad choices tell less interesting stories. For example, someone like Rian Johnson who's very hit or miss and sometimes thinks he's more clever than he is.

You can have great diverse stories (Rogue One, Andor) or bad ones. This is not hard.
I'm just looking at the string of bad stories since Kennedy took over and am trying to make a connection. Rogue One is the only good property they've put out. Mando season 1 was decent because some fans (Favreau) came to the rescue
fig96
AG
Gotcha, I haven't seen that one as I also thought it sounded like it had potential and then the reviews confirmed that it did not.

But yeah, if there's an attempt to do something cool with the original idea then I'm all for it, but that generally hasn't been the case.
fig96
AG
captkirk said:

fig96 said:

captkirk said:

fig96 said:

redline248 said:

I'm just looking at the string of bad stories since Kennedy took over and am trying to make a connection. Rogue One is the only good property they've put out
Yeah, Andor, Bad Batch, Mandalorian, Ahsoka, Solo, all terrible.

(I know opinions are split on Solo but if you hated it it wasn't because it was too girl power-y.)
bluefire579
AG
fig96 said:

captkirk said:

fig96 said:

captkirk said:

fig96 said:

redline248 said:

I'm just looking at the string of bad stories since Kennedy took over and am trying to make a connection. Rogue One is the only good property they've put out
Yeah, Andor, Bad Batch, Mandalorian, Ahsoka, Solo, all terrible.

(I know opinions are split on Solo but if you hated it it wasn't because it was too girl power-y.)
Add Rebels and Tales of the Jedi and the last season of Clone Wars
Legal Custodian
AG
Forgive the dumb question but will this Rey movie be the start of a new episodic trilogy? Or is that not known at this time?
Flashdiaz
AG
bluefire579 said:

Quote:

It has been quite a day in London....The news is OUT! I am so very excited to be directing the next Star Wars movie and bringing @daisyridley back to the galaxy...

I have always been attracted to the heroes journey and the world definitely needs more heroes! - the blueprints of the heroes we see on screen are rooted in reality - I've spent my life meeting real life heroes, who have overcome the most oppressive empires and battled impossible odds and that to me is the heart of Star Wars...which is why I was attracted to the promise of a new Jedi Order …And why I'm particularly excited about being immersed inside a Jedi Academy with a powerful Jedi Master... #starwars

Thanks for posting this.
jokershady
AG
bluefire579 said:

Flashdiaz said:

I think the 'gnashing of the teeth' is we want a good story first. We've been burned by Disney's failure to tell a coherent and thought out story. So when interviewed and the first thing she says is it's going to be centered around a woman, I get that same feeling of here we go again with a messy story because it wasn't the primary focus.
I sincerely hope it was just poor emphasis on her part and that the driver is the story and not the gender of who will play the hero.

In contrast, Patty Jenkins Rogue Squadron announcement was spot on. Talked about the story and the direction it was going to take. She didn't start off by saying 'we're going to have female x-wing pilots'. At the time, it was a very exciting pitch (that is until WW84 came out).
That's the only part of a single interview that people are reporting on because it's ragebait, and it's been working as has been displayed in this thread.

Contrast it to the instagram post, which they discuss in the same interview, where she actually announced it months ago:

Quote:

yes! more of this please!

DrEvazanPhD
fig96 said:

I know you're not here to actually contribute to the discussion, but this was just posted as part of this conversation a page or two back.

Sorry judgy mcjudgerson, didn't go that far back.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
fig96 said:

captkirk said:

fig96 said:

redline248 said:

Yes, I think the difference is that those films didn't feel like their women leads were written as a way to pander to attract female viewers.

And TBF, I think Rey was initially not set up that way in TFA. But 8 definitely felt like all sorts of pandering (not with her character specifically). Rey's main issue is that they didn't develop her at all, everything is plot driven with her. Kylo was the only real character-driven figure I can remember in the ST. And honestly I think Marvel is much more of a perpetrator of this than anything on the SW side. And I think you can see their box office numbers crumbling as a result. Although there are absolutely many other factors that are contributing.

I generally think promotion through pandering to specific genders and races absolutely does affect movie results. Look no further than the backlash against captain marvel and then her sequel. You are also right though that ultimately, if it's a good story, people will be more forgiving of it, like Barbie or Wonder Woman. Barbie is kind of a unique case though where they actually address in the movie how it has always been a way to pander to young girls, and why it has fallen out of favor with so many young women as a result.
The Porkchop Express
AG
bluefire579 said:

Quote:

Ugh, disgusting, classic Kennedy to hire someone who likes Star Wars to direct a Star Wars movie. Pitiful.
Hagen95
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

bluefire579 said:

Quote:

Ugh, disgusting, classic Kennedy to hire someone who likes Star Wars to direct a Star Wars movie. Pitiful.
She did this with JJ Abrams and we all saw how those turned out.
PatAg
AG
TCTTS said:

I agree 100% with every one of your character/story critiques. But again, that's just bad writing. Plain and simple.

A girl being given powers she hasn't earned doesn't equal "girl power" in the way we're talking about. Clearly, the woke brand of "girl power" implies man-hating feminist propaganda, a stated aim to replace the patriarchy with women, etc, and there's just not a shred of any of that in the sequel trilogy.

Also, TFA was written by two men, one of whom literally wrote a significant chunk of the Luke arc you're referring to (not to mention the arcs of Han Solo and Indiana Jones). So what's more likely? Lawrence Kasdan became a raging feminist hell bent on "girl power" - or - 35 years later, under an impossible deadline, he simply didn't have his fastball anymore, and Rey's corner-cutting arc is what we ended up with?

As for Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy, can you prove that she's NOT "concerned with story and characters?" All this gnashing of teeth over a two-line excerpt from a random interview that in no way implies she isn't working her ass off behind the scenes to also be making a great movie.

I'm not saying you, specifically, are doing this to the same degree as others, but overall it's just so f/cking weird to me how desperately some people need for there to be some grand woke agenda to rail against, making never-ending mountains out of mole hills in the process.
If there weren't all the people making it weird, the conversation would be "she needs some better PR skills", lol
The Porkchop Express
AG
Hagen95 said:

The Porkchop Express said:

bluefire579 said:

Quote:

She did this with JJ Abrams and we all saw how those turned out.
You mean the biggest grossing domestic movie of all time and my favorite movie of the last 10 years? I guess that was decent.
The Porkchop Express
AG
jokershady said:

fig96 said:

jokershady said:

Murder Hornet said:

ChipFTAC01 said:

Mary Sue?
not to derail and you are correct…

But the Milan remake just stung so much more because it looked like the first remake that was going to do something interesting and different….like crouching tiger meets Mulan which would've been awesome…..

Instead we get Mulan who's a perfect martial arts prodigy as a child getting trained by her father to enhance her "chi" and she's perfect from the start COMPLETELY DESTROYING what made the original Mulan characters journey so meaningful and interesting…

And truthfully…the original Mulan was a much better "girl power" film because it was done right! She took a massive risk taking her fathers place to protect him even though she was this clumsy person who couldn't fight making her sacrifice so much more meaningful and having a much more interesting journey…..

Dangit Disney I still have hope you can learn from these mistakes cause I am rooting for you I want good films again but…..yeeeesh……it's getting harder and harder to stay optimistic…..
Live action Mulan was doomed when they didn't invite Donny Osmond back for "I'll Make a Man Out of You"

Hagen95
AG
The Rise of Skywalker is your favorite movie of the last 10 years?
powerbelly
AG
Hagen95 said:

That is really sad.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Hagen95 said:

The Force Awakens. Made $936 million domestic. I'm surprised you've never heard of it.
PatAg
AG
Pretty sure he's talking Force Awakens
YouBet
AG
It would save us all a lot of angst if they would simply move on from Rey and start over. She's a tainted character because she's a Mary Sue and I'm not sure how you write your way out of a convoluted mess of an origin story in the ST. But I realize that is not going to happen.

As it stands, you are essentially rebooting the next "phase" with an Omega level meta-human for this universe (to borrow Marvel terminology), in Rey. Since she is leading the Jedi Academy maybe they just sideline her as the all-powerful leader who rarely gets involved in the day to day like Yoda. Probably the best way forward.
Farmer1906
AG
Or you just move ahead in time and do a reboot. Have a grandma Rey die and build the world however you want.
YouBet
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Or you just move ahead in time and do a reboot. Have a grandma Rey die and build the world however you want.

Would love to forget ST ever happened. Not in the cards though.
powerbelly
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Or take something from the thousands of years of EU material and explore something new in the star wars universe.
Chipotlemonger
AG
powerbelly said:

Farmer1906 said:

Or take something from the thousands of years of EU material and explore something new in the star wars universe.
WE WANT KOTOR!!!! That is the Star Wars hill I will die on.
Farmer1906
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

powerbelly said:

Farmer1906 said:

The Porkchop Express
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

powerbelly said:

Farmer1906 said:

They've waited so damn long, Ron Pearlman is too old to play Canderous Ordo.

That movie would be so fantastic. James Marsden or Patrick Wilson could play Carth, some fine ass British actress could play Bastilla, get the tall New Zealander guy to play Zaalbar, spray paint Jenna Ortega blue and let her be Mission, let Tom Hardy be Darth Malak, pick whichever middle aged black guy you want to be Jolee Bindo, it's all there for the taking!
Chipotlemonger
AG
Yea, speaking of DEI...KOTOR is already the perfect Star Wars story to use to cover a lot of those bases. Ridiculous that they just have this impeccable story out there and aren't going to use it.

TCTTS, if you're reading this, you need to check out the KOTOR story if you are unfamiliar with it.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Jeez and I forgot hk47! Put him on film and he is a top 5 all time character
Legal Custodian
AG
It needs to be a show as opposed to a movie. There is too much backstory to it all to fit in a movie or two. Hell you'd have to have just one movie dedicated to the time spent on Taris.
First Page Last Page
Page 1229 of 1297

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.