Star Wars Discussion Thread

6,601,074 Views | 45372 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by C@LAg
fig96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
maroon barchetta said:

fig96 said:

Looks like the clip is from a womens conference in 2015, not surprising she leaned into it. Nor is it surprising that Matt Walsh went to find something to be upset about.

She's the first woman directing a Star Wars film and proud of it, not a thing wrong with that. I'll judge her by the quality of the film she makes.
Now judge the franchise since Kathleen Kennedy took over.
Some of the very best and very worst Star Wars that's been made.

The new trilogy as a whole was a train wreck which we pretty much universally agree on. That's largely due to mismanagement of the process at the highest levels.
The Porkchop Express
AG
jokershady said:

The Porkchop Express said:

This thread, started so beautifully by BES back in '14, is no longer fun to be on.
which of these do we blame for that?

or....

or....

or....

come'on it'll be therapeutic to vent a little again it's tradition everytime there's news we don't like
BOBF had some laughably bad moments. But also gave me more Luke and Ahsoka and Mando and Grogu.
TLJ is the weakest link of the 5 post 2015-moments, but still has a lot of great scenes i love to watch.
I love TROS, Sorry, not sorry.
KK's leadership has given me thousands of marvelous memories and moments in the past 9 years. Not eerything has been great. Not everything about the OT was great either, nor the PT, but Star Wars is still #1 in my book and people crying that a woman is directing a new movie is not going to change that. 99% of what most people say online is just babble to fill the dead space.
fig96
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Manage expectations?

If Disney has been giving us X. The director talks about X. Then don't expect Y.
I wasn't going to manage my expectations but now I will. Thank you for this moment of clarity.
Farmer1906
AG
fig96 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Manage expectations?

If Disney has been giving us X. The director talks about X. Then don't expect Y.
I wasn't going to manage my expectations but now I will. Thank you for this moment of clarity.

You're very welcome. I am happy to help you.
TCTTS
AG

This thread, started so beautifully by BES back in '14, is no longer fun to be on.

We're in a rare deadzone between Star Wars "eras," which unfortunately brings the same ol' dumbasses out of the woodwork, who need something to rage against, and are small-brained enough to blame the "fall" of a franchise, up against an impossible timeline (Iger insisting TFA come out in 2015, then forcing a movie a year from that point on), on "girl power." When, in reality, girl power/wokeness played next to no role in the current state of affairs.

Once the Star Wars machine starts back up, which will surely be in the next couple of months, and the dates for the new shows are announced for later this year, more info drops on the new movies, casting begins, etc, hopefully we'll get back at least a little of the old discussions/excitement.
DrEvazanPhD
TCTTS said:

We're in a rare deadzone between Star Wars "eras," which unfortunately brings the same ol' dumbasses out of the woodwork, who need something to rage against, and are small-brained enough to blame the "fall" of a franchise, up against an impossible timeline (Iger insisting TFA come out in 2015, then forcing a movie a year from that point on), on "girl power." When, in reality, girl power/wokeness played next to no role in the current state of affairs.

Once the Star Wars machine starts back up, which will surely be in the next couple of months, and the dates for the new shows are announced for later this year, more info drops on the new movies, casting begins, etc, hopefully we'll get back at least a little of the old discussions/excitement.
Yeah, can't agree with you on that.
fig96
AG
DrEvazanPhD said:

TCTTS said:

(For the record I'm with TCTTS.)
TCTTS
AG
DrEvazanPhD said:

TCTTS said:

Based on a quick glance at your posting history/tendencies, I'm not at all surprised.
DrEvazanPhD
TCTTS said:

DrEvazanPhD said:

TCTTS said:

Based on a quick glance at your posting history/tendencies, I'm not at all surprised.
Ok.
powerbelly
AG
Her lack of directing credits worries me, but we will see, maybe her debute will be a homerun.
redline248
AG
Hit Star Tours, Rise and Smuggler's Run today. Saw this guy (unfortunately didn't see Ahsoka).

I told Kylo Ren he'd never be as strong as Darth Vader and he ignored me.

The Porkchop Express
AG
Adam Driver is a great listen on Smartless this week by the way.
PatAg
AG
TCTTS said:

Jackson and Lord of the Rings really ruined this for everyone else, huh.
redline248
AG
PatAg said:

TCTTS said:

Jackson and Lord of the Rings really ruined this for everyone else, huh.
Well, Jackson was smart enough to shoot the whole thing at once. Of course, he also didn't have to write much of the story.
PatAg
AG
The first big Star Wars movie that releases is going to have so much pressure on it. I actually hope they go new and bold with the story, but I know they will go safe and familiar. Dont know which director's film is set to be up next though.
jokershady
AG
So how would folks rank all the Star Wars properties that have came out since the mouse wrote a big check to 'ole George?

Here's mine:

1. Rogue One
2. Andor
3. Tales of the Jedi
4. Solo
5. The Bad Batch
6. The Mandalorian (If was just judging on S1 and S2 this would've been right under Andor)
7. The Force Awakens
8. The Last Jedi
9. Ahsoka
10. Kenobi
11. Book of Boba Fett
12. The Rise of Skywalker

Never watched:

Star Wars Resistence
TCTTS
AG
The Rey movie sounds like it's the furthest along, by a significant amount, and will fill that December 2026 slot (the next announced SW date). That said, if Mando season four ends up being a movie, it could of course be next, assuming that rumor has any credence at all, which I don't think it does, but who knows.
A is A
AG
and let's be honest, the gap from 1 to 2 is huge. from 2 to 4 is even greater. That is how ****ty TLJ an TROS have been
ABATTBQ11
AG
It's not that a woman is directing a Star Wars movie, it's that this woman is directing a Star Wars movie. You keep confusing being anti-activist with being anti-women. They're not the same thing.
TCTTS
AG
jokershady said:

So how would folks rank all the Star Wars properties that have came out since the mouse wrote a big check to 'ole George?

Here's mine:

1. Rogue One
2. Andor
3. Tales of the Jedi
4. Solo
5. The Bad Batch
6. The Mandalorian (If was just judging on S1 and S2 this would've been right under Andor)
7. The Force Awakens
8. The Last Jedi
9. Ahsoka
10. Kenobi
11. Book of Boba Fett

Never watched:

Star Wars Resistence

I'm pretty close to this. I would say...

TIER 1 (excellent)
01. Andor - Season 1
02. Rogue One
03. Solo

TIER 2 (good/decent, but with issues)
04. The Force Awakens
05. The Mandalorian - Season 1
06. The Mandalorian - Season 2

TEIR 3 (some highlights, but pretty bad overall)
07. The Last Jedi
08. Ahsoka - Season 1
09. Obi-Wan Kenobi - Season 1

TIER 4 (straight trash)
10. The Rise of Skywalker
11. The Mandalorian - Season 3
12. The Book of Boba Fett - Season 1

Never watched:
- The Bad Batch
- Tales of the Jedi
The Porkchop Express
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

It's not that a woman is directing a Star Wars movie, it's that this woman is directing a Star Wars movie. You keep confusing being anti-activist with being anti-women. They're not the same thing.

What has this woman done that upsets you
Dekker_Lentz
AG
The biggest problem the Rey movie will have is coming up with a good villain.

What I still don't really understand is why Disney didn't take the new/old EU material and create a bunch on animated stand alone projects. Like the DC animated movies.
ABATTBQ11
AG
jokershady said:

Here's mine:

1. Rogue One
2. Andor
3. Tales of the Jedi
4. Solo
5. The Bad Batch
7. The Force Awakens
8. The Last Jedi
9. Ahsoka
10. Kenobi
11. Book of Boba Fett

Never watched:

Star Wars Resistence

Mine:

Andor
Rogue One
Mando Seasons 1 & 2
Bad Batch
Tales of the Jedi

Mando Season 3
Ahsoka

Kenobi

Book of Boba Fett

Solo

TFA
RoS

TLJ
fig96
AG
TCTTS said:

jokershady said:

Here's mine:

1. Rogue One
2. Andor
3. Tales of the Jedi
4. Solo
5. The Bad Batch
7. The Force Awakens
8. The Last Jedi
9. Ahsoka
10. Kenobi
11. Book of Boba Fett

Never watched:

Star Wars Resistence

I'm pretty close to this. I would say...

TIER 1 (excellent)
01. Andor - Season 1
02. Rogue One
03. Solo

TIER 2 (good/decent, but with issues)
04. The Force Awakens
05. The Mandalorian - Season 1
06. The Mandalorian - Season 2

TEIR 3 (some highlights, but pretty bad overall)
07. The Last Jedi
08. Ahsoka - Season 1
09. Obi-Wan Kenobi - Season 1

TIER 4 (straight trash)
10. The Rise of Skywalker
11. The Mandalorian - Season 3
12. The Book of Boba Fett - Season 1

Never watched:
- The Bad Batch
- Tales of the Jedi
Very similar for me, I'd bump Mando S1 into Tier 1 just ahead of Solo and I have a soft spot for TFA because it just felt so Star Wars-y (and was the first thing in a looooong time that did). And maybe slide Mando S3 up into Tier 3.

Need to finish Bad Batch and haven't seen Tales of the Jedi either.
TCTTS
AG
Dekker_Lentz said:

What I still don't really understand is why Disney didn't take the new/old EU material and create a bunch on animated stand alone projects. Like the DC animated movies.

This will obviously be the first movie presumably without either the Empire, The First Order, or Palpatine pulling the strings. So they're going to have to come up with something completely new, which could be a blessing or a curse. Either way, for the first time, I hope we get an actual villain origin story. That's something that could really set this movie apart.
redline248
AG
jokershady said:

I personally don't like trying to rate movies against shows, especially as the shows start adding seasons. However, the best shows are way more enjoyable to me than final 2 sequel movies.

Movies:
Rogue One
Force Awakens
Solo

Rise/Last Jedi can they tie for last?

Shows:
Andor
Rebels (you forgot this one)
Mandalorian
Ahsoka
Bad Batch
Kenobi
Boba Fett
Resistance (I've only seen some of this and might put it above Boba Fett if I watched it all)

I think Tales and Visions belong in their own category, too, since they are shorts, but I'd definitely rather watch Tales than Ep 8 or 9.

Final season of Clone Wars probably goes on there between Mando and Ahsoka, for me. Some of those episodes were lame but the final arc is amazing.
jokershady
AG
Ah! I had thought Rebels was still a George Lucas property....that would go just above Bad Batch on my list then.
The Porkchop Express
AG
1. The Force Awakens
2. Andor
3. Ahsoka
4. Mando
5. Rogue One
6. The Rise of Skywalker
7. Rebels
8. Final Season of Clone Wars
9. Obi-Wan
10. Tales of the Jedi
11. The Last Jedi
12. Solo
13. The Bad Batch - love the soldiers, hate the kid
14. Book of Boba Fett minus episodes 4 & 5
Teslag
AG
Quote:

When, in reality, girl power/wokeness played next to no role in the current state of affairs.

L

O

L

Holy hell I can't believe I just read that
TCTTS
AG
Then by all means, please, break it down. I would LOVE to hear exactly how you think "girl power"/wokeness - not just bad writing/a lack of planning - had any *serious* effect on the franchise box office. Bonus points for doing so without sounding like a cliched, Doomcock-watching nut job.
Dekker_Lentz
AG
TCTTS said:

Dekker_Lentz said:

This will obviously be the first movie presumably without either the Empire, The First Order, or Palpatine pulling the strings. So they're going to have to come up with something completely new, which could be a blessing or a curse. Either way, for the first time, I hope we get an actual villain origin story. That's something that could really set this movie apart.

Could be the Sith Empire from KOTOR. But I am hoping for something new.
Dekker_Lentz
AG
Tier 1 (excellent)
1. Andor
2. Rogue One

Tier 2 (very good)
1. Rebels
2. Last Season of Clone Wars

Tier 3 (good)
1. Mando (Last Season drug it down)
2. Tales of the Jedi

Tier 4 (average)
1. Solo
2. Bad Batch (Probably should be higher, but it didn't grab me.)
3. Book of Fett (I felt a connection to the story of reinventing yourself because of where I was in my life, but I can see why people have it lower.)

Tier 5 (disappointing)
1. Ahsoka.

Tier 6 (poor)
1. Obi-Wan Kenobi
2. Force Awakens

TIER 7 (bottom of the barrel)
1. The Rise of Skywalker
2. Resistance
3. TLJ
bluefire579
AG
Someone dubbed the English subtitles for a pirated Chinese version of Revenge of the Sith into the movie and it is absolutely glorious

https://www.reddit.com/r/PrequelMemes/comments/18xoujs/someone_took_the_english_subtitles_of_a_pirated/
ABATTBQ11
AG

ABATTBQ11 said:

What has this woman done that upsets you

What has she done that makes you think she's a good fit for this instead of a DEI pick?
YouBet
AG
TCTTS said:

First Page Last Page
Page 1227 of 1297

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.