Star Wars Discussion Thread

6,603,138 Views | 45375 Replies | Last: 36 min ago by jokershady
maroon barchetta
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ABATTBQ11 said:

I'm gonna go out an a limb and say at least one of those two will suck and they should bump them instead of Andor. That's just me being selfish though...

This.
double aught
AG
Disney should be extremely deferential to Andor. Best Star Wars since the original trilogy.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Interesting thing I read about the debut of ANH back in 1977. All the footage we see of the giant lines and the cameras and C3PO and R2D2 at the premiere happened in August of that year. Only 32 theaters in the entire country signed up to get Star Wars on the date it debuted, with 8 more the next day.
Mann's Chinese Theatre was one of them, but only promised a two week run because it had made a deal with the movie "Sorcerer" to be shown after that. The Mann company put Star Wars at another theater during that time, then brought it back for the big second premiere to attract media attention.

Word of mouth right away bumped the # of theaters up to 43 by the end of the first week, and those 43 theaters hauled in $1.554 million, a staggering average of $36,151 per theater.

By Jun 17, it was 157 theaters, then 360, then 452, 689, 757, 843, 950, and hit a high of 1,074 in August of 1977. More than 60 theaters kept it playing daily for more than a year, and they all got special copies of a poster called "Birthday Cake" to hang in the theaters.

After leaving the theaters in April 1978, it returned for a one-week engagement in July 1978 and made $10 million, and came out again in 1979 about 6 months before empire, and in August 1982, about 10 months before Jedi.

When it debuted as a special edition in 1997, it made $35.9 million across 2,104 theaters in its first week, and piled up $138 million in the span of Januay 7 - May 2.

Edit: Here's the poster that the theaters that showed it for a year got.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Just as a reference, ANH grossed 5.76TM domestically.

(That's 5.76x The Marvels, unadjusted for inflation.)

Adjusted brings that up to an even 20TM.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
And yes, this will be my fun new BO metric for a while.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
maroon barchetta

jokershady
AG
tk for tu juan
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Very cool.
Jim01
AG
Finally watched Ashoka.

I'll be honest, I'm not sure what else you could want from a SW show. It is up there right behind Andor and Mando S1 in the top 3.

I could understand not liking it if you didn't watch the cartoons, but, having just recently done so, I found it to me a great continuation of the Rebels story and crew. With Filoni writing, I felt the story was well done. It was logical from a plot point of view and made sense for the characters.

If I had to pick three nitpicks, it would be:

1. End of E1 was annoying. Either you just killed off a character the Rebels audience loves, or, once again, you've demystified the power of the light saber. Sure enough it was the second. I feel like they could have knocked her out in another way without her having to survive a saber through the belly. I was also weary of yet another map, but they wisely got rid of that in a couple episodes and moved on to the destination.

2. Loved that they got Thrawn voice actor to play him but his hair was a bit fake and he had a belly. Thrawn was always portrayed as disciplined in all aspects of his life and kept in shape.

3. I wish Ashoka had a little more playfulness. She is playful as hell in The Clone Wars, then grows up a bit in Rebels, but she is so serious in this. I wish she had just a little bit of a twinkle in her eye more.

But those are being picky. Overall I loved it and think it sets up great for a second season. Visually it looked cinematic. It didn't have the over digital/super clear look that some of the other series have had that makes practical effects and makeup look really bad. All the new actors were great as well. Also it low on fan service, which has been a complaint of recent SW. I haven't ventured to the Ashoka thread because I am sure there are some people butt hurt over casting even though they all very much looked the part.

Honestly kind of surprised the audience RT is under 70%. It was a great story and ride!
redline248
AG
Quote:

I haven't ventured to the Ashoka thread because I am sure there are some people butt hurt over casting even though they all very much looked the part.
I think only 1 or 2 people had REAL issues with the casting, and a couple smaller comments. In general the bigger complaints were Ahsoka's stoicism and Sabine getting to use the force
fig96
AG
redline248 said:

Quote:

I haven't ventured to the Ashoka thread because I am sure there are some people butt hurt over casting even though they all very much looked the part.
I think only 1 or 2 people had REAL issues with the casting, and a couple smaller comments. In general the bigger complaints were Ahsoka's stoicism and Sabine getting to use the force
I think it's not especially relevant to folks who weren't fans of or didn't watch the animated series.

I've seen Clone Wars and some of Rebels (trying to find time to finish it) and if I hadn't even had that knowledge I would've been pretty lost (and was still confused at times). I enjoyed it but didn't love it.
YouBet
AG
Pointless to watch Ashoka without having seen Clone Wars and Rebels. Might as well watch Empire without having seen Star Wars.
TCTTS
AG
The Porkchop Express
AG
Nice set of points. I think Ahsoak came around and was more herself after her encounter with Anakin in the World between worlds. But I also think she's seen so much death and caused so much death in a long lifetime, it can be tough to be that happy-go-lucky when you're down to angry Sabine, frustrated Hera, and contemplative Huyang as your circle of friends.
Sq1dvm
AG
Made a quick run to Disneyland last week, didn't see Mando, but ran into Ahsoka, Boba Fett and Fennec. Pretty cool.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Grain of salt required, but initial speculation (beyond the strike) is that this move would be part of the table-setting for the Filoni all-things New Republic film with Thrawn as the heavy.

On Friday, during the latest episode of The Hot Mic podcast, reporter Jeff Sneider (who co-hosts with John Rocha) dropped a Star Wars bomb on the Internet. He's hearing that, in the aftermath of the dual strikes, Lucasfilm is thinking about retooling the scripts for the fourth season of The Mandalorian and releasing the story as a movie instead.
bluefire579
AG
redline248 said:

Quote:

Including one dude calling them all ugly, as I recall
fig96
AG
Interesting but can't say I'm a fan. IMO what made Mando S1 so great was the serialized nature of it, it was a little Star Trek-y (blasphemy I realize) where they made their way through different adventures week by week. Star Wars had never done that before.

The bigger arcs in S2 and S3 and what they appear to be aiming for here are a very different direction.
The Porkchop Express
AG
I like it more as a show as well, but if they are trying to avoid Marvel's missteps of people needing to watch Ms Marvel and Wanda Vision to understand the Marvels, that would be good. When Filoni's movie comes out, it would be better to have some films that help a broader audience meet Mando, Grogu, Bo Katan, and Ahsoka, not just the D+ audience.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Special release for TPM's upcoming 25th anniversary.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Apparently the redemption of Ben Solo was never in the cards when Driver first signed on. Not surprised in the least.

https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2023/12/adam-driver-on-signing-to-play-kylo-ren-before-ben-solos-redemption-was-planned-that-was-never-a-part-of-it.html
Dekker_Lentz
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Apparently the redemption of Ben Solo was never in the cards when Driver first signed on. Not surprised in the least.

https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2023/12/adam-driver-on-signing-to-play-kylo-ren-before-ben-solos-redemption-was-planned-that-was-never-a-part-of-it.html
I think that is kinda wild.

Making Leia and Han's only child the ultimate villain that must be defeated, while creative, seems like a tough narrative to sell and land. I understand why they changed course. It also makes Adam Driver's performances make more sense.
Flashdiaz
AG
I still cannot grasp not having a general outline for the main characters in the story. How some of the execs still have a job is equally unfathomable.
maroon barchetta
When you possess the Panderstone you are immune from firings.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Flashdiaz said:

I still cannot grasp not having a general outline for the main characters in the story. How some of the execs still have a job is equally unfathomable.
It was inspired by A&M football.
maroon barchetta

jokershady
AG
Flashdiaz said:

i still believe there's a chance....

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
maroon barchetta

Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
maroon barchetta said:

That cat is thinking, I know where you sleep pal, you won't hear me coming when I come to rip out your throat.
Kate Beckett
AG
Want to share my completed Mando kit. I am now an official member of the Mando Mercs Costume Club, which does charity events and appearances. My name is Lau'ryn Ruuder (play on a certain Aggie's last name)

This is the Way.
The Porkchop Express
AG
So fantastic. Can't wait for the next domestic SW Celebration.
maroon barchetta
This is the way.
First Page Last Page
Page 1223 of 1297

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.