Star Wars Discussion Thread

6,603,259 Views | 45375 Replies | Last: 50 min ago by jokershady
JCRiley09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is it ever said that there are beings with zero midiclorians? Or is it possible that everything has the force (and midiclorians) passing through them. Some have more, some have less.

Like everyone can learn to swim but some people have crazy long arms and are naturally more suited for it
Chipotlemonger
AG
I always viewed it as somewhere in between this recent statement and the midichlorian stuff. The force was all around but some were more sensitive to it than others.

Similar to throwing a football or hitting a golf ball. Sure, everyone can do it. But some people have natural talent for certain things, and hard work can help but only do so much.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Yep this is what I'm thinking
JCRiley09
AG
Same wavelength
Belton Ag
AG
Quote:

Like everyone can learn to swim but some people have crazy long arms and are naturally more suited for it
Good analogy. Everyone can be taught to swim, but some people are naturally built to be better swimmers. Among the latter are people who work really hard at it and eventually become Michael Phelps.
redline248
AG
I think it's well established by now that even Lucas didn't care about his own rules. I mean, to some degree the idea is true that all beings "have" the force. Vader said in the very first Star Wars about Luke "the force is strong in this one." Which implies all the other pilots he was blasting were weak, but it was still there.

But it also set up the premise that some were born with a better chance of using the Force than others. Lucas later decided to double down on it with midichlorians being the reason, and yes everyone hated that, but it still basically separated individuals into strong or weak in the force. Further emphasizing the separation was when Qui-gon claimed that if Anakin had been born in a Republic planet the Jedi would have found him as a baby. How many trillions of people live in Coruscant? The Jedi were not scooping them all up and teaching them the force.

Rey being a "nobody" is a separate issue that resulted in how JJ Abrams and crew wrote her character. They are the ones that made it out like she was someone important in that entire film, but with no answer as to why. Johnson comes along and says, nah she's just a nobody. That build up not paying off is why people hated it. Not b/c she was a nobody (who in the end wasn't just a nobody, though, was she? Which reinforces the bloodlines thing). They could have started from the get go of her being a nobody that was strong in the force and no one would have cared.

I would liken it to playing sports. Everyone can learn to shoot a basketball or throw a football, but no amount of training and work is ever going to turn me into Joe Montana or even a 12 year average backup in the NFL.

I thought the whole reason to have Huyang tell Sabine, and the audience, that she sucked at using the force was b/c hard work was never gonna help. Just be ok with being who you are. And of course they didn't land on that.

tldr: it is stupid and it's not really that consistent with the movies
redline248
AG
I see some others beat me with some quick jabs while I was playing the 10 round, wear 'em down game
jokershady
AG
At least it's not measured this way…..

The Porkchop Express
AG
TCTTS said:

well-respected influencers
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
There's a pretty huge difference between midichlorians, and anybody can be a Jedi.

Star Wars was always about the idea that Jedi are uncommon and powerful. That's the reason Luke was so important.

I think the way they're approaching it now, explaining that natural ability and talent is a factor, is much better than just using midichlorian count.

Like mentioned above, it's just like sports. Michael Phelps is the best swimmer of all time, and no random person off the street is going to knock him off his perch even if they trained 24/7 for the rest of their lives. Some people just have the body and natural talent.
Flashdiaz
AG
It's like a football player being rated as a 5 star vs a 2-3 star. Jedi council was consumed with only ratings so they took in a 5 star in anakin based on rating alone who felt everything should be given to him due to his natural talent. The council probably overlooked hungry 3 star that were willing to put in the work the right way.
maroon barchetta
Anakin was spoiled by NIL money from Watto and the Huts's sponsorship of his pod racer.
Belton Ag
AG
Flashdiaz said:

It's like a football player being rated as a 5 star vs a 2-3 star. Jedi council was consumed with only ratings so they took in a 5 star in anakin based on rating alone who felt everything should be given to him due to his natural talent. The council probably overlooked hungry 3 star that were willing to put in the work the right way.
Anakin Skywalker = Kyler Murray?
SpreadsheetAg
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Anakin was spoiled by NIL money from Watto and the Huts's sponsorship of his pod racer.

He had force-privilege
The Porkchop Express
AG
Flashdiaz said:

What happens when the Jedi Temple loses a bunch of 5-star Jedi recruits to the Sith because the Grand Master is an idiot, but if they fire him, they have to pay him $76 million Republic Credits?
redline248
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Flashdiaz said:

What happens when the Jedi Temple loses a bunch of 5-star Jedi recruits to the Sith because the Grand Master is an idiot, but if they fire him, they have to pay him $76 million Republic Credits?
The republic couldn't afford to buy out Yoda and all the yes men he put on the council.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
YouBet
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

I always viewed it as somewhere in between this recent statement and the midichlorian stuff. The force was all around but some were more sensitive to it than others.

Similar to throwing a football or hitting a golf ball. Sure, everyone can do it. But some people have natural talent for certain things, and hard work can help but only do so much.

This is what I always thought. It's been a genetically implied ability for the entirety of Star Wars history regardless of that exchange with Lucas and Kasdan. Maybe he envisioned it as a learned ability but he implemented it as a genetic ability. And then double downed on it being genetic with midchlorians (unnecessarily dumb).

So I do understand the pushback on Filoni here especially since it was cheap the way it was done with Sabine.

In addition, if anyone could do it then there would be way more people that can do it. If you were born knowing you had the innate ability to develop superhuman skills and telepathy you would just ignore that and not try to develop it? Yeah, ok.
Dekker_Lentz
AG
In my head this is how it should work:

1. Almost everything has a connection to the force.

2. Almost everything can access the force to grant them additional power/abilities in rare circumstances. I.E. limited amounts of extra strength/extreme luck/rare moments of clarity/intuition, etc. But this happens seldom and with a lot of training and mental focus maybe it can happen more frequently in select areas, but it is still pretty rare.

3. Only a limited individuals are blessed/cursed to have a strong enough connection to the force to summon it at will. This can be enhanced/trained to certain levels. This connection can pass through bloodlines, but it does not always, nor does it have to.

4. Midiclorians don't generate the force, but are attracted to permanent strong connections to the Force. The stronger your natural ability the more Midiclorians can be found. Hence why they make a crude test to determine aptitude.

5. The force rejects "unnatural" things such as clones and zombies.

I think this provides a fairly straight forward set of guidelines.

Guardians of the Whills in Rogue One fall into rule 2.

Sabine fell into rule 3. But started at the bottom of the barrel.

A persons ability to summon the force at will can be severed. Turning a person under rule 3 into a person under rule 2. This can be overcome. I.E. Revan.

Rey is under rule 3. Her parentage could have been anything and this would be true.

The best individual under Rule 2, can almost access the force at will. But it would still fail them and isn't absolute. For example, I think Han Solo would be an example of a character at the high end of rule 2 boarding on a rule 3 character with his "incredible" luck. Wedge would not be, he is just an incredibly skilled pilot through naturally earned skills.

If anyone can become a Space Wizard at will, then the Star Wars story kinda falls apart.

TCTTS
AG
JCRiley09 said:

Is it ever said that there are beings with zero midiclorians? Or is it possible that everything has the force (and midiclorians) passing through them. Some have more, some have less.

This is what I'm going with.
TCTTS
AG

TCTTS said:

Ryan Arey hosts one of the most popular recap channels on YouTube (ScreenCrush), which most people here seem to love, while Van Lathan literally has an Oscar, and hosts one of the most popular recap podcasts (The Midnight Boys). Mock the label all you want, but both are massive Star Wars fans who are each well-respected and, technically, influencers.
The Porkchop Express
AG
TCTTS said:

TCTTS said:

Ryan Arey hosts one of the most popular recap channels on YouTube (ScreenCrush), which most people here seem to love, while Van Lathan literally has an Oscar, and hosts one of the most popular recap podcasts (The Midnight Boys). Mock the label all you want, but both are massive Star Wars fans who are each well-respected and, technically, influencers.
Sorry TC, it's my own bias to think that the term influencer is just ridiculously stupid.

Van Lathan is great, I listen to him with Bill Simmons on the Rewatchables.
redline248
AG
Damn, not even a single star on my long post
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
You'll mock the term "reactor", but are perfectly fine with influencer. That's an odd one.
TCTTS
AG
In no way am I pro influencer. I'm simply saying that's what they are.
maroon barchetta

jokershady
AG
Helmets too clean looking….must be big BoBF fans…..fail
BenTheGoodAg
AG
maroon barchetta
BenTheGoodAg said:

Gawd
jokershady
AG
And it's moments like this where you realize there will NEVER be a shortage of jokes to be made about Star Wars…and I'm completely fine with that…
TCTTS
AG
Andor season two likely moving to 2025. Due in part to the strikes, but also apparently because Disney/Lucasfilm doesn't want to release three live-action Star Wars series in the same year. Which means, at the very earliest, if Andor season two were to release January 2025, that would still be over two years between seasons (right around 26 months). For that reason alone, you would think it would make more sense to push either Skeleton Crew or The Acolyte to 2025 instead...

jokershady
AG
kdm_01
AG
I started watching Andor again last night. I had forgotten how fantastic it is.
Decay
AG
At least they learned something from ramming Solo into the lineup
ABATTBQ11
AG
I'm gonna go out an a limb and say at least one of those two will suck and they should bump them instead of Andor. That's just me being selfish though...
First Page Last Page
Page 1222 of 1297

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.