Star Wars Discussion Thread

6,604,091 Views | 45375 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by jokershady
Belton Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Collective said:

Red Five said:

Belton Ag said:

Speaking of VHS stuff, I have in my storage locker a VHS set of Eps 4, 5 & 6 that were given to me as a teenager some time in the late 1980's. This would have been before Lucas started messing with everything. I've always wanted to have them converted to DVD or digital.
Should have them converted to laserdisc for the optimal AV experience.

Insert ROTJ "Nooooooooooooooo"

It's glorious to see Vader not yelling anything, just lunges at Palps and throws him over the railing. Sadly I don't have a vhs player or I'd just watch those instead of streaming on Disney +.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Red Five said:

Belton Ag said:

Speaking of VHS stuff, I have in my storage locker a VHS set of Eps 4, 5 & 6 that were given to me as a teenager some time in the late 1980's. This would have been before Lucas started messing with everything. I've always wanted to have them converted to DVD or digital.
I actually have two versions of the original trilogy on laserdisc. The original versions, and then the first versions of his special editions.
YouBet
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Red Five said:

Belton Ag said:

I actually have two versions of the original trilogy on laserdisc. The original versions, and then the first versions of his special editions.
Lucky.
Aggie Therapist
AG
Laser discs lol

Those damn things
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Aggie Therapist said:

Laser discs lol

Those damn things
In 1993, I was in a doctor's office reading an entertainment magazine while waiting. There was a blurb about all this extra footage from Alien only available on this thing called laser disc. As huge a fan I am of the movie, I knew of all these extras but had never seen it. So I bought a player and that movie. That led to roughly $6K on equipment and movies over the next 5 years. Even worse, in the late 1990s DVDs came on the market, which were smaller and less expensive, and the Alien DVD had all that extra footage.

I still have a working player and all those discs. I'd love to get rid of them, but they are essentially worthless.

If only I had access to a flux capacitor so I could go back in time to kick younger me in the ass.
Aggie Therapist
AG
Yeah, I was born in 1989.

I remember going to Hollywood video and seeing those giant discs for rental. My dad took a hard pass on that but he went all in on DvDs and the Sony PlayStation.

And look now, everything is in the cloud.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Aggie Therapist said:

Laser discs lol

Those damn things
In 1993, I was in a doctor's office reading an entertainment magazine while waiting. There was a blurb about all this extra footage from Alien only available on this thing called laser disc. As huge a fan I am of the movie, I knew of all these extras but had never seen it. So I bought a player and that movie. That led to roughly $6K on equipment and movies over the next 5 years. Even worse, in the late 1990s DVDs came on the market, which were smaller and less expensive, and the Alien DVD had all that extra footage.

I still have a working player and all those discs. I'd love to get rid of them, but they are essentially worthless.

If only I had access to a flux capacitor so I could go back in time to kick younger me in the ass.

Why? This thread is all you need to read on converting DVD to Laserdisc

https://texags.com/forums/30/topics/792948
tk for tu juan

bluefire579
AG
I have that exact same box set. Got it for Christmas when I was in elementary school and have managed to hold onto it for all these years
Belton Ag
AG
What year is that from? The one I have has the three movie posters combined into one on the cover.
tk for tu juan
1995, it was a digital remaster set before the OT was re-released in theaters in the Lucas modified versions

Had the cool THX sound sweep
sburg2007
tk for tu juan said:

My parents had mine and chunked them all when they moved
SpreadsheetAg
AG
bluefire579 said:

I have that exact same box set. Got it for Christmas when I was in elementary school and have managed to hold onto it for all these years

Have the same; think I was in HS
The Porkchop Express
AG
sburg2007 said:

tk for tu juan said:

My mom donated all of my Kenner toys to Goodwill when I at a basketball camp in high school. I had a fleet that could have taken over several small countries
maroon barchetta
I probably got this from this board but don't remember.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Headed back to WDW on Saturday! Will post some Mando/Grogu/Hera/Ahsoka footage if we see them next week. I've promised my super fan I'll wait as long as we need to in order for her to get a selfie with Grogu
Aggie Therapist
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Headed back to WDW on Saturday! Will post some Mando/Grogu/Hera/Ahsoka footage if we see them next week. I've promised my super fan I'll wait as long as we need to in order for her to get a selfie with Grogu

Galaxy's Edge is amazing. 2 light sabers and 2 droids later….i want another saber from Savi's Workshop!
You’re not alone—the Veterans Crisis Line is here for you. You don’t have to be enrolled in VA benefits or health care to call.

Dial 988 Press 1
The Porkchop Express
AG
Aggie Therapist said:

The Porkchop Express said:

Galaxy's Edge is amazing. 2 light sabers and 2 droids later….i want another saber from Savi's Workshop!
WE did the droids, but I just can't justify the lightsaber for myself. Plus I gotta save up for that Thrawn painting.

Aggie Therapist
AG
That painting is sick.

The lightsaber build is an experience I will never forget. They definitely put some production into it. Worth the investment!
fig96
AG
Aggie Therapist said:

That painting is sick.

The lightsaber build is an experience I will never forget. They definitely put some production into it. Worth the investment!
I have a little guy who's not even walking yet, but that stop is definitely in the plans for a Disney trip 4-5 years down the line.
Jim01
AG
An update to my SW animated journey.

I finished Bad Batch and really enjoyed it. I like the ground work they are laying that may help flush out the sequel trilogy madness.

I also just finished Rebels today. Like Clone Wars it took a little while to get going. The animation style they chose was distractingly bad in those early episodes. Ezra in particular, looking like Sid the Science Kid. Most the supporting cast looked fine, and then Vader appears and looks like a cell shaded real life actor. Just very inconsistent animation. And then there was Kanon looking like a euro trash d bag with his slick hair, goatee and eyebrows. lol

Story wise I liked the Maul stuff a lot and of course Ashoka. I think the biggest struggle was Ezra/Kanon having to follow Ashoka/Anakin and failing. I didn't find Ezra nor Kanon very interesting at all at the beginning. The supporting characters were much better in the first two seasons.

Things turned towards the better in season 3 and coincidentally Ezra shaved his head and Kanon grew a beard and covered those eyebrows. A makeover all around! The last two seasons were strong and got me pumped to start Ashoka. My boys like to watch the new SW shows with me so that one might take a bit, fitting it in on random nights we are all free.
redline248
AG
The artwork for Vader was an intentional choice as tribute to some of the original art design for A New Hope, I believe

The Porkchop Express
AG
redline248 said:

The artwork for Vader was an intentional choice as tribute to some of the original art design for A New Hope, I believe

Indeed! And Zeb is the original art for chewie
YouBet
AG
sburg2007 said:

tk for tu juan said:

I voluntarily got rid of this exact set not that long ago because it felt pointless dragging around VHS tapes.

I deserve to be thrown into a Sarlacc Pit for this injustice.
fig96
AG
YouBet said:

sburg2007 said:

tk for tu juan said:

I voluntarily got rid of this exact set not that long ago because it felt pointless dragging around VHS tapes.

I deserve to be thrown into a Sarlacc Pit for this injustice.
Same...I also no longer have any way to play it.
OnlyForNow
AG
I've got a VHS/DVD player so if any of y'all are getting rid of it...
jokershady
AG
tk for tu juan said:

had this growing up!!! Hope my dad still does….

"From Star Wars to Jedi!"

*EXPLOSION*

IYKYK
goinjukin
I've managed to hang on to these for close to 30 years. I remember thinking it was so cool that you could get a widescreen movie on VHS.

tk for tu juan
I just got out Whataburgered. That widescreen version is nice
Rex Racer
AG
I have a widescreen version, but not in that nice package.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Best version:

Rex Racer
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Best version:

I used to have that one. Need to look for it. I might still.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
If you have a DVD burner I'd pay for copies
BenTheGoodAg
AG
It almost hurts just looking at them out of order in the sleeve. Thanks.
The Porkchop Express
AG
I bought all three of the OG's in 1988 with money from cutting the grass all summer. The A New Hope tape got mangled in my parents' VCR in horrific fashion that very same year, but I've held on to these two for the past 3-1/2 decades.

First Page Last Page
Page 1220 of 1297

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.