Star Wars Discussion Thread

6,608,536 Views | 45375 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by jokershady
powerbelly
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Am I the only one who feels like the best jedi stuff is the animated stuff?
TCTTS
AG
To Filoni's credit, the Ahsoka trailer *did* finally make me want to go back and watch at least the pertinent episodes of Rebels/Clone Wars this summer.
TCTTS
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

TCTTS said:

They don't invite them back to the next Celebration, or the next movie premiere, or the next press day, where they get to interview and interact with celebrities, etc. It's why it's the exact same journalists/personalities being invited by Disney to all of these Star Wars/Marvel events, and why you never read a negative reaction from any of them.
The problem is that most of those people aren't real journalists. At least not the way that the term should be used. Real journalists report the facts without injecting their opinions into them. They work for media outlets where the content they produce is in no way related to who advertises with their media out. I think there are about 12 real journalists left on the planet. Most publications don't really want that anymore. They want, breaking news, big opinions, and clickable headlines. Magazines and newspapers largely died 15-20 years ago, so most of them have had to scrap the "fair / balanced" shtick for clicks on web ads at all costs.

The independent bloggers, Twitter people, YouTube hosts, etc. want clicks on their websites so that they get paid by Google or whichever scheme they are using. So they can schmooze the powers that be and go ga-ga over everything and keep getting invited back or they can go the other way and crap on everything to get the other section of the audience that thrives on looking down on popular culture. It's a vicious cycle, but if it's profitable, people aren't going to stop doing it.

So very few people are motivated to just report the news and let the audience form their own opinion. Because nobody is going to Re-Tweet "Star Wars adds 3 new shows to Disney+" lineup, but they will definitely Re-Tweet "Jude Law's New Star Wars Series a TOTAL DISASTER".

For my 2 cents, that's why I never worry much about a review for good or ill. The only set of eyeballs I really trust to tell me if the show is worth my time or not are mine.

"Journalist" was probably the wrong word. I don't consider them journalists either, and yeah, overall, I agree.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This priest's reactions never fail to make me happy.

fig96
AG
powerbelly said:

Genndy Tartakovsky's 2D Clone Wars series ftw.
jeffk
AG
Love that little show's run. I always laugh a little when someone complains about a Jedi seeming overpowered in another show because it's obvious they never saw that OG Clone Wars toon.
AliasMan02
AG
powerbelly said:

Yes because no love action show has ever really convincingly pulled off any sort of "super jump" like are so convincing in TCW and Rebels.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Im pissed!!!!

I'm going to be on a work trip overseas the whole time ROTJ is in theaters...
wangus12
AG
jeffk said:

Love that little show's run. I always laugh a little when someone complains about a Jedi seeming overpowered in another show because it's obvious they never saw that OG Clone Wars toon.
Mace vs. 1 whole army
redline248
AG
AliasMan02 said:

powerbelly said:

Yes because no love action show has ever really convincingly pulled off any sort of "super jump" like are so convincing in TCW and Rebels.
Yeah, but we also got spinning lightsabers that can be used like helicopters, which is pretty ridiculous
redline248
AG
wangus12 said:

jeffk said:

Mace vs. 1 whole army
yeah, think about this and then remember how many Jedi died at Geonosis
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
wangus12 said:

jeffk said:

Mace vs. 1 whole army

Freaking love this scene.

BenTheGoodAg
AG
AliasMan02
AG
redline248 said:

AliasMan02 said:

powerbelly said:

Yeah, but we also got spinning lightsabers that can be used like helicopters, which is pretty ridiculous

Filoni low point, probably.
redline248
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

wangus12 said:

jeffk said:

Mace vs. 1 whole army

It's about as ridiculous as anything can get.
YouBet
AG
TCTTS said:

True, but even out of the handful of episodes I've seen, some of them felt directly aimed at ten-year-olds. Like Saturday-morning-cartoon type of stuff. Also, most people associate animated content with kids. There are always exceptions, of course, but this isn't some weird take.

Agreed but you have to power through. Trust me. I did not like the first several episodes of either show especially Rebels.

Clone Wars got incredible. Ashoka is all-time character because of a cartoon amazingly enough.

Rebels never approached TCW but it's great in its own right. We got some great characters out of it - Chopper and Hera in my book especially the latter.
The Porkchop Express
AG
We are all being short sighted about Disney's marketing power. They have ABC, disney Jr, ABC family, etc. They can start rolling out mando, bobf, and ahsoka seasons on basic cable in a couple of years and get everyone hyped about the movie. They already play mando episodes for free when you stay at a disney resort
Life is better with a beagle
redline248
AG
I wouldn't exactly call that "for free"
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Anyone willing to post a list of the essential Rebels arcs to prepare for Ahsoka?
redline248
AG
It might be easier to just go to the Ahsoka essential episodes list in Disney+ and skip to the rebels ones
Farmer1906
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

wangus12 said:

jeffk said:

Mace vs. 1 whole army

The power scale was destroyed but it was such a fantastic little show. One of my favorites in all of Star Wars.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
redline248 said:

It might be easier to just go to the Ahsoka essential episodes list in Disney+ and skip to the rebels ones

Ah, didn't know about that. Thanks.
redline248
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

redline248 said:

Ah, didn't know about that. Thanks.
Sure.

It occurred to me that you asked for essential arcs, but not necessarily Ahsoka episodes. That changes the answer. Since Thrawn and Sabine and Hera and - presumably - Ezra are gonna be in the show you might want to expand your list from what I said before.

That would take me or someone else a little longer to figure out "essential"
BenTheGoodAg
AG
I didn't come up with this list, but I think it's a good one - Link - Rebels Essentials
AliasMan02
AG
This came up on Twitter. What arcs do you want?

I'd like to see a mix of adaptations and originals. Like a chunk of the Anakin/Thrawn team up or Dark Disciple (originally intended for TCW anyway) would be great adaptations.

The suggestions by The SWU are all good, too.
redline248
AG
Funny you mention Dark Disciple, as I was just skimming some info about Ventress and that book a couple hours ago. I've never read it, but after reading the synopsis I can say that I probably never will.

I have a real issue with the whole premise of the Jedi contracting out a bounty hunter/former (sort of) Sith to help one of their own go murder Dooku
redline248
AG
To your question, though, I'd totally be in for some Luke/Ben stories.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
TCTTS said:

Pretty sure that I read that Lucas originally wanted Spielberg to direct ROTJ but Spielberg declined, stating that was " George's baby" or something like that
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Ok, if I had a time machine I'd want to be at this party.

https://instagr.am/p/CqzE0y7LqGg
AliasMan02
AG
Carrie took the picture.
AliasMan02
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

TCTTS said:

Pretty sure that I read that Lucas originally wanted Spielberg to direct ROTJ but Spielberg declined, stating that was " George's baby" or something like that

I think I heard the opposite, that Spielberg wanted to direct (I always assumed because AotC was so bad) but Lucas couldn't let it go.
AliasMan02
AG
redline248 said:

Funny you mention Dark Disciple, as I was just skimming some info about Ventress and that book a couple hours ago. I've never read it, but after reading the synopsis I can say that I probably never will.

I have a real issue with the whole premise of the Jedi contracting out a bounty hunter/former (sort of) Sith to help one of their own go murder Dooku

I liked Dark Disciple. Would have been a great TCW arc. I'm a sucker for Ventures, though. One of my favorites.
TCTTS
AG
Relevant…

jeffk
AG
redline248 said:

To your question, though, I'd totally be in for some Luke/Ben stories.

Especially if every episode contains a scene where Luke contemplates killing Ben.
First Page Last Page
Page 1194 of 1297

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.