Star Wars Discussion Thread

6,609,913 Views | 45381 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by jokershady
powerbelly
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Rose is cringier than Jar Jar.

There, I said it.

No question
redline248
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

There, I said it.
Oh man, you are really putting me in a tough spot on this one...I hate her so much, but at least she can talk.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

It just comes off a little ungrateful and entitled, imho. I think there are better ways to air out your grievances, maybe a little less spiteful, and without playing the race card.

This should be a general rule for all of society... it kind of describes his generation to a tee...
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
redline248 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

There, I said it.
Oh man, you are really putting me in a tough spot on this one...I hate her so much, but at least she can talk.
Jar Jar at least served a critical purpose, whereas Rose was just a waste of everyone's time.
The Porkchop Express
AG
I need a fan edit of Jar Jar in all Rose's scenes. Other than kissing Finn, I think he wouldn't be much of a drop off.

Plus Jar Jar running around Snoke's command ship would be pretty great.
TCTTS
AG
Creepy pic aside, Skelton Crew is utilizing some serious heavyweights...

- Created by John Watts, who directed the last three Spider-Man movies, and will presumably direct a number of episodes here.

- Everything Everywhere All at Once directors The Daniels, who just won the Oscar for Best Director(s), will also direct an episode.

- And now David Lowery has just been announced, who directed Ain't Them Bodies Saints, Pete's Dragon, A Ghost Story, The Old Man & the Gun, and The Green Knight.

For an Amblin-esque, kid-centric space adventure, this is not at all what I was expecting, and happily so...

TCTTS
AG
Speaking of, Celebration is a week away, and here's what I'm expecting...

LOWERED-EXPECTATIONS SCENARIO:

- First trailer for Ahsoka, released online, summer release date announced.
- First trailer for Skeleton Crew, but *not* released online.
- Behind-the-scenes look at The Acolyte, but *not* released online.
- Behind-the-scenes look at Andor season two, but *not* released online.
- Official announcement of the (formerly) Damon Lindelof / (currently) Steven Knight Star Wars movie, set for December 2025, directed by Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy.

MAXIMUM HYPE SCENARIO:

- First trailer for Ahsoka, released online, summer release date announced.
- First trailer for Skeleton Crew, released online.
- Behind-the-scenes look at The Acolyte, released online.
- Behind-the-scenes look at Andor season two, released online.
- Official announcement of the (formerly) Damon Lindelof / (currently) Steven Knight Star Wars movie, set for December 2025, directed by Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy.
- Rumored official announcement of *two additional* Star Wars movies.
YouBet
AG
AliasMan02 said:

Dude was told he was the new star of the Star Wars franchise. He may not always handle it well, but he really got shafted.

Is that true though? I don't remember. I would have assumed Rey was that future. Or were they both meant to be, originally?

Actually, I'm not sure why I'm asking or posting about it because the ST never happened and is not canon.
AliasMan02
AG
YouBet said:

AliasMan02 said:

Dude was told he was the new star of the Star Wars franchise. He may not always handle it well, but he really got shafted.

Is that true though? I don't remember. I would have assumed Rey was that future. Or were they both meant to be, originally?

Actually, I'm not sure why I'm asking or posting about it because the ST never happened and is not canon.

Yeah when JJ called him to tell him he got the part, he said, "Congratulations, you're the new star of Star Wars" or something close to that. At least, that's how Boyega tells it.

We know that when he was cast they didn't even have a real script, so it's possible that was the plan but it changed as it developed.
YouBet
AG
AliasMan02 said:

YouBet said:

AliasMan02 said:

Yeah when JJ called him to tell him he got the part, he said, "Congratulations, you're the new star of Star Wars" or something close to that. At least, that's how Boyega tells it.

We know that when he was cast they didn't even have a real script, so it's possible that was the plan but it changed as it developed.

$100 says this entire years long saga was a simple misunderstanding.

JJs actual comment: "Congratulations, you're a new star of Star Wars."

TCTTS
AG
AliasMan02 said:

YouBet said:

AliasMan02 said:

I'm betting it was more this. They were writing that thing on the fly, barely had a completed script by the time they started filming, and then it apparently kept changing throughout production.

Lucas himself originally pitched two new stars/leads, a male and a female, around the same age, who go on an adventure together. So that's where that originally came from. Though, his pitch seemed to eventually lean more toward the female role at one point, as she's the one who eventually meets Luke in seclusion, just like in TLJ. Then Michael Arndt's first draft kept that two-lead aspect in play, though there are no real details about the exact dynamic (I would kill to read that draft). Either way, when Abrams and Kasdan took over, they carried over the two-lead aspect as well, and I'm guessing they figured they'd land on one of them as the outright lead at some point, but then seemingly kept hedging their bets, and kept giving them equal billing, until finally giving Rey the nod in the third act. In other words, it was a jumbled mess from the inception, and no one along the way - from Lucas to Arndt to Abrams/Kasdan - ever thought, "Hey, we should probably just give this movie one, distinct lead, like 99% of all movies that have ever been made."

The tell is in the opening sequence, which introduces FINN first, albeit behind a mask, showing his dynamic with the villain, then we continue following Finn to the Star Destroyer, where it's established that he's different/has a conscience. Just about any other movie would make *that* person - and *that* character's plight - the main focus of the story. But then we suddenly cut to this girl on Jakku, and start following her, then *she* starts to feel like the lead, and from then on out it's a two-hander all the way until basically the end of the third act, when Rey force-grabs the lightsaber. In other words, the movie literally plays as if they had planned to write Finn as the lead, but then they started to find Rey more interesting for whatever reason (she's a Mystery Box!), but kept stringing Finn along until the end where they were finally like, "F/ck it, it's Rey's movie now."

Granted, Ridley and Boyega are so damn good that we're able to invest purely based on their combined charm, but the shaky, wishy-washy structure ultimately collapses in on itself in the end.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Highest level of Expectation from Celebration

Kathleen Kennedy steps down and names The Porkchop Express as her successor.

Porkchop immediately greenlights three projects:

Brian Earl Spilner's script for "Padme Unchained: Erotic Tales from the Nubian Handmaidens"

DIsney+ limited series "Who's the Bossk?" Hilarity ensues when Bossk, Dengar, Zuckuss, and 4LOM are accidentally forced to live together in a small apartment on the Upper West Side of Monument Plaza on Coruscant.

"Knights of the Old Republic" - Trilogy of movies sequencings the Jedi-Mandalorian War, the corruption of Revan, and his redemption to the ways of the Jedi. Starring Ron Pearlman as Candeous Ordo, James Marsden (or Patrick Wilson) as Carth Onasi, Idris Elba as Jolee Bindo, Gal Gadot as Bastilla Shan, The Porkchop Express as Zalbaar the Wookie, and Mark Hamill as the voice of HK-47
maroon barchetta
If Lucas writes the script for Padme Unchained, at least the dialogue will be on par with the dialogue of most erotica.
Saxsoon
AG
maroon barchetta said:

If Lucas writes the script for Padme Unchained, at least the dialogue will be on par with the dialogue of most erotica.
We also know how he feels about bras in space
cbr
AG
TCTTS said:

AliasMan02 said:

YouBet said:

AliasMan02 said:

I'm betting it was more this. They were writing that thing on the fly, barely had a completed script by the time they started filming, and then it apparently kept changing throughout production.

Lucas himself originally pitched two new stars/leads, a male and a female, around the same age, who go on an adventure together. So that's where that originally came from. Though, his pitch seemed to eventually lean more toward the female role at one point, as she's the one who eventually meets Luke in seclusion, just like in TLJ. Then Michael Arndt's first draft kept that two-lead aspect in play, though there are no real details about the exact dynamic (I would kill to read that draft). Either way, when Abrams and Kasdan took over, they carried over the two-lead aspect as well, and I'm guessing they figured they'd land on one of them as the outright lead at some point, but then seemingly kept hedging their bets, and kept giving them equal billing, until finally giving Rey the nod in the third act. In other words, it was a jumbled mess from the inception, and no one along the way - from Lucas to Arndt to Abrams/Kasdan - ever thought, "Hey, we should probably just give this movie one, distinct lead, like 99% of all movies that have ever been made."

The tell is in the opening sequence, which introduces FINN first, albeit behind a mask, showing his dynamic with the villain, then we continue following Finn to the Star Destroyer, where it's established that he's different/has a conscience. Just about any other movie would make *that* person - and *that* character's plight - the main focus of the story. But then we suddenly cut to this girl on Jakku, and start following her, then *she* starts to feel like the lead, and from then on out it's a two-hander all the way until basically the end of the third act, when Rey force-grabs the lightsaber. In other words, the movie literally plays as if they had planned to write Finn as the lead, but then they started to find Rey more interesting for whatever reason (she's a Mystery Box!), but kept stringing Finn along until the end where they were finally like, "F/ck it, it's Rey's movie now."

Granted, Ridley and Boyega are so damn good that we're able to invest purely based on their combined charm, but the shaky, wishy-washy structure ultimately collapses in on itself in the end.
Well, i was following the mess part, but wait;

Boyega has charm or was good!? i've never heard anyone think that. I didnt hate tfa, a lot of it was mildly enjoyable with great music and effects, just faded into a wasted opportunity and a literal joke of a reboot of sw. Some good characters including rey and the bot, but i thought boyega was irrelevant, random, and incredibly annoying - every bit as bad as jar jar binx.
AliasMan02
AG
Finished Fallen Star yesterday.

The biggest triumph of the High Republic project is how well it has been planned. The major beats were obviously there from the very beginning because you can look back and see the groundwork laid in the very first novels coming to fruition now that we're on the third tentpole novel, plus all the comics and junior novels and audio dramas they've produced. This is despite probably a dozen authors or more all contributing. MCU-esque.

They do a really good job of weaving in storylines and characters without overdoing it. There's almost never a "why is this person even in this story?" type of moment like you get with a lot of crossovers.

Highly recommend at least the major novels for Star Wars fans. The junior novels (written on a Harry Potter sort of level of sophistication) and audio dramas are also good and worth consuming, as they're all short.
jokershady
AG
TCTTS said:

AliasMan02 said:

YouBet said:

AliasMan02 said:

just remember….it wasn't until around the 30 minute mark when Luke Skywalker was introduced in ANH…..

Just sayin…..
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Highest level of Expectation from Celebration

Kathleen Kennedy steps down and names The Porkchop Express as her successor.

Porkchop immediately greenlights three projects:

Brian Earl Spilner's script for "Padme Unchained: Erotic Tales from the Nubian Handmaidens"

DIsney+ limited series "Who's the Bossk?" Hilarity ensues when Bossk, Dengar, Zuckuss, and 4LOM are accidentally forced to live together in a small apartment on the Upper West Side of Monument Plaza on Coruscant.

"Knights of the Old Republic" - Trilogy of movies sequencings the Jedi-Mandalorian War, the corruption of Revan, and his redemption to the ways of the Jedi. Starring Ron Pearlman as Candeous Ordo, James Marsden (or Patrick Wilson) as Carth Onasi, Idris Elba as Jolee Bindo, Gal Gadot as Bastilla Shan, The Porkchop Express as Zalbaar the Wookie, and Mark Hamill as the voice of HK-47

jokershady
AG
Hey! When you gonna update the OP??
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Updated to remove all the shows and movies we've lost along the way.

Also, it really bugs me that the OP is flagged and the image never shows.
The Porkchop Express
AG
I thought Boyega was a blast in TFA, especially when he shared the screen with Harrison Ford. Rian Johnson didn't seem to know what to do with him.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Yea I thought Boyega and Daisy were good in TFA. The main issues in the series were out of their control.
The Collective
AG
Go back and watch all of the trailers / marketing for TFA. There is reason to believe he might be the guy or at least 1b.
TCTTS
AG
That's another good point. He's in the first shot of the very first trailer.
maroon barchetta
TCTTS said:

Looks like more diverse marketing. Star Wars had a lack of BIPOC major characters in the past (unless you count aliens). Lando was pretty much it.

Putting Boyega in the forefront of the trailers was probably intentional. Pull in customers that might have otherwise said "Meh, it's more pasty space wizards with British accents".

Also, my phone corrected "Lando" to "Mando".
YouBet
AG
maroon barchetta said:

TCTTS said:

Looks like more diverse marketing. Star Wars had a lack of BIPOC major characters in the past (unless you count aliens). Lando was pretty much it.

Putting Boyega in the forefront of the trailers was probably intentional. Pull in customers that might have otherwise said "Meh, it's more pasty space wizards with British accents".

Also, my phone corrected "Lando" to "Mando".

Racist.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, you're probably right.
YouBet
AG
I liked Boyega. Way the hell better than Kwisatz Hadarach Rey.

Shame he was misused and then downgraded into horsesh^t romance subplot with Rose.
Chipotlemonger
AG
YouBet said:

Kwisatz Hadarach Rey.

This was gold
jokershady
AG
Holy crap! Watching the breakdown of s3 e5 of The Mandalorian and it was just revealed to me that the Ghost was present in Rogue One during the battle of Scariff!

As if I didn't need another reason to love Rogue One more than any film ever….they just gave me one more!
sburg2007
I didn't catch that at all. Where was that?
Ambres
AG
sburg2007 said:

I didn't catch that at all. Where was that?
Before they leave. for the battle of scarif. you hear them call General Syndulla .. assume they mean Hera

The Ghost is also on Yavin 4, at the great temple, and can be seen when Jyn Erso and Cassian Andor take off for Jedha
jokershady
AG
No no the ship is actually there!

I'll post the YouTube video and put the time stamp on it
jokershady
AG
Here it is!

Skip to 4:10!

The Porkchop Express
AG
Stuff starting to come out about Ahsoka with Celebration less than a week away but will continue with spoiler tags until some official announcements.

Ray Stevenson's character is sounding more and more like he was inspired by Joruus C'baoth from Heir to the Empire and is working directly with Thrawn
First Page Last Page
Page 1187 of 1297

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.