Star Wars Discussion Thread

6,612,080 Views | 45385 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by maroon barchetta
AliasMan02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

Here's a good mental exercise... What's worse, the sequel trilogy or the Christmas Special? If you could erase one from history? Which would it be?

It's unfair because with time, the Christmas Special bore a lot of fruit.

Ultimately the ST will do the same. Other creators will build on the good stuff and the worst will fade. It's almost certain that the ST characters will get another chance to shine in a much better movie, if not the Lindelof film, then another in the near future.

All that said, the Christmas Special is worse taken on its own merits, by a lot.
powerbelly
AG
AliasMan02 said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

Here's a good mental exercise... What's worse, the sequel trilogy or the Christmas Special? If you could erase one from history? Which would it be?

It's unfair because with time, the Christmas Special bore a lot of fruit.

Ultimately the ST will do the same. Other creators will build on the good stuff and the worst will fade. It's almost certain that the ST characters will get another chance to shine in a much better movie, if not the Lindelof film, then another in the near future.

All that said, the Christmas Special is worse taken on its own merits, by a lot.

The Christmas special is charmingly bad. The ST trilogy is much worse because of the wasted potential.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Bingo
The Porkchop Express
AG
Without the success of the sequel trilogy, you never get Rogue One, Mando, or Andor.
Life is better with a beagle
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Without the success of the prequel trilogy, you never get the sequel trilogy.
YouBet
AG
Without Boomers and Gen X, y'all wouldn't have any Star Wars at all.

Suck it young people.
maroon barchetta
YouBet said:

Without Boomers and Gen X, y'all wouldn't have any Star Wars at all.

Suck it young people.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I 100% agree! And without the prequels, the connective tissue of Mando, Obi-Wan, Tales of the Jedi, and BOBF doesn't exist. Nothing is perfect, but if you can find the best parts of things and amplify them into new context, you get a franchise that is 4 years away from half a CENTURY of worldwide popularity.
Ambres
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

I 100% agree! And without the prequels, the connective tissue of Mando, Obi-Wan, Tales of the Jedi, and BOBF doesn't exist. Nothing is perfect, but if you can find the best parts of things and amplify them into new context, you get a franchise that is 4 years away from half a CENTURY of worldwide popularity.
Well to be fair .. w/o Timothy Zahn Heir to the Empire we would not have the prequel.. that series in 1991 brought to life the EU that generated the fan base back to life after almost 8 years of stagnant production. I will always be grateful for that series and had hope that the sequel series lined up closer.

Note: I still believe that they could adopt a version of this movie in the sequel timeline w/ Rey replacing Luke.. a clone of Mace Windu instead of Jarrus. Thrawn would be an amazing in the big screen. Poe can take the smuggler adventure for Hans.
Saxsoon
AG
Ambres said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Well to be fair .. w/o Timothy Zahn Heir to the Empire we would not have the prequel.. that series in 1991 brought to life the EU that generated the fan base back to life after almost 8 years of stagnant production. I will always be grateful for that series and had hope that the sequel series lined up closer.

Note: I still believe that they could adopt a version of this movie in the sequel timeline w/ Rey replacing Luke.. a clone of Mace Windu instead of Jarrus. Thrawn would be an amazing in the big screen. Poe can take the smuggler adventure for Hans.
To be even more fair, we wouldn't have something to ***** about without A New Hope, think about that for a second
ABATTBQ11
AG

Without the success of the sequel trilogy, you never get Rogue One, Mando, or Andor.

I wouldn't call the ST successful. Financially, yes, but that has more to do with the franchise than the movies. Even Disney realized that it seriously damaged the brand after Solo basically flopped. That's why the whole, "A Star Wars Story" thing basically died. It really put them on their back foot, and I think if Mando wasn't the success it was, we wouldn't have anything SW.
AliasMan02
AG

Brian Earl Spilner said:

This is the sort of thing I'm talking about that will eventually come out of the ST.
The Porkchop Express
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

I wouldn't call the ST successful. Financially, yes, but that has more to do with the franchise than the movies. Even Disney realized that it seriously damaged the brand after Solo basically flopped. That's why the whole, "A Star Wars Story" thing basically died. It really put them on their back foot, and I think if Mando wasn't the success it was, we wouldn't have anything SW.
Well, I respectfully disagree as I love the ST, but to each their own.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
So awesome.

The Porkchop Express
AG
Great find! And there's like 10 more including a Palpatine v. JEdi!
The Porkchop Express
AG
There's some filming news and a few photos on Bespin Bulletin and Making Star Wars today about some Andor filming location, including one that speculates that our favorite Rebel spy might be heading for Naboo in Season 2. This seems unlikely, but I would love some sort of Star Wars story in any medium where a spy like Cassian is tasked with trying to unravel who Palpatine is and how he came to power.
jokershady
AG

There's some filming news and a few photos on Bespin Bulletin and Making Star Wars today about some Andor filming location, including one that speculates that our favorite Rebel spy might be heading for Naboo in Season 2. This seems unlikely, but I would love some sort of Star Wars story in any medium where a spy like Cassian is tasked with trying to unravel who Palpatine is and how he came to power.
Thatd be cool…but do the Rebels really even know about the emperor?

In the ANH the emperor isn't even mentioned other than I think one or two sentences by Vader.

In ESB we first see him as a projection speaking to Vader but still isn't mentioned by Yoda or force ghost Obiwan.

It's not until RofJ where he's mentioned by Obiwan after Yoda dies when he says, "Then the Emperor has already won."

I might be missing an item or two but outside of the Jedi themselves youve pretty much never heard "Emperor" mentioned referring to him as an actual Sith
maroon barchetta
Agreed.
TCTTS
AG
jokershady said:

In the ANH the emperor isn't even mentioned other than I think one or two sentences by Vader.

In ESB we first see him as a projection speaking to Vader but still isn't mentioned by Yoda or force ghost Obiwan.

It's not until RofJ where he's mentioned by Obiwan after Yoda dies when he says, "Then the Emperor has already won."

I might be missing an item or two but outside of the Jedi themselves youve pretty much never heard "Emperor" mentioned referring to him as an actual Sith

Mon Mothma mentions "Emperor Palpatine" multiple times in Andor. Plus... he's the official emperor of the galaxy. How would the Rebels *not* know who he is?
The Porkchop Express
AG
Plus he's Senator Palpatine from Naboo by 32 BBY. Surely there were records of where he came from. In the novel Darth Plagueis, he's the sole survivor of a terrible space tragedy for his family, and by tragedy, I mean that he kills them all. I can't see what kind of conclusion a story like that would have, but backtracking where he came from and being able to realize he's a Sith somewhere along the way and that they would need to try to bring the remaining Jedi back (Ahsoka and/or Obi-Wan) to fight him would be neat. Probably a better comic book than a show.
TXAG 05
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Could do without both
jokershady
AG
TCTTS said:

jokershady said:

Mon Mothma mentions "Emperor Palpatine" multiple times in Andor. Plus... he's the official emperor of the galaxy. How would the Rebels *not* know who he is?
Sorry didn't make things clear.

Yes, you're correct that people know him as Emperor Palpatine. But does that mean THE EMPEROR that's in charge of the entire Empire and boss to Darth Vader?

Or…..and this was where I was going with this….

Does most people just know him as Emperor Palpatine, the guy who was the senator of Naboo who became Chancellor….who then helped create the clone army to defeat the separatists….who was then captured then saved by the Jedi only to be betrayed by the Jedi and win the war against the separatists and the Jedi traitors?

That's my point….really only the Jedi (the very few that are left) know who he REALLY is and everyone else just buys that he's the head dude in charge and not evil….
The Porkchop Express
AG
jokershady said:

TCTTS said:

jokershady said:

Sorry didn't make things clear.

Yes, you're correct that people know him as Emperor Palpatine. But does that mean THE EMPEROR that's in charge of the entire Empire and boss to Darth Vader?

Or…..and this was where I was going with this….

Does most people just know him as Emperor Palpatine, the guy who was the senator of Naboo who became Chancellor….who then helped create the clone army to defeat the separatists….who was then captured then saved by the Jedi only to be betrayed by the Jedi and win the war against the separatists and the Jedi traitors?

That's my point….really only the Jedi (the very few that are left) know who he REALLY is and everyone else just buys that he's the head dude in charge and not evil….
But you have to believe Bail Organa knows what's going on, he was working with Obi-Wan and Yoda and Order 66 happened and saved them both. He's not just going to keep it to himself. If you watched the latest Bad Batch with Palpatine, you see how stunned Bail Organa is when Palpatine appears in the Senate chamber, he definitely knows who he really is.

Clearly Mon Mothma also knows what he's capable of or she wouldn't be so passionate and so cautious about it.
Dekker_Lentz
AG

I just finished the Shadow of the Sith novel and while objectively it was a good book, it only served to re-sharpen my dislike of the sequel trilogy. The book really just heightened how disjointed the three movies are and how poorly handled Rise of Skywalker actually is.

Watching everyone of the original trilogy characters fail is something that will always leave a bitter taste.

But I was left with a random thought:

Would people tolerate a reboot/remake of all 9 Skywalker movies if it lead to a coherent story?

Make the Sith Eternal the actual villain and the Emperor their final master? Tighten up the timelines, change elements, and make it a cohesive whole?

I am not sure I advocate for it, but it seems like there is an interesting skeleton of a story between the trilogies, that was really hindered by how they were made.

Would you start with Episode 1?

My thought is release the first movie in 2027 and release about one a year until the story is done. Take about a decade.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Dekker_Lentz said:

I just finished the Shadow of the Sith novel and while objectively it was a good book, it only served to re-sharpen my dislike of the sequel trilogy. The book really just heightened how disjointed the three movies are and how poorly handled Rise of Skywalker actually is.

Watching everyone of the original trilogy characters fail is something that will always leave a bitter taste.

Would people tolerate a reboot/remake of all 9 Skywalker movies if it lead to a coherent story?

Make the Sith Eternal the actual villain and the Emperor their final master? Tighten up the timelines, change elements, and make it a cohesive whole?

I am not sure I advocate for it, but it seems like there is an interesting skeleton of a story between the trilogies, that was really hindered by how they were made.

My thought is release the first movie in 2027 and release about one a year until the story is done. Take about a decade.
Unfortunately, I'm the wrong guy to ask because I love the Rise of the Skywalker. I'll leave it to the detractors to sort out your query.
Dekker_Lentz
AG

Unfortunately, I'm the wrong guy to ask because I love the Rise of the Skywalker. I'll leave it to the detractors to sort out your query.

No thoughts on if Star Wars should/could be rebooted?

I did mean this as an attack. Just a thought that the three trilogies could visually and story wise mesh better if made as an actual set of nine movies telling one story across three generations. I am just sure the fans would be receptive.
redline248
AG
I don't think all of Star Wars needs a reboot. The originals, while not perfect, are untouchable in my mind.

The prequels, I think, have a straight forward and consistent story. My personal complaints have always been the poor direction that led to poor delivery by actors in many scenes. Jar Jar should be just a normal Gungan and not a blithering idiot. None of that makes me want to completely reboot.

Are the inconsistencies between prequel and original? Sure. But I think Palpatine manipulating everything, including Anakin and the Jedi, is fine. There is no need for some other Sith villain.

The sequels are utter trash. Even the good one (TFA) is worsened by the existence of the other 2. Reboot those yesterday.
jokershady
AG
Dekker_Lentz said:

The Porkchop Express
AG
Dekker_Lentz said:

No thoughts on if Star Wars should/could be rebooted?

I did mean this as an attack. Just a thought that the three trilogies could visually and story wise mesh better if made as an actual set of nine movies telling one story across three generations. I am just sure the fans would be receptive.
I never would want to see them remade. I just turned 49 so if they want to do it after I'm dead, no problem, but the blow back on remaking the original trilogy alone would doom any idea of that ever happening at least as far as I can see.
Malachi Constant
AG
Just noticed this thread had its ninth birthday last month.
YouBet
AG
I don't care to see the PT rebooted. It was good enough. And the OT can't be rebooted. They could reboot the ST and I would give it a shot because I don't consider it canon as is. It doesn't exist as as far as I'm concerned.

All we currently have after ROTJ is The Mandalorian and it's seemingly self-contained sister shows.
AliasMan02
AG
A reboot of sorts would be totally fine, but not a straight reboot. Tell the story from a non-Skywalker perspective, but one that links it all up. Begin with the end in mind with the Sith Eternal being set up from the jump, as far back as the Episode 1 timeline. Have nine movies, a true saga, but don't have them align straight with the existing trilogies, but mostly fall into the gaps. The Sith would be the strongest connective tissue.

Top of my head:

1. Qui-Gon and Sifo-Diyas pursuing Dark Side relics as young knights, with SD's increasingly dark prophetic visions fueling QG's concerns about a growing Dark Side threat. We see Dooku as a young master and mentor to QG and SD. Introduce the machinations of Darth Plageous and his preference for wealth vs political power.

2. QG is a master and off training Kenobi. Without QG's help, SD's visions are manipulated by the apprentice Sidious into creating the clone army. Dooku is a heroic figure, who takes SD's visions and QG's concerns seriously as he investigates the Sith. We get a glimpse of Maul here, just a Sith assassin and not yet a true apprentice. Include Sidious's murder of Plageous and make it clear Sidious is possessed and his power increased by the long line of Sith.

3. Sidious completes his seduction of Dooku. SD is now completely mad and his visions a tool for Sidious, and it's those visions of a hopeless future that convinces Dooku the war is necessary. This may just be a great venue for the Dark Disciple storyline of Ventures and Quinlan Vos.

4. Dark Times. Vader hunting Jedi. We see Inquisitors more than Vader, and some surviving Jedi planning some sort of vengeful attack on Vader, maybe led by Vos.

5. Vader learning that Luke is his son prior to Empire, Luke pursuing Jedi knowledge in a quest storyline, culminating in an adaptation of Vader Down or maybe some Dash Rendar. The Emperor plotting to replace Vader, including some early cloning attempts.

6. Not sure, here. A very early New Republic story with badass Luke fighting the Imperial Remnant, which is getting support from somewhere and maybe even some rogue Dark Jedi from the unseen Eternal.

7. Jedi Academy. Young Ben Solo and Luke in an ensemble adventure. Lost in the Unknown Regions, maybe. Luke first starts to suspect something is happening and looks for Exegol.

8. Jedi Academy 2. Luke struggling, Ben turning to Snoke and the legends of the Sith after learning his lineage tied to Vader.

9. Jedi Academy 3, with Rey trying to teach and coming to terms with Luke's struggles.

The sequel stuff is pretty weak but you get the idea
Dekker_Lentz
AG
AliasMan02 said:

(snip)

I agree with this approach, if it was done.

It seems like the general consensus is the OT is untouchable and the PT is "good enough". My thinking is one of things that hindered the ST was shoehorning in the OT actors and the limitations that put on the story. So if the ST was rebooted with different actors playing the OT characters, should those actors be used to reboot 1-6?

Which lead to the next question, would people even entertain such an idea, which the answer seems clearly to be no.

Personally, I wish they would spend the next few years telling Old Republic stories where they would have a blank canvas of sorts or jump way into the future. But it doesn't seem likely as Disney seems content to mine nostalgia stories in and around the Skywalker saga.
redline248
AG
Quote:

make it clear Sidious is possessed and his power increased by the long line of Sith.
hard pass. Probably one of the worst things to come out of the sequels was that stupid idea.

One of the beauties of the originals is the idea that the dark side, for all it's flashy show of power, can't come close to those in the light. "Strike me down and I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine."

The Sith don't get the luxury of hanging around forever...especially not all of them, when they didn't even know about it at the rise of the Empire.
AliasMan02
AG
I agree, but my approach was just sticking with the canon and explaining it in a more consistent way.

Alternately, they could make 9 more movies like above, but every one involves a new Death Star.
First Page Last Page
Page 1175 of 1297

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.