Star Wars Discussion Thread

6,639,629 Views | 45410 Replies | Last: 22 hrs ago by TCTTS
Chipotlemonger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'll counter your actors with a few more comedic options.

How about William H. Macy, Vince Vaughan, Will Farrell, or Owen Wilson?

Now THAT I would pay to see.
redline248
AG
Yo. tctts is writing Jolee Bindo

(I 100% don't remember that character's story)
redline248
AG
By the way, when dealing with Star Wars, Lucasfilm is probably going to have the exact answer to your question locked away, somewhere, meaning you won't get to make something up.

Then again, Rian Johnson and JJ got to just make sh-t up.
TCTTS
AG
Oh, I'm sure. But for a pitch you can basically say whatever. Then, on the off chance they actually buy it, that's when you start connecting all those dots officially.
jackie childs
TCTTS said:

Thanks for the responses, everyone. Seeing as there isn't a concrete, go-to answer tells me I can basically make something up. I like the idea that SpreadsheetAg mentioned in that Jedi essentially look inward to right wrongs, might go on walkabouts to re-center, etc. So if there's not an "official" Jedi "rehab" program/location, this particular Jedi could essentially be sent to some random planet known for its serenity or healing powers or walkabouts or whatever. And it's less of an official thing and more of a "go here and seek out this place or person" kind of thing.

Once at this planet, though, I need X, Y, and Z to happen, so it becomes less about the rehab itself and more about something unexpected going on behind the scenes; something secret and nefarious going on with the war.

And yes, while this character and Qui-Gon would be somewhat similar, I see this character as having way more disdain for the current state of affairs, is more disgruntled, curmudgeon, etc, and we actually see him fall off the wagon, in his introduction. My comps are Denzel Washington, Russell Crowe, or Javier Bardem - basically a big-name actor in their 50s/60s.
haven't been following this thread lately, but reading your description, the guy i thought of was jeffrey dean morgan.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

I'll counter your actors with a few more comedic options.

How about William H. Macy, Vince Vaughan, Will Farrell, or Owen Wilson?

Now THAT I would pay to see.

How about Carrot Top?
Life is better with a beagle
jokershady
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

How about (slightly older I think and retired) DDL? Would pay to see him as a disgruntled Jedi.
hell id pay good money for the documentary on making the film and how he somehow found a way to method act as a disgruntled Jedi
jokershady
AG
TCTTS said:

My guy isn't dabbling with the Dark Side. Also, in a weird way, compared to my guy, Docku actually has his sh*t together.
so we're uh….just gonna let this one slide huh?
YouBet
AG
TCTTS said:

Oh, I'm sure. But for a pitch you can basically say whatever. Then, on the off chance they actually buy it, that's when you start connecting all those dots officially.
Will assume these dots include ready to go scripts that replace the ST once you get your foot in the door?

TCTTS
AG
jokershady said:

TCTTS said:

My guy isn't dabbling with the Dark Side. Also, in a weird way, compared to my guy, Docku actually has his sh*t together.
so we're uh….just gonna let this one slide huh?

Dooku!

Typo, not a misspelling.

You're talking to the guy who wrote the Episode II Scriptment for theforce.net!

I was out here on these streets spelling Dooku before some of you hit puberty!

The Collective
AG
All I can think of are those pitch meeting youtube vids when I start to picture this all going down. "A Jedi in rehab is tight"
The Porkchop Express
AG
I know you don't read ... the novels or anything, but Dooku's early life is pretty similar to what you are describing. He gets disgusted with the bureaucracy and the "fat" of the Republic and tries to combat it from within, but the Jedi Council has become servants of the Republic not servants of the Force. While Dooku does obviously become a Sith over time, his intentions early on are to use the Dark Side and Sidious as tools to rebuild the Republic the way it ought to be. In the great ROTS novelization by Matt Stover, Palpatine has sold him on a plan where Sidious would rule the government and Dooku would be the only Jedi Master, with Anakin as the leader of a Sith Army.
TCTTS
AG
Oh, wow, that's pretty interesting. I wish some of that were more apparent in the movie.
AliasMan02
AG
Pablo has the best job in the world.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
In TC's defense, there's a bunch of behind the scenes stuff where Lucas calls Dooku "Doh-ku" and the Gungans "Goon-gas", so even the creator himself changes stuff around.
The Porkchop Express
AG
TCTTS said:

Oh, wow, that's pretty interesting. I wish some of that were more apparent in the movie.

He yells "this is a the result of a bureaucracy eating itself" but you don't notice it because Yoda is flipping around everywhere.
TCTTS
Decay
AG
His message does get a little muddied when he tries to kill all the Jedi but they'd basically be considered "on the Emperor's side" anyway since Palpatine is building the Imperial Army. So Dooku's trying to save the galaxy by killing all the good guys and allying with the bad guys. Also the Trade Federation and those allies are all on the right side because they oppose the Emperor. But they're pawns of him too so they're also the bad guys. So like, everyone is the bad guys so whoever opposes them is good? So it was good that the trade federation and all the Jedi died. And then when Palpatine came into power everyone could correctly pick sides again. Oh and Luke and Leia killed Padme because she was such a big part of turning Anakin to the dark side so that's how they're good.
Saxsoon
AG
jackie childs said:

TCTTS said:

Thanks for the responses, everyone. Seeing as there isn't a concrete, go-to answer tells me I can basically make something up. I like the idea that SpreadsheetAg mentioned in that Jedi essentially look inward to right wrongs, might go on walkabouts to re-center, etc. So if there's not an "official" Jedi "rehab" program/location, this particular Jedi could essentially be sent to some random planet known for its serenity or healing powers or walkabouts or whatever. And it's less of an official thing and more of a "go here and seek out this place or person" kind of thing.

Once at this planet, though, I need X, Y, and Z to happen, so it becomes less about the rehab itself and more about something unexpected going on behind the scenes; something secret and nefarious going on with the war.

And yes, while this character and Qui-Gon would be somewhat similar, I see this character as having way more disdain for the current state of affairs, is more disgruntled, curmudgeon, etc, and we actually see him fall off the wagon, in his introduction. My comps are Denzel Washington, Russell Crowe, or Javier Bardem - basically a big-name actor in their 50s/60s.
haven't been following this thread lately, but reading your description, the guy i thought of was jeffrey dean morgan.
JDM would be gooooood
TCTTS
AG
I really like him as an actor, but I'd first want to swing for the fences in terms of star power.
Dekker_Lentz
AG
TCTTS said:

I really like him as an actor, but I'd first want to swing for the fences in terms of star power.

Have you thought about the Jedi just being a burnout? Like Keanu Reeves? I have thought a Jedi so overwhelmed with interconnection of life would be a different take just completely burned out of empathy, but not evil per se. Just tired.

The problem I see with a more aged former action hero is it hard not see them not falling to the dark side.

Also, Idris Elba would crush it on the previous prompt. He can walk that hero/villain line.
TCTTS
AG
I think he can be a little bit of both. Somewhat of burnout *and* fed up with what the Jedi have become. Either way, with how I'm playing it, the dark side really won't come into play much. Not only do I have zero interest in the whole tempted-by-the-dark-side thing, since we've seen that a million times, it'll be beyond apparent that he's a Jedi purist who longs for what they once were and what they stood for, to the point where crossing over isn't an option for him. Plus, it's all about who he gets saddled with on this journey, and what he has to ultimately become for that character.
redline248
AG
You mean like Luke in TLJ?
TCTTS
AG
No, not like Luke.

I just need to quit talking about it, because I can't say more, and thus can't specify exactly what separates the characters.
redline248
AG
It was a joke, man
TCTTS
AG
Yes, I know. Like the fifth one along the same lines. Hence me just needing to shut up about it. As you were...
The Porkchop Express
AG
When the movie finally gets made, Zac Efron will be the lead.
TCTTS
AG
You're a cycle behind. Efron's cool again.
The Porkchop Express
AG
TCTTS said:

You're a cycle behind. Efron's cool again.
Uh, when was he NOT cool?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
17 Again
The Porkchop Express
AG
TC pitching him the movie.

PatAg
AG
TCTTS said:

No, not like Luke.

I just need to quit talking about it, because I can't say more, and thus can't specify exactly what separates the characters.
I'm imagining a Michael Shannon in Boardwalk Empire type character
In reply to
AG
I've been binging the Star Wars comics on Marvel Unlimited, so I'll keep an eye out on potential locations.
TCTTS
Dekker_Lentz
AG
redline248 said:

You mean like Luke in TLJ?

This is a pretty good point. I think where I would see the difference is TLJ suggested Luke started closing himself off after he almost attempt to kill Ben Solo. I think the official position is after he drew his saber he realized he couldn't do it and was about to put it up when Ben Solo awoke and things unraveled.

Where as I see this character as more voluntarily quitting. There is no real triggering event, just burned on carrying the burden of the force and the Jedi for 30 years. Maybe even make them a Jedi scholar instead of a Jedi Knight.

Not necessarily a warrior tired of fighting the good fight. Just tired of the whole thing because it is a difficult job.
First Page Last Page
Page 1143 of 1298

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.