Star Wars Discussion Thread

6,645,159 Views | 45410 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by TCTTS
kdm_01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
redline248 said:

Which High Republic books are good? I have Light of the Jedi...which one is next? Aren't a few of them suited for kids or young adults? I don't want any of those.

Interested also. I read Light but wasn't particularly impressed. Read the YA one that was released about the same time and it was totally forgettable for me.
bluefire579
AG
Well this is ****ing adorable

AliasMan02
AG
redline248 said:

Which High Republic books are good? I have Light of the Jedi...which one is next? Aren't a few of them suited for kids or young adults? I don't want any of those.

You can probably stick to the primary books for adults. I'm behind but do the YA books as well. They do intro a LOT of characters and events in the YA books, though.

Best thing about Light of the Jedi was how high the stakes were. It was definitely a "set the stage" type book and the actual content improves in Into the Dark.
TCTTS
AG
Neither endorsing nor condemning...

Saxsoon
AG
TCTTS said:

I honestly thought the Luke wasn't my Luke was one of the saddest and most embarrassing takes on TLJ.
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
Ag Since 83
AG
Replies off? Dang, not even worth a popcorn GIF
redline248
AG
Bryan Young is like the people in the Lego Movie.

Saxsoon
AG
redline248 said:

Bryan Young is like the people in the Lego Movie.

He dismantled every argument with stuff from the original films
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
AliasMan02
AG
I was seriously considering writing up my thoughts on the Luke arc in a separate thread so I could always refer back to it, in response to red's comment to me earlier and so as not to detail, but he does a good job of it. He probably gives too much credit to JJ in spots.

I'll say the same thing another way. When you deconstruct TFA in regard to Luke, there's nowhere to end up OTHER than with TLJ Luke. Cutting off from the Force was essential. Having him stranded was essential. Having him trying desperately to "not get involved" was essential. It's the only thing that salvages the Luke we love.

Because if he WASN'T cut off from the Force, hiding as a hermit, stranded on an unknown world with no way back, then he would have KNOWN:
1. Of his nephew's rise in darkness
2. Of Han's death
3. Of Leia's desperate search for him
And most importantly 4. Of the destruction of all of the Hosnian system

And if he KNEW those things, then in TFA he CHOSE to stay sidelined and do nothing. To let evil and the Dark Side win over and over.

THAT would be unacceptable. He HAD to be cut off. There HAD to be no way for him to leave the island. And given all those things, his most incredible act was to be the hero he resented himself for becoming and saving the Resistance while confronting his fallen pupil, just like Obi-Wan did.

If you don't like TLJ Luke, I get that. I do. But blame JJ. RJ's Luke was perfectly executed.
TCTTS
AG
Agreed. I've never really had a problem with RJ's depiction of Luke (save for killing him off a movie too soon). It's what Lucas intended with his vision of episode seven before he sold Lucasfilm, it's what Abrams set up, and what Johnson then did the best he could with. My dislike of TLJ has almost everything to do with the Poe/Holdo/Finn/Rose stuff, which is just so bad.

All that said, if starting Episode 7 from scratch, would I have taken Luke in a different direction? Yes.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TROS is where the trilogy really went off the rails and it soured me on the whole trilogy.

That said, tossing the lightsaber was still ****ing dumb.
redline248
AG
I don't have a problem with Luke cutting himself off as a result of his failure to teach Ben. I have a problem with the reason for Ben going completely over being Luke lighting his saber to kill him in his sleep. Luke could have considered the possibility and dismissed it in any number of ways that were less aggressive. Hell, have him do like Obi-Wan when he tried to talk Anakin back, knowing it was too late. It sort of worked on Vader, why not start there again?

I disagree with his comparison to Luke reacting to a direct provocation by Vader threatening Leia. It's not really the same.

His "If you could go back in time and stop baby Hitler..." analogy is fine for regular old people. Not a Jedi master that walked the line of the Dark Side and rejected it, already.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

The Porkchop Express
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

TROS is where the trilogy really went off the rails and it soured me on the whole trilogy.

That said, tossing the lightsaber was still ****ing dumb.
Life is better with a beagle
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Not sure why you're trying to single me out like I brought it up out of the blue.

Also someone criticizes Star Wars and here you come white knighting as usual.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Not sure why you're trying to single me out like I brought it up out of the blue.

Also someone criticizes Star Wars and here you come white knighting as usual.
I just thought it was a funny gif. I'm not trying to single you out. I like you.

And I've given up trying to defend Star Wars. It's not my fault everyone else is stupid and doesn't get it.
redline248
AG
Look , Star Wars is awesome. That doesn't mean it's perfect.
Decay
AG
Trying to say Canto Bight was important because it showed some kids secretly like the Force was a huge stretch. Also, who cares if that sets up the finale.

"You don't get this" and then shows the stupid ending to TROS. Well darn that would have been terrible.
jokershady
AG
Has this been posted here? Apparently a slip of the younger of Favruea confirms Mando season 4

The Collective
AG
The Porkchop Express
AG
The Collective said:

Yikes, Greedo has gotten some work done.
The Collective
AG
Duncan Idaho
helloimustbegoing said:

The Collective said:

Yikes, Greedo has gotten some work done.

Racist...I mean do all rodians look a like to you?
bluefire579
AG
Duncan Idaho
It would be like the extended family Thanksgivings, i went to growing up when the kid comes home from college and fights with everyone.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

Well now we need a Baby Boba show starring that kid.
Duncan Idaho
Stole the post below from Reddit but damned if it isn't what I want to see
-----------------------------

I want a Lando Calrissian TV series in which each episode starts out With Billy Dee Williams playing Cards in a dive cantina with some of the finest scum and villainy before telling a Story and Donald Glover takes over.

As young Lando Enacting the story. Occasionally interrupted by people at the table saying it didn't go that way or Billy is embellishing. Have Billy Dee be the Narrator.

I think this could be a great vehicle for exploring the gritty underworld of Star Wars. I think Glover and Billy Dee williams both have so much natural charisma they would do a fantastic job telling a story together.

Thoughts?

Ps screw it it can't hurt, it's always been my dream to Write and be a creative for Star Wars!

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWars/comments/v7vraz/i_want_a_lando_calrissian_tv_series_in_which_each/
The Porkchop Express
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Stole the post below from Reddit but damned if it isn't what I want to see
-----------------------------

I want a Lando Calrissian TV series in which each episode starts out With Billy Dee Williams playing Cards in a dive cantina with some of the finest scum and villainy before telling a Story and Donald Glover takes over.

As young Lando Enacting the story. Occasionally interrupted by people at the table saying it didn't go that way or Billy is embellishing. Have Billy Dee be the Narrator.

I think this could be a great vehicle for exploring the gritty underworld of Star Wars. I think Glover and Billy Dee williams both have so much natural charisma they would do a fantastic job telling a story together.

Thoughts?

Ps screw it it can't hurt, it's always been my dream to Write and be a creative for Star Wars!

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWars/comments/v7vraz/i_want_a_lando_calrissian_tv_series_in_which_each/
Sounds like Young Indiana Jones.
LPHA
AG
I was in high school when that came, then went. It was great fun!
maroon barchetta
Young Sherlock Holmes >>>>> young Indiana Jones
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
redline248
AG
Ok. As happens from time to time Youtube will suggest a video that grabs ones attention. This one is a "sword master" rating sword fights in movies/shows. The 2nd one in this video is from Rebels, and I just love it.

Start about 2:14
PatAg
AG
TCTTS said:

Read it, some good points, a lot of bad
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Saw this on one of our Slack boards this morning (yes, we have a Slack board dedicated to Star Wars discussions). Don't recall seeing it posted here previously.

I figure there will be a lot of build-up for this, and then it will massively disappoint some of the regulars here.
JCRiley09
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

I figure there will be a lot of build-up for this, and then it will massively disappoint some of the regulars here.

I had to take the Obi Wan thread off my watchlist. Some people just can't allow themselves to enjoy something.
First Page Last Page
Page 1122 of 1298

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.