Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,527 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by TCTTS
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
SpreadsheetAg
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Ahhhh, Jacob Holdman... I can see the "kick me" sign from here.
Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.

Steve McQueen
Urban Ag
AG
AlphaCharlieUniformAggie said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Ahhhh, Jacob Holdman... I can see the "kick me" sign from here.
Nope. Look at that kid. Straight up baller.

He gets it.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Holy ***** Rian Johnson, the nicest guy in Hollywood, is fed up. That says a lot.
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
It will be interesting from a clinical therapy standpoint to see how many members of the cast have drinking problems or relocated to Paraguay 5 years from now.

If I was still doing research like in gradschool I think it'd be interesting to to study these sh_t talkers, though how to quantify being an a__hole on a 5 point likert scale might be tough.

Steve McQueen
The Collective
AG
Surely some troll will ask why Tran needs a dude to defend her honor, right?
SpreadsheetAg
AG
CJS4715 said:

Surely some troll will ask why Tran needs a dude to defend her honor, right?

So tempted
FL_Ag1998
AG
I'm not sure why this much incredulity is being expressed over this Tran harassment by Star Wars zealots - this behavior is not relegated just to film fanboys, nor is it new.

This is society in general today, brought to you by social media, which has given every single person on the planet (should they choose to participate) an anonymous voice that they can use to be as mean and crude as they want to be with no repercussions. If this "social media experiment" was rerun 1000 times does anybody seriously think it would turn out any different? It would turn out the exact same way every time because with anonymity people lose their inhibitions that otherwise might cause them to not to vent their ugly inner thoughts of jealousy, bitterness, pettiness, and self-self-righteousness. It causes people to think that just because they have an opinion that the rest of the world should be subjected to that opinion. And it's caused people to think that because they have this metaphorical megaphone then their opinions must be catered to.

I thank God that I grew up in the days before social media and I'll gladly remain a troglodyte if it means not being subjected to the daily random thoughts of fan boys, or 16 year-olds with no world experience preaching how our government should be run, or C-list celebs who have some magical insight on true happiness.
Saxsoon
AG
It is pretty ****ing disgusting.

And there were plenty of posts on here saying she wasn't hot enough just adding more to the ****pile
TCTTS
AG
To me, the only answer - and it wouldn't solve it, but might help - is to somehow make it so that you can only register your real name for social accounts. I would be 100% for this. No more hiding anonymously. Your Facebook, Twitter, Instagram - heck, even something like TexAgs - would all have to display your real name and you can only have one of each. Basically, like an online fingerprint where everything you say publicly can be traced back to you, while of course still allowing privacy when it comes to browsing, purchases, etc. Granted, I can already think of a dozen reasons why this wouldn't work, and there are obviously tons of non-personal, non-business accounts that sit somewhere in the middle and actually provide a real service, but I don't know what else to do. Basically, the internet needs a massive overhaul that is simply less transparent and holds people more accountable to a degree, but without involving government oversight. I just have no idea how to accomplish something like that.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
People should just be ****ing decent.

Would solve 99% of the world's problems.
Farmer1906
AG
Yeah no. That's not a great idea.
TCTTS
AG
Farmer1906 said:

WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO HIDE, "FARMER1906"???!!! YOU'RE NOT REALLY A FARMER, ARE YOU???
TCTTS
AG
Farmer1906
AG
TCTTS said:

Farmer1906 said:

WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO HIDE, "FARMER1906"???!!! YOU'RE NOT REALLY A FARMER, ARE YOU???

Just not a fan of someone telling me what to do (in this case the government). If business and corporations like twitter want to make that their rule then I have the option to use it or not.
dave94
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quote:

"I saved you, dummy. That's how we're gonna win. Not fighting what we hate, saving what we love."
This line, aside from being cheesy AF, always bugged me.

Sure, you saved Finn, but you doomed the ENTIRE RESISTANCE who is holed up behind the steel door.
One thing I've still never seen anyone really consider when talking about how dumb it was for Rose to stop Finn...do we really think that little speeder was going to make it all the way and destroy the cannon? It was already suffering major damage, so I never thought he had a shot.
PaulSimonsGhost
AG

Steve McQueen
The Collective
AG
TCTTS said:

Shaming used to work. I didn't want anyone to know I liked Star Wars after that.
TCTTS
AG
Farmer1906 said:

TCTTS said:

Farmer1906 said:

Just not a fan of someone telling me what to do (in this case the government). If business and corporations like twitter want to make that their rule then I have the option to use it or not.
I was kidding with that second part, but yeah, I literally mentioned "no government oversight" in my original post.
Farmer1906
AG
I finished most wanted today. It was easily better than Last Shot but still just okay. They made Han too much of a nice guy and we're really over the top with saying how much he just goes off his gut while qira was a planner. It gave nice back story for Solo and I enjoyed it.
TCTTS
AG

PaulSimonsGhost
AG
Meh.

Tim Doyle can suck it and if you got an address I'll tell it to his face.

Scratch that, he probably lives in Portland - I'll just call him.

Steve McQueen
Buck Compton
AG
Urban Ag
AG
TCTTS said:

balls deeps on the money

yes, this please

fig96
AG

Meh.

Not the most compelling argument to the contrary. Nor does stereotyping where he lives make you seem especially open minded.
Coog97
It's time for the Star Wars fan to end.
corleoneAg99
AG
The Tim Doyle tweets make some good points but when the OG Superman or even Harry Potter were made, just for example, there wasn't the media or social media coverage of movies that we have now. You could watch the movie and take away from it what you wanted instead of being constantly bombarded by entertainment media talking about the political themes and narratives of the movie, whether those themes and narratives pass whatever the current woke test is, and making that the main focus of the movie versus whether or not it was a good movie or not.

That has only been ramped up over the past several years, and both the growth in social media and our current political climate are the root causes IMO, but it's also Hollywood's need IMO to make sure what they put out(especially tent pole stuff) checks off significant boxes on the social justice checklist because if it doesn't, current movie review culture will crush the movie whether it's actually good/fun/entertaining/well made or not. IMO it's also because Hollywood in general has a liberal bent and that mindset is more apt to think those themes need to be present and not necessarily subtly. While often well intentioned and/or well produced, sometimes folks just want to unplug, watch and movie, and not be lectured/reminded yet again about what the political issues of the day are. Why? Because it's literally present everywhere else. Home, work, the internet, sports....it's everywhere. And so if I just want to watch a Star Wars movie sans a poorly placed 20 minute detour solely so a character can give a speech about how rich people suck, I don't think that makes me an unreasonable person or trying to ignore the issues of the day. The issues of the day get plenty of attention everywhere else in our lives.

And that's only going one way, obviously. So the easy way to solve the issue is to self regulate how much of it you take in. Entertainment media isn't all bad and it has added some great insight and other good things over the years and by self selecting who I read/listen to, I can control my movie viewing experience and have as much escapism in play as I want. I wish people would do that versus finding Kelly Marie Tran on Twitter or Instagram and being awful to her because they thought her character and/or storyline in TLJ was bad.
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
fig96 said:

Meh.

Not the most compelling argument to the contrary. Nor does stereotyping where he lives make you seem especially open minded.

[Sigh]

FINE! I'll be adult about it.

I grew up raised in the Church and I recognize the patterns of selfrighteous pontificating for the glorification of self in that tweet.

I also think Doyle's is guilty of reading what he wants into these films. Then he steps back and says (paraphrasing), "I "get it" and you don't; you're idiots and I'm morally superior."

But notice how he makes sure to mention EVERY disenfranchised cause. As if though he wanted to cover every just cause to earn maximum brownie points. That seems very contrived and disingenuous.

Finally, I really think the guy is just seeing what he wants. In Church I heard that The Marrix was also a metaphor. Neo was Jesus who died and was resurrected to save the world from Satan (the machines) who held the world captive. Morpheus was the herald John the Baptist, the bald guy was Judas, Zion was, well Zion/ Heaven.

Maybe the writers went to Catholic school so the concepts were in their head, but the sequels showed evangelism was not their hidden agenda. It was JUST a movie.

Superman was a metaphor but not a social justice one. As a child the creator's father was shot and murdered and he wanted a a hero who couldn't die (faster than a speeding bullet) and make sure bad guys never got away.

Ask Stan Lee the origin of a lot of his characters and he'll say, "I thought it'd be cool".

So I disagreed.

But "suck it" was easier. I said Portland because I love Portlandia and I can see that guy being in a sketch.

If I offended you personally it wasn't my intent.

Gig'em

Steve McQueen
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

Maybe the writers went to Catholic school so the concepts were in their head, but the sequels showed evangelism was not their hidden agenda. It was JUST a movie.
How so? Strongly disagree there.

Now, not saying it was their ONLY influence. There were many influences, but Christianity was a pretty major one.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Urban Ag said:

TCTTS said:

balls deeps on the money

yes, this please

Let's not pretend the prequels didn't get **** on for 10 years. More so than any of the Disney era.
First Page Last Page
Page 720 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.