Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,887,093 Views | 43964 Replies | Last: 28 min ago by Brian Earl Spilner
Saul Goodman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thursday night at 7pm at a Regal theater here in Austin. Standard 2D (I hate 3D).

The Bob Bullock IMAX is showing it in 2D, but seats aren't reserved and I just don't have the time to wait for an hour+ to get good seats. Will probably see it there after the big crowds die down.
The Collective
AG
Friday @ 7 pm. Cinemark XD (2D) in Fort Worth.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quote:

I totally forgot how, the first time it's fired, everyone on Maz's planet can see it destroying the Republic capital, of which there is almost zero weight paid to in the moment.
I agree with this.

There was very little weight given to that moment, where 5 planets are destroyed. Planets we've never seen before and given little to no information on.

Hell, when I first watched it, I thought they had destroyed Coruscant at first.
Wait, Coruscant wasn't one of those planets? Did the Republic set up a new capital planet? This is another maddening thing about TFA... no context/explanation for anything. I get that the plot needed to go go go, and was already faced with a relatively difficult balancing act, but if ever a movie needed like a three-minute, "here's what happened over the past 30 years..." scene, it was this one.
TCTTS
AG
Seeing TLJ Thursday at 7 PM PST. The ArcLight in Hollywood. Glorious 2D.
gougler08
AG
TCTTS said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quote:

I totally forgot how, the first time it's fired, everyone on Maz's planet can see it destroying the Republic capital, of which there is almost zero weight paid to in the moment.
I agree with this.

There was very little weight given to that moment, where 5 planets are destroyed. Planets we've never seen before and given little to no information on.

Wait, Coruscant wasn't one of those planets? Did the Republic set up a new capital planet? This is another maddening thing about TFA... no context/explanation for anything. I get that the plot needed to go go go, and was already faced with a relatively difficult balancing act, but if ever a movie needed like a three-minute, "here's what happened over the past 30 years..." scene, it was this one.

Yeah I assumed the very populated planet that was destroyed was Coruscant as well...that's news to me
Farmer1906
AG
TCTTS said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quote:

I agree with this.

They set it up on Mon Motha's home planet, Chandrila. I thought everyone knew that. (sarcasm)

Edit: actually it rotated based on elections, apparently. See no one really knows anything.
TCTTS
AG
I don't read the books/comics. Nor should I to have to know something like that.
ChipFTAC01
AG
I think, but am not certain, that in some of the EU it explains that the senate basically split and those cosy with the first order left Coruscant. And for some reason that's the planet blown up by Starkiller
Farmer1906
AG
TCTTS said:

I don't read the books/comics. Nor should I to have to know something like that.
I agree, but if there never going to explore those planets and the politics of the galaxy then do we need to know more than that was where the Senate/Government was?
TCTTS
AG
The perfect opportunity for a historical data dump would have been on the Falcon when Han was talking to Rey and Finn about the Jedi being real. There's that scene in Man of Steel where Jor-El's hologram shows Clark the history of his people with a nifty, expositional, visual presentation. Han could have easily called up some kind of holographic, historical record presentation from BB-8 and talked about what happened post-Jedi, the rise of The First Order, that "elections shifted from Coruscant to a series of capital planets in order to ensure..." whatever, etc. Could have woven that in perfectly with his already-existing talk of Luke's exile.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
TCTTS said:

The perfect opportunity for a historical data dump would have been on the Falcon when Han was talking to Rey and Finn about the Jedi being real. There's that scene in Man of Steel where Jor-El's hologram shows Clark the history of his people with a nifty, expositional, visual presentation. Han could have easily called up some kind of holographic, historical record presentation from BB-8 and talked about what happened post-Jedi, the rise of The First Order, that "elections shifted from Coruscant to a series of capital planets in order to ensure..." whatever, etc. Could have woven that in perfectly with his already-existing talk of Luke's exile.
That's a great idea. Maybe in 20 years they can cut that in as part of a special edition.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Yeah, and I thought about this as I was posting. But I guess even that had a tiny bit more weight to it, seeing Leia's reaction to the destruction of her home planet, and Obi-Wan reacting to it as well.

In TFA, we basically get one shot from Hosnian Prime, a quick reaction shot outside Maz's Castle and Finn saying "The First Order, they've done this", and that's that.
To a certain degree, I let it go. Finn was the only one who knew what was happening, and his flight instincts kicked in big time. There was some pretty good fear there IIRC from him. Everyone else was just confused, not having a clue of what was going on. It's a bit of a contrast to ANH where Leia had an idea of what was going on, and Kenobi felt it.

I do wonder if Rey felt it though, given how in tune with the Force she appeared to be in the movie. I just don't remember if we did.
wangus12
AG
6 pm Cinemark Legacy in Plano

Opening Fan Night. I just noticed on my email that it doesn't show my seat selection. This is strange.
Farmer1906
AG
wangus12 said:

Opening Fan Night. I just noticed on my email that it doesn't show my seat selection. This is strange.

Sure it's reserved?
jokershady
AG
How Star Wars was saved in the edit. Wow! If you have 20 minutes I highly encourage watching this!

It's no secret a lot of people had their hand in making changes to George Lucas's original ideas for Star Wars to make it what it is today. But holy crap I never knew how much editing took place. Especially the ending of the film.

Take a look it's quite interesting. This was released on YouTube a few days ago.

Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Saturday morning at 8:45. Cinemark XD in College Station.
fig96
AG

wangus12
AG
Farmer1906 said:

wangus12 said:

Sure it's reserved?
I know that Cinemark does reserved seating. Maybe not for this showing since its the Opening Fan Night thing. I did get on there and it when you try to purchase tickets it goes to a reserve seat screen (the only 2 available are for wheelchairs).

I'll swing by there after work and see whats up. Worse case scenario, its not official, I take a wheel chair from my clinic and buy the wheelchair seat
Farmer1906
AG
wangus12 said:

Farmer1906 said:

wangus12 said:

Sure it's reserved?
I know that Cinemark does reserved seating. Maybe not for this showing since its the Opening Fan Night thing. I did get on there and it when you try to purchase tickets it goes to a reserve seat screen (the only 2 available are for wheelchairs).

I'll swing by there after work and see whats up. Worse case scenario, its not official, I take a wheel chair from my clinic and buy the wheelchair seat

How ridiculous yet awesome.
An Ag in CO
AG
The Bloomberg article on Disney and Star Wars:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2017-12-08/force-is-strong-in-disney-lucasfilm-5-years-after-star-wars-deal

Malachi Constant
AG
Also on Starkiller base.

Stars are a whole lot larger than planets, but when the base blows up, a star emerges that's roughly the same size as starkiller base was.

This is physically impossible. Stars that are that small lack the fusion pressure to maintain a thermonuclear reaction and hold off gravity. Maybe if it was a white dwarf or even a neutron star I could buy it, but they way it was depicted is just silly.

Here's a comparison of IK Pegasi (A-Type main sequence star on the left), our Sun on the right, and a white dwarf below. The white dwarf star is about 60 times bigger than the earth.

I hope Poe Dameron was flying at close to light speed after the base started blowing up or they all would have been swallowed up by the star.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Just watched over lunch. Great stuff.
jokershady
AG
Seeing how the fighters flying in space has been physically impossible for every film, I would figure something like this would just be accepted.
AgMarauder04
AG
jokershady said:

Seeing how the fighters flying in space has been physically impossible for every film, I would figure something like this would just be accepted.
Oh, are we about to discuss all the ways Star Wars ignores the laws of physics?

Is now a good time to tell everybody here I teach Physics?
jokershady
AG
To put a different spin on it, perhaps we should discuss how incredibly BORING Star Wars would be if the laws of space and physics were followed.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Star Wars without sound in space would suck.

Just think, we wouldn't have this amazing sound.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
amercer said:

Looks like spoilers and rumors of spoilers have jumped the shark here.

See you all Friday night!
Ag Since 83
AG
wangus12 said:

6 pm at Cinemark in the other side of Plano here

Login to your Cinemark account and check your tickets there: it should list your seat numbers. I had the same experience in the email
Ag Since 83
AG
And on the capital planet: it was Hosnian Prime. "Hosnian System" is mentioned in the movie. Sure there is more backstory in the books but it is unimportant to the movie
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
3rdGen2015
AG
Mark Hamill is a national treasure
CoachRTM
AG
WARNING -

Got an email from Alamo Drafhouse last week, apparently the run time was changed slightly, which made them alter the show times forward or back in some cases.

My movie got moved up 20 minutes.

I haven't heard of any other movie theaters have this issue, but I figured I would post just in case. Would hate to be the guy that showed up 20 minutes into the movie.
MandoArms
I heard it was because they added in a 20 minute Frozen short.
Hagen95
AG
BrownCoat said:

LOL. There will be a fanboy revolt!
jokershady
AG
BrownCoat said:

after all the **** Josh Gad gave Daisy this would be the ultimate F you
First Page Last Page
Page 638 of 1257

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.