Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,858,742 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by TCTTS
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Was yours a "Fan Event"?

I know that the description mentions "exclusive content", so I wonder if it's something exclusive to those screenings. That is my ticket also, but I haven't gotten any notice.
The Collective
AG
BrownCoat said:

I heard it was because they added in a 20 minute Frozen short.

Caroling with Logray is happening!
WestAustinAg
AG
TCTTS said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Just finished TFA. Max hype boner achieved.

4 days!
Just did a rewatch as well. First time in full since the theater...

The first act remains fantastic. Heck, I'd say even most of the first half is pretty damn good. The way in which Han encounters Rey and Finn - and the randomness of it - still kind of bugs me, but it was easier to buy this go around. That, and within the given narrative, I can't think of any better way. I didn't even mind the stuff with the rival gangs and the rathtars. That was actually pretty fun.

That said, the second half, save for the Kylo/Rey fight in the snow, is just not good. Basically everything from Maz's castle through the end, pale's in comparison to the first half. You can just feel the bandaids being applied to the script, the more it starts to unravel, and the more it's jammed into A New Hope redo. Especially the way Luke's lightsaber is introduced, with zero context or revere - it still drives me insane. That, and the Starkiller base/weapon remains so incredibly dumb and uninspired. I totally forgot how, the first time it's fired, everyone on Maz's planet can see it destroying the Republic capital, of which there is almost zero weight paid to in the moment. Just so many half-assed moments like that.

All in all, the first half was even better than remember it, but the second still half leaves the same bad taste it did the first time I saw it. Regardless, I'm glad I rewatched it. Definitely got me in primed and ready for what sounds like a much better, more well-rounded experience with TLJ.
I agree. It was fun the first time but watching it a few more times and the fun has worn off. So much re-treading of the original Star Wars. Another planet that's shooting at other planets...this keeps repeating itself. BB-8 as the the fun new droid. Kylo the emo. Snoke?

But Rogue One, in my humble opinion, stands up so well. Seems that even though it was hemmed in by the plot conclusions it had to finish at, it still had the best developed characters and moved at the right pace with the right amount of plot info provided at the right time. It is the best written story of all of them (imo).
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
WestAustinAg said:

TCTTS said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Just finished TFA. Max hype boner achieved.

4 days!
Just did a rewatch as well. First time in full since the theater...

The first act remains fantastic. Heck, I'd say even most of the first half is pretty damn good. The way in which Han encounters Rey and Finn - and the randomness of it - still kind of bugs me, but it was easier to buy this go around. That, and within the given narrative, I can't think of any better way. I didn't even mind the stuff with the rival gangs and the rathtars. That was actually pretty fun.

That said, the second half, save for the Kylo/Rey fight in the snow, is just not good. Basically everything from Maz's castle through the end, pale's in comparison to the first half. You can just feel the bandaids being applied to the script, the more it starts to unravel, and the more it's jammed into A New Hope redo. Especially the way Luke's lightsaber is introduced, with zero context or revere - it still drives me insane. That, and the Starkiller base/weapon remains so incredibly dumb and uninspired. I totally forgot how, the first time it's fired, everyone on Maz's planet can see it destroying the Republic capital, of which there is almost zero weight paid to in the moment. Just so many half-assed moments like that.

All in all, the first half was even better than remember it, but the second still half leaves the same bad taste it did the first time I saw it. Regardless, I'm glad I rewatched it. Definitely got me in primed and ready for what sounds like a much better, more well-rounded experience with TLJ.
I agree. It was fun the first time but watching it a few more times and the fun has worn off. So much re-treading of the original Star Wars. Another planet that's shooting at other planets...this keeps repeating itself. BB-8 as the the fun new droid. Kylo the emo. Snoke?

But Rogue One, in my humble opinion, stands up so well. Seems that even though it was hemmed in by the plot conclusions it had to finish at, it still had the best developed characters and moved at the right pace with the right amount of plot info provided at the right time. It is the best written story of all of them (imo).
I have the same opinion. I love Rogue One and find myself rewatching it much more than TFA.
CoachRTM
AG
No, it wasn't a fan event. Just a normal 2D ticket.
jokershady
AG
I'm sure it's been posted here before, but just in case it hadn't with VIII about to come out:

By the way that's Mark Hamill doing the voice of Han Solo.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I have to admit. This video is actually kind of interesting and almost convinced me.

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Thought we could make time go by quicker with a "My Top 5 Star Wars moments" from the movies. No ties, no honorable mentions, just five in order, or not. A Bottom Five seems like it will be good too. I'll start.

Top 5
1. Vader kills the Emperor - favorite moment in movie history. Music and closeups of Vader's helmet as he makes his decision (before Lucas's infernal meddling). The greatest villain in cinema history becomes the hero.
2. Yoda lifts Luke's X-Wing out of the swamp . Up to then all the Force had been was voices in your head, a vision in the snow, and some minor object moving in the Wampa cave. This was the impossible becoming possible.
3. The reaction to Luke saying the name "Obi-Wan Kenobi". Obi-Wan is my favorite Star Wars character hands down and the musical cue and the haunted look in Sir Alec's eyes is so awesome - what acting for a guy who had basically zero idea what his character's ultimate back story was.
4. Leia senses Luke is in danger through the Force. Again, man the eyes of Carrie Fisher when she realizes Luke's in trouble even though she can't explain how she knows. The music here is a killer too.
5. Han Solo draws down on Darth Vader. Forget who shot first in the cantina. Han shows why he's so friggin awesome by taking the one shot he had in an unwinnable scenario.

Bottom 5
1. I have the high ground. Don't even get me started.
2. Anakin riding the big cow thing in the meadow in Attack of the Clones. Surely there was someone at ILM that said "George, this looks absolutely terrible, can't we go some other way?"
3. When Qui-Gon saved Jar Jar from the Trade Federation vehicle. Seriously, he could have saved us so much grief right there.
4. Not a fan of sand. I know he'd never been around a girl before, and definitely not around one as smoking hot as Padme, but c'mon dumbass.
5. Except for Kit Fisto, Coleman Trebor, and Mace Windu, no Jedi uses the Force during the arena battle in AOTC. No jumping, no throwing droids around, no pushing droids over with the Force or pulling their guns away, or making them shoot each other. Nothing. They just get slaughtered by overwhelming numbers and backed into a circle. Somewhere Darth Sidious was thinking, "Jeez do I really need to do this Clone War thing? These guys suck against 200 droids."
Flashdiaz
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Thought we could make time go by quicker with a "My Top 5 Star Wars moments" from the movies. No ties, no honorable mentions, just five in order, or not. A Bottom Five seems like it will be good too. I'll start.

Top 5
1. Vader kills the Emperor - favorite moment in movie history. Music and closeups of Vader's helmet as he makes his decision (before Lucas's infernal meddling). The greatest villain in cinema history becomes the hero.
2. Yoda lifts Luke's X-Wing out of the swamp . Up to then all the Force had been was voices in your head, a vision in the snow, and some minor object moving in the Wampa cave. This was the impossible becoming possible.
3. The reaction to Luke saying the name "Obi-Wan Kenobi". Obi-Wan is my favorite Star Wars character hands down and the musical cue and the haunted look in Sir Alec's eyes is so awesome - what acting for a guy who had basically zero idea what his character's ultimate back story was.
4. Leia senses Luke is in danger through the Force. Again, man the eyes of Carrie Fisher when she realizes Luke's in trouble even though she can't explain how she knows. The music here is a killer too.
5. Han Solo draws down on Darth Vader. Forget who shot first in the cantina. Han shows why he's so friggin awesome by taking the one shot he had in an unwinnable scenario.

Bottom 5
1. I have the high ground. Don't even get me started.
2. Anakin riding the big cow thing in the meadow in Attack of the Clones. Surely there was someone at ILM that said "George, this looks absolutely terrible, can't we go some other way?"
3. When Qui-Gon saved Jar Jar from the Trade Federation vehicle. Seriously, he could have saved us so much grief right there.
4. Not a fan of sand. I know he'd never been around a girl before, and definitely not around one as smoking hot as Padme, but c'mon dumbass.
5. Except for Kit Fisto, Coleman Trebor, and Mace Windu, no Jedi uses the Force during the arena battle in AOTC. No jumping, no throwing droids around, no pushing droids over with the Force or pulling their guns away, or making them shoot each other. Nothing. They just get slaughtered by overwhelming numbers and backed into a circle. Somewhere Darth Sidious was thinking, "Jeez do I really need to do this Clone War thing? These guys suck against 200 droids."

solid list.

Top 5.
1. Luke looking a the twin sunset coupled with the music
2. Yoda lifts Luke's X-Wing out of the swamp - and the subsequent "I don't believe it" "that is why you fail"
3. "I love you , I know"
4. Luke giving into his anger in Return of the Jedi and defeating Vader... then stopping himself.
5. Last 30 minutes of Rogue One.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
1. Vader taunting Luke in Cloud City - "The force is with you, young Skywalker. But you are not a Jedi yet." That line, coupled with that amazing shot of Vader, silhouetted, smoke behind him. Cinematic perfection.

2. Yoda teaches Luke - I have to cheat on this. I couldn't pick between lifting the X-Wing, and the whole speech about the force. "Luminous beings are we..." So, all of the moments between Yoda and Luke in Empire.

3. Darth Maul vs. Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan - All of this. From the moment the door opens, to Obi-Wan slicing Maul in half. And this. Nothing needs to be said.

4. Luke blows up the Death Star - From Obi-Wan's "Use the force, Luke" with the force theme swelling, to Han Solo's heroic entrance and "Yeehaw!", to Luke's bombs going down the reactor, music builds, and it all finally climaxes with an explosion. Does it get better than that?

5. Anakin vs. Obi-Wan duel - Do I need to explain? Three (or six) movies built to this moment. A few cringy moments are not enough to ruin this amazing, emotional fight to the death between a master/apprentice.

Honorable mention: I could not possibly leave out the Binary Sunset moment. It's what, 10 seconds? And yet still so iconic.
Farmer1906
AG
Top 1.

AGGies0311
1. "No, I am your father"
2. Rey using the force on starkiller base to grab Luke's lightsaber
3. Vader tearing up rebels at the end of Rogue one
4. Vader killing the emperor
5. Rancor fight
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Damn it, so many other moments I want to include.

I know.
I am your father.
Rey finds Luke

There's just too many.
Sex Panther
AG
1)

512Ag
AG
1) Binary sunset. The longing to leave home, but knowing it's hopeless.

2) Yoda's explanation of the Force. The saga is nothing without his "Luminous beings" monologue.

3) Rey uses Luke's lightsaber. I would pay money just to see that moment. After the disappointment of the Prequels, to see someone use the Force to retrieve and use a lightsaber, plus the music at that moment when she ignites it, was magic.

4) "No, I am your Father" and Luke's reaction.

5) "Funeral pyre for a Jedi" Luke gives his father a proper Jedi funeral as the celebration on Endor (and across the galaxy, apparently) is going on.

Bottom
1) Dex the short-order cook. Hated the CGI of him...and that whole scene
2) Sand
3) Ankin is good and then in about 20 seconds is all "**** it. Whatever you say, Palps. I'll be Sith now."
4) The kid greedo.
5) Midichlorians, which ruin the mysticism of the Force.
jr15aggie
AG
I'll add one... The binary sunset at end of ROTS. I was underwhelmed at the prequals but that was the money shot of the entire trilogy!
The Shank Ag
1. No, I am your father
2. Rey Lightsaber retrieval
3. K2S0 "I am,,, taking them,,, to imprison them... in prison." and basically every other quip. Probably my favorite non-humanoid character
4. Yoda and Luke in the Swamp
5. Kylo stopping Poe's blaster
The Collective
AG
I know many love the binary sunset scene, but burning homestead is the greatest moment in the films for me. This is the turning point for Luke Skywalker; the catalyst for his move from inaction to action.

Farmer1906
AG
The Shank Ag said:

1. No, I am your father
3. K2S0 "I am,,, taking them,,, to imprison them... in prison." and basically every other quip. Probably my favorite non-humanoid character
I was watching TFA last night and the start to that movie is perfect. It establishes Kylo as a complete ruthless badass. He showed us a new force power and murdered the old man. It also showed Poe as Solo like character with the quip about who speaks first. The blood on the helmet was a great touch too. Really humanized the troopers.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

On the other hand, they lose the weak-minded character needed to call for ultimate power for the Chancellor.
heddleston
AG
this has got to be pretty high on my list;

Han goes from murdering scoundrel to hero in 2 seconds
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Top 5 is tough ...

1. the Battle of Hoth.
this image is to me the most jaw-dropping image I have ever seen in any movie

2. duel between Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi
3. I am your father
4. Luke returning to the burning homestead / Rey winning the Force duel for Luke's lightsaber - both of these, with the latter being my guess, reveal to the hero characters their paths in life
5. the entire ending of Rogue One from the moment the rebels penetrate the shield onto Scarif all the way to the point where we see plastic Princess Leia and her daddy doing bad, bad things to everyone in his way
fig96
AG
For the Rogue One fans, really cool story breakdown of the plot from a screenwriting blog I follow. Definitely worth the read:

Storyclock Research Log - Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
wangus12
AG
1) Yoda's explanation of the force. its always stuck with me. Its always been my favorite part of ESB. I hated that movie when I was little because the good guys pretty much got their asses kicked in that movie. Love it now, but back then not so much

2) Duel of the Fates. What I had envisioned epic lightsaber battles to always be.

3) The finale of Rogue One. That 3rd act was just pure awesome from the get go

4) The destruction of the first Death Star

5) The Resistance attacking Maz's castle. The build up and swelling music were great and the shot of the X-Wings over the water is so cool
Ag Since 83
AG
Top 5
1. I am your father
2. I know
3. ROTJ lightsaber fight, Luke on the edge hammering away at Vader
4. The Falcon and Fighters racing through the DS II superstructure
5. Binary sunset

Bottom 1
1. May 19, 1999. All of it
512Ag
AG
The Shank Ag said:

1. No, I am your father

He's easily my favorite droid not named R2D2. So many good lines.
"Would you like to know the probability of her using it against you? ... It's high. It's very high."
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Anyone else streaming John Williams all day at work today?
Flashdiaz
AG
friendly reminder to those that wish to remain spoiler free.... media is releasing reviews today which means any media source can have spoilerish click-bait titles on the main news site.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quick rundown of the critical response so far.

93% on Rotten Tomatoes
86 on Metacritic*

*THIS is the number that is truly impressive. (This is a 0-100 ranking based on actual reviews, not just a % of "positive reviews".) TLJ is currently higher than The Disaster Artist (76), Coco (81), and is almost on par with Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri (87), which is a Best Picture contender.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Reminder that the movie starts its rollout to mass audiences in Europe tomorrow.

I would stay away from social media, and even youtube comments. Cannot be too safe. There will be *******s everywhere.

Quote:

Star Wars: The Last Jedi begins its international rollout Wednesday with major markets France and Italy among the opening days. The bulk of the offshore majors come online Thursday including the UK, Germany, Australia, Russia, Korea and Brazil. From there, the eighth installment in the sci-fi saga will hyperdrive into the rest of offshore play through Friday (excluding China, which bows January 5).
DartAg1970
AG
Top 5:

1. ROTS: Obi-Wan Anakin fight at the end of ROTS. The drama, the passion, the differences you can see from a Jedi who is always mindful of where he is and what he is doing (a lesson we are taught by Yoda in ESB) and a Sith who is fighting purely on passion and doesn't pay attention to anything but that he wants to kill Obi-Wan.

2. Combo here, ESB: I am your Father. Rogue One: Final Vader scene giving you a glimpse of why he was so feared.

3. AOTC: Yoda showing off his Force abilities and his swordsmanship in AOTC. This was probably the only thing about this movie that I can call out. I remember being in the theater and seeing the small shadow walking into frame and the whole theater went nuts. Gives you just a glimpse of how powerful he was.

4. Rogue One: I loved seeing in more detail the destructive power of the Death Star. Even in TFA with Starkiller you only see planets blowing up from a distance. With Rogue one, you really get to see what is happening on planet.

5. TFA: First line of the movie, "this will begin to set things right" from that point on I knew I was about to go on a ride that was like no other. Even though the 3rd act ended up being a little familiar I think overall this movie had a different feel to it.

Bottom 5:
1. Jar Jar, nuff said.

2. Anakin's tantrums in AOTC.

3. Ewoks overpowering Stormtroopers, who had trained all of their lives, with rocks. I would have much preferred maybe a reuniting with imprisoned Wookies on Kashyyk and that is where they were building the second death star and then it could have been a tribe of wookies defeating stormtroopers. That would have made more sense to me.

4. TFA: Rey just being able to have force sensitive powers with no knowledge of or training in the Force. At least when Luke blew up the death star or force grabbed the lightsaber in the cave before his official training he was schooled in the Force by Obi-Wan and had a basic understanding. This just always bothered me. All we get is Han saying that its all real or true.

5. Rogue One: I don't know why but the constant reminding the audience that Galen does everything he does to protect Jyn is just annoying, say it the first time in the beginning and then move on. also I thought they did a disservice to Saw's character. I know they were limited because this wasn't a Saw movie but making him out to just be a crack pot extremist was weird to me. I admit though I don't know a lot about his character overall.
Ag Since 83
AG
Woke up early this morning to watch ROTJ and finish off my viewing of the un-specialized edition of the original trilogy. Now just need to watch TFA tonight and I am ready for tomorrow
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

3. AOTC: Yoda showing off his Force abilities and his swordsmanship in AOTC. This was probably the only thing about this movie that I can call out. I remember being in the theater and seeing the small shadow walking into frame and the whole theater went nuts. Gives you just a glimpse of how powerful he was.
Man, this one was tough to leave out for me. What a great moment.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Reminder that "Star Wars Kid" exists.

The Collective
AG
Star Wars kid is my favorite thing from the prequels era. It was also a great cautionary warning of where the Internet would one day take us.
First Page Last Page
Page 639 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.