Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,885,628 Views | 43962 Replies | Last: 9 hrs ago by The Porkchop Express
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AliasMan02
AG
TCTTS said:

You know what? **** it. Let Donald Glover do it.
TCTTS
AG
I just can't imagine what HASN'T been figured out at this point? How are there "creative differences" with three weeks left of shooting? Granted, most movies now days are edited WHILE shooting is going on, so maybe something was discovered/disagreed upon in the edit, but still. At this point, every last shot has been storyboarded and pre-prevised, the script is basically locked, the tone long since decided, costumes obviously finished, etc. I just can't remember anything like this happening, ever. So wild. Only thing I can think of is that Lord & Miller got some crazy idea during filming that would have ventured too far from the agreed upon path, whether it be story-wise, money-wise, or both. And then they just couldn't let go of it.
TCTTS
AG

TCTTS
AG

TCTTS
AG
Some very good points. In addition to this fiasco...

- Episode VII - Saw J.J. and Kasdan basically take over screenwriting duties at the last possible minute, which was evident in the final product.

- Episode IX - Hired a director literally no one is excited about.

- Rogue One - Endured much-reported, last-minute re-shoots under a new director that basically re-wired the entire movie.

- Untitled Boba Fett Movie - Was set to be the second spin-off, but Lucasfilm fired the director, scrapped the project, and moved the Han Solo project up in its place.
TCTTS
AG

Simplebay
AG
Sigh. Fk this
TCTTS
AG
AliasMan02
AG
TCTTS said:

Some very good points. In addition to this fiasco...

- Episode VII - Saw J.J. and Kasdan basically take over screenwriting duties at the last possible minute, which was evident in the final product.

- Episode IX - Hired a director literally no one is excited about.

- Rogue One - Endured much-reported, last-minute re-shoots under a new director that basically re-wired the entire movie.

- Untitled Boba Fett Movie - Was set to be the second spin-off, but Lucasfilm fired the director, scrapped the project, and moved the Han Solo project up in its place.
This is at least a little unfair. Episode VII and Rogue One are both fantastic, irrespective of creative changes.

Obviously the departure of L&T can't be seen as anything but bad, but you have to at least credit Lucasfilm for what they've turned out.
Max Power
AG
Don't squeeze the rabbit Lenny!
TCTTS
AG
Whether they turned out great or not is beside the point. They still saw troubled productions. Yes, Lucasfilm was great at reacting to the problems, but one could argue that the problems shouldn't have been there in the first place if there was better planning on the front end.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Wow that is crazy news.
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
M.C. Swag
AG
Yay! More Trevorrow!

-Said no one ever
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
What the **** is going on.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Honestly? Scrap the movie.

Was shaky on it to begin with.
TCTTS
AG
You're out of your mind. Ha, and why would they scrap it with only three weeks left to shoot? They've been shooting since January!
Chipotlemonger
AG
TCTTS said:

You're out of your mind. Ha, and why would they scrap it with only three weeks left to shoot? They've been shooting since January!

Agreed. What are you thinking BES?
AggieSouth06
Brian Earl Spilner said:

What the **** is going on.

Directors saw Rogue One and demanded that all their characters die at the end too. Continuity monitor stepped in.
TCTTS
AG
The scoop...

TCTTS
AG
I just really, really hope they're keeping cinematographer Bradford Young. Dude is one of the best in the business, and I'm looking forward to a Star Wars movie shot through his lens maybe most of all.
ja86
AG
So with all the money available and with interesting story's to tell... why is star wars franchise so difficult. Marvel can get it done, and they are relatively newcomers to the theatrical game.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Of course they won't. I just wish they would. I've lost all faith in it.
TCTTS
AG
In this case, it sounds like the "This is how it's always been done" camp vs. the "This is how it should be now" camp. I get where Kennedy & co are coming from, but this tight grip and sameness from movie to movie isn't going to work for the long haul. If they want Star Wars movies to last into the next decade, they're going to have to allow for unique voices.
TCTTS
AG
It'll be fine. Literally everything up until now was incredibly encouraging. I can't think of one thing to even remotely complain about regarding this movie before today. I think we'll still get a great, fun movie, it just won't be quite as unique and out there as maybe some were hoping,
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Ugh.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Ok, starting to at least make more sense now.

Maybe not one specific story point that caused the disagreement but rather a constant butting of heads with Kennedy and LF.

I agree with that tweet, why hire them if you are not willing to let them work their way? Micromanaging is what did Lucas in.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
TCTTS said:

Ugh.

Ugh? Regarding Howard (Willow, Apollo 13), Kasdan (wrote Empire, Jedi, TFA, and Raiders, and directed Silverado), or Johnston (Cap 1)?
Buck Compton
AG
To be fair, no one will complain if Ron Howard steps in to finalize things...

Cocoon, Apollo 13, and The DaVinci Code? Fantastic. (I feel like I'm missing one there)

EDIT: Looked it up and forgot A Beautiful Mind.
TCTTS
AG
I like each of those directors and a lot of the movies they've made, I just think they're pretty bland in comparison to Lord & Miller.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Lord and Miller have the Lego Movie and the 21 Jump Street franchise under their belt. That's it.

You're going to trust them over Ron freaking Howard?
ja86
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Lord and Miller have the Lego Movie and the 21 Jump Street franchise under their belt. That's it.

You're going to trust them over Ron freaking Howard?

+ infinity
First Page Last Page
Page 598 of 1257

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.