Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,888,257 Views | 43965 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by TCTTS
The Collective
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This whole thing is setting off so many b.s. alarms... this is how the Hollywood rumor mill works. Take a few "half public truths" and weave in a false narrative to make a compelling tale. This guy is probably just some loser with his own youtube channel at best, at worst he's some troll from a competing studio.

Quote:

Yes they did. Disney had a test screening to help gauge public reaction to the film. The audience hated the film and ordered massive reshoots. They replaced Gareth Edwards with Tony Gilroy on the set. Edwards was ordered to step aside and Gilroy took control of the entire set. He also did the rewrites, which he is credited with, and did editing as well. That's a whole lot of responsibility to one guy. It seems that Edwards screwed up so bad that he was kicked off his own film and that he'll probably never get to direct another big budget film again. He must've screwed pretty bad from what I hear. What I know of the reshoots, the original Edwards version was too dark and violent. No real character and too boring. Think Godzilla, but worse.
They tried to lighten the film up and make it more appealing to more people and they changed how characters behaved, like what they did with Jyn Erso. They redid a lot of her scenes and she's essentially a different character this time around. It seems that a lot of the negative reactions from the test audience was directed at Jyn. Felicity Jones was a big reason for the reshoots. She has been a huge weak link in this mess and it's unfair that Gareth Edwards has had so much thrown at him. I know he's the director, but it's Felicity Jones that's carrying the film. It's her performance that will make or break the film now and that Disney has gone out of their way to do damage control for her and not place blame on her. It's not fair. Edwards' career in Hollywood is pretty gone right now and he'll never be a big director that he hoped, but the star of the film can go unscathed, when it was her that helped prompt the reshoots in the first place, and should not get away from all this unscathed career wise.

Quote:

Yeah it was. It must've been terrible for the reaction Disney made. They went into full panic mode after the test screening. Disney denies it ever had a test audience see it, and put out damage control PR pieces out, but they did have one. They had to immediately recall actors from all over the world, and they were working on other projects at the time, to come back and redo the movie. They also replace the composer for the film too, it was Alexandre Desplat and then dumped him for Michael Giancchino.
On the reshoots, they tried to get Christopher McQuarrie to come by and help with writing and directing, but he seemed to just walk away from it all. They also considered getting JJ Abrams too but decided not to. So it all was leveled at Tony Gilroy's feet, and he took over a lot of the work on the film, pushing Gareth Edwards out completely. Edwards became angry at everyone for how he was treated and vowed to never talk to the actors again.

I can't blame him too much since they never had a good script to work with and the production suffered because of it. The lead they picked, Felicity Jones, hasn't been much help. She is the weakest link in the whole mess, and has never had much leveled at her, at least not publicly. Going by the trailers thus far, she comes across as so wooden, and robotic that she seems to come across as a machine. She's delivering her lines, but there is nothing behind those words she's saying. It's flat as a board.

I have problems with Edwards, but he's suffered the most out of all this and his career is very much in doubt in Hollywood. The studios will probably not want to trust another big budget movie to him again. Not too much his fault. The blame needs to spread out more. It's been the writers, and the actors, namely Felicity. I don't think it's fair that so much has been thrown at him and not the others. They'll continue to get work, the accolades, awards, the money and such, but he'll take the heat for some time to come. That isn't right.
The Collective
AG
He is taking fan theories in another one of his posts and running with them. I won't post the whole thing here... but:
He discusses Vader undergoing a major injury and being restored in a bacta tank. I think this theory makes sense (and is hinted in one of the trailers) and could theoretically explain Vader's poor movement in ANH. I just hope they don't ruin the mystique of Vader in this movie. He should be kicking ass - end of story.
Ag Since 83
AG
TC don't you mean you've been PUBLISHING fake movie news/talk on the internet since the 90s?

*insert Leo as Anakin pic here*
Farmer1906
AG
Wait I thought they were still doing re-shoots and pushing the release date until Jan..
Flashdiaz
AG
CJS4715 said:

He is taking fan theories in another one of his posts and running with them. I won't post the whole thing here... but:
He discusses Vader undergoing a major injury and being restored in a bacta tank. I think this theory makes sense (and is hinted in one of the trailers) and could theoretically explain Vader's poor movement in ANH. I just hope they don't ruin the mystique of Vader in this movie. He should be kicking ass - end of story.
Darth Vader already had both arms and legs cutoff and was on fire. what else could limit his movement?
3rdGen2015
AG
Flashdiaz said:

CJS4715 said:

Darth Vader already had both arms and legs cutoff and was on fire. what else could limit his movement?
Lack of WD-40
TCTTS
AG
Ha! I may or may not have dabbled...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Jyn besting Vader would be worse than anything in the prequels.
wangus12
AG
Quote:

But several messages took the crusade further, injecting the new Star Wars film into a divisive political debate: "Please note that the Empire is a white supremacist (human) organization," wrote Weitz. Added fellow Rogue One scribe Gary Whitta, "Opposed by a multicultural group led by brave women." Both men changed their avatars to a Rebel insignia with a safety pin, a reference to the symbol of solidarity with persecuted groups that has spread following the election.
Why do they always try to make this stuff coincide with current events. GTFO
wangus12
AG
That just reads like a tabloid story.
wangus12
AG
Quote:

Felicity Jones is the wrong actress to lead a film like this. She's not convincing in the role and seems out of place. Not even mentioning that her acting which is flat as a board.

She doesn't have the movie star qualities to be a heavy hitter in Hollywood. She just doesn't have the gist for it. The audiences are very fickle nowadays and won't be very tolerant of a boring actress that doesn't capture the hearts of moviegoers. She can't do that. She's too cold and soulless in her roles to be very appealing to audiences, like what she was in Inferno.
Has this guy not seen any of the Hunger Games films. J-Law worked wonders
Farmer1906
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

These 2 characters stronger disagree.

wangus12
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Even farther down he says she is Rey's mom so I'm betting this is a load of crap. Plus he refuses to name any sources.
Flashdiaz
AG
lets review Vader's losses:
episode 2: loses an arm, gets knocked out
episode 3: loses the other arm and both legs, gets set on fire.
episode 4: ship gets tossed into outerspace while his battle station gets destroyed
episode 5: badass mofo
episode 6: loses a hand, gets electrocuted. dies.

Vader needs more cinematic badass moments otherwise it's the force keeping an average person alive long enough to fulfill his destiny.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Precisely.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, for being such a feared badass, Vader is damn near the cinematic version of Southpark's Kenny.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Though for Ep 4, the scene in the war room with the Admirals is pretty ******* fantastic from a "badass Vader" standpoint.
The Collective
AG
I only argued what I did above, because it has long been a theory that Vader was in worse shape in ANH then Empire, and it was thought that maybe he was injured fighting the Rebel Alliance. It's probably just some fan concoction to explain away the late 70s jedi fight with old man Kenobi though.
The Collective
AG
Flashdiaz said:

lets review Vader's losses:
episode 2: Reveals kryptonite... sand.

spanky
AG
3rdGen2015 said:

Flashdiaz said:

CJS4715 said:

Lack of WD-40
slow midichlorian leak
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Though for Ep 4, the scene in the war room with the Admirals is pretty ******* fantastic from a "badass Vader" standpoint.
I find your lack of faith disturbing, whilst Force choking the sh*t out of some hapless military figure. Total baddassery.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

I find your lack of faith disturbing, whilst Force choking the sh*t out of some hapless military figure. Total baddassery.
Yeah, not much says "**** you" than force choking someone because you are tired of their *****
jabberwalkie09
AG
So apparently, a Kenobi anthology film is on hold. The rumored reason is that Kenobi may yet appear in the sequel trilogy

http://collider.com/star-wars-obi-wan-kenobi-solo-movie-update/
wangus12
AG
Couple pages too late mate
jabberwalkie09
AG
Well, ***** I blame me being sick.
wangus12
AG
I might have said that prematurely. I've read that somewhere a few days ago and assumed it was here but I don't see it.
Duncan Idaho
Went to see "edge of seventeen" (not the Stevie nicks biopic I was expecting) but I got a rogue one cup out of the deal.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Pg 507
wangus12
AG
Good man
The Collective
AG
The new fan theory from yesterday is a doozy of mental gymnastics... at least, I hope it's not true:
wangus12
AG
Curious. Bet of a stretch, but a nice leap. Thing is that means that the Knights of Ren are all probably going into their mid/late 60's or 70's in age. Baze & Chirrut look to be much older than the rest of the group so they would be even older.

Also, why does everyone seem to associate the Force with bloodlines. I never associated it with genetic passdown. Some people have it, some don't
Flashdiaz
AG
wangus12 said:

Curious. Bet of a stretch, but a nice leap. Thing is that means that the Knights of Ren are all probably going into their mid/late 60's or 70's in age. Baze & Chirrut look to be much older than the rest of the group so they would be even older.

Also, why does everyone seem to associate the Force with bloodlines. I never associated it with genetic passdown. Some people have it, some don't
because the whole premise of the original star wars is that the offspring of Anakin Skywalker will be strong with the force simply because they are the offspring of a powerful force user.
vwbug
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This. Even before we knew Vader was Luke's father, it was shown that Luke was strong in the force because his father was a Jedi.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Isn't it also a reason the Jedi didn't what them getting married? at least I thought that was forbidden by the Jedi Order.
First Page Last Page
Page 509 of 1257

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.