Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,886,166 Views | 43962 Replies | Last: 11 hrs ago by The Porkchop Express
AgMarauder04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
I want to see a certain run being made in a certain number of parsecs.
Should we make a list of what we hope to see?

I'll start:

Brief time as an Imperial
Freeing Chewie
Kessel Maw

Those are my big three.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
I played hard the first night just to get off Taris. Glad Malak wiped it from the face of the galaxy
I actually like Taris; I like a game where you've got to work hard in the beginning, you're not super-charged with uber weapons, armor, and powers right off the bat, and until the last few parts, there's no Jedi at all. Plus I'd love a spin-off game featuring Davik, Canderous, and Calo Nord.

I'm on the Leviathan now, chose Canderous to free the rest by playing dead. KOTOR knew how to do a mandalorian right, he's unarmed, and unarmored except for his healing implant and takes down a room of 5 armored soliders anyways.

My favorite part of the game remains saying stupid things to irritate Carth Onasis.
AgMarauder04
AG
quote:
quote:
I played hard the first night just to get off Taris. Glad Malak wiped it from the face of the galaxy
I actually like Taris; I like a game where you've got to work hard in the beginning, you're not super-charged with uber weapons, armor, and powers right off the bat, and until the last few parts, there's no Jedi at all. Plus I'd love a spin-off game featuring Davik, Canderous, and Calo Nord.

I'm on the Leviathan now, chose Canderous to free the rest by playing dead. KOTOR knew how to do a mandalorian right, he's unarmed, and unarmored except for his healing implant and takes down a room of 5 armored soliders anyways.

My favorite part of the game remains saying stupid things to irritate Carth Onasis.
Carth is a little beech.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The planet Corellia.

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
quote:
I want to see a certain run being made in a certain number of parsecs.
Should we make a list of what we hope to see?

I'll start:

Brief time as an Imperial
Freeing Chewie
Kessel Maw

Those are my big three.
Jabba the Hutt trying various diets to lose weight.
The Kessel Run being a 5K that Han competes in for charity.
Lando using the Falcon as fully-functioning pimp-mobile
Han and Boba Fett being best friends in college and then becoming enemies because of a Twi'lek slave girl who dates them both.

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
The last time I was on Corellia, there was some wild crap happening.

Chipotlemonger
AG
KOTOR 3 a pipe dream?
Knife_Party
quote:
KOTOR 3 a pipe dream?

SWTOR is KOTOR 3 through infinity. The story lines in the game are actually damn good. It's F2P too, but leveling is super slow.
redline248
AG
still mmorpg?
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
quote:
KOTOR 3 a pipe dream?

SWTOR is KOTOR 3 through infinity. The story lines in the game are actually damn good. It's F2P too, but leveling is super slow.
I didn't get too deep into SWTOR, but isn't there still a subscription plan that allows you to level faster?
Thunder18
AG
I would love a new KOTOR for current gen platforms...not the MMO, just the regular RPG. What a phenomenal game
GCRanger
AG
Wife and I are going to see TFA again this weekend. I'm almost more excited for the 2nd time around.
Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:
I would love a new KOTOR for current gen platforms...not the MMO, just the regular RPG. What a phenomenal game
tamusc
AG
quote:
I know they didn't really update the graphics for it, but it's pretty great on the iPad.
Knife_Party
The TOR mmo does have a sub that speeds things up a bunch. There's also xp boosts you can get through quests and in game currency. They've made a TON of changes to streamline things and improve the game over the years and it is much better. The Jedi Knight story line is freakin legit.
Chipotlemonger
AG
To me it all comes down to the fact that more so than any game prior or since, KOTOR and KOTOR II made me feel more 'in' the Star Wars universe (ahem, Galaxy), than anything else.

Great storyline certainly played a part, but the RPG aspect I think gets the most bang for the buck in this genre.
Knife_Party
Imo, the TOR mmo has changed to allow for a solo RPG experience. At the beginning they tried to do both mmo and rpg and failed. They changed their plan and started putting out more story stuff. It's a great RPG in it's own right. Only reason I don't play it is because I can't stand the combat system. Feels to slow and clunky.
Thunder18
AG
^
100% agree. Edit: in response to Chipotlemonger's post
wangus12
AG
I completely agree. My comment was in jest to the ****ty people living on Taris. Not my dislike for the gameplay there.

They do need to make another KOTOR for the new consoles.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Someone edited the colors and made it textless. Phone wallpaper material.

jeffk
AG
quote:
Someone edited the colors and made it textless. Phone wallpaper material.

Looks like a Tolkien illustration.
redline248
AG
I thought the exact same thing
TCTTS
AG
This is so incredibly spot on...

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/01/07/han-solo-all-things-must-pass
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
This is so incredibly spot on...

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/01/07/han-solo-all-things-must-pass

I agree that I'd have liked one more beat at Han's death, and that an angry Han out trying to catch up with his son would have been strong. However, I disagree strongly with a couple of points anout character arcs of Luke and Han.

Luke doesn't just leave when things got bad. He spent years teaching new Jedi, going through what had to be struggles and toil, full of mistakes. He leaves because the fall of his own family shows him that he is dangerous, so he removes himself from the equation. And he doesn't just leave. He leaves looking for answers. It's unfair to categorize it as abandonment.

On the same count for Han, I think that him leaving to try and give Leia some peace is well within his arc. It's what he tries to do in Jedi, as the author even points out... leave to make Leia happy.

As to the rest of the criticism's of Han's story, there are some practical issues. For one, I wonder how Ford's injury impacted rewrites. Second, this is basically a Star Wars reboot, and as such was written to be familiar and simple without the need for complex twists and thematic studies. I'd love to see the story the author talks about, but they weren't going to add another half hour to the movie to really get into it. To do it justice, you'd need at least one more location, and all of the establishing that requires.

Thirdly on Han, and most importantly, to tell the story the author wants to see, this movie becomes about Han Solo. But this movie isn't about Han. This movie is about Rey and Finn and Poe.

The author says Han's death happened at the wrong time. Really, he's right. To get the buildup he wants, really the death shouldn't have even happened in Episode 7, but in 8. But, that was not an option.

He makes good points, but even art as important as Star Wars has to conform to creative restraints of time, money, and as actors crashing their planes and refusing to do sequels. I think that's the root of his criticism as much as anything.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Just got to the big reveal in KOTOR. I remember my 29-year-old self in 2003 with jaw friggin DROPPEd when it happened the first time.
Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:
Just got to the big reveal in KOTOR. I remember my 29-year-old self in 2003 with jaw friggin DROPPEd when it happened the first time.

********SPOILER*******

I can't remember the reveal, what was it? That you yourself are Revan? Was that it? Seriously can't recall.

Thunder18
AG
quote:

Yes
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Spoilers!
Chipotlemonger
AG
Hey the game has been out for over a decade and it sounds like everyone here who games has played it multiple times
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I've been meaning to play it.
SwigAg11
AG
Then you're about a decade late.
Thunder18
AG
You won't regret it
Knife_Party
Dang that sucks Bri. Imo its one of the best plot twists in any story I've ever heard/played/seen.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
No worries, I was being facetious. I remember my friend telling me all about it in high school.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I would feel terrible if I ruined it for someone back in the day. It truly was one of the best twists out there.
First Page Last Page
Page 349 of 1257

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.