Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,886,038 Views | 43962 Replies | Last: 10 hrs ago by The Porkchop Express
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Amazing.
TexAgBolter
AG
So, when are we going to see a Rogue One trailer? Will they wait until Celebration or will they attach it to The Force Awakens later in its run like what they did with The Two Towers preview?
Ag Since 83
AG
I would guess they'll attach a teaser to TFA at some point, and then debut a bigger trailer at Celebration in July. Too bad it's in Europe this time. Anaheim was so fun, I'd consider going again if it was in the US.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
So, when are we going to see a Rogue One trailer? Will they wait until Celebration or will they attach it to The Force Awakens later in its run like what they did with The Two Towers preview?

We learned the title of TFA a little more than a year before its release. We got the first trailer shortly thereafter.

Following that logic, May the Fourth seems like it might be a date to watch. That timeline would also allow the trailer to show with Civil War.

Edit: it's late and I just realized I'm talking Ep 8 when OP is talking Rogue One. My bad.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I still say Super Bowl.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
I still say Super Bowl.

Seems reasonable.
TCTTS
AG
I would bet anything Disney waits to debut the Rogue One trailer with Captain America: Civil War on May 6th. A Super Bowl premiere feels way too soon to me, if only because a month from now they'll still want everyone to be basking in the glow of The Force Awakens. Besides, the Super Bowl is almost always reserved for spring/summer movie trailer premieres. Don't quote me on this, but I'm almost positive that a movie 10-11 months out has never debuted its first look during the Super Bowl. So if not the Super Bowl, and not with Captain America, my only other guesses would be with A) with Batman v Superman on March 25, or B) The Jungle Book on April 15. That said, Captain America just feels right. In fact, I could see some kind of behind-the-scenes teaser debuting on the TFA Blu-ray/DVD release in April, followed by the first theatrical trailer in early May.

What's really going to be interesting is to see how Disney handles the Episode VIII marketing in conjunction with the Rogue One marketing, since Episode VIII hits theaters a mere five months after Rogue One. I don't know, but I just can't see them advertising Episode VIII before Rogue One hits theaters. I feel like all the attention would go to Episode VIII before Rogue One even has a chance to make its mark. After TFA's historical success, Disney knows everyone and their dog is already in for Episode VIII. That, and those characters need a good long while to breathe before we see another glimpse of them, I think. Seeing a trailer with Rey, Finn and Kylo Ren this summer, or even this fall, feels like overkill. But getting our first glimpse of them again, say, after the end credits of Rogue One? That feels about right. Which, again, makes me think Disney will hold off a bit and use the spring/summer to premiere Rogue One footage instead.
jr15aggie
AG
I sorta feel the opposite. I think hyping up EP VIII will only help rogue one and also help with any confusion people (casual audience) might have over which one is a sequel and which one is a stand alone.

But I don't think we'll see too much. Like TFA, we probably don't get a full trailer until rogue one is about done at the theater (2-3 months before EP VIII). So the big trailer and TV spot campaign won't really hit until after. And we better start getting some Luke shots in the very first teaser!!!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I actually think I'm more excited about Ep VIII than I was for TFA. Which is hard even for me to believe.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
I actually think I'm more excited about Ep VIII than I was for TFA. Which is hard even for me to believe.

which means you'll actually be slightly disappointed in it and it will sour your experience.

thats part of why i spend so little time on any movie (even SW) discussions before I see them, i don't want to artificially build up anticipation. it only leads to disappointment.

i've pretty much found the less i know and find out before i see a film, the more i enjoy it. the more highly i anticipate it the more likely i am to be a little disappointed. thats also why i see them early in the release before i start to hear much word of mouth.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I love TFA and have enjoyed it even more on subsequent viewings.
InnerCityAg
So are they releasing a blu ray in April and then some extended directors cut later? I don't want to have to buy 2 copies.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Sure seems like it.
jabberwalkie09
AG
I'm ready for some more info on Rogue One. Like character names or the teaser that was shown at Celebration would be fantastic. I'm tired of watching it on crappy cell phone quality.
TCTTS
AG
Abrams is on record as saying no director's cut. Disney may say otherwise...
TCTTS
AG
Birth.Movies.Death. / "In Defense of George Lucas"
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Newest IMAX poster.

InnerCityAg
Just read this quote from Abrams:

quote:
I'm not a huge fan of directors' cuts and modifications to a movie. I feel the movie that comes out is the movie that should be the intended final product.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That's all fine and good, just put all the deleted scenes in the blu-ray. I want to see them.
TCTTS
AG
Abrams has said that's definitely happening, at least.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
Anyone else hoping Yoda makes an appearance? I don't care if it's just a small cameo of Force Ghost Yoda speaking with Luke, that would be enough for me.
My first page post.

Technically, I got what I wanted. Voice counts.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Hey TC, looks like you weren't off base when you started the rumors of Leo as Anakin.

http://www.nme.com/filmandtv/news/leonardo-di-caprio-i-turned-down-the-chance-to-pla/396212
TCTTS
AG
Ha, love it. Did a quick Google search, and just found a decent-quality version of my drawing again. Checked a few years ago and all I could find was a little thumbnail...

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/anyone-think-jake-lloyd-was-cast-because.50033486/page-2

Ag Since 83
AG
Still can't believe you made that drawing I saw all those years ago.

I wonder if Leo got to read the script. You gotta think he would consider himself too good for lines about coarse sand.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yeah, I frequented theforce.net quite a bit back in those days and I'm fairly sure I saw that sketch too. Crazy.
fig96
AG
I actually used to hang out with the theForce.net guys in Houston a bit, went to an Ep 1 screening in Dallas with them.

TCTTS, for a second I thought you were the first poster on that page talking about how Jake Lloyd and Hayden Christiansen were awesome in the prequels and I was concerned Great drawing though.
TCTTS
AG
Nice! Yeah, I never met any of those guys in person - only had phone conversations - but I "worked" for theforce.net in the year lead-up to Episode II. I was writing/updating my own running Episode II "scriptment," incorporating all the rumors and what not, they asked me to start doing it for them, and I obliged. We eventually got a cease and desist order from Lucasfilm, though, because it was so close to the final product, a couple months before the movie hit theaters.

Ha, as much as I hate the prequels, it's weird how "involved" I was with them online, back in the day...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Alright guys, just want to give everyone fair warning. This thread will open up to ALL discussion on 1/1, meaning TFA spoilers will be allowed, speculation on Episode VIII and beyond, etc.

If you haven't watched TFA yet, I suggest staying away after tonight, or better yet, go watch the damn movie!

I'll post again and add a final warning once that happens.

Looking forward to another year of speculation and discussion.
TCTTS
Ag Since 83
AG
EU fans:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/blog/sci-fi-fantasy/building-a-galaxy-far-far-away-the-story-of-the-star-wars-expanded-universe-part-1/
Saxsoon
AG
quote:
I would bet anything Disney waits to debut the Rogue One trailer with Captain America: Civil War on May 6th. A Super Bowl premiere feels way too soon to me, if only because a month from now they'll still want everyone to be basking in the glow of The Force Awakens. Besides, the Super Bowl is almost always reserved for spring/summer movie trailer premieres. Don't quote me on this, but I'm almost positive that a movie 10-11 months out has never debuted its first look during the Super Bowl. So if not the Super Bowl, and not with Captain America, my only other guesses would be with A) with Batman v Superman on March 25, or B) The Jungle Book on April 15. That said, Captain America just feels right. In fact, I could see some kind of behind-the-scenes teaser debuting on the TFA Blu-ray/DVD release in April, followed by the first theatrical trailer in early May.

What's really going to be interesting is to see how Disney handles the Episode VIII marketing in conjunction with the Rogue One marketing, since Episode VIII hits theaters a mere five months after Rogue One. I don't know, but I just can't see them advertising Episode VIII before Rogue One hits theaters. I feel like all the attention would go to Episode VIII before Rogue One even has a chance to make its mark. After TFA's historical success, Disney knows everyone and their dog is already in for Episode VIII. That, and those characters need a good long while to breathe before we see another glimpse of them, I think. Seeing a trailer with Rey, Finn and Kylo Ren this summer, or even this fall, feels like overkill. But getting our first glimpse of them again, say, after the end credits of Rogue One? That feels about right. Which, again, makes me think Disney will hold off a bit and use the spring/summer to premiere Rogue One footage instead.
I think they glow of Episode VII may make even more sense for a Super Bowl ad. Disney has to make it clear to everyone what type of movie this is (and let's be honest, the average movie goer doesn't even know this exists). May may be too late and the Super Bowl let's Disney engage the audience and let them know that Star Wars truly will be an ongoing experience similar to the MCU.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
**** From this point forward, all discussion involving The Force Awakens is now allowed on this thread. Please read at your own risk if you have not watched it. ****

Happy new year everyone!
Mr. White
Han dies
Luke has no lines

Should have taken BES seriously, you knuckleheads
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
Han dies
Luke has no lines

Should have taken BES seriously, you knuckleheads

Kylo is a Solo and kills his dad! Rey is a Skywalker but they don't admit it yet... Feels so good to finally say it in the appropriate thread!

Happy new years!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
She could be a Kenobi.
First Page Last Page
Page 341 of 1257

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.