Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,889,272 Views | 43965 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by TCTTS
jeffk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
I am showing EVERY class of mine the trailer. This allows me to view it multiple times while also exposing them to its awesomeness.

"Hey, you can't do that. It's not attached to a lesson!" So happy you asked:

"OK, Engineering Students...how is it possible to construct BB-8?"

"OK, Physics Students, which laws of physics are being broken in this trailer?"
We're in our cultures unit - this trailer portrays many cultures across the galaxy.
TCTTS
AG
Two really great trailer breakdowns, with lots of answers/speculation...

http://io9.com/heres-a-shot-by-shot-breakdown-of-all-the-goodies-in-th-1737486310

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/herocomplex/la-et-hc-star-wars-trailer-clues-20151019-story.html
The Collective
AG
Sweet. That was my thinking. I figured it was that character just by the few bits that were revealed in the Vanity Fair article.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
And yeah, plot spoilers, please keep off this thread.
The Collective
AG
quote:
And yeah, plot spoilers, please keep off this thread.

TCTTS
AG
Just to reiterate, saying who that castle belongs to is NOT a spoiler. Spoilers are plot twists, surprise cameos, character deaths, etc. If anyone considers a small geographic fact to be a "spoiler," an internet message board is not the place for you. I would never in a million years spoil a legitimate plot point in this thread, but if there's a ton of speculation about a fairly inconsequential location, there's absolutely no harm in addressing it.
AgMarauder04
AG
Us speculating on what we think is happening is not a spoiler.

Someone who has read the script or seen the movie and telling us what happens is a spoiler.
TCTTS
AG
Besides, as stated above, that was all in the Vanity Fair article.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Anything you've learned from plot leaks and not official clips or trailers, I think a lot of people would rather not know.
TCTTS
AG
I haven't done either of those things. And again, the info I posted was released by Lucasfilm themselves in the Vanity Fair article. You guys need to chill out. There's WAY more to a movie than knowing minimal information about a setting or two.
TCTTS
AG
For the third time... it's in the Vanity Fair article. It's public knowledge sanctioned by Abrams himself.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Third time? I hadn't seen you mention that once, but my mistake. Relax.
The Collective
AG
Guys, I haven't read any spoilers or even trailer discussion outside of this thread. I've only read official PR type stuff from Disney/Lucas. Given that information, I feel like that structure's identity is pretty much a given. I was guarded on whether or not it was a spoiler, as I'm sensitive to the issue, but... if that is a spoiler - might as well end this thread today and wait for the movie in the dark.
TCTTS
AG
Amen.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Nah, if it was released in an official capacity, it can't be considered a spoiler. My initial post was before I knew it was in the article. No worries.
TCTTS
AG
For context...

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Now you've spoiled me that Annie Lebowitz works for Maz.
The Collective
AG
I don't even know if it was in the article directly. I haven't read it in awhile, but the character is described as living in a castle where smugglers & travelers gather. Han seems to be leading the way in the trailer. Building has lots of flags (welcoming perhaps?). Makes sense to me.

edit: I see the article portion is now linked above
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Now that I watch it over and over, it kind of looks like Finn is thinking "did that honky just put his hands on me?"

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
The shot that makes Spilner seriously consider cryo-freezing himself and setting the timer for Dec. 17.

AgMarauder04
AG
quote:
I haven't done either of those things. And again, the info I posted was released by Lucasfilm themselves in the Vanity Fair article. You guys need to chill out. There's WAY more to a movie than knowing minimal information about a setting or two.
I didn't mean to imply you had. I was just making a general statement about the nature of spoilers. I apologize if that came across as a finger wag
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
MOUSE DROID!

TCTTS
AG
April 17, 2014 - Very first spy photo from the set:

October 19, 2015 - As it appears in the trailer:

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
The shot that makes Spilner seriously consider cryo-freezing himself and setting the timer for Dec. 17.

The Falcon shot was my favorite, but I'll take you up on that cryo-freezing.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
MOUSE DROID!

"Intensify forward firepower."

"IT'S TOO LATE!"
TCTTS
AG
I'm reading some speculation that that "wall" is where the planet "opens up" to reveal the weapon in the poster. How cool would that be?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Interesting, hadn't even noticed it. Just saw the Death Star-looking trench on the ground.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
quote:

The Falcon shot was my favorite, but I'll take you up on that cryo-freezing.
I've got an open spot right between Walt Disney and Ted Williams' severed head.
TCTTS
AG
Actually, you may be right in it being a trench. Either way, if they actually show the planet opening up along that ridge... oh, man...
Ag Since 83
AG
I'm going to disagree with the notion that if its in a Vanity Fair article it's not a spoiler. Lucasfilm can definitely spoil their own movie. There is stuff on their website which has been posted on this thread that I wish I didn't know (particularly about the base)
JCRiley09
AG
quote:
I'm reading some speculation that that "wall" is where the planet "opens up" to reveal the weapon in the poster. How cool would that be?
I've been trying to watch that gif over and over to see if I can convince myself that the trench is actually expanding.
TCTTS
AG
Then why on earth would venture into a thread on the internet discussing the basics of the movie?
The Collective
AG
One other thing to consider in all of the official information provided is that there is surely some misdirection.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
I'm going to disagree with the notion that if its in a Vanity Fair article it's not a spoiler. Lucasfilm can definitely spoil their own movie. There is stuff on their website which has been posted on this thread that I wish I didn't know (particularly about the base)
Trying not to click on the thread is tough I know.

First Page Last Page
Page 219 of 1257

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.