Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,858,811 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by TCTTS
Fat Bib Fortuna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
This ticket situation is insane! How much in presales is this suppose to make?

I understand the hype was huge in 1999, but was it this level? Give some insight to a kid who was 8 at the time if you guys don't mind
The Internet was a slower place back then. Social media was limited. No Twitter, no Libro del Cara, no Instagram. Hell I didn't even have a cell phone yet.

Aintitcoolnews and TheForce.net had most of the scoops, along with LatinoReview.

The teaser trailer came out with a few movies, among them luminaries like Meet Joe Black and the Waterboy, and it was on TV the next night on Entertainment Tonight, at the time hosted by future Nobel Peace Prize winner Mary Hart.

You could watch the trailer online if you had quicktime and about 90 hours to spare downloading it.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
Prediction/guess: The person Rey says "let it in" to is Luke, not Finn
Agreed.

BTW, on what appears to be the snow planet Rey is clearly very upset/crying over something. Perhaps the reveal of Kylo during the fight of Finn and Kylo? Or perhaps someone bites it?
LeonardSkinner
quote:
BTW, how about those lens flares in the first Kylo scene?

It was Star Wars, but it was also clearly Abrams.
Ulrich
quote:
Super weapon and exposed shafts 2 meters wide are confirmed!
Sorry for the confusion, but that's just my nerd boner.

I'm usually pretty phlegmatic, but I didn't realize until the end of the trailer that I had stopped breathing. Wow. If I can't get tickets tonight (and Santikos site is DOWN), I will pay an exorbitant amount to a scalper to be there opening night.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Alamo draft house is down.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:

I understand the hype was huge in 1999, but was it this level? Give some insight to a kid who was 8 at the time if you guys don't mind
Guarantee it's already made around $10 million opening night.
LeonardSkinner
quote:
quote:

The Internet was a slower place back then. Social media was limited. No Twitter, no Libro del Cara, no Instagram. Hell I didn't even have a cell phone yet.

Aintitcoolnews and TheForce.net had most of the scoops, along with LatinoReview.

The teaser trailer came out with a few movies, among them luminaries like Meet Joe Black and the Waterboy, and it was on TV the next night on Entertainment Tonight, at the time hosted by future Nobel Peace Prize winner Mary Hart.

You could watch the trailer online if you had quicktime and about 90 hours to spare downloading it.

And then we had to walk uphill and camp out in the snow for two weeks if we wanted tickets. You kids don't know how easy you have it, with your "fandango."
Flashdiaz
AG
quote:
quote:
Super weapon and exposed shafts 2 meters wide are confirmed!
Sorry for the confusion, but that's just my nerd boner.

I'm usually pretty phlegmatic, but I didn't realize until the end of the trailer that I had stopped breathing. Wow. If I can't get tickets tonight (and Santikos site is DOWN), I will pay an exorbitant amount to a scalper to be there opening night.
tickets are available in person if you're that hard up.
wangus12
AG
Wow fandango fits well there
Ulrich
...so if anyone has a spare ticket to the Palladium Imax, I'm looking.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

And then we had to walk uphill and camp out in the snow for two weeks if we wanted tickets. You kids don't know how easy you have it, with your "fandango."
Yes, i waited outside the theater at beltway 8 west and westheimer in houston for 8 hours to get my tickets for opening day. -
Ag Since 83
AG
One of my favorite Onion headlines of all time: "President Clinton takes leave of absence to stand in line for Star Wars Episode I tickets"
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Seen it three times, and it gets better each time.
Ulrich
Thanks for the tip. I just called in, it sounds like they are pretty much sold out already anyway. It sounds like they will probably open up some mid-day showings eventually, so I'll just stay on top of it or pick some up on craigslist or wherever.
lunchbox
quote:
Thanks for the tip. I just called in, it sounds like they are pretty much sold out already anyway. It sounds like they will probably open up some mid-day showings eventually, so I'll just stay on top of it or pick some up on craigslist or wherever.

I don't know why they don't have it playing 24x7...at least through the first weekend.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
quote:

I don't know why they don't have it playing 24x7...at least through the first weekend.

Theater in Tomball has screenings all day. Even at 3 in the morning.
Keegan99
AG
In 1999... The QuickTime movie trailers site was born after Apple reached out to LucasFilm to help with the online distribution of the trailer. LucasFilm had no online strategy and scrambled after bootlegs started making the rounds.
Ulrich
I'm sure they will, but for now Thursday showings start at 7 with the last one at 1:10 am Thursday night/Friday morning. By the 17th I'm sure they will be running 24/7 all weekend, probably for several weekends.
AnglerAg92
AG
quote:

Just watched the trailer. When I heard the female voice towards the end of the trailer, I pictured it being Leia speaking to Finn or Rey.
AliasMan02
AG
So... "finish what you started..."

Exterminating the Jedi?
Bringing order to the galaxy?
Destroying the Empire?
HiddenAg2
quote:
quote:
Agreed.

BTW, on what appears to be the snow planet Rey is clearly very upset/crying over something. Perhaps the reveal of Kylo during the fight of Finn and Kylo? Or perhaps someone bites it?
A major character will almost certainly die in battle, thus her tears. This is going to be an emotional movie no doubt for the diehard fans.
Ulrich
I'm also planning to marathon the first 6, but I'll do that at the house several weeks before. That way I can more easily take my traditional naps during I and II and sometimes parts of VI, plus I won't be sick of it by kickoff.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
So we've got the final trailer, and I've got my opening night ticket.

Now I just have to make sure I don't die before December 17th...
Engine10
AG
The world and visuals that have been created just feel epic and expansive. There just seems like there is so much room for all the action, as well as the drama/exploration (Daisy exploring the ship in the opening cut). I love this so much.
AliasMan02
AG
Daisy is just gorgeous...
AcctAg11
AG
The Xwing vs TIE battle and the throwback music really do it for me.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
quote:
BTW, how about those lens flares in the first Kylo scene?
Honestly, if JJ didn't include at least ONE lens flare, I think people would seriously be disappointed.

Sure, we joke about it, but we would be let down if he didn't put one in.
Engine10
AG
Love the way that the trailers have been released. Can begin to piece together a few scenes (like the x-wings flying in low over the water, alternate shot of them incoming tonight) but no huge points given away yet.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
quote:
The ONLY movie I've ever seen do this before was waayyyy back in 95 with Independence Day. I guess there were too many empty seats nationwide to justify any studio since doing this again.
Ulrich
A buddy of mine claims that some theaters are staffing up to keep the theaters open 24/7 for several weekends. Says he knows some managers etc. A bit fish pond maintainerish, but not completely unbelievable either.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
quote:
So... "finish what you started..."

Exterminating the Jedi?
Bringing order to the galaxy?
Destroying the Empire?
Ruling the galaxy as Father and Son

I think Ren "thinks" it is one thing, but in the end it is bringing balance to the force.
jabberwalkie09
AG
We still haven't seen Mark Hammill, Domhall Gleeson, Max von Sydow, or Andy Serkis (up close anyways) in any of the trailers. I like this move by Abrams. I like it a lot. I think he gets the idea that there needs to be enough hidden to make the movie going experience special.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TajMaballer
AG
https://www.facebook.com/DaisyRidleyOfficial/videos/484805271680419/
OnlyForNow
AG
Luke is touching r2 in that one part of the oldest trailer we have.
First Page Last Page
Page 215 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.