Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,860,312 Views | 43820 Replies | Last: 9 min ago by The Porkchop Express
Fat Bib Fortuna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TCTTS said:

You're the second person today I've randomly seen suggest The Social Dilemma. I hadn't even heard of it prior, but will definitely check it out now.
To quote John Travolta in Pulp Fiction you'd dig it the most. It's a mix of "drama" with the kid who plays Gideon on Righteous Gemstones and real-life interviews with some real foundational-level people from Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Google, etc. talking about what those sites have become. Putting aside party lines, you can really understand where so much of the extreme split in the US has come from in recent years.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

I'll have to consider giving TC a shout, although I fear if we actually are in the same place at the same time and shake hands, the Universe might shatter upon itself.
Remember that this guy warned against something like this ...

Malachi Constant
AG

From Reddit. Always wondered this myself...
ChipFTAC01
AG
Wouldn't his plan (and pretty much all Sith apprentice's) be to replace the top dog with himself? Or am I reading too much into a meme?

Thats why Palps had Dooku cut off Ventress when she got to be a little too powerful.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Dooku knew nothing about the plan to turn Anakin. (As far as I can recall from the films, anyway.)

He tried to turn Obi-Wan, actually. I think that was his play to overthrow Palps.

You can see on his face how surprised he was when Palpatine ordered Anakin to kill him. I don't know if he knew until that moment what was happening.
Duncan Idaho
You are just now starting to write this book? Redstone and his wife read it when it was first proposed.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Muck, reading about your super fan really makes me want to get my kids watching SW. I was home sick with my almost 4 year old son and we watched a little of a Lego SW short and he totally didn't understand what was going on. But this morning his (also almost 4yo) sister was watching a Star Trek inspired episode of Bubble Guppies and he was so scared of a George Takei voiced Major Bummer that he had to leave the room. Definitely don't think he's ready for the Rancor Pit.

ChipFTAC01
AG
I wonder if you could name a bar the Rancor Pit or would Disney slap you with a c&d?
Duncan Idaho
Without a doubt
YouBet
AG
This may be retconning a bit but Dooku's plan was to overthrow the Emperor according to TCW. How he did that and with what apprentice I'm not sure he ultimately cared if it was Ventress or Kenobi.
bluefire579
AG
YouBet said:

This may be retconning a bit but Dooku's plan was to overthrow the Emperor according to TCW. How he did that and with what apprentice I'm not sure he ultimately cared if it was Ventress or Kenobi.
It was in AotC as well, specifically when he tries to get Obi Wan to join him

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Blatant Disregard said:

From Reddit. Always wondered this myself...
In the novelization of ROTS by Matthew Stover,which I don't know if it is still cannon or not, Dooku lobbies Sidious as late as right before Ani and Obi "rescue" the Chancellor on Grievous's ship, wants to use Obi-Wan instead of Anakin in their plan to take control of the Republic because he thinks as Qui-Gon's Padawan, Obi-Wan would be more malleable to a looser interpretation of the Force.

In Dooku's POV chapter or section, the idea Palpatine has convinced him on is that Anakin "captures" Dooku and saves Palpatine but Obi-Wan gets killed in the process. Dooku then points them to where Grievous is and Grievous is scapegoated as the real power of the CIS. Anakin kills Grievous to solidify his status as Hero of the Republic, then Palpatine flips the switch on Order 66 and claims Jedi Rebellion - the Jedi Order starts over with Dooku taking over Yoda's role and Anakin as military leader - basically what he does as Vader in the Empire. Dooku throws out the "taking kids at birth" stuff and make the Order open to anyone with the potential. Except they all start learning to be Sith, not Jedi.

Obviously, Palpatine didn't really want any of that - especially not training zillions of rivals to his rule. But it was a good story to bring Dooku in on.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

Muck, reading about your super fan really makes me want to get my kids watching SW. I was home sick with my almost 4 year old son and we watched a little of a Lego SW short and he totally didn't understand what was going on. But this morning his (also almost 4yo) sister was watching a Star Trek inspired episode of Bubble Guppies and he was so scared of a George Takei voiced Major Bummer that he had to leave the room. Definitely don't think he's ready for the Rancor Pit.

One of my friends got my girls a Star Wars A to Z book when they were just starting to understand letters, and I had it in my car along with several others to choose from on our trips to school and about town. So they were all about a bunch of the characters and stuff even before they had seen the movies, and it's how my super fan fell in love with Yoda as kids are wont to do.

My other girl only likes Rey, Chewie, Leia, the droids, Max Reebo, Jar Jar, and the Porgs but she was very scared of Vader, Kylo Ren, Darth Maul, and Sheev for the longest time. I would definitely suggest getting him a book or two to read first so he knows the characters before they start moving around and growling at him.

I do miss those Bubble Guppy days. i remain firmly convinced that Mr. Grouper never had a lesson plan for the kids and every morning he's totally hung over and thinking "I hope one of those little punks saw something interesting on the way to school, or I'm totally exposed." I have seen the episode where Molly's baby sister is born and the one with Santa Claws probably 50 times each.
ChipFTAC01
AG
I'm really impressed with some of the cartoons on Nickelodeon. Bubble Guppies, Paw Patrol, Blaze all have nice little narratives but a nice educational component as well. While 80s cartoons were far superior I wasn't learning too much from HeMan.

Edit: Sorry for the derail.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

I'm really impressed with some of the cartoons on Nickelodeon. Bubble Guppies, Paw Patrol, Blaze all have nice little narratives but a nice educational component as well. While 80s cartoons were far superior I wasn't learning too much from HeMan.

Edit: Sorry for the derail.
What happened to the cartoon tournament?!?!
ChipFTAC01
AG
I have it all laid out and seeded but due to restrictions against Google apps on my work computer (which is what I use 99% of the time) it was a pain for me to copy and paste everything over. I need to get a hub for my wife's laptop so I can have the monitors hooked up to it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Pretty interesting, actually. Good stuff.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

I have it all laid out and seeded but due to restrictions against Google apps on my work computer (which is what I use 99% of the time) it was a pain for me to copy and paste everything over. I need to get a hub for my wife's laptop so I can have the monitors hooked up to it.
If I had let work get in the way of doing the tournaments, I'd be much, much wealthier right now.
Gangnam Style
AG
Someone on r/prequelmemes painted an incredible lo-fi Ahsoka drawing. Figured to share.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
YouBet
AG
Am I crazy or did Liam Neeson announce after TPM that he was retiring from acting which he obviously reneged on?

I swear that happened.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
After Natasha Richardson passed away so tragically, I believe he started doing action movies like Taken as a conduit for his emotions and to just try and get his mind off WTF that had to happen with some really intense jobs.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I heard Liam Neeson was actually going around Europe and beating the **** out of gangsters and kidnappers. Luckily someone decided to grab a camera and follow him around and film it all.
exitone
AG
Gangnam Style said:

Someone on r/prequelmemes painted an incredible lo-fi Ahsoka drawing. Figured to share.

If I wasn't so lazy, I would translate the aurebesh.
Flashdiaz
AG
She's reading a blog "so you quit the Jedi order, now what?"
redline248
AG
Window seal seems like a negligent place to leave a lightsaber. All it takes is that cat to act like a cat and then VRRRRTTT, no more cat.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
T-minus 30 minutes.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Got the first book interview done yesterday.

The next one is scheduled for Wednesday next week. It's the big one.
redline248
AG
Yesterday was muck's training day. How high do authors get?
jeffk
AG
Flashdiaz said:

She's reading a blog "so you quit the Jedi order, now what?"

She's writing a seven page preface for her latest recipe on her food blog.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Got the first book interview done yesterday.

The next one is scheduled for Wednesday next week. It's the big one.
Let me guess, Harrison Ford's trashman?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Even when the guy appeared on the other end of the zoom call I still didn't really believe I was doing this. I was like Wayne on Wayne's world when he realizes Aerosmith is in his breakfast nook.
First Page Last Page
Page 977 of 1253

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.