Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,858,887 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by TCTTS
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Meh. Neither confirmed, nor a surprise really.
Yeah, I just finished the Darth Maul / Savage arc in The Clone Wars and his character lost alot for me after that arc. I think I liked him better when he was more of a mystery and didn't talk much.
Hagen95
AG
I agree. I wish they would have left him alone and stopped bringing him back again (and again). It's not like there was a limited number of characters in a galaxy to make a bad guy out of.
AliasMan02
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
YouBet said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Yeah, I just finished the Darth Maul / Savage arc in The Clone Wars and his character lost alot for me after that arc. I think I liked him better when he was more of a mystery and didn't talk much.
Who cares? When is Disney+ bringing him back for its series "Toad: The Early Years"?
TXAG 05
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Also, I was only mildly interested in seeing more Maul before. Without Ray Park, my interest has dropped to zero.

What difference does it make? You could put in someone else and no one would have any idea. It wasn't even his voice you heard in Phantom Menace.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
He is the essence of Maul. Even in Clone Wars, he was providing the choreography with motion capture.

Without him, it's just not Darth Maul.

Besides, there's just so many other characters I'd be more interested in exploring in a new series. Obi-Wan (obviously), young Leia, young Qui-Gon...hell, maybe even a young Dooku.

Maul is badass, but I just don't know if there's much there post-TCW for a good story. Especially since we know it can't involve Obi-Wan.
YouBet
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

YouBet said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Who cares? When is Disney+ bringing him back for its series "Toad: The Early Years"?
I can see it...even already in red.

jeffk
AG
He only mo-capped for one episode in Clone Wars. I think the character can be used without him. Aren't you the guy who couldn't bring himself to watch Rebels because of how thin the lightsabers were or something?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yeah, and I'm still not interested. How is that relevant?

Also, a live action Darth Maul without Ray Park is not the same as animation. Just not interested in it.
jeffk
AG
I think you have weird hang-ups with shows.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

Sorry, but those aren't lightsabers.
gougler08
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Sorry, but those aren't lightsabers.
I mean, it bothers me too, but I'm watching the show right now and really like the story (in season 2)
Chipotlemonger
AG
For 99.9% of fans, who portrays Maul of all people matters probably slim to none.
jeffk
AG
Lol, actually agree with the critique but don't let it become a hangup that prevents me from enjoying the show. Same with Park. I'm sure I'd prefer his involvement with Maul going forward, but him not being there isn't going to keep me from enjoying a Maul with someone else. It's just interesting to me how you make decisions about how you engage (or don't) with Star Wars offerings.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

For 99.9% of fans, who portrays Maul of all people matters probably slim to none.
For 99.9% of people, Darth Maul is dead.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Even more reason it doesn't matter who plays him
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
To you.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
13 emmy noms for Mando, including 1 for Giancarlo Esposito for guest role; he also got nominated for Better Call Saul
exitone
AG
jeffk said:

He only mo-capped for one episode in Clone Wars. I think the character can be used without him. Aren't you the guy who couldn't bring himself to watch Rebels because of how thin the lightsabers were or something?
True, but this was probably the best CW episode ever, and in the top 3 lightsaber duels across all movies and shows.

'Ray's movements' and 'Mauls look' are what really distinguishes this character. I think they can cover the look with using Sam Witwer, painted face and maybe pad a few muscles here and there. But the fight scenes without Ray are where you would lose the essence of Maul. That being said, Maul is an old man now and probably not as agile as he used to be in his jedi-a$$ kicking days. Plus, as a crime syndicate czar, he has other people to do that for him now. So if Maul is more there for his devious and diabolical schemes as opposed to his a kicking skills, it should work.

YouBet
AG
Quite a bit of hate running through this thread right now.

Good....good.
Decay
AG
See I thought they'd just lean into it and start a xxx-spinoff. It's one of the few markets they haven't, uh, penetrated yet.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
IMO, the one that Mandalorian has a real shot at is best music.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Good points, and well said.
jeffk
AG
Yeah, I got the impression that Maul would be more of a behind the scenes guy from here on out anyway. Maybe a big rage scene where he gets after some folks with his saber, but nothing like he did in Episode One or CW. I think a non-Park actor and new stunt guys can pull that off fine.

I do wonder how they'll get him to the point we find him in in Rebels though.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Would you watch Rebels if the lightsabers were replaced with foam fingers?

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The lightsabers are merely one symptom of the all around terrible animation. (IMO)

Yoda looks horrid.
Urban Ag
AG
So some obscure actor no one has ever heard of films himself getting a beej and posts it online. This leads to Disney firing him. Which leads to SW nerds on a college sports website arguing about the future of a character on a yet to be made cartoon, whom 99% of the population thinks died over 21 years ago.

If it wasn't 2020 I might find the above recap odd.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Correction: Live-action, not cartoon.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
TCTTS
AG

https://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2020/07/rumor-star-wars-might-makesolo2happen-with-a-disney-plus-series.html
jeffk
AG
Solo 2: Also Solo
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
jeffk
AG
Yes, that's much better.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
C@LAg said:

MuckRaker96 said:

13 emmy noms for Mando, including 1 for Giancarlo Esposito for guest role; he also got nominated for Better Call Saul
serious question.

Compared to other things that aired, do you think that Mando deserves noms for this guest role and for Best Drama?
I don't watch enough TV to give a good answer. My wheelhouse revolve around Mando, stranger things, Barry, You, Righteous Gemstones, and Living With Yourself - so when any of those shows get a nomination, I feel like I must be one of the cool kids.

Mando's music should win going away, and special effects as well. I would have rather seen Carl Weathers get nominated, I thought he was fantastic, and he's a guy who it's very difficult to see as anything other than Carl Weathers.

YouBet
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Love Mando but not sure I get this. But, I also have zero context to compare him to anything else as I watch so very little TV.
First Page Last Page
Page 964 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.