Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,860,219 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 9 hrs ago by TCTTS
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
I'd take seeing 10 minutes of the Force Awakens tomorrow over seeing all of Age of Ultron, Civil War and Infinity War I and II tomorrow.

I think I agree with this. But I'm the type of person to take a week off of work to go to Anaheim for Celebration this year, so I'm probably an outlier.

Knife_Party
quote:
I'd take seeing 10 minutes of the Force Awakens tomorrow over seeing all of Age of Ultron, Civil War and Infinity War I and II tomorrow.
fig96
AG
So Disney surprised us all and launched all six films on iTunes and other online video services last night, pre-order now and arriving Friday.

Looks like the "new" versions, unfortunately, but at least there appear to be some new extras:
http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/6/8357987/star-wars-digital-hd-collection-itunes-google-play

AliasMan02
AG
Can't recommend the "despecialized" versions enough.
fig96
AG
Don't think anyone would argue that one, they just aren't easily available.
double aught
AG
They can keep all the other changes as long as Han shoots first.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:

I thought that for a long time (plus the Han/Jabba scene), but seriously find the youtube video of the special edition versus the despecialized, and you realize how invasive the changes are.

Edit: this is it, I think.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
Agreed.

Way more good changes than bad.
double aught
AG
I agree. I just find the Greedo scene to be the worst/most insulting........by far.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
Way more good changes than bad.
There were indeed some good changes and clean up... but it's the obtrusive added stuff that really got me. In particular, the Jabba's palace alien music video was not only unnecessary, but so blatantly ridiculous and out of place I have no room to even fathom what the hell Lucas was thinking.

I mean, the film opens relatively dark... our hero's are trying to escape from the bad crap that happened to them in Empire. We are literally right in the middle of this conflict when Lucas decides... hey, who wants some very poorly done CG aliens to come around and start singing a goofy song! And guess what, we'll even get some extreme close-sups of said alien's mouth as he goes for the high notes.

I guess it makes me a nerd if that scene literally makes me angry!
fig96
AG
quote:
I agree. I just find the Greedo scene to be the worst/most insulting........by far.
For sure. Most of the others are just cosmetic and/or annoying, but that one changes the very core of how we first perceived his character.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Touch on the alien singing being a terrible addition. Right below Greedo shooting first for me.
Saxsoon
AG
Apparently I am too young to give a **** on these things.
Cyprian
AG
I think I'll know when the trailer comes out by looking at the number of new replies this thread has in my watch list
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
Apparently I am too young to give a **** on these things.
Yeah dude... gotta realize that there were limited options back then. My grandpa happened to be one of the first adopters of VHS and recorded Star Wars off HBO or something. I watched those movies countless times... wasn't much else to choose from and the movies were of course awesome.

So yeah, any minor deviation from the originals REALLY stands out to us older folk who literally wore out the VHS tape watching them.
Saxsoon
AG
I do remember when I was younger (after seeing the original) being shocked that somethings were different. Just originally chalked it up to bad memory on my part that I couldn't remember the added on stuff. Only years later did I realize the stuff added.

I do admittedly like some of the added stuff on Tatooine as they ride into town.
Saxsoon
AG
I agree that greedo shot first and hayden christiansen in the end are just terribad. But a lot of the other ones (not cgi related) seemed relatively minor such as changes in dialogue or camera shots.

What stands out to you guys?
israeliag
AG
Adding the ghost of Anakin at the end :/
Knife_Party
I don't like the addition of Han talking to Jabba in front of the Falcon. I actually like most of the cgi editions (minus some of the singing cgi scenes).
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Most of the changes in the movies were either annoying ( CGI Jabba, dance stuff, Anakin blue glowie) or good ( CGI extra fighters and stuff, )but didn't really change the theme of the movie. The Greedo shooting first though is what most "true" fans despise because it was a total PC move on Lucas and changed the perception of Han's character.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
I don't like the addition of Han talking to Jabba in front of the Falcon. I actually like most of the cgi editions (minus some of the singing cgi scenes).

Most have not aged well.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Which do y'all prefer?
Saxsoon
AG
2004 in that case
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Really the worst parts of the Jabba and Han and Han/Greedo additions is that they really probably knew that it didn't look that great. That it looked disjointed - Han walking over Jabba's tail, Han's head moving bizarrely. That's what angers me more than the actual content.

The one that really bugs me is when they have Vader returning to his "Star Destroyer" after he loses Luke at the end of ESB - it's obviously not James Earl Jones' voice, and it's obvious that his Star Destroyer is an extra cut from when he arrives at the Death Star II at the beginning of ROTJ.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I can't recall what scene you're talking about. When he's using the force to talk to Luke?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Before that, they have him walk back to his shuttle saying "Command my star destroyer to prepare for my arrival" followed by a CGI shot of him walking out on a landing pad. The word "arrival" is awful. It's just a dumb scene - like we have to be told that Vader isn't staying on Cloud City, but going back to his ship.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Ah, yeah. I didn't realize that wasn't originally in there. It does seem unnecessary. The original line was "bring my shuttle", from what I read. Much better line.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It was JEJ though.

quote:
Q: Who's voice was used for Darth Vader in the Special Edition of The Empire Strikes Back? I'm talking about the part when he says "Alert my Star Destroyer to prepare for my arrival."
A: That was James Earl Jones. The line was recorded for A New Hope but never used.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
I can't recall what scene you're talking about. When he's using the force to talk to Luke?
I think I know what he's talking about... pretty sure it was a 100% new shot with Vader walking through a corridor in cloud city and he says something strange... like "prepare my star destroyer for my arrival"... something like that. Completely random scene. I guess it's purpose is to assume the audience are morons and we couldn't possibly figure out how Vader could be on could city in one scene and then on the Star Destroyer in another.

The poster above is correct in that it sounded off... did not sound the same as the Vader voice we'd heard the entire movie. Like some of the other added items, it just didn't fit in well with a 20+ year old film.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
Ah, yeah. I didn't realize that wasn't originally in there. It does seem unnecessary. The original line was "bring my shuttle", from what I read. Much better line.
Haha... looks like we are all jumping on the answer and I think we were all pretty close.

Was the "bring my shuttle" line used originally? I was thinking that scene of him walking in the corridor was completely new. Perhaps it was just the dialogue that changed and the scene was there originally. I can't remember anymore, but I do remember that scene sticking out like a sore thumb as being a not so subtle change.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Wow, had never seen the original, it is badass. Vader is pissed. Why on earth change it?

double aught
AG
Never noticed this before. What a weird, pointless thing to change.
heddleston
AG
quote:
Which do y'all prefer?

i honestly prefer 1980. I like that it keeps the Emperor this dark spooky mystery that you dont truly face until ROJ (assuming you dont watch the prequels).
israeliag
AG
Adding Anakin's ghost is pretty bad: the young Anakin is next to an old Ben... uph.

I actually kinda liked the Han meeting Jabba in New Hope, since it adds some more background, but it wasn't executed that well.
First Page Last Page
Page 96 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.