Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,858,919 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by TCTTS
TXAG 05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Flashdiaz said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

I like Mandolorian, but it blows my mind that no one recognizes the force despite it taking place not long after the fall of the Empire. I mean the Jedi were around in huge numbers and leading the clone armies like what, 25 years prior? How is it this huge mystery?

most probably didn't believe in the force because they didn't see it first hand.

Sure there were Jedi leading the clone armies but how many of them were there in relation to the entire population of the galaxy...probably less than 0.01% of the population. Even then the jedi were either hanging around other jedi or clones.

Monks exist in our world yet I don't recall seeing one in real life lately.

Even Han Solo didn't believe in the force and he had been around the block a few times.
Grimey
I think people underestimate the number of people in the SW galaxy. Conservative estimates put it in the quadrillions. That's 1,000,000,000,000,000+ people of whom roughly 10,000 were Jedi. Statistically, it would be very rare for any one person to see a Jedi. Add to this the increasingly hermetic and inner-focused Order of the Skywalker era and you have many many planets (of which there are millions) that have literally never seen a Jedi.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
That's one of the things I really liked about Mando - neither he nor Nick Nolte had the faintest idea what Baby Yoda was about. By the time Mando was in the adult world there were zero Jedi to write home about. You could live your whole life on some random planet never knowing who Palpatine or Vader were either. You're way too worried about your own local stormtrooper patrols and whoever the thug is running your town to bother with galactic politics.

Palpatine probably knew more about the Jedi than anyone who wasn't a Jedi and must have visited the Temple at least once or twice during his chancellorship - I'm sure he had that place stripped down to the bare bones after Order 66.

I once started a fanfic set during ANH where after Solo sees Kenobi use the lightsaber he pulls up the Imperial Most Wanted list and there's a permanent bounty for information leading to the whereabouts of anyone claiming to be a Jedi or practicing the Jedi religion. Obi-Wan confronts him on it and they work out a deal for more $$ for safe passage in exchange for Han's silence. Obi-Wan then helps him fix something that is keeping the Falcon from operating at maximum efficiency and the repair allows them to reach Alderaan about 6 hours before the Death Star rolls up. I didn't really know where it was going so I never finished it, but I always liked the idea of the Empire basically having a call center somewhere for a Jedi info hotline, and if you had anything credible, they rolled out the big guns on every tip.
YouBet
AG
schmiddy94 said:

Ha that's funny...when I heard Texas then Dez and Troy I immediately thought he named them after Dez Bryant and Troy Aikman.
But that's the joke!
Ulrich
Grimey said:

I think people underestimate the number of people in the SW galaxy. Conservative estimates put it in the quadrillions. That's 1,000,000,000,000,000+ people of whom roughly 10,000 were Jedi. Statistically, it would be very rare for any one person to see a Jedi. Add to this the increasingly hermetic and inner-focused Order of the Skywalker era and you have many many planets (of which there are millions) that have literally never seen a Jedi.
Put another way a bunch of other ways... lets say there are 10,000 Jedi and they all live in:
Houston - there are about 10,000 Sikhs in Houston. How many Sikhs do you know?
Texas - there are 14,000 Baha'i in Texas. How many Baha'i do you know?
United States - there are 10,000 Nordic Pagans (aka believe in Odin and Thor) in the US. How many Nordic Pagans do you know?
Earth - I can't find a religion that small. But if you spread the 10,000 people evenly across the world's population, there would only be 40 in Texas

Earth has 7 billion people. Coruscant alone has 2 trillion. If you took 10,000 people and spread them over Coruscant, an area the population of the US would have one or two Jedi. How many of you know second ward commissioner Milinda Ysasi of Grand Rapids Michigan?

If there are 1 quadrillion people (500x the population of Coruscant) in the Old Republic, that is one Jedi for every 100 billion people, which is approximately all the humans who have ever lived on Earth.
redline248
AG
Quote:

I once started a fanfic set during ANH where after Solo sees Kenobi use the lightsaber he pulls up the Imperial Most Wanted list and there's a permanent bounty for information leading to the whereabouts of anyone claiming to be a Jedi or practicing the Jedi religion. Obi-Wan confronts him on it and they work out a deal for more $$ for safe passage in exchange for Han's silence. Obi-Wan then helps him fix something that is keeping the Falcon from operating at maximum efficiency and the repair allows them to reach Alderaan about 6 hours before the Death Star rolls up. I didn't really know where it was going so I never finished it, but I always liked the idea of the Empire basically having a call center somewhere for a Jedi info hotline, and if you had anything credible, they rolled out the big guns on every tip.

Well now you have to finish it.

Although, I feel like the emperor probably didn't want Tatooine Tom or Naboo Nikki to really think about the Jedi. Let Vader and the Imperial army deal with any rumors, and reeducate the populace that we were always at war with Eurasia.

Han grew up on the streets after the Jedi were gone. He was in the imperial navy/army for a while. As far as he was concerned, the Jedi were ancient (although one could argue he used that the way we refer to dial up as the stone age). But he certainly was no believer of the force, and possibly never heard about it before he took the trip to Alderaan.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Cstrickland05 said:

Flashdiaz said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

I like Mandolorian, but it blows my mind that no one recognizes the force despite it taking place not long after the fall of the Empire. I mean the Jedi were around in huge numbers and leading the clone armies like what, 25 years prior? How is it this huge mystery?

most probably didn't believe in the force because they didn't see it first hand.

Sure there were Jedi leading the clone armies but how many of them were there in relation to the entire population of the galaxy...probably less than 0.01% of the population. Even then the jedi were either hanging around other jedi or clones.

Even Han Solo didn't believe in the force and he had been around the block a few times.

Didn't believe in it and not knowing what it is are different things though. Han probably would have **** his pants and been an instant convert if he'd seen baby Yoda lifting that mudhorn with his mind or Luke pulling the X-wing from the swamp.

I haven't seen a monk in real life lately either, but I know they exist and know what they are. They were even on Tatooine for awhile. Luke was there only a few years earlier and knew about the force and Jedi as at least a legend. Even when Anakin was a kid there, they were very well known amongst the population. Bigger time difference there, but that's like us not knowing the milk man used to be a thing (and a milk man is not a pseudo legendary warrior or religion).

In the Mandolorian, it's like no one has ever even heard of it or Jedi to begin with. Like when the armorer talks to him about the Jedi being enemies of the Mandolorians, it's like they're ancient legends, but I feel like she had to be alive when they were around.
redline248
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

Cstrickland05 said:

Flashdiaz said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

Didn't believe in it and not knowing what it is are different things though. Han probably would have **** his pants and been an instant convert if he'd seen baby Yoda lifting that mudhorn with his mind or Luke pulling the X-wing from the swamp.

I haven't seen a monk in real life lately either, but I know they exist and know what they are. They were even on Tatooine for awhile. Luke was there only a few years earlier and knew about the force and Jedi as at least a legend. Even when Anakin was a kid there, they were very well known amongst the population. Bigger time difference there, but that's like us not knowing the milk man used to be a thing (and a milk man is not a pseudo legendary warrior or religion).

In the Mandolorian, it's like no one has ever even heard of it or Jedi to begin with. Like when the armorer talks to him about the Jedi being enemies of the Mandolorians, it's like they're ancient legends, but I feel like she had to be alive when they were around.

I don't know what exactly is the official stance, anymore, but I'm pretty sure the Mandalorian/Jedi conflict is ancient. By the time of episode 1, even, that was the stuff of legend. Obviously, the Mandalorians carried that tradition around with them almost as religiously as the Sith. There was instant animosity between Jango and Obi-Wan, and it was a point of contention in the clone wars with the ruler trying to be at peace with the Jedi/Republic. Someone had to tell the armorer about the Jedi, even if she was a kid when the empire took over. Whoever taught our Mando about his culture left it out or didn't know it.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
The Armorer definitely knows the Jedi because she encounters Ahsoka in Clone Wars.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Galaxy of Adventures has been killing it for the ESB 40th anniversary.

This one's not on YouTube yet, but on IO9.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/size-matters-not-in-this-exclusive-star-wars-animated-s-1843728145
AliasMan02
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Galaxy of Adventures has been killing it for the ESB 40th anniversary.

This one's not on YouTube yet, but on IO9.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/size-matters-not-in-this-exclusive-star-wars-animated-s-1843728145
That was awesome. Fandom Menace and the toxic fanboy community is all bent out of shape that it shows Leia running things at Echo Base instead of General Rieekan.
The Collective
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

The Armorer definitely knows the Jedi because she encounters Ahsoka in Clone Wars.

She also tells Mando about them, calls them sorcerers.
dave94
AG
AliasMan02 said:

That was awesome. Fandom Menace and the toxic fanboy community is all bent out of shape that it shows Leia running things at Echo Base instead of General Rieekan.
Ha, that makes me laugh.
TCTTS
AG
Episode five of Gallery is great. It's all about the puppetry and practical effects.

It's weird, TROS really, really soured me on Star Wars. Not retroactively or anything, but it gave me absolutely no excitement for the future. And I don't know that another movie or scripted series would have revitalized my interest again like this. Because it's proving to be the perfect remedy, after a nice little pallet cleanse. And that excitement isn't even really about The Mandalorian, per se - though it certainly makes me appreciate it more - rather, this series does a phenomenal job of simply highlighting what makes Star Wars Star Wars.

I can't imagine what the next three episodes will cover, but I can't wait. And surely the final episode - episode eight - will give us at least a glimpse of what's to come in Mandalorian season two, even if extremely brief, and even if just in the form of a quick little featurette or something.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
https://i.imgur.com/1FTL197.mp4
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Once again, they finish things off with a great Filoni monologue.
fig96
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Once again, they finish things off with a great Filoni monologue.
I would watch the weekly "Dave Filoni Explains Star Wars" show in a heartbeat.
Saxsoon
AG
About to watch 5. Episode 4 was stunning.

And yes give me a Dave Filoni podcast
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This fan artwork is sick.

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Rumors of Disney+ casting for live-action Ezra Bridger and live-action Thrawn for a show that would presumably pick up where Rebels ended when those two were sent through hyperspace to the Unknown Regions.

https://thedisinsider.com/2020/05/30/lucasfilm-reportedly-bringing-ezra-to-a-live-action-disney-series/

https://thedisinsider.com/2020/05/30/disney-lucasfilm-looking-to-cast-a-live-action-general-admiral-thrawn/
jeffk
AG
Would be a must-watch for me. Especially since Sabine and Ashoka would probably be along at some point.
The Collective
AG
I am down with whatever at this point... as long as it involves a Filoni character and he participates.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Rumors of Disney+ casting for live-action Ezra Bridger and live-action Thrawn for a show that would presumably pick up where Rebels ended when those two were sent through hyperspace to the Unknown Regions.

https://thedisinsider.com/2020/05/30/lucasfilm-reportedly-bringing-ezra-to-a-live-action-disney-series/

https://thedisinsider.com/2020/05/30/disney-lucasfilm-looking-to-cast-a-live-action-general-admiral-thrawn/

Ezra (Mena Massoud)

Thrawn (John Slattery)
Flashdiaz
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

I hope it doesn't turn into an Enemy Mine story line... especially because it was already done in Rebels.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
I could see something like that... actually.

1. Team up to defeat or evade local native wildlife / captors / pirates.
2. Save each other's life, cuddle (this is Disney afterall), and have that empathetic moment together
3. Find their way back to opposing sides with a curt nod of respect
4. All future scenarios that involve each other adversarially are sabotaged by the bond they now share.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I would suspect the show would find Sabine/Ahsoka finding Ezra and Thrawn years and years later working together on mutual objectives. Once they get over the shellshock of former enemies working together, they'd probably all end up helping some alrge objective.

Throughout the many incarnations of Thrawn, Timothy Zahn has made one thing clear, when it comes to performing his duties, Thrawn doesn't have a whole lot of political aspirations, he only wants to protect his peole and wipe out his opponents 100%. In the earlier Thrawn books, his entire point of aligning with Palpatine was his belief in the Empire helping the Chiss Ascendancy to help fight the "Far Outsiders" - Yuzhn Vong. He similarly tried to recruit Mara Jade on more than one occasion for simlar purposes, and did recruit Baron Soontir Fel successfully.

Man, I'm such a nerd.
Dro07
AG
this is all coming together nicely... They need to knock out the live performances of Ahsoka and Sabine for the rest to follow if not they need to keep it animated.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
looks like MakingStarWars.net is going off the deep end. I need someone to step up for my new scoops and rumors. If you'll recall a month ago or so the guy in charge posted a very long, very bad idea post about accusations against him that was a really , really dumb idea. I went to see if he had anything about the Ezra/Thrawn rumors today and he's wiped out every single post from all of May and it appears a number of his podcast partners have exited stage left.

TCTTS
AG
Honestly, good riddance. That's a void that will be filled in a heartbeat, once things are really moving and in production again.
The Collective
AG
MSW is a terrible website.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
im not really wanting to judge the guy's character, but he had incredible scoops in the early days of TFA and TLJ - drone shots from the Resistance base showing the Falcon and the xwings, the tree from Luke's island from TLJ.
TCTTS
AG
In agreement that his actual scoops were great in the early days. But even outside of his character, his writing was always so incredibly bad. For years, I had to read paragraphs he'd written multiple times just to understand what the hell he was talking about. It drove me insane. I get that he was running a Star Wars spoiler site - I wasn't expecting top tier journalism or anything like that - but man, he was so bad at just basic *reporting*. That, and his spoilers ended up being all over the place for TROS. So even if this whole implosion didn't happen, I didn't have much faith in him going forward.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
IO( has a great guide to Rebels if you want to watch only the best of the best.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-essential-star-wars-rebels-stories-every-fan-should-1843502861

Also, a guy at Jedi.net has an app you can use to make the lightsabers look normal if that bothers you.
YouBet
AG
May I ask a favor and we add a link to page 1 that shows the chronological timeline graphic of when everything has taken place? I'm constantly having to remind myself when stuff is happening out side of the OT for some reason.

Thanks!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Not a bad idea.

Edit: No idea why my OP was flagged, but it's added.
First Page Last Page
Page 953 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.