Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,858,830 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by TCTTS
M.C. Swag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Where did you get the file?
Duncan Idaho
Watched rise of skywalker last night....terrible.

The screencrush video on why it sucks is spot on.

I would have loved to see what a single director/writer team could have made.

GreasenUSA
AG
M.C. Swag said:

Where did you get the file?
https://texags.com/forums/13/topics/2440759/replies/56498397

From Brian's post here on the previous page.
GreasenUSA
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Watched rise of skywalker last night....terrible.

The screencrush video on why it sucks is spot on.

I would have loved to see what a single director/writer team could have made.

It's amazing how much I hated it the first time I saw it. I went back to the theater 2 weeks later with a better idea of what to expect, and ended up having a lot of fun. Showed it to my parents for a 3rd viewing about a month back, and enjoyed it even more.
Duncan Idaho
It was pretty and I can see where once you realize it is a terrible story, it can be fun. But for something you waited decades for....terrible
cbr
AG
ArmyAg2002 said:

cbr said:

The new movies have been on tv. It's just absolutely stunning how ****ty they are at the core. Especially the last 2. Pretty effects. Still good music. A couple of decent characters. But absolute **** movies. The prequels were hoakie at times and looked like bad cartoons but even they were better movies.

What a waste.

I really liked Rogue One and enjoyed Solo, but didnt really connect with the other new movies (and think Disney made a mistake making Star Wars land the sequal trilogy), but what has really suprised me is the reaction of my children.

My ten year old son finds the sequals to be fair and was far more interested in watching Rogue One or the originals over the weekend. My 10 year old daughter is a big fan of Rey, but not really the movies themselves. My younger two (4&2) only care about things exploding and prefer ESB and ROTJ.

I thought I preferred the OT and Rogue One becuase I grew up with the original films, but my kids can take or leave the new ST too.
Oh i am not including r1 or solo in that. R1 is easily the best of the entire sw genre other than star wars, imo. Those 2 are hands down the best, then esb, rotj, rots, then maybe solo. Mandolarian is very good too. The other sequels were just too hoakie and cartoony. Tfa was visually and audially refreshing, and rey had potential, but on the whole it was just too stupid to watch. Tlj was an active attempt to ruin the series. The last one was just a rushed attempt to fix tlj and a very poor extremely low iq movie.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Nope, Season 6.

The Bad Batch arc really doesn't come into the final arc at all.
Ag Since 83
AG
I agree that season 6 arc was really strong and a nice lead in to the final episodes
ArmyAg2002
AG
cbr said:

ArmyAg2002 said:

cbr said:

The new movies have been on tv. It's just absolutely stunning how ****ty they are at the core. Especially the last 2. Pretty effects. Still good music. A couple of decent characters. But absolute **** movies. The prequels were hoakie at times and looked like bad cartoons but even they were better movies.

What a waste.

I really liked Rogue One and enjoyed Solo, but didnt really connect with the other new movies (and think Disney made a mistake making Star Wars land the sequal trilogy), but what has really suprised me is the reaction of my children.

My ten year old son finds the sequals to be fair and was far more interested in watching Rogue One or the originals over the weekend. My 10 year old daughter is a big fan of Rey, but not really the movies themselves. My younger two (4&2) only care about things exploding and prefer ESB and ROTJ.

I thought I preferred the OT and Rogue One becuase I grew up with the original films, but my kids can take or leave the new ST too.
Oh i am not including r1 or solo in that. R1 is easily the best of the entire sw genre other than star wars, imo. Those 2 are hands down the best, then esb, rotj, rots, then maybe solo. Mandolarian is very good too. The other sequels were just too hoakie and cartoony. Tfa was visually and audially refreshing, and rey had potential, but on the whole it was just too stupid to watch. Tlj was an active attempt to ruin the series. The last one was just a rushed attempt to fix tlj and a very poor extremely low iq movie.

Yup, my kids and I are huge fans of the Mandalorian. It's great. I mostly agree on the movies, but ESB is my favorite.
The Collective
AG
Kids have always loved ESB. The entire sequence on Hoth is timeless and pulls even a younger viewer in quick.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I think 99.999% of fans are in agreement about ESB being the best Star Wars movie.
Duncan Idaho
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I think 99.999% of fans are in agreement about ESB being the best Star Wars movie.

Not enough sand or politics
Claude!
Brian Earl Spilner said:

ESB is probably a better movie, but ANH will always be my favorite.
The Collective
AG
Claude! said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

ESB is probably a better movie, but ANH will always be my favorite.

This is true for many who experienced it at the theater. I was born in 83, so my nostalgia is completely wrapped up in the VHS experience.
dave94
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Nope, Season 6.

The Bad Batch arc really doesn't come into the final arc at all.
Ohhh, sorry, I thought you meant this arc because of the inhibitor chip

edit: I'm totally misremembering when everything happened. That's what happens when you binge the whole series in the last month. My bad!
Agsrback12
Just watched the rise of Skywalker. Weak. Terrible.

My 9 year old daughter cannot stand the sequels. I guess due to watching the original trilogy prior to starting the new trilogy. She likes the first six better then the last three. I agree. They completely screwed it up.

The first six told a story. The last three just tried to force something new. Could have let Luke, Han, and Leia finish it.

So disappointed in what they did with Luke especially. Never gave him a moment to kicks some ass. Just forced to watch the new main boring characters ruin one of the greatest franchises ever. Sad.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
IF you both think it sucks, why do you watch it?

I think Titanic sucks. I haen't seen it since 1997. I'll never understand the desire to watch movies wire to wire that you think are so terrible.
AliasMan02
AG
This would have been awesome.

Chipotlemonger
AG
I get the sentiment, but at what point can 'post-op' be done with? If ROTJ had come out in this era, I wonder how much after-the-fact stuff would be put together like this, published, and talked about ad nauseam?
SpreadsheetAg
AG
I really just wish Luke had been used more. Why couldn't they have told a story of ":

Ep7 Luke building his Academy and training a new generation. A Jedi "Padawan" rebellion due to some nuance in Force philosophy erupts. Ben joins the rebellious Jedi - not dark becessarily but more militant and opposed to some tenet of being a Jedi. Han discovers Rey and brings her to Luke.

Ep8 - (5 years later) Leia dies of old age, and - while grieving and in the search for more knowledge - Ben seeks out holocrons and is influenced by Sith Ghost Sidious. Fights Luke and Rey at the end and loses badly. Rebrands as Kylo Ren.

Ep9 - (5 years later) Ren and his knights wreaking havoc on Galaxy forming a New Consortium of Imperialist Planets. Luke and Young Rey confront him - Luke sacrifices himself to save Rey. Rey turns Ben back to good, destroys Holocrons / Ghost Sidious, but Ben dies saving Rey from his own knights. Rey scatters the knights in a final battle; same ending of her going back to Tatooine etc
Dro07
AG
Quote:

Ep9 - (5 years later) Ren and his knights wreaking havoc on Galaxy forming a New Consortium of Imperialist Planets. Luke and Young Rey confront him - Luke sacrifices himself to save Rey. Rey turns Ben back to good, destroys Holocrons / Ghost Sidious, but Ben dies saving Rey from his own knights. Rey becomes enraged and finally becomes a Mighty Jedi Super Saiyin destroying the knights; same ending of her going back to Tatooine etc
minor tweak
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

I really just wish Luke had been used more. Why couldn't they have told a story of ":

Ep7 Luke building his Academy and training a new generation. A Jedi "Padawan" rebellion due to some nuance in Force philosophy erupts. Ben joins the rebellious Jedi - not dark becessarily but more militant and opposed to some tenet of being a Jedi. Han discovers Rey and brings her to Luke.

Ep8 - (5 years later) Leia dies of old age, and - while grieving and in the search for more knowledge - Ben seeks out holocrons and is influenced by Sith Ghost Sidious. Fights Luke and Rey at the end and loses badly. Rebrands as Kylo Ren.

Ep9 - (5 years later) Ren and his knights wreaking havoc on Galaxy forming a New Consortium of Imperialist Planets. Luke and Young Rey confront him - Luke sacrifices himself to save Rey. Rey turns Ben back to good, destroys Holocrons / Ghost Sidious, but Ben dies saving Rey from his own knights. Rey scatters the knights in a final battle; same ending of her going back to Tatooine etc
Well for starters, your movie doesn't have Han Solo.
AliasMan02
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

I get the sentiment, but at what point can 'post-op' be done with? If ROTJ had come out in this era, I wonder how much after-the-fact stuff would be put together like this, published, and talked about ad nauseam?

It's just concept art. It was never part of the planned story. Just thought it was a cool visual and tied back to the collective memory of the Tusken regarding lightsabers... I don't think that one was the one Anakin used to slaughter them, but just in general.
Agsrback12
Just watched it for the first time to finish the last three. Didn't watch a single one of the new ones in theater.

Won't watch Rise of Skywalker again.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

I don't think that one was the one Anakin used to slaughter them, but just in general.
I believe you are correct. Anakin slaughtered those Tusken Raiders before heading to Geonosis, where he lost his lightsaber in the droid factory when the machine tool cut it in half.
redline248
AG
Anakin also killed that entire camp. All other tuskens would have known is that a whole camp got killed (assuming it was ever found by others), not how or by what kind of weapon.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
There was an old EU book called Tatooine Ghost that had a subplot of the Tuskens never going near that village that Anakin slaughtered because they think it's haunted by a Jedi.
txagman1998
AG
Quote:

Anakin also killed that entire camp. All other tuskens would have known is that a whole camp got killed (assuming it was ever found by others), not how or by what kind of weapon.

The Tusken Raider massacre is one plot hole from AOTC that I've never figured out. He admits to Padme that he slaughtered them, and specifically mentions that he killed the women and children as well as the men. And Padme doesn't seem to have a problem with it. Shouldn't this have bothered her to the point that she tells someone on the Jedi Council?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Considering that immediately after this Padme almost dies in an industrial smelting "accident", is saved by a flying astromech, taken prisoner by Count Dooku, almost killed by a giant cat in front of 8 billion bugs who want her to die, saved by Anakin from said cat, involved in a giant firefight alongside 50 Jedi vs. 5,000 battledroids and super battledroids, falls out of a flying gunship, tries to shoot down Dooku as he escapes, and sees her protector with his arm lopped off, and probably has no freaking idea what Tusken Raiders even are, considering she spent about 24 hours on Tatooine 10 years earlier and then is there for another 24 hours in the present, maybe it sort of doesn't seem like the biggest deal to her?
twilly
AG
Episode 2 of Disney Galleries is a pure gem for fans. Discusses the legacy of Star Wars and how the filmakers of The Mandalorian we're shaped by it.

It also has a segment by Dave Filoni that is one of best explanations on the main theme of the first six movies that I have ever heard. It actually made me appreciate the prequels even more.

You're missing out if you're not watching this series.

Ranger fans you're not dreaming! The Rangers are the World Series Champions!
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Was considering starting this ... now you've given me the nudge to go ahead and watch.
wangus12
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Considering that immediately after this Padme almost dies in an industrial smelting "accident", is saved by a flying astromech, taken prisoner by Count Dooku, almost killed by a giant cat in front of 8 billion bugs who want her to die (while looking sexy as hell), saved by Anakin from said cat, involved in a giant firefight alongside 50 Jedi vs. 5,000 battledroids and super battledroids, falls out of a flying gunship, tries to shoot down Dooku as he escapes, and sees her protector with his arm lopped off, and probably has no freaking idea what Tusken Raiders even are, considering she spent about 24 hours on Tatooine 10 years earlier and then is there for another 24 hours in the present, maybe it sort of doesn't seem like the biggest deal to her?
FIFY
AliasMan02
AG
redline248 said:

There's a pretty cool little coda to one of the comics that takes place after Vader, in a return to Tatooine, takes time to go slaughter a bunch of Tusken. Their reaction to this is that this act of ultimate power and violence grows to mythic proportions such that they (at least some of them) begin to worship him as a dark god.

redline248
AG
txagman1998 said:

Quote:

The Tusken Raider massacre is one plot hole from AOTC that I've never figured out. He admits to Padme that he slaughtered them, and specifically mentions that he killed the women and children as well as the men. And Padme doesn't seem to have a problem with it. Shouldn't this have bothered her to the point that she tells someone on the Jedi Council?
Aside from what Muck said, Padme also wasn't necessarily loyal to the Jedi. At least not as much as she was to Anakin, at that point. She basically coerced Anakin into defying the Jedi by going to Geonosis after the council told him to stay his ass put.
MooreTrucker
AG
Our quarantine plan is to watch all of the movies in chronological order. We've seen 9 so far, and the last two within the next few days.

THEN I will come back and read this awesome thread.
First Page Last Page
Page 943 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.