Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,860,196 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 9 hrs ago by TCTTS
Fat Bib Fortuna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Look what the Zillo Beast dragged in.

TCTTS
AG
rhutton125
AG
https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/09/27/kevin-feige-leave-marvel-star-wars-movie

Makes sense..
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

Can't say I disagree with Jahn's thoughts here.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Point 1: Who's reading Bob Iger's book anyway? I could be on a deserted island with 1 book and still have to really think if I wanted to read it.

Point 2: On October 30, 2012, Disney announced a deal to acquire Lucasfilm for $4.05 billion, with approximately half in cash and half in shares of Disney stock. Get it over it, Lucas.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Not planning on buying it, but I'd definitely read it. I'm sure many would.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

Collider is spot-on. Didn't even realize how quickly the narrative turned from the "Lucas betrayed" story to the Feige story.

Well played, Lucasfilm.
TCTTS
AG

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-disneys-search-a-direction-1243738
TCTTS
AG

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/obi-wan-kenobi-tv-series-finds-director-deborah-chow-1243984
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Sounds like a vote of confidence in Chow.
Thanks and gig'em
TCTTS
AG
Pretty impressive TV resume...

Quote:

Chow has proved herself in the elevated genre space in cable series. In addition to two episodes of Mandalorian, she has directed and worked on shows such as American Gods, Better Call Saul, Lost in Space, Jessica Jones, Reign and Mr. Robot. She is repped by WME.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Who's showrunner? Is she directing every episode?
AliasMan02
AG
TCTTS said:

Evans should play Sergeant Kreel in a SCAR movie.

YouBet
AG
TCTTS said:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-disneys-search-a-direction-1243738

Quote:

That works for a movie reintroducing the franchise to audiences, but as subsequent Disney movies made clear, there wasn't a lot of evolution from that model: Rogue One, Star Wars: The Last Jedi and Solo all are rooted visually, tonally and, for that matter, textually in the original trilogy.
Wut. Possibly one of the more ignorant and false comments made about a Star Wars movie [Rogue One] that I've seen. The reason I liked it the best of the new films is because it was visually, tonally, and textually different.
TCTTS
AG
It's a direct prequel to A New Hope that retains a lot of that movie's production design, is beholden to its plot, etc. Yes, it "feels" different, but is still very much entrenched in traditional Star Wars as we know it.
YouBet
AG
TCTTS said:

It's a direct prequel to A New Hope that retains a lot of that movie's production design, is beholden to its plot, etc. Yes, it "feels" different, but is still very much entrenched in traditional Star Wars as we know it.
I mean, I guess, but it has so many elements that are wholly different than the others.

• Pacific WW2 like battle.
  • Everyone dies.
  • Pretty hardcore rebel attacks reminiscent of the ME.
  • Darth Vader actually straight up murdering some people in a glorious manner.
  • One of the main good guys murders a compatriot.

It's tonally way different IMO.
TCTTS
AG
You're totally right. I just think you're taking the quote a little too literally. The overall point is that the new movies haven't branched out at all yet from what we know. Rogue One is the most different tonally but it's also the most connected plot wise and literally features Darth Vader as a villain. It's still not something that takes a real chance or makes an effort not to include any Skywalker saga characters, plots, etc.
YouBet
AG
TCTTS said:

You're totally right. I just think you're taking the quote a little too literally. The overall point is that the new movies haven't branched out at all yet from what we know. Rogue One is the most different tonally but it's also the most connected plot wise and literally features Darth Vader as a villain. It's still not something that takes a real chance or makes an effort not to include any Skywalker saga characters, plots, etc.
Maybe I am. I think I just would have called out R1 as the biggest divergence from the others while remaining in the same plot line. Anywho, agree with the article.
Liquid Wrench
Speaking of R1, was watching a little bit the other day and was reminded of something. I think this was the first mention of "The Whills," which we saw mentioned in notes about Lucas's outlines for the sequels. Of course, they don't say much about it, other than that the guardians are trouble makers.

This is probably a "no ****" thing for people who keep up with the expanded universe, but it made me wonder how much the whole "Whills" thing was seriously considered.
PatAg
AG
I really hope the Feige rumors are true.
TCTTS
AG
Disney co-chairmen Alan Horn confirmed it in The Hollywood Reporter article. It's official.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Social Media Influencer said:

Speaking of R1, was watching a little bit the other day and was reminded of something. I think this was the first mention of "The Whills," which we saw mentioned in notes about Lucas's outlines for the sequels. Of course, they don't say much about it, other than that the guardians are trouble makers.

This is probably a "no ****" thing for people who keep up with the expanded universe, but it made me wonder how much the whole "Whills" thing was seriously considered.

I think the "Whills" was Lucas' original name for the Force in his first Star Wars outlines way back when.
Thanks and gig'em
Velvet Jones
AG
Prologue from the 1976 novelization:

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Awesome. It's so cool reading about the story of the prequels 30+ years before it become a reality.

And the tone of that reads like the opening text of The Terminator, to me. The backstory you never see.

Which makes perfect sense. Cameron directly credits Star Wars for his career.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
When I saw that reference to the Whills in an above post, that image you posted is the first thing I thought of. I probably read that novelizaton 100 times as a 10-12 year old.
TCTTS
AG
I posted this last week in regards to the Iger/Lucas outline news, but Lucas' version of the sequel trilogy (that he gave to Iger/Kennedy/Abrams in outline form) would have been all about the Whills, and he gave a pretty solid explanation as to what the Whills were...

Quote:

"[The next three 'Star Wars' films] were going to get into a microbiotic world," he told Cameron. "There's this world of creatures that operate differently than we do. I call them the Whills. And the Whills are the ones who actually control the universe. They feed off the Force."

Elsewhere in the conversation, Lucas admitted, "Everybody hated it in 'Phantom Menace' [when] we started talking about midi-chlorians." In terms of his storytelling, Lucas regarded individuals as "vehicles for the Whills to travel around in... And the conduit is the midi-chlorians. The midi-chlorians are the ones that communicate with the Whills. The Whills, in a general sense, they are the Force."

Lucas is confidant that had he kept his company, the Whills-focused films "would have been done. Of course, a lot of the fans would have hated it, just like they did 'Phantom Menace' and everything, but at least the whole story from beginning to end would be told."

https://www.indiewire.com/2018/06/george-lucas-episode-vii-episode-ix-1201974276/
AliasMan02
AG
His constant revision of what his "plan" was is so infuriating.
YouBet
AG
TCTTS said:

I posted this last week in regards to the Iger/Lucas outline news, but Lucas's version of the sequel trilogy (that he gave to Iger/Kennedy/Abrams in outline form) would have been all about the Whills, and he gave a pretty solid breakdown as to what they were...

Quote:

"[The next three 'Star Wars' films] were going to get into a microbiotic world," he told Cameron. "There's this world of creatures that operate differently than we do. I call them the Whills. And the Whills are the ones who actually control the universe. They feed off the Force."

Elsewhere in the conversation, Lucas admitted, "Everybody hated it in 'Phantom Menace' [when] we started talking about midi-chlorians." In terms of his storytelling, Lucas regarded individuals as "vehicles for the Whills to travel around in... And the conduit is the midi-chlorians. The midi-chlorians are the ones that communicate with the Whills. The Whills, in a general sense, they are the Force."

Lucas is confidant that had he kept his company, the Whills-focused films "would have been done. Of course, a lot of the fans would have hated it, just like they did 'Phantom Menace' and everything, but at least the whole story from beginning to end would be told."

https://www.indiewire.com/2018/06/george-lucas-episode-vii-episode-ix-1201974276/
Man, this sounds stupid. I do appreciate how he acknowledges that we would all hate it, too.
YouBet
AG
Also, interesting that the term New Order existed before the term Empire in that original novelization?
double aught
AG
YouBet said:

TCTTS said:

I posted this last week in regards to the Iger/Lucas outline news, but Lucas's version of the sequel trilogy (that he gave to Iger/Kennedy/Abrams in outline form) would have been all about the Whills, and he gave a pretty solid breakdown as to what they were...

Quote:

Man, this sounds stupid. I do appreciate how he acknowledges that we would all hate it, too.
Star Wars also sounded stupid before it hit theaters. It's interesting to read about.

But yeah, this would probably have sucked.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
AliasMan02 said:

His constant revision of what his "plan" was is so infuriating.
Do you have some kind of link that shows definitively what his plan was?

I can't really offer any proof, but I do know that I had read since the late '70s about his plan for a 9-film saga that was roughly what he presented for Episodes 1 - 6. Details in whatever I read, in Starlog magazine or wherever, were never really provided beyond big scope things, like Obi-Wan defeating Anakin on a lava planet, for instance. And yes, there have been some inconsistencies or things that just don't seem to line up right, but nothing to the point of this consistent derision of the man's vision for this story.
AliasMan02
AG
Well to suggest that any plan ever involved a series of movies that occurred at the micro-universe level is asinine.

Some things are simple. Lucas talks about thinks like Vader always being Anakin's father, when we have the scripts that show it's not true. It was obviously a great change, but it demonstrates that this map that he always claims existed in his head was far from concrete. As does all the total whiffs on continuity in the prequels.

This is just a summary/excerpt but gets into some of the post-empire stuff with Kurtz:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/original-star-wars-producer-explains-what-went-wrong-af-5611489

Here's actually a good one. The source is weird but it's actually an AP article. Shows pretty conclusively that even the number of episodes "planned" was always up in the air:

https://nationalpost.com/entertainment/did-george-lucas-plan-to-make-three-star-wars-trilogies-nine-films-in-total-all-along

What drives me bonkers about it is we get comments from Lucas about things like this article about movies taking place in a micro-universe like that was always in the cards. It's okay to say "I had this new idea for how it might progress" and just let it go at that. But we even know details of his treatment for Episode VII from just a few years ago. It obviously wasn't all about midi-clorians and Whills.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Thanks for the links. I'll take a look at them when I get some free time later today.

I doubt there was a lot of concrete things in Lucas' head regarding Star Wars treading into territory such as this micro-whatever stuff. There were other things, like Luke and Leia's biological relationship, that I recall reading at some point was not his original plan for those characters. But when trying to remember where I've read these things over the years, 40+ years later, well, I've slept a bunch since then and my memory isn't what it used to be at times. The late 70s was a great time to be a kid, but we didn't have instant access to movie information like we do now. I probably ran across some interview with Lucas in a magazine like Starlog, or perhaps included in one of the Marvel comic books that Marvel published in 1978 or thereabouts, or maybe even in a local newspaper. Who knows? But I do recall the 9-movie saga statement, a reference to an Imperial City (we saw that as Coruscant), and a few other things that have appeared in the prequels.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Ulrich
I don't know if he's flat out lying in an attempt to look like a genius, or if he has just had a ton of ideas bouncing around in his head forever and has a bad case of selective memory.
First Page Last Page
Page 856 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.