Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,858,753 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by TCTTS
jokershady
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Didn't Quinten Tarantino direct his first film with virtually no prior experience / training?

Not saying THIS is a good idea cause we don't know....but just sayin....
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
jokershady
AG
Ok that tweet was plain wrong (hence why it looked like he deleted it)

Here's what's actually credited to her name prior to TROS:

Monster Challenge (exec. Producer)
The Force Awakens (co producer)
Star Trek: Into Darkness (co producer)
Super 8 (associate producer)

She also apparently did some work with MI: Ghost Protocol but not taking the time to deep dive on what that was.
TCTTS
AG
He said "FULL" producer. In other words, EIX is the only movie she's ever received a full producing credit, so he was correct. "Executive producer" is a very different credit, and "co-producer" and "associate producer" aren't quite there yet either. Still, she clearly has experiences It's just a little weird that someone that young is now in charge of such a massive undertaking.
AliasMan02
AG
What's the issue here? I don't get it. This is what fans have been asking for, right? Devoting someone to put a hand on the wheel of the franchise is great news.
Flashdiaz
AG
Don't know enough to get disturbed or happy about it.

Maybe some wanted Dave Feloni in that role.
TCTTS
AG
I think it'll be fine. Again, it's just a little random to bring in someone so young and with so little experience, relatively speaking. She was literally an assistant at Bad Robot three years before TFA came out and now she's basically running the most important division at Lucasfilm. She's either a genuine all-star and maybe the next Feige, or she crashes and burns.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I really hope this wasn't solely done for optics.
TCTTS
AG
I'm betting that was at least 50% of it.
Urban Ag
AG
Well, good for her I guess. She's in the club and she's gonna get rich.

Think of it like Kliff Kingsbury. Kliff was basically the Ball Manager at UH until he timed the co-offensive coordinator with Case Keenum. Sumlin promoted him and he rode the Keenum wave. Then Sumlin took him to A&M and yep, lightening in a bottle again. JFF. This got him to the HC job at Technalista Tech University of West Texas. Where he was basically mediocre at best. But he's in the club. Cardinals pick him up after Tech canned him because "he's in the club".

This gal could be a rock star or just Kingsbury good at timing. We'll see. If she stinks it up at Disney she'll still land at least another major executive role somewhere else. And if she stinks it up again she'll be semi retired by 40 with a sh** load in the bank. Write a book about breaking a glass ceiling in Hollywood. Good life.

Not bad. Not bad at all.
AliasMan02
AG
Flashdiaz said:

Don't know enough to get disturbed or happy about it.

Maybe some wanted Dave Feloni in that role.

I'm not sure that's a role for a creative guy like DF. He's a little weird as well. This is someone who has to give earnings reports to the board and things like that.
AliasMan02
AG
I don't think it's fair to assume tokenism.

And if they did settle on wanting a woman in the role ahead of time, they had literally the entire industry to choose from. It doesn't slight her at all to be the one selected. The fact that they went with someone who is obviously a rising star is encouraging. Putting some Disney lifer in there would be far more discouraging to me.

She'll have a tough road, no matter what.
TCTTS
AG
In agreement with the rising star aspect. Hopefully she's hungry and has a vision.
fig96
AG
Urban Ag said:

Think of it like Kliff Kingsbury. Kliff was basically the Ball Manager at UH until he timed the co-offensive coordinator with Case Keenum. Sumlin promoted him and he rode the Keenum wave. Then Sumlin took him to A&M and yep, lightening in a bottle again. JFF. This got him to the HC job at Technalista Tech University of West Texas. Where he was basically mediocre at best. But he's in the club. Cardinals pick him up after Tech canned him because "he's in the club".
Kinda worth noting that he's also a hell of an offensive playcaller. Timing is everything though.
Urban Ag
AG
AliasMan02 said:

I don't think it's fair to assume tokenism.

And if they did settle on wanting a woman in the role ahead of time, they had literally the entire industry to choose from. It doesn't slight her at all to be the one selected. The fact that they went with someone who is obviously a rising star is encouraging. Putting some Disney lifer in there would be far more discouraging to me.

She'll have a tough road, no matter what.
yup. Great point.
Urban Ag
AG
Case Keenum, Johnny F'n Football, and Patrick Mahomes say hi, howdy, 'sup?

fig96
AG
And I clearly said "timing is everything". But the guy is a great playcaller. The two things aren't mutually exclusive.

But not relevant to the thread, sorry to derail.
Urban Ag
AG
yep, derail over
Ag Since 83
AG
Of the various trees they could have picked someone (Disney, Lucas, etc.) I'm happy they went with someone from the JJ tree.

It could've been Rian Johnson, you know. *ducks*
TCTTS
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
TCTTS said:

Thanks.

Now, like the scene in Alien where Sigourney Weaver is purportedly the last human remaining aboard the Nostromo and is running down a dark hall and we see a quick glimpse of some random dude stepping behind a door way built into the hall set, I will never not be able to notice the somewhat visible words on the bottom of Luke's lightsabre.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Or the stormtrooper bumping his head on the sliding door on the Death Star in Ep4
Liquid Wrench
That sent me on a mildly interesting google trail of the Graflex 3-cell. I'm sure I'd probably seen it mentioned in old documentaries, but it was basically new information at this point.
twilly
AG
You can also see the British manufacturer's name "EVERETT" on the syringe of the interrogation droid in ANH.

But my favorite is the pinup and movie posters in the cockpit of the Tantive IV
Mac94
AG
How did those not make it into the end scene of Rouge One?
Liquid Wrench
R
O
G
U
E
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Mac94 said:

How did those not make it into the end scene of Rouge One?
Captain Antilles only put them up after Leia was shown to her quarters.
AliasMan02
AG
Just a few chapters in, but Alphabet Squadron is off to a great start. Gonna be a book of spies and skullduggery, which is not what I expected.
jackie childs
TCTTS said:

pretty sure that says New Yavin
Ag Since 83
AG
AliasMan02 said:

Just a few chapters in, but Alphabet Squadron is off to a great start. Gonna be a book of spies and skullduggery, which is not what I expected.

Good to hear. When Amazon delivered it I realized I should probably finish up Master and Apprentice, which I finally did earlier this week. Hope to get started on Alphabet Squadron this weekend.
TCTTS
AG
So tonight I was out with three friends celebrating one of their birthdays. The one with the birthday is a good friend, and one of his friends was one of the other three guys; someone I've seen / hung out with a handful of times over the years - I guess I'd call him a friend - but he's never been someone I've been super close with. Anyway, he's a fairly prominent screenwriter, and I knew he used to be an actor back in the late '90s; not a big name or anything, but had bit parts in a few things here and there. Well, tonight he told me something that blew my mind...

The role of Anakin in Episode II came down to him and Hayden Christensen.

He was acting in a play in New York at the time and George Lucas and the head of Lucasfilm casting, Robin Gurland, flew out to meet with him in person at a hotel after he tested quite a few times remotely. They had a four-hour meeting, and at the end of the meeting, Lucas literally told him that he was a better actor than Christensen, but that my buddy was just slightly too old (he was 22 at the time and Christensen was 19). Otherwise, my buddy would have been the one Lucas flew out to Skywalker Ranch to do a final test with Portman instead of Christensen. He said he was so heartbroken when he lost the role that he quit acting altogether and that's when he moved to LA to pursue writing.

I don't want to post his name here so this isn't Google-able, but he's no one anyone here has ever heard of. Still, I can't believe that I've known this guy on and off for 14 years and only heard about this story tonight. I was obsessed with the Episode II Anakin casting search back in the day, and to know that an acquaintance of mine was actually Lucas' first choice for the role is insane. The prequels really would have been so different with this guy - he's the opposite of a wooden actor/personality (though I don't know if anyone could have saved Lucas' dialogue) - and it's crazy to think how close those movies came to being even marginally better without Christensen in the role, easily my least favorite part of the prequels.
Ag Since 83
AG
TCTTS said:

Lucas literally told him that he was a better actor than Christensen, but that my buddy was just slightly too old (he was 22 at the time and Christensen was 19).
It's like Lucas actively searched for reasons to make the wrong choice
bangobango
AG

YouTube clip may be too spoilery for some. I don't think it is, but everyone has different definitions, so watch at your own risk. So, looks like Luke is going to be used just for marketing.
TCTTS
AG
I think you're jumping to the wrong conclusions there.
bangobango
AG
TCTTS said:

I think you're jumping to the wrong conclusions there.

Hard to trust them at this point. I feel like they bait and switched me with TLJ marketing and the actual product. I hope you are right.
First Page Last Page
Page 832 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.